Man Chooses to Swap Disabled Hand for Bionic Replacement

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
This is so cool, and not just a guy regaining use of his hand! I'd totally get one of those, but I have full use of my hands. Seriously, how is bionic augmentation not the most awesome thing we could do with our bodies? Somebody please invent bionic eyes...I'm kinda sick of having to wear glasses and only being able to see between ~450-750nm.
That's what laser eye surgery is for.
About $3000 per eye, and it won't do anything about that limited range. I want to see in the IR-UV range, damnit!
Whatever, man. Once the inevitable EMP terrorist apocalyptic strike shuts down North America I'll be sitting pretty with my 20/20 vision while you're stumbling around blind.

This amuses me.
I'm pretty sure you'd die in that attack, along with everybody else in the blast radius who happens to be exposed to the atmosphere. Sooo...let's assume we both live. I get to have my awesome vision, and you...get to be food? idk, what would you inferior unaugmented humans do in the post-apocalyptic world? Aside from, you know, being hunted for sport...

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
I'm pretty sure you'd die in that attack, along with everybody else in the blast radius who happens to be exposed to the atmosphere. Sooo...let's assume we both live. I get to have my awesome vision, and you...get to be food? idk, what would you inferior unaugmented humans do in the post-apocalyptic world? Aside from, you know, being hunted for sport...
And therein lies the problem with augmentation, whether mechanical or genetic. It gives you an false feeling of superiority.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
PrinceofPersia said:
thethingthatlurks said:
And therein lies the problem with augmentation, whether mechanical or genetic. It gives you an incorrect feeling of superiority.
Silence, future food! The stress from arguing on the internet will make you tough and generally undelectable. And don't forget to baste yourself every hour :p

On a completely unrelated side note, where the hell did I put that oil? My left arm is starting to creak...

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Sacman said:
I'm reminded of the creepy Deus Ex Sarif Industries trailers...

Fuck yeah.

Screw the guys whining about him cutting his hand to get a prostheses. He's entitled to do whatever he wants with his body.

commodore96

Aug 31, 2010
I had a skiing accident that destroyed my right shoulder and I would replace that shoulder in a second with a bionic one if I had the chance.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
This is so cool, and not just a guy regaining use of his hand! I'd totally get one of those, but I have full use of my hands. Seriously, how is bionic augmentation not the most awesome thing we could do with our bodies? Somebody please invent bionic eyes...I'm kinda sick of having to wear glasses and only being able to see between ~450-750nm.
About $3000 per eye, and it won't do anything about that limited range. I want to see in the IR-UV range, damnit!
Whatever, man. Once the inevitable EMP terrorist apocalyptic strike shuts down North America I'll be sitting pretty with my 20/20 vision while you're stumbling around blind.

This amuses me.
The Monster Girl Encyclopedia happens. Google it.

Unless you're at work or near your family. In that case, don't.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Now just install some tools and wireless chips to activate things around the house and you have a deal for Mr. Left. Senor Righty stays with me though.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:

This amuses me.

What, this?
I was expecting something more...fap-worthy, I guess. That's barely DeviantArt material :(

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Kopikatsu said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:

This amuses me.

What, this?
I was expecting something more...fap-worthy, I guess. That's barely DeviantArt material :(
That's just the main article where it describes everything. You have to check MonsterGirlBooru and other various sites to get the fap-worthy material.

Protip: Search 'gif' or 'animation' on MonsterGirlBooru.

Again, this is NSFW. Don't blame me for anything that you find there.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
So what happens if the scene from Evil Dead II happens? Only now it's a robot. Not a zombie. So that's worse!! WE'RE ALL DOOMED I TELLS YA

But no seriously this is pretty damn cool and I'm happy for the guy.

En Row

Apr 18, 2009
After several hand puns later
I am glad to know that humanity is making progress..

....now all I have to do is wait for an artificial vagina

Yes, I fu*king bolded that word

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
i wonder how effective this robot hand will be... they say you have to turn the wrist manually, but i cant imagine everything else works like a perfectly functioning human hand either; can it do the vulcan salute? flip someone off? how fluid is the motion? im curious...

at any rate, we're one step closer to ghost in the shell...ah, the day were everyone can ditch their flabby human bodies for supermodel-sexy android bodies...

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
Alphalpha said:
thethingthatlurks said:
I'm sorry but if you're complaining about the price of laser eye surgery, then I do not think bionic eye's are the thing for you.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
Megacherv said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
It just goes to show what science is capable of when we really knuckle down.
I agree. Science sure is handy. I give those doctors the thumbs up! I just wish I had a grasp on how it all works.
Truly we are living in the digital age.
Oh snap, I missed that one! You really nailed me.
*facepalm*
You'll have to give me a helping hand next time.
I have to say I don't find your request opposable
I'm clutching at straws here. I guess I must be losing my touch.
Maybe you could point me in the right direction?
I...erm...hands...
Yeah, that'll do...
Do you need a hand with that sir?

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
patapolo said:
One word: Skynet.

/thread
Except that Skynet was A.I. and even the cyborgs were A.I. with human skin (and stuff) grown over them. This is just a prosthetic, so an almost completely different thing.

No thread for you, you may however have a consolation cookie http://pective.com/m/cookie

thethingthatlurks said:
what would you inferior unaugmented humans do in the post-apocalyptic world? Aside from, you know, being hunted for sport...
You laugh now but just wait until we "inferior" humans unionise

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
Canadish said:
HankMan said:
It just goes to show what science is capable of when we really knuckle down.
I agree. Science sure is handy. I give those doctors the thumbs up! I just wish I had a grasp on how it all works.
Truly we are living in the digital age.
Oh snap, I missed that one! You really nailed me.
*facepalm*
You'll have to give me a helping hand next time.
I have to say I don't find your request opposable
I'm clutching at straws here. I guess I must be losing my touch.
Maybe you could point me in the right direction?
I don't know, you seem to have a good grasp on the concept, but any more and the gloves are coming off! :mad:
And the gauntlet is thrown.
I warn ye, we're already snatching each others puns here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QVoFOAvcPU

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
It's a step in the right direction. Just a few more years, and the new one will have feeling in it, and full range of motion.

I'm afraid we have to close the tread. We've hit Peak Bold. We can't afford to mine more bold text. It's just too expensive, and the demand is too high.