Man faces jail for handing in a gun.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
*Facepalm at my country*

So he should have left the gun to be found by some kid? Or called the police to come pick it up?

He did the right thing, and if he goes to prison, there is no way that we can say the system works.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
T-Bone24 said:
The judge hearing the case says, "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge. The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."
Judge is a complete Moron, the law may well say that but he's the judge and ultimately it's his call, he should have let the man go.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
FiveSpeedf150 said:
And I'm proud to be an American...
Yeah, it's actually better to have to talk to 9 agencies about turning in a rocket launcher than thrown in jail for doing so.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Furburt said:
IDIOTS!!

How could you possibly misinterpret his actions?

If he came into the police station, waved it about and said "I'll kill you all! Nah, I'm just kidding, here, I found this gun" Then maybe.

But Phoning Ahead?

Some thick planks in the UK police force.
=( This is just another example of why people, and the authorities, are really retarded

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
A man is arrested and prosecuting for doing the right thing. Fucking typical.

It's a perfect example of 'good isn't nice'. Hell, I think this is why a lot of people don't bother to try and do the right thing; statistically, doing the right thing leads you into a lot of trouble very often.

crudus said:
Not only in Britain. A few years ago a teenager (I want to say 16-17) was hunting before school. When he got to school he realized that he still had his pistol. He turned it into the office immediately (because he didn't have time to go home) and was promptly arrested and expelled from school. (a little different circumstances yes but still).
Yet another example... the kid obviously had no ill intentions, but because of one single mistake (A big one, admittedly, but a mistake nonetheless) he ended up sending his life up shit creek.

I despise people who deal in nothing but absolutes for everything. Each situation is different, and I'm sick of the law or people in general ignoring that fact.

thegreatmilenko said:
Typical brits, dumbasses
I'm from the UK. I think you mean 'typical humans', since this is (sadly) hardly a new thing anywhere. I say once again; it seems that people doing good deeds get in far more trouble than those who are actively trying to do wrong.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I once handed in a gun many years ago. It was in a bush that me and a friend were playing adventures or whatever 10 year olds do at that age. I told my dad, he came down, picked it up in a plastic bad and we got in the paper for being the good guys. Now that story above.. thats bull.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
I once handed in a gun many years ago. It was in a bush that me and a friend were playing adventures or whatever 10 year olds do at that age. I told my dad, he came down, picked it up in a plastic bad and we got in the paper for being the good guys. Now that story above.. thats bull.
Oh for fuck sake, you mean there were cases where what SHOULD have happened to someone doing the right thing in a case like this DID happen?

This makes this story even worse.

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
firedfns13 said:
FiveSpeedf150 said:
And I'm proud to be an American...
Yeah, it's actually better to have to talk to 9 agencies about turning in a rocket launcher than thrown in jail for doing so.
I can't wait for the day I find a rocket launcher laying around!

MasterWhatever

Mar 6, 2009
All this really does is makes you question yourself on doing the right thing. It really is sad to see a responsible man punished for a unfair crime.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
If he knew it was illegal, he should have called the police and let them come pick it up themselves. From the sounds of this, however, he had no idea, and thought he was doing something good. The law should be enforced all the time, or else people will take advantage of it, but I feel bad for this poor chap, he obviously got the hardass judge.

It probably doesn't happen often, but if I found a bunch of drugs and walked into the police station with it, I would probably be arrested, no matter my intention, but isn't intent supposed to play a big part in criminal charges?