Man Goes to Jail for Being an Internet Troll

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
trolls get burned and i dont care. Im not a huge fan of the precedent being set but its good to see that the law isnt totally being abused. Plus its three months so its not a huge deal. Therefore I am behind the UKs decision and I think its ridiculous to think that you should be able to shoot your mouth off on the internet and not get in trouble. Usually nothing happens but its the sort of thing that drops your karma so bad things are bound to happen to you

theevilsanta

Jun 18, 2010
Monshroud said:
theevilsanta said:
The government represents men with guns. The moment the government sends its men with guns to arrest someone for posting some words online is the moment information and thought control has begun.
This is not information or thought control. This is someone who went too far. I know this issue happened outside the U.S., but I am not familiar with European law, so this may not be apples to apples.

According to First Amendment advocates and the Supreme Court, certain types of speech are not protected under the First Amendment, such as:
Obscenity, Fighting Words, Defamation, Threats, etc.

The statements this guy made to very specific people could be taken under the first two criteria. Based on that what this is doing is then Disturbing the Peace which at least in the U.S. is considered a cause for arrest and fines (I am not sure about jail time though.) Just because you are on the Internet doesn't give you a free pass to say whatever you want about whatever you want.
The point is people get to say what they want - regardless of how crude or vulgar or all around evil it is. People really can say whatever they want to on the internet, and should be able to. When it's illegal for one man and one instance, it opens the door for it to be illegal for more people and more instances. It may be wrong, but it's right. Understanding ambiguity and paradox is what wisdom is built on, in my opinion anyway.

And I read the further points about the Miller test and such. This speech clearly didn't violate the test.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Miral said:
Andy Chalk said:
Any society that puts people in prison for being a dick is a society that's in deep trouble indeed.
I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm having trouble following this line of reasoning.

Putting the dickheads in prison will reduce the number of dickheads roaming free and therefore increase the politeness of the society as a whole. This cannot be anything other than a good thing for society. (Bonus points if the dickhead gets "scared straight" while in prison; minus points if they get coerced into some more serious crime in later life.)

Of course, practicality enters into it as well (too many dickheads, not enough prisons), and severity of the offense (everyone feels like acting like a dick sometimes, usually in some mild way; that shouldn't confer a prison sentence). But there should be lines, and that guy most definitely crossed most of them.
"We're raising your taxes."
'-Why!?'
- "There are bad people saying mean things on the internet, and some people's feelings were hurt. So we'll put them in jail, and you will pay for it. "

I think that you don't have a nice face.
If you argue that I maliciously posted the above hateful message to you on a public forum to get sexual satisfaction out of my comments and to traumatize you, and that I'm not sorry, should I go to jail? I obviously just crossed 'the line'! (which varies from person to person)

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
theevilsanta said:
Monshroud said:
theevilsanta said:
The government represents men with guns. The moment the government sends its men with guns to arrest someone for posting some words online is the moment information and thought control has begun.
This is not information or thought control. This is someone who went too far. I know this issue happened outside the U.S., but I am not familiar with European law, so this may not be apples to apples.

According to First Amendment advocates and the Supreme Court, certain types of speech are not protected under the First Amendment, such as:

The statements this guy made to very specific people could be taken under the first two criteria. Based on that what this is doing is then Disturbing the Peace which at least in the U.S. is considered a cause for arrest and fines (I am not sure about jail time though.) Just because you are on the Internet doesn't give you a free pass to say whatever you want about whatever you want.
The point is people get to say what they want - regardless of how crude or vulgar or all around evil it is. People really can say whatever they want to on the internet, and should be able to. When it's illegal for one man and one instance, it opens the door for it to be illegal for more people and more instances. It may be wrong, but it's right. Understanding ambiguity and paradox is what wisdom is built on, in my opinion anyway.

And I read the further points about the Miller test and such. This speech clearly didn't violate the test.
If you're searching for those who will understand ambiguity and paradox and this thread is any sort of useful indication, you're unlikely to find many of those among who post to the internet. I fear it's all too easy to substitute a knee-jerk reaction for anything remotely resembling critical thinking.

And I have to give some credit to Monshroud for at least attempting to apply law to facts in a reasoned way -- regardless of the validity of the conclusions drawn thereafter. In my estimation, that beats the pants off simply shouting an unadorned "Death to all trolls!!"

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
ThreeDogsToaster said:
Aesthetical Quietus said:
ThreeDogsToaster said:
Therumancer said:
Well, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about when it comes to other countries in various debates where I talk about how the US has the highest level of freedom and human rights in the world, then someone fires back that it's not true and points out how their nation (which will be something like the UK) is ahead of us according to some statistic or poll, and then something like this happens.

To be honest, I see both sides of the equasion, and why people want to curtail behaviors like this, but to be honest dealing with jerks is the lesser of two evils when it comes to putting people in jail for being jerks given that it opens so much room for abuse.

What's more, freedom of speech, doesn't just mean "freedom of speech you like or agree with" but the freedom to say what you want without these kinds of consequences. Once you start regulating the jerks, it turns into people simply wanting to regulate anyone they don't agree with.

There is no requirement that you have to be nice to anyone, that you have to like everyone, or that you have to remain silent about those you don't like. That's what freedom is all about.

Yes, words can hurt, and do a lot of damage, but as Heinlan put it "You can either have freedom or safety, never both".

That's simply my take on things. There is no doubt in my mind that this guy was an obnoxious trouble maker, indeed he reminds me vaguely of Fred Phelps without the religious overtones, but the police shoulx not have been involved, and sending him to jail was both overkill, and an affront to human rights.
Your freedom to speech does not guarantee you the right to say whatever you want, whenever you want without punishment. You are welcome to say whatever you like whenever you like, but if you say something you shouldn't you are still going to be punished. As a sort of example...
If you call someone a back-stabbing traitor Nazi-extremist pedophilic necrophiliac thief somewhere where it's going to be able to be seen by a lot of people, then you are exercising your right to free speech. However you have just committed a crime (assuming of course they aren't a back-stabbing traitor Nazi-extremist pedophilic necrophiliac thief and that you have don't have proof of this) that crime being of course slander. If that someone doesn't like what you said, they are fully within their rights to sue you.

[I think. Haven't really checked up on U.S law].
I believe "free speech" extends to "Free speech without punishment for what you say" other wise we could just say that killing people for speaking out against the government was totally cool with free speech
EDIT: and to answer your question they are within' their rights to sue you for anything, they just may not win.
Ah, see there is a difference there. You are entitled to your free speech, so long as what you do doesn't break any laws. Speaking out against the government isn't breaking a law. Speaking out and traumatizing a family that is already traumatized is. [As is slander].
But what if traumatizing the family is only a bi-product of you speaking your mind and your viewpoint freely? Then what? Because if you begin judging weather or not something is allowed based on if it offends someone or not, then we have a problem.
I don't know about you but I try to avoid offending people as much as possible. Further more, there is a big difference between offending and traumatizing. It takes a lot of work to make the jump and start Traumatizing, and if you can't distinguish between what is just offensive and what is actually Traumatizing I have no pity for you. You can not viciously attack a family (which is what this is, except mentally rather than physically) and expect to get away with it. It *is* illegal and it is wrong. There is no reason for it to be protected under free speech. You might get away with it if you had a valid reason and it was a crucial part of your argument, but I highly doubt it and can't even envisage a case where it would just be a by-product.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
ThreeDogsToaster said:
ThreeDogsToaster said:
Therumancer said:
Well, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about when it comes to other countries in various debates where I talk about how the US has the highest level of freedom and human rights in the world, then someone fires back that it's not true and points out how their nation (which will be something like the UK) is ahead of us according to some statistic or poll, and then something like this happens.

To be honest, I see both sides of the equasion, and why people want to curtail behaviors like this, but to be honest dealing with jerks is the lesser of two evils when it comes to putting people in jail for being jerks given that it opens so much room for abuse.

What's more, freedom of speech, doesn't just mean "freedom of speech you like or agree with" but the freedom to say what you want without these kinds of consequences. Once you start regulating the jerks, it turns into people simply wanting to regulate anyone they don't agree with.

There is no requirement that you have to be nice to anyone, that you have to like everyone, or that you have to remain silent about those you don't like. That's what freedom is all about.

Yes, words can hurt, and do a lot of damage, but as Heinlan put it "You can either have freedom or safety, never both".

That's simply my take on things. There is no doubt in my mind that this guy was an obnoxious trouble maker, indeed he reminds me vaguely of Fred Phelps without the religious overtones, but the police shoulx not have been involved, and sending him to jail was both overkill, and an affront to human rights.
Your freedom to speech does not guarantee you the right to say whatever you want, whenever you want without punishment. You are welcome to say whatever you like whenever you like, but if you say something you shouldn't you are still going to be punished. As a sort of example...
If you call someone a back-stabbing traitor Nazi-extremist pedophilic necrophiliac thief somewhere where it's going to be able to be seen by a lot of people, then you are exercising your right to free speech. However you have just committed a crime (assuming of course they aren't a back-stabbing traitor Nazi-extremist pedophilic necrophiliac thief and that you have don't have proof of this) that crime being of course slander. If that someone doesn't like what you said, they are fully within their rights to sue you.

I believe "free speech" extends to "Free speech without punishment for what you say" other wise we could just say that killing people for speaking out against the government was totally cool with free speech
EDIT: and to answer your question they are within' their rights to sue you for anything, they just may not win.
Ah, see there is a difference there. You are entitled to your free speech, so long as what you do doesn't break any laws. Speaking out against the government isn't breaking a law. Speaking out and traumatizing a family that is already traumatized is. [As is slander].
But what if traumatizing the family is only a bi-product of you speaking your mind and your viewpoint freely? Then what? Because if you begin judging weather or not something is allowed based on if it offends someone or not, then we have a problem.
I don't know about you but I try to avoid offending people as much as possible. Further more, there is a big difference between offending and traumatizing. It takes a lot of work to make the jump and start Traumatizing, and if you can't distinguish between what is just offensive and what is actually Traumatizing I have no pity for you. You can not viciously attack a family (which is what this is, except mentally rather than physically) and expect to get away with it. It *is* illegal and it is wrong. There is no reason for it to be protected under free speech. You might get away with it if you had a valid reason and it was a crucial part of your argument, but I highly doubt it and can't even envisage a case where it would just be a bi-product.
How about . . .

Prime Minister Overbite's daughter dies a shooting death during a botched robbery attempt in the London Tube. Overbite sets up a memorial site on the 'net. Citizen Assbite, who recently lost her son to an Iraqi IED while he was serving with Her Majesty's Armed Forces and who blames, more than anything else, Overbite for involving the British in a morally corrupt war, posts the following to the site:

"Overbite, you selfish ass:

I'm glad your daughter's dead and I hope that, as we speak, a horde of maggots are invading her cranial cavity through her eye sockets and slowly devouring her brains. Maybe that'll teach you that no parent's child should be forever lost under circumstances that make absolutely no sense.

Sincerely,

A Grieving Mother"

Merely offending? Or traumatizing? Main product? Or by product? Wrong? Illegal? With valid reason? Crucial part of the argument? Does it make a difference if Overbite's daughter was cremated and, therefore, it is technically impossible that a horde of maggots could be slowly devouring her brains? Does it make a difference that while Overbite is generally though to be a wanker of the highest order and his appearances in public are meet with shouts of "Boo" and "Hiss," his daughter was loved by all (and was quite the "hottie" in a Lady Diana kinda sense, which, as far as British women go, is as good as it gets (see, for comparison, Camilla Parker Bowles))?

I dunno. You tell me.

Given all we know about Assbite and her loss, does it make a difference if all she posted was:

"Overbite:

I'm glad your daughter's dead and I hope that, as we speak, a horde of maggots are invading her cranial cavity through her eye sockets and slowly devouring her brains.

Sincerely,

Bite Ass"

Does this slight change in the hypothetical facts change the analysis?

I dunno. You tell me.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
To those who say he shouldn't have gone to jail:

In real life, walking up to someone, insulting them, saying you screwed their dead sister or whatever, it's considered harassment, and is against the law. Harassment charges can include heavy fines, community service, or even jail time.

What the hell makes the internet so different? If you could punch someone through a computer screen, it would still be assault. Thus, unwanted verbal lambasting is still harassment.

"Free speech" my fat hairy ass. Freedom of speech is about being able to voice discontent with your government, and countries without it silence those who speak against them. Slander and libel are still criminal offenses, are they not? Yet people claim freedom of speech when people are charged for those. Are people truly such uneducated brutes as to not understand the limitations to freedom of speech?

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
TheAmazingTGIF said:
This seems like a breach of free speech (I know that it didn't happen in the US, but still)...
He does seem like a massive tool but that is what free speech is about. This could be concerning to people on the internet in the UK.
*facepalm* in the US just like in the UK, those things which may be deemed obscene (and are therefore of no value) aren't covered. I'm sure this has already been said. Also, as someone British, I think Britain is MUCH more open to differing opinions than the US. That's just my view, and I think it's relatively balanced (in as much as someone's personal view can be) as I have dual nationality (US+UK).

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Ranylyn said:
To those who say he shouldn't have gone to jail:

In real life, walking up to someone, insulting them, saying you screwed their dead sister or whatever, it's considered harassment, and is against the law. Harassment charges can include heavy fines, community service, or even jail time.

What the hell makes the internet so different? If you could punch someone through a computer screen, it would still be assault. Thus, unwanted verbal lambasting is still harassment.

"Free speech" my fat hairy ass. Freedom of speech is about being able to voice discontent with your government, and countries without it silence those who speak against them. Slander and libel are still criminal offenses, are they not? Yet people claim freedom of speech when people are charged for those. Are people truly such uneducated brutes as to not understand the limitations to freedom of speech?
If the "law" to which you refer is section 4A of the Public Order Act 1986, as amended by section 154 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (the UK's so-called "criminal harassment law"), then criminal harassment is not, I don't think, usually possible over the internet because according to that law "no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the person who is harassed, alarmed or distressed is also inside that or another dwelling." I think this legislative language effectively rules out your typical internet communication as being any where near possibly harassing. Apparently the folks who draft the UK's laws seem to think that the fact a computer screen is typically found only inside a dwelling is sufficient to remove the internet from the realm of criminal harassment.

Or if you're referring to Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 under which Colm Coss was convicted, neither does that law seemingly contemplate that representations viewed inside a dwelling are criminally harassing. Section 5 provides a statutory defense where "[t]he defendant was in a dwelling and had no reason to believe that his behaviour would be seen or heard by any person outside any dwelling." You may then ask, and reasonably so, why, if Colm Coss had what appears to be a perfectly valid defense, was he nevertheless convicted. And I suspect the answer to that question is because his court-provided, dumb-ass, don't-give-two-shillings-about-a-client's-fate solicitor sat on their big, fat, hairy ass and never raised any such defense on behalf of Mr. Coss. That, coupled with the fact of Mr. Coss not being what's commonly called a "sympathetic defendant" in the eyes of the Court, is probably all it took to seal his fate.

It would seem, at least to me it does, that the purpose, in part, of both Sections 4A and 5 is the preservation of public order and the avoidance of breaches of the peace owing to harassment and the heated emotions of those who have been subject to that harassment. But, much like the understanding reflected in the American concept of "fighting words," it is impossible to cause breaches of the public peace and order if the words in question were received inside a dwelling (obviously, the confines of a private dwelling are beyond considerations of public peace and order preservation) as the vast majority of internet communications are.

I say all of this to say, and in response to you question, that this is what the Hell makes the internet so different.

Every now and then, the fact that I'm a total law geek actually comes in quite handy. It's never gotten me out of a parking ticket but, then again, you can't win 'em all, either.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Dear Mr. Chalk:

Can you gimme some kinda law geek badge, please? I think I've earned one.

Thanks a million,

JDKJ

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Wargamer said:
tsb247 said:
Wargamer said:
Please, define, "Freedumbers," for me.
A Freedumber is someone who believes in Freedumb of speech.

Freedumb of speech is the right to say whatever you want, wherever you want, and there should never be consequences for what you say.

Freedumbers claim this is "Freedom of Speech", which it is not.
Wait, hold on a second. Are you actually trying to say that freedom of speech is a bad thing?

Of course there should be consequences for such things as verbal threats, but freedom of speech is one of the tenants of a progressive society. It's knowing what to censor that is the problem - there are no absolutes.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
theevilsanta said:
Monshroud said:
theevilsanta said:

Actually I feel the point is the fact that people do not have the right to say whatever they want, whenever they want about whatever they want. The Supreme Court agrees with me on that. As has been previously stated since you read the other posts, not all speech is protected. You might think that what he wrote doesn't pass the Miller test, I disagree, and I think a case could be made to show that if this was in the U.S.

In my personal opinion I think people abuse the Internet. They use it as a means to spew whatever bile they want, not because that is what they really think or feel. They do it because they think they don't face any consequence for their actions. Words have weight to them, they have meaning and they can cut like a knife. Had this guy said what he said face to face, that would have been "Fighting Words" or harassment and I don't think the police would have done anything after the guy got his ass handed to him.

This guy wrote something that was designed to hurt and enrage very specific people, for no other reason then he thought he could get away with it. He did it for the fun of it. Had he wrote that he likes to have sex with dead people on 4chan, I wouldn't care. If he wrote a book about having a sexual relationship with a dead boy, I wouldn't care. Had he wrote something on his personal blog, I wouldn't care. Had he gone out and into his town square and get on a soap box and preach about the glory of necrophilia, I would be on your side that his speech is protected. When you seek out specific people and use words that are tailored to hurt them specifically, you are crossing a line.

As I said, it's a blurry line, and the line isn't straight. I don't think trolling should be illegal. I am a proponent of free speech, but freedom doesn't mean no consequences.

"There are none more hopelessly enslaved then those who falsely believe that they are free."
- J W Goethe

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
slopeslider said:
If you argue that I maliciously posted the above hateful message to you on a public forum to get sexual satisfaction out of my comments and to traumatize you, and that I'm not sorry, should I go to jail? I obviously just crossed 'the line'! (which varies from person to person)
You missed what I said about the severity of it. What you said (even if I thought for a moment you were serious, or had any possible basis for comparison) doesn't even come remotely close to what that guy did. And while yes, "the line" is subjective, it's reached by consensus. That's what a jury is for. (But, if the technology existed to give someone a flick behind the ear through the Internet, then you would totally have deserved that. If you were serious. ;))

Ranylyn said:

This.

JDKJ said:
If the "law" to which you refer is section 4A of the Public Order Act 1986, as amended by section 154 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (the UK's so-called "criminal harassment law"), then criminal harassment is not, I don't think, usually possible over the internet because according to that law "no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the person who is harassed, alarmed or distressed is also inside that or another dwelling."
[...]
Or if you're referring to Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 under which Colm Coss was convicted, neither does that law seemingly contemplate that representations viewed inside a dwelling are criminally harassing. Section 5 provides a statutory defense where "[t]he defendant was in a dwelling and had no reason to believe that his behaviour would be seen or heard by any person outside any dwelling."
The former is clearly just a law that doesn't take the existence of the Internet into consideration. The obvious intent is to avoid invading "the privacy of the home", excluding things like domestic disputes.

The second is similar, but you're wrong about that defence being possibly applicable in this case. While it's true that the offence occurred in a private home (or possibly two of them), he definitely had reason to believe that it would be seen by people everywhere. That's what a public forum is. (And even if you want to stick to the "but the Internet only accessible in a dwelling" argument: companies have Internet connections too. And cafes. And cars. And hillsides. None of these are dwellings.)

Besides which, harassment over the phone can result in civil or criminal charges, depending on how far it goes. And the Internet is even more public than that.

ThreeDogsToaster

Aug 14, 2010
ThreeDogsToaster said:
ThreeDogsToaster said:
Therumancer said:

I don't know about you but I try to avoid offending people as much as possible. Further more, there is a big difference between offending and traumatizing. It takes a lot of work to make the jump and start Traumatizing, and if you can't distinguish between what is just offensive and what is actually Traumatizing I have no pity for you. You can not viciously attack a family (which is what this is, except mentally rather than physically) and expect to get away with it. It *is* illegal and it is wrong. There is no reason for it to be protected under free speech. You might get away with it if you had a valid reason and it was a crucial part of your argument, but I highly doubt it and can't even envisage a case where it would just be a by-product.
But then you are deciding what a "valid reason" is, and some people don't give a shit if they offend people, they just speak their mind, and there is nothing wrong with that, so why punish these people? Some people end up "traumatized" by some things that may not traumatize others, so are we judging the action based on the action its self or on the effects of the harmed party? If you leave your own point of reference and look upon the issue objectively, it becomes more complicated then you make it out to be.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Miral said:
slopeslider said:
You missed what I said about the severity of it. What you said (even if I thought for a moment you were serious, or had any possible basis for comparison) doesn't even come remotely close to what that guy did. And while yes, "the line" is subjective, it's reached by consensus. That's what a jury is for. (But, if the technology existed to give someone a flick behind the ear through the Internet, then you would totally have deserved that. If you were serious. ;))

Ranylyn said:

This.

JDKJ said:
If the "law" to which you refer is section 4A of the Public Order Act 1986, as amended by section 154 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 (the UK's so-called "criminal harassment law"), then criminal harassment is not, I don't think, usually possible over the internet because according to that law "no offence is committed where the words or behaviour are used, or the writing, sign or other visible representation is displayed, by a person inside a dwelling and the person who is harassed, alarmed or distressed is also inside that or another dwelling."
[...]
Or if you're referring to Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 under which Colm Coss was convicted, neither does that law seemingly contemplate that representations viewed inside a dwelling are criminally harassing. Section 5 provides a statutory defense where "[t]he defendant was in a dwelling and had no reason to believe that his behaviour would be seen or heard by any person outside any dwelling."
The former is clearly just a law that doesn't take the existence of the Internet into consideration. The obvious intent is to avoid invading "the privacy of the home", excluding things like domestic disputes.

The second is similar, but you're wrong about that defence being possibly applicable in this case. While it's true that the offence occurred in a private home (or possibly two of them), he definitely had reason to believe that it would be seen by people everywhere. That's what a public forum is. (And even if you want to stick to the "but the Internet only accessible in a dwelling" argument: companies have Internet connections too. And cafes. And cars. And hillsides. None of these are dwellings.)

Besides which, harassment over the phone can result in civil or criminal charges, depending on how far it goes. And the Internet is even more public than that.
As I read and understand the law, it matters not a whit how many people see or hear the communication. What matters is where those people are when they see or hear the communication. On what basis is there to conclude that Coss had reason to believe that his postings would be seen by people everywhere outside of any dwelling? This posting that I'm making to you in response to your posting is to a public forum. But I have no reason to believe that you or anyone else will see it beyond the confines of a dwelling. And I'll bet a dollar to a donut that as you read it, you're sitting in a dwelling and nowhere near what would be considered a public space. And I'm sitting in a dwelling while I'm making it. On the facts as I suspect them to be, even if it had contained a harassing communication, I will have a defense to criminal harassment. A "reasonable belief" isn't made unreasonable by the mere fact that it is a mistaken belief. The two are not necessarily the same. A belief is unreasonable only when there is no rational basis for having the belief. Read the laws.

Nor does is matter how the communication is made. Once again, what matters is where the person receiving the communication is at the time of its receipt. In your example of a phone, the phone line isn't what matters. What matters is where the person is standing when they pick up the phone. If the communication by phone is received inside what is clearly a dwelling, do I understand you to say that Sections 4A and 5 would apply so as to make that harassment? I don't think so. Read the laws.

My argument isn't about mere internet access. There's hardly a spot on the planet anymore that doesn't have internet access (and if it doesn't, it's probably not the sort of place where you'll catch me hanging out). It's about where the typical internet communication is actually sent and received. So before you get too attached to your "companies, and cafes, and cars, and hillsides have internet connections, too" argument, you may want to take a look at the statute to first determine if it defines "dwelling" and if that definition jibes with yours in any way. A hotel chain like Hilton or Sheraton is a company and one that provides internet access to its guests, but is a guest in one of their hotel rooms not in a dwelling? Read the laws.

"And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord for ever and ever." -- Psalm 23:6

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Hmmm. So the just thing to do is to allow this guy to tyrannize a family for his sick pleasure? That best suits the interests of freedom? His tyranny, serves freedom? People compare him to a group that goes around to soldiers funerals and protests but at least they have a noble aim to their reprehensible actions, the end of a war and thereby no more soldier's funerals. There's an actual political ambition, not just getting their jollies. People quote Benjamin Franklin in this thread and his whole "sacrificing freedom for safety" thing but he was also against the tyranny that results from the abuse of arbitrarily given powers. If the power of free speech is taken for granted, then this man has clearly abused it's protections. Would Franklin support him or not?

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Hmmm. So the just thing to do is to allow this guy to tyrannize a family for his sick pleasure? That best suits the interests of freedom? His tyranny, serves freedom? People compare him to a group that goes around to soldiers funerals and protests but at least they have a noble aim to their reprehensible actions, the end of a war and thereby no more soldier's funerals. There's an actual political ambition, not just getting their jollies. People quote Benjamin Franklin in this thread and his whole "sacrificing freedom for safety" thing but he was also against the tyranny that results from the abuse of arbitrarily given powers. If the power of free speech is taken for granted, then this man has clearly abused it's protections. Would Franklin support him or not?
The Westboro Baptist Church isn't the least bit interested in ending any wars and thereby preventing further funerals of fallen soldiers. Rather, they celebrate the deaths of those fallen soldiers because, according to them, God is using those deaths to demonstrate His disapproval of homosexuality. They aren't peace activists or war protesters. What they are though, in my opinion, is nothing more than half-baked homophobic zealots who have formed themselves into a hate group masquerading as a "church." And I can't see what's so "noble" in any of that. But I'll nevertheless respect and support their right to freely express their opinions. No matter how half-baked and homophobic those opinions may be. And regardless of the hurt and grief and anguish they cause others by virtue of that speech. Tough teats. That's just the price to be paid for free speech as far as I'm concerned. Freedom ain't free.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
JDKJ said:
The Westboro Baptist Church isn't the least bit interested in ending any wars and thereby preventing further funerals of fallen soldiers. Rather, they celebrate the deaths of those fallen soldiers because, according to them, God is using those deaths to demonstrate His disapproval of homosexuality. They aren't peace activists or war protesters. What they are though, in my opinion, is nothing more than half-baked homophobic zealots who have formed themselves into a hate group masquerading as a "church." And I can't see what's so "noble" in any of that. But I'll nevertheless respect and support their right to freely express their opinions. No matter how half-baked and homophobic those opinions may be. And regardless of the hurt and grief and anguish they cause others by virtue of that speech. Tough teats. That's just the price to be paid for free speech as far as I'm concerned. Freedom ain't free.
I was told by a conservative fellow on another site those were their aims when I'd used them as an example of right-wing insanity before. Of course the web site name leaves little for debate and I should have checked it. None the less the point remains, disgusting as they are they do posses a political agenda. That is the purpose of free speech, not the aggravation of your fellow citizens for it's own sake. If you can prove there was some social inequity or some burden he hoped to redress by saying he'd have sex with corpses I might accept your position. In any event, I don't really respect personal antagonism as an extension of free speech. And I doubt, were you being antagonized, you would either. It's fine and well to sit up on your high horse and say tough teats when it's not your kid. Saying such a thing doesn't display a wealth of understanding, but a lack of it.

For that matter you're arguing fairly relentlessly over an impersonal incident on the internet and you're telling me if someone insulted your dead child you'd shrug, turn around and walk away cause "them's just the breaks of free speech"? If you can't do it now over abstract philosophy it's hard to believe you'd do it then.