Man Killed by Exploding Cell Phone

Nanoko

Feb 3, 2009
Wow. That must really suck for him and his family, but...

I must say that the very idea of an exploding cell phone killing somebody is one of the most awesome things I've heard in a while.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
Suddenly the fact my cellphone is so close to my groin in my pocket terrifies me.
hah i'm not the only one suddenly questioning what i value more... my crotch or my life....

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Escapist News. Staying classy since 1804.
domicius said:
I hate to be *that* guy but... a man lost his life through no fault of his own. Talking about him "gurgling" to his death seems below the usual tone I expect from this publication. What's next? "Man is hit by car and dies staring at his own entrails"?

Leave it to the posters to provide the graphic detail, if you absolutely must.
I am forced to agree. The journalistic choice makes me raise an eyebrow when the author feels the need add description to a mans dying moments. I don't mind, but it sounds like Ben Counter just picked up a camera and started telling it how it is. There's nothing inheretly wrong or off-putting with it... it's just out of place.

Ben Counter writes alot of visceral 40K novels, for anyone not in the know. He is a big fan of gurgling deaths and fountains of gore. Fun stuff to read, actually.

Feb 13, 2008
Ultrajoe said:
I am forced to agree. The journalistic choice makes me raise an eyebrow when the author feels the need add description to a mans dying moments. I don't mind, but it sounds like Ben Counter just picked up a camera and started telling it how it is. There's nothing inheretly wrong or off-putting with it... it's just out of place.
I'd say a little more Jeff Lyndsey, as that's what I was reading at the time. While the choice of words may have been a little grotesque for some, the idea of him dying doesn't quite get across the gruesome way in which he did die. Hence a few extra words to home in on the horrific detail. It's a truly awful way to die, and I felt that it needed to be stated. YMMV.

If I'd said, "Man dies from a phone explosion", some might have just shrugged it off. Once you can visualize it, there's much less "humor".

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Very "final destination" esque, I mean dang, the odds of a phone exploding are astronomical.

Think I'll nudge my phone a few feet away from the computer now.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
...I blame the Chinese.

I hope people will start realizing that buying faulty electronics IS dangerous.

It still blows someone died. How the hell do you explain that to his wife?

"His phone...umm...exploded."

DeanDMX

Feb 4, 2009
After all is said and done, a man died. Would the reaction be different if he was british or american or from wherever you're from? It's easy to make light of a story like this and feel detached because it happened far away from you and doesn't affect you at all. Reading the comments it's not surprising that the world is such a shitty place with such insensitive people inhabiting it.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I bet that cellphone visited a terrorist training camp in Pakistan and joined Al-Qaeda.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I keep telling people I don't like mobile phones for a reason! This is just another one to add to the list.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Ultrajoe said:
PurpleRain said:
Escapist News. Staying classy since 1804.
domicius said:
I hate to be *that* guy but... a man lost his life through no fault of his own. Talking about him "gurgling" to his death seems below the usual tone I expect from this publication. What's next? "Man is hit by car and dies staring at his own entrails"?

Leave it to the posters to provide the graphic detail, if you absolutely must.

Ben Counter writes alot of visceral 40K novels, for anyone not in the know. He is a big fan of gurgling deaths and fountains of gore. Fun stuff to read, actually.
Aww, I was trying to put it in a positive light. I thought it was kinda humourus. Not the dying part, just that it's so outside of journalism to say that. It's what I like about the Escapist. This very easy tone on everything.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
raxiv said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Shards of plastic tore through the arteries in his neck and he gurgled to his rapid demise from massive blood loss. Nice.
Not nice. Not nice at all.
Well hey, at least he died quickly. Also, I love Root's word choice there.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Erana said:
Well, great....
With my luck with electronics, my cell phone will hunt me and my entire family down and brutally murder us...

Seriously. My cell phone died inexplicably in less than a month of owning it.
I swear I remember myth busters doing on episode on this, though I am not sure which side they proved. Run Erana, just run, technology is hunting you! DROP YOUR WEAPON YOU HAVE 15 SECONDS TO COMPLY! 5 4 3 2 1 (phaser noise) (starcraft reference)
Man that just sucks, what a horrible way to go. Killed by a phone.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly, this sounds more to me like this guy was someone the chinese government didn't like and his 'cellphone' mysteriously 'exploaded'. When someone shot him.

kvenox

Oct 17, 2008
wow...when i hear things like this i really dont regret that i "accidentally" broke my cellphone.