Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
let us all applaude the chinese products
this reminds me of Condemned 2...doooooooools

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Sadly since I read too many political thriller novels and read too much spy stuff I thought Mossad had offed him for some reason.

Or the Chinese government wanting to make it look like Mossad offed him.

for some reason.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Owww.

That has got to suck. R.I.P dude.

However, if I can be a complete jackass for two seconds, if it turns out to be a Sony product I will laugh my ass off.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
Well thanks alot, like there isnt enough things to worry about already...now its exploding mobile phones tearing up your body as well...

Yet another proof that technology is slowly taking over the world, its already started to wipe out mankind with a slow and steady pace, lets just hope the robot revolution is stopped before it spreads from crappy chinese cellphones to other technology. *jk*

Nah, but seriously, this is actually fairly scary, just think of all the tourists buying cheap electric stuff from China when they are there on a visit, if those batteries are used for other stuff there could be more deaths than this in the future.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

The victim had recently swapped his mobile battery for a new one. For some unknown reason, perhaps due to the third party products, perhaps due to the proximity of the computers, perhaps due to sheer bad luck, the mobile detonated in his chest pocket.

due to the proximity of the computers? WTF kind of explanation is that....? peh, i expect more from a publication as tech savvy as the Escapist... it's been verified that cheap, third party cell phone batteries can and will explode on occasion....

as for the rest of the story, i - like many others here - found it more humorous than tragic....

Feb 13, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
peh, i expect more from a publication as tech savvy as the Escapist... it's been verified that cheap, third party cell phone batteries can and will explode on occasion....
But no-one knows for sure, and there's going to be someone who can probably provide a good reason for electrostatic discharge built up from unclean monitors or something.

Just best to avoid them altogether. Nasty beepy things ;)

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
Sounds horrible to me, an exploding cellphone in your shirt pocket.
On a rather more serious note, it isn't entirely impossible that it wasn't a 3rd party battery, remember the trouble sony had with overheating notebook batteries about a year ago?

A lawsuit or a new phone, I guess they guy doesn't benefit from either one alas.

Sara Brown

Nov 26, 2008
It looks like cell phones giving you brain cancer wasn't instant gratification enough. They had to step it up.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
This is why I don't have a cell phone! Actually, because i'm a cheap bastard - but this reason will also do.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
peh, i expect more from a publication as tech savvy as the Escapist... it's been verified that cheap, third party cell phone batteries can and will explode on occasion....
But no-one knows for sure, and there's going to be someone who can probably provide a good reason for electrostatic discharge built up from unclean monitors or something.

Just best to avoid them altogether. Nasty beepy things ;)
i don't think that electro-static discharge is a very likely culprit, either... it would need a fuel source of some sort to actually trigger an explosion...

sorry for being a bit argumentative; the rest of your write-up is good... i just figured that the cheap battery exploding thing was well documented and more or less public knowledge...

Feb 13, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
sorry for being a bit argumentative; the rest of your write-up is good... i just figured that the cheap battery exploding thing was well documented and more or less public knowledge...
NP, was a fair point. Unfortunately, I can't really say it's a certainty if the Chinese police don't even know.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
This is why I always wear body armor. Sometimes it gets ridiculous as the photo within the spoiler tag of me entering a classroom will attest.

Yes, the breeze was overly dramatic that day.

But it is well worth it so that I am totally protected from exploding cell phones.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
I hate to be *that* guy but... a man lost his life through no fault of his own. Talking about him "gurgling" to his death seems below the usual tone I expect from this publication. What's next? "Man is hit by car and dies staring at his own entrails"?

Leave it to the posters to provide the graphic detail, if you absolutely must.

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Erana said:
Well, great....
With my luck with electronics, my cell phone will hunt me and my entire family down and brutally murder us...

Seriously. My cell phone died inexplicably in less than a month of owning it.
*YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO COMPLY*-robocop reference.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Shards of plastic tore through the arteries in his neck and he gurgled to his rapid demise from massive blood loss. Nice.
Escapist News. Staying classy since 1804.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Sadly since I read too many political thriller novels and read too much spy stuff I thought Mossad had offed him for some reason.

Or the Chinese government wanting to make it look like Mossad offed him.

for some reason.
Or if you've seen too much Battlestar you think it's some kind of early Cylon method to kill people.

But honestly, that rather creepy that his cellphone killed him.