Man Kills Self While Taking a Selfie With a Gun

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Well if he was going to wave a gun around like a fool at least he lost his own life rather than hitting and killing someone else, its tragic that his idiocy cost him his life but at least no-one else paid the price.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Alright, maybe I'm wrong since no one has brought it up yet or maybe I'm just kind of weird for knowing this but...

In Mexico (ESPECIALLY for young men), taking selfies with weapons is big with the Mexican Cartels. Now maybe this kid is just not very bright and was playing around with a gun but he looks too old to be THAT dumb about it. My thinking is best case scenario; he was trying to look cool by mimicking the Cartels in the same way you see young kids flashing gang signs or worst (or best pending your point of view) is that he IS a Cartel member and just blew his brains out trying to look cool.

Source [http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/twitter-guns-money-mexicos-cartels-live-large-social-media-n130886] for the "Gun Selfie" stuff so people don't think I'm making it up :)

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Zhukov said:
First rule of gun safety: Do not point the weapon at anything that you do not wish to put a hole in.

Second rule of gun safety: Be aware of the weapon's state of readiness at all times. (i.e. Loaded/unloaded, cocked/uncocked, safety on/off.)

Do they not teach people this shit anymore? Or are some people just too dumb to listen to what is essentially just common sense?
'I has me a right ta owns a gun I do! Ahm owning me a gun! Whuts these 'responsabilities?' 'Fiream safety'? F*** that noise, I HAS MY RIGHTS! MY RIGHTS SAYS AH GETS TA OWN A GUN!'

Unfortunately, everybody is ready to scream about their rights and forget their responsibilities.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Stupidity does not justify a death sentence. I know people like to feel good about themselves and all high and mighty compared to lesser people, but this thread just seems really fucking cold to me.
I completely agree.
People make mistakes and perform stupid acts all the time.

Did he do something extremely dangerous and misguided that ultimately resulted in his death? Yes.
Does that one mistake make his life forfeit to others, to the point where they can make comments devaluing that person's life? Ugh, no.

Have some freakin' compassion, at the very least, for his family and friends.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
or worst (or best pending your point of view) is that he IS a Cartel member and just blew his brains out trying to look cool.
If he was a Cartel member than he was lucky. Someone that stupid wouldn't last long anyway. Better to die from a single gunshot to the head than to be cut into small pieces while you're still alive.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Well...no. This was one moron being a moron.

Duckface is stupid and superfluous selfies are the bane of the internet, but those two things aren't inherently idiotic, they're just turning out that way due to the caliber of people overdoing them.

This, however, was a guy trying to look cool and fucking with a loaded gun.

Not smart any way you shake it.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Welp, that's outrageously stupid.

Still, poor guy. Now someone doesn't have a son anymore.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
People have always done dumb shit to get noticed... and have always gotten killed for trying.

*shrug*

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This is most probably happening more often than the article knows. Could be a lot like the RobinWilliams film "Worlds best dad" where the parent/s are so ashamed of the stupidity of their child's accidental death, that they claim suicide instead,after a change of positions etc.

This is the poetry of evolution right here. Why do people always have to try and prove that they care more than others? No one's judging here. Well...aside the guy who died trying to look all badman-gayngster, yo bitches!

CAPTCHA: Stone hearted. Touché c-dude.. touché.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Zhukov said:
First rule of gun safety: Do not point the weapon at anything that you do not wish to put a hole in.

Second rule of gun safety: Be aware of the weapon's state of readiness at all times. (i.e. Loaded/unloaded, cocked/uncocked, safety on/off.)

Do they not teach people this shit anymore? Or are some people just too dumb to listen to what is essentially just common sense?
Actually, for me, Gun Safety Rule #1 is: Always treat the gun like it is loaded and can fire at any moment, even if you know it is unloaded and have the safety on.

This basically means I always keep the barrel aimed at the ground, my finger off the trigger, and the safety on. This only changes when I intend to shoot at something. It pays to have a healthy respect for guns.

Obviously this person had no such respect. Why would you point a loaded weapon at your own head? There are so many things he could have done to prevent this that to list them would take all day. I have no sympathy for this.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Are we using "frustrate and sadden" as long-short-hand for LOL today?

Give the late fool his Darwin Award and pay it no more mind.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I wish fewer people were making fun of this guy. Yes, his death is his own fault, and yes, his death was preventable, but a human being is dead. His parents have just outlived their son; his siblings are planning their brother's funeral; his significant other is facing down the idea of a life without the man she loved and not having the children she might have been dreaming about. It's not really very funny.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Stupidity does not justify a death sentence. I know people like to feel good about themselves and all high and mighty compared to lesser people, but this thread just seems really fucking cold to me.
There's a reason we have Darwin Awards, and that's the point and laugh at the complete fucking morons that killed themselves in the dumbest ways imaginable. One of the requirements for winning one is removing yourself from the gene pool, just to ensure you can't pass your painfully small brain onto anyone else!

JimB said:
I wish fewer people were making fun of this guy. Yes, his death is his own fault, and yes, his death was preventable, but a human being is dead. His parents have just outlived their son; his siblings are planning their brother's funeral; his significant other is facing down the idea of a life without the man she loved and not having the children she might have been dreaming about. It's not really very funny.
See above post. If you're insistent on that mindset, then worry more about the people in Gaza getting missiles rained on them. According to the Palestinian UN ambassador, over 10,000 people have been injured/killed and hundreds of those among the dead are hundreds of children. If anything, mourn the children that didn't deserve this in any way instead of the imbecile that shot himself trying to look cool.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
mitchell271 said:
There's a reason we have Darwin Awards, and that's the point and laugh at the complete fucking morons that killed themselves in the dumbest ways imaginable. One of the requirements for winning one is removing yourself from the gene pool, just to ensure you can't pass your painfully small brain onto anyone else!
Yeah, and my opinion on the "Darwin awards" is one of disgust, so that petty, hateful thing does not change my stance in the slightest.

Groxnax

Apr 16, 2009
*Shakes head*

I'm sorry to say this but that was really dumb of him to do that.

Oy.

But yes, someone should recommend him for the Darwin Awards.

Feb 4, 2014
You would think that when somebody handles a gun, they should first check some minor details like, ammo, if its loaded or not, safety etc... I mean come on I never EVER have hold a gun in my hands (nor really seen one (unholstered) IRL) but even I know that guns are not toys.

Also it may seem extremely crude and innapropriate of me but I'm glad that he didn't shout "PERSONA" otherwise this unfortunate event would deteriorate into "VIDEOGAMES ARE EVIL, THEY KILL OUR CHILDREN D:".
Let's hope he doesn't have SMT: Persona 3 in house, or recently played GTA or COD or BF...
But I'm sure the people (media) won't exagerate this matter IF he played (semi) violent videogames..

Right guys?

Here's hoping that he doesn't own any videogames what's so ever

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
BathorysGraveland2 said:
mitchell271 said:
Yeah, and my opinion on the "Darwin awards" is one of disgust, so that petty, hateful thing does not change my stance in the slightest.
Pretty much. I get it, having a laugh at someone doing something dumb and getting their comeuppance is fun sometimes. But having a whole thing just to point at laugh at other people's deaths, no matter how stupid, just never set quite right with me. Just kind of reeks of that sort of cold, mocking, smug internet-humor that I never understood.

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
Rule #1 in handling a gun: Never point a gun at yourself or others while handling it even if you think it is not loaded. Call me cruel but this is a situation that I call, "asking for it." My sympathy for his friends, family and other associates.