Man Chooses to Swap Disabled Hand for Bionic Replacement

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Man Chooses to Swap Disabled Hand for Bionic Replacement

Doctors are using technology to do something that biology will apparently never be able to achieve.

A Serbian man known as "Milo," whose hand was disabled in a motorbike accident ten years ago, has elected to have the hand removed and replaced with a bionic prosthesis. The hand will take electrical impulses from Milo's arm, and convert them into movement, giving him the use of his hand back for the first time in a decade.

Milo's injury, a "brachial plexus" injury to his left shoulder, left his arm paralyzed. Doctors were able to give Milo use of his arm back by transplanting nerve and muscle tissue from his leg, but they were unable to give him back the use of his hand. The idea of elective amputation was put before Milo three years ago, and doctors gave him a hybrid hand, which attached under his left arm, so he could get used to using the prosthetic. "The operation will change my life," Milo said. "I live ten years with this hand and it cannot be [made] better. The only way is to cut this down and I get a new arm."

There has been some opposition to the procedure, but Professor Aszmann, who performed the surgery, felt that amputation and prosthesis was the only really effective option available for Milo. "To biologically reconstruct a hand for him would be a never-ending story and in the end he would still have a non-functional hand," he said. "It is in the patient's interest to provide him with a solution he can live with properly and successfully, and so I have no problem with cutting off his hand."

The prosthetic that Milo will receive must have its wrist manually rotated, but work on more advanced models is underway. The newer models have three times as many sensors as Milo's hand, and allow for an even greater range of movement.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13273348]

ssManae

Aug 13, 2009
Was wondering when this was going to pop up. Some exciting stuff happening in the prosthetic field. Once they finish getting the contact probes to stick to the brain (they slide off after a bit at the moment...) we might get to see entire arms like this.

I do have to wonder what the battery life on it is, though.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
That thing looks like a Deus Ex mechanical augmentation.

This excites me and scares me greatly.

MeatsOfEvil

Dec 4, 2009
Edit - double post, sorry for that. I still do think that's really cool though, and a bit overdue.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
This is so cool, and not just a guy regaining use of his hand! I'd totally get one of those, but I have full use of my hands. Seriously, how is bionic augmentation not the most awesome thing we could do with our bodies? Somebody please invent bionic eyes...I'm kinda sick of having to wear glasses and only being able to see between ~450-750nm.

Alphalpha

Jan 11, 2010
thethingthatlurks said:
This is so cool, and not just a guy regaining use of his hand! I'd totally get one of those, but I have full use of my hands. Seriously, how is bionic augmentation not the most awesome thing we could do with our bodies? Somebody please invent bionic eyes...I'm kinda sick of having to wear glasses and only being able to see between ~450-750nm.
That's what laser eye surgery is for.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Just waitin' for my full-prosthetic body...
This.

Immortality, and mind controlled electronics are one step closer...

If only they allowed commercial use for this stuff...

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
This just gave me a little hope!
I'm 60 % paralysed in my entire left arm, the result of damage to my shoulder when I was born. There is no way I can get my arm to move properly again except for this.

Mighty good news indeed.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I'm reminded of the creepy Deus Ex Sarif Industries trailers...

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
patapolo said:
One word: Skynet.

/thread
No. Not /thread. I'm f-cking sick of this tired bullsh-t coming up every time something even vaguely robotic is mentioned. It's not Skynet, it's an injured man regaining the use of a lost appendage.
No offence.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
This is quite the interesting advancement.

Now lets just hope no one tries to replace their arm with a prosthetic made out of their wife.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
PureIrony said:
This is quite the interesting advancement.

Now lets just hope no one tries to replace their arm with a prosthetic made out of their wife.
Or a mech suit made out of your mom.