Man dies protesting helmet law

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43624650/ns/us_news-life/?gt1=43001

Apparently he fell off his motorcycle and died when he struck his head. Having a helmet on would have saved his life. Share your thoughts

Travuersa

Feb 27, 2011
It's sad. I hope his death will teach other anti-helmet activist the true cost of abstaining.

Digital_Hero

Jan 27, 2010
My thoughts: dumb ass. If this was something with bicycles then id just say protest away, but motorcycles? This poor fool just illustrated how critical it is to wear a helmet. His death even rubs in the fact that he would have lived if he wore it. Death by irony, anyone?

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
"Maybe I don't want anything between me and the road"
"You will if your head falls on it!"

~Wild Hogs

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Um, irony?

I feel sorry for the guy. Seriously, that would be the one of the worst ways to go. But obviously this is the perfect reason for manditory helmets :(

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
I hate to say it, (Yet not really) but that is hilarious! Ironic and humorous indeed. That is what he gets for being an idiot

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
He was stupid; purposefully riding without a helmet was pretty dumb. But I actually agree with him. The problem with both the helmet and seat belt laws is that the only person at risk is the one not wearing one of the aforementioned equipment. American government is intended to allow freedom, essentially meaning that you can do whatever idiotic thing you want as long as it's not going to hurt someone else, which is why things like murder and theft are illegal but licking a spark plug is not. Laws are not supposed to keep us safe from ourselves, they're supposed to keep us safe from others and others safe from us.

Issue being, sometimes we forget to put on a seatbelt. Or perhaps we lost our helmet. And we end up needing to pay a ticket because we had the audacity to put ourselves, and no one else, at risk, probably just because of forgetfulness or something. I don't see that as in line with the constitution or generally okay on principle for a country that was formed specifically with freedom in mind.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
He's an idiot, no doubt, but that's really not the kind of thing we should be making laws about. If someone wants to kill themselves, let them do so without spending money (we don't have) trying to stop them.

Friendshipandmagic

May 13, 2011
OptimusPrime33 said:
He's a fucking idiot. I'm sorry but, if you ride a motorcycle, or any other 2-4 wheeled vehicle, and are not wearing a helmet and you fall, I don't feel sorry for you because I believe you are a total imbecile.
I agree, glad to see another one removed from the gene pool.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Kind of tragic really. I understand that people like choices but it's a safety precaution, as illustrated by this mans untimely death.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Darwin for the win.

recaptcha: misheds sensuality

What the hell is Inglip trying to tell me? Get some lovin', but get so drunk first I won't remember it?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Oh I'm gonna sound horrible, but I love when common sense wins out in the end.

Thaius said:
And we end up needing to pay a ticket because we had the audacity to put ourselves, and no one else, at risk, probably just because of forgetfulness or something.
You could make an case that not doing these actions would make the impression on young minds that its oka not to wear a seat belt, and should YOU wreck for stupidity, the impressionable youth also gets hurt for mimicing your actions.

Not saying I believe it or its true, just saying.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
itsausernamewhatofit said:
This is both hilarious and terrible at the same time
basically this, I laughed on the inside when I read the story

and it's also funny (in an ironic sort of way) that this is one of the strongest examples of proving yourself very, very wrong

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah, I dont see any proof that having a helmet on would have saved his life. Encapsulated helms are notorious for complete neck snaps. Open face helms are notorious for face burns typically resulting in cart being lodged into brain.

Even if it is accurate that having a helm may have in that situation saved his life its not as if that life would be worth living after the injuries incurred from it. How happy and grateful would this guy have been, if his hobby that represented unmitigated freedom for him, would have left him as a quadriplegic?

Besides... there should be no such laws. If people do not wish to protect themselves from death there is no reason why we should force that on them. Hell we need stop safeguarding people from their own stupidity because that was one of the last things we had in nature to thin out the herd. So these laws are not protecting people.. they are just delaying the inevitable.