Man Jailed for 3 months over Facebook Jokes

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
So a guy has been sentenced to 3 months in prison for posting tasteless jokes on his facebook.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-19869710

What do you guys think of this?

My own opinion is that its quite frieghtning and pretty disgraceful that posting a tastless joke can warrant a prison sentence, even if it is pretty disgusting.
Arent there better things to be spending funds on rather than prosecuting people for bad humor. I mean it was on his own private page, not directed at the family or people involved in the case itself....

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
I think more people should do jailtime for bad humour. Maybe this would finally improve some TV shows...

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I think it is good...

It serves as a deterrent for other people who think that mediums like the internet can be used to cause others hurt and misfortune...

I don't mind trolling... but I do mind when the comments are seriously aimed to hurt other people when they are already upset... hell... aimed to hurt anybody is horrible!

It is inconsiderate and generally horrible... so I am glad someone has been made an example of...

Also... Private page? This is the internet... there is no such thing!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I must admit I worry a tad when telling a joke, no matter how tasteless, can result in somebody getting jail time.

Although to be fair, it doesn't actually say 'jokes' it says derogatory comments, which could be anything, not necessarily jokes.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Quaxar said:
I think more people should do jailtime for bad humour. Maybe this would finally improve some TV shows...
I like that idea and fully support it but you just know the fans of Daniel Tosh would hate you for suggesting it (yes I went there)

As for this guy...what he said must have been completely in poor taste but he didn't actually have a hand in the child's (or was it children's?) disappearance. Either way there are just some things you don't say...how long was it before Americans were allowed to joke about the Ramsey girl by the way? Also, are we allowed to joke about Natalie Holloway yet?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard related to Facebook.

Unless he's directly communicating with the family to menace them, no one should get jail time for what they put on Facebook. Period. It doesn't matter how tasteless the jokes were. They should have arrested the people that showed up at his house.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Zombiefish said:
So a guy has been sentenced to 3 months in prison for posting tasteless jokes on his facebook.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-19869710

What do you guys think of this?

My own opinion is that its quite frieghtning and pretty disgraceful that posting a tastless joke can warrant a prison sentence, even if it is pretty disgusting.
Arent there better things to be spending funds on rather than prosecuting people for bad humor. I mean it was on his own private page, not directed at the family or people involved in the case itself....
It's not prosecuting people for bad humour, it's prosecution people for breaking the law, specifically the 2003 Communication Act.

Saying that he was prosecuted for bad humour is like saying that someone who was arrested for doing 150mph on the motorway was arrested for having a bit of fun with their own private vehicle.

It's also worth noting that he was taken into protective custody, arrested for his own safety, because what he posted was so offensive that an angry group of 50 people had descended on his house. If the police had ignored his posts and let him face the consequences of his bad humour, then a lot more funds would have been spent in combating and clearing up after the riot he caused, not to mention the pursuit and prosecution of every member of the mob he incited.

Bad humour and tasteless jokes on their own aren't against the law, but when you use a communications network to broadcast that offensive material to everyone with an internet connection, you're breaking long established laws and inciting public order offences.

Zombiefish

Sep 29, 2012
I believe the joke he was arrested for was 'whats the difference between mark ( the father) and santa? Mark comes in April (the kid)
As utterly disgusting as this is, I cant see how it can justify a court sentence.

Frankie Boyle for instance posted this:
https://twitter.com/frankieboyle/status/252713279900758016

And no action was taken. I dont think its a question of whether he should have been punished, thats a given but the nature of the punishment did not justify the crime.

Firstly its a double standard for one man to be arrested and another not for what is essentially the same offence.

Secondly, the guy didn't create the joke, he just posted it on his facebook. Why then did the person who screenshotted the joke and posted it on a April dedication site not receive the same charge?

Thirdly, there is no way to distinguish between what is an offensive joke and what isnt..many people could be offended by anything. The precedent this sets is far too dangerous, vague and borders on limiting freedom of speech.

Fourthy, no harm was intended towards the individuals involved in the case itself. He lacks the mens rea as firstly its a joke and secondly he was drunk at the time. Jokes are not meant to be taken seriously and not intended as deliberate harm. He states this himself.

I honestly think this was a judgement based upon appeasing the publics outrage, rather than justice based on the facts of the case. Especially as he was arrested, judged and sentenced withing the space of about 48 hours.

While I think its disgusting he posted those jokes, I still dont believe it was intended as harmful, and therefore its his right to freedom of speech to post them directed at his friends only.

To me it boils down to I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Dear Lord, if bad humour was punishable by law, the escapist would be depopulated in a matter of days.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
I think that police time would be better spend finding April (or her body) than arresting someone for a few jokes on facebook.

There are real criminals out their who can cause real harm. Yet the budget has been so that there are less policemen on the streets.

Facebook is an easy target, but essentially does much less harm than a lot of other crimes out there.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Calibanbutcher said:
Dear Lord, if bad humour was punishable by law, the escapist would be depopulated in a matter of days.
oh the puns!

Being an arsehole is a criminal offense now?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
A despicable judgement.

The guy is a crude idiot, his own tasteless words condemn him as such. Such words do no harm though, so they shouldn't be a matter for the law. That he is then punished more severely than most criminals who beat up people only further underlines the absurdity of this.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
All i gathered from this is that the UK is going full wacko. Putting people in jail for really bad jokes? Really?

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Freedom of speech.

As in your free to say what ever the fuck you like but be prepared for a kicking.

Whilst it's scary that the cyber police are out hunting you, how many of you honestly have never wanted some reprecussions for people being massive tools online?

Also the girl in question, there has been pretty much a man hunt in the UK for the guy who kidnapped her and subsiqently killed her. During the hunt for her im guessing this douche was posting offensive "jokes" pure vileness towards the family in question has to be said.

I love me some trolling, but there has to been lines imo.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
It was a very clean news article. I'm sure he said far worse than one message, and may have even lashed out publicly to redeem such ire from fifty odd people out to torch and flame him at his home.

His comments may also have led to a police investigation and wasted money over if he was the one who kidnapped the girl. Wasting the police's time and efforts could easily be what actually landed him in jail, and the BBC simply spun it to sound like one bad joke is what the fuss is all about.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
What a load of crap. I hate this sort of trolling and think it's the lowest of the low but you do not jail idiots just because they said some mean words.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Shouldn't be jailed... But I think he shouldn't have posted that kinda thing. I know there are jokes around like this, and hey, I even find some of them funny, even though I automatically feel REALLY guilty for laughing at some of them, but Jailtime? Really? Bit much. A slap in the face, and being told to show some respect might be more in order....