Man Let Son Suffocate Because He Was Playing WoW

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Man Let Son Suffocate Because He Was Playing WoW

A bad situation is even worse than it sounds: A man on trial for the death of his infant son couldn't tear himself away from WoW to keep the boy from suffocating.

A sailor from King's Bay is currently on trial for his son's death because he neglected to notice that the infant was suffocating under a pillow. However, the reason for the father's neglect is being laid at the feet of popular MMO World of Warcraft: the man claims that he was so engrossed with the game that he couldn't be bothered to remove the pillow.

On January 16, 2009, 29-year-old Andrew Warner's son, Brendin, died at his Kingsland home. Warner stated that, while his wife was shopping with her mother, he babysat his son, checked on him repeatedly, gave him a pacifier, and played with him for a while before he placed the child on the bed in his and his wife's bedroom. Apparently he put pillows around the infant so he couldn't crawl off, which is when things turned tragic:

He had also told police of watching music videos much of the afternoon and logging on to a video game sometime after 3:30 p.m., Udy said. Andrew Warner had also said that when he got up from a computer game to go the bathroom, he noticed Brendin had "scooted'' his head partly under a pillow, which he removed to find the boy breathing fine, Udy said. His wife arrived home later in the afternoon and found their child had died just as they were leaving to go his mother-in-law's house for dinner, Warner told police.

However, six months after the boy died, an autopsy report revealed that the child had suffocated and Warner changed his story. He admitted that he had seen a pillow sitting on top of his son's head and didn't take the time to remove it. He also admitted that he'd heard the boy crying, but didn't turn away from World of Warcraft until he had to go to the bathroom. On top of that, it turned out that records showed the man had been playing the game for much longer than he had told investigators.

According to Assistant District Attorney Katie Udy, "He wanted to get back to his game because ... there's no way to pause it. Andrew Warner left that pillow over Brendin's head."

The trial may wrap up today, but there haven't been any updates. Aside from the manslaughter charge, <a href=http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2010-02-27/story/couple_indicted_in_13_month_olds_death>is also facing charges of second degree cruelty to children, reckless conduct and making false statements to investigators. If Warner is found guilty, he could face ten years for involuntary manslaughter.

It's awful when a little kid meets with tragedy, but this whole situation is particularly heartbreaking. While I'm not excusing what happened in any way, I can't help but feel sorry for the entire family, Andrew Warner included.

Source: <a href=http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-03-31/story/prosecutor-kings-bay-sailor-played-world-warcraft-while-infant>Florida Times Union

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
WHAT!? He actually did that? Not only is he a heartless thoughtless dick; we really do not need this sort of publicity. Ugh. Groups like FOX are going to be ALL over this. >_<

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
How is this WoWs fault? This man is just a bad parent. He could just as easly been watching football or something and this could have turned out the same. Blaming WoW is just an excuse.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
so basically he saw a pillow on his sons head and left it there cause he was playing a game?

Hang him if found guilty after deleting his wow toons in front of him.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
I don't know what to think. My initial thought is that he is an awful parrent an should rot, but i had no idea that, that could happen. I sleep with pillows over my head all the time it would have never occured to me to see the pillow over the child and be like, "Oh FUCK!" Shows how prepared I am to be a parent.
Parent's do that self-sooth thing all the time and while i can't tell you if it works if he was just looking for a place to pause I can understand.
When did the son start crying vs.en did the father go to check on him is what i would want to know.

I doubt I will ever have children I'm way to selfish with my time. If I do, then they're fucking top priority though, can KIND OF be easy to forget that when you set the kid down to nap. Again I want a spacific time table.

Galliam

Dec 26, 2008
Real life children don't start over in the graveyard. If this ever happened to me, I would quit the game forever. Hell, I'd quit gaming if I had such an addictive personality that I refused to get up with a child crying and suffocating in the background.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
To physically see his son with his head under the pillow and not do anything is more than manslaughter. He's legally responsible for that child. And no, it isn't WoW's fault that he's a complete failure as a father and human being.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Frankly, I'm tired of hearing news like this...
Makes me want to take a hammer to the heads of such idiot-parents and an EMP to WoW and FB for providing such distractions.
Seriously, agreeing with Super-Skrull, there's too much trash in the universe...

Sorry for such a post...

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
People have always been terrible parents. Douche bags need to stop blaming video games. Although WoW isn't a game as much as it is a disease that you pay for.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
What does WoW have to do with this, I babysat my brother as a tiny infant all the time. This guy is just a neglectful dick. And an idiot it seems.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
And thus Wow is evil, nothing new. Tragic what happened, and I hope the dumbass gets what is coming to him.

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
OH WELL WHAT A SURPRISE, THIS IS ALL VIDEOGAMES'S FAULT! YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED THINK OF THE CHILDREN, OH WHY WON'T SOMEBODY THINK. OF THE CHILDREN.

Anything to add, comrades?

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
I guarantee this won't be spun by the news as a result of terrible parenting, but as another excuse to call games evil.

But the main thing everybody should take away from this is that a child died due to his father being an utter tool and that is fucking disgusting. I mean props to him for confessing his stupidity (something far too uncommon) but he better get jailtime, at least, for this.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
jakefongloo said:
I don't know what to think. My initial thought is that he is an awful parrent an should rot, but i had no idea that, that could happen. I sleep with pillows over my head all the time it would have never occured to me to see the pillow over the child and be like, "Oh FUCK!" Shows how prepared I am to be a parent.
Parent's do that self-sooth thing all the time and while i can't tell you if it works if he was just looking for a place to pause I can understand.
When did the son start crying vs.en did the father go to check on him is what i would want to know.

I doubt I will ever have children I'm way to selfish with my time. If I do, then they're fucking top priority though, can KIND OF be easy to forget that when you set the kid down to nap. Again I want a spacific time table.
Apparently the child was crying, though, which really makes this inexcusable.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Upon conviction set him on fire. Don't blame the game or anything else he may or may not have been doing, all blames lies with this worthless piece of trash.

Seriously, how long does it take to get up and move a fucking pillow off your kid? What maybe 30 seconds at the most? How much can really happen in 30 seconds, and does it really matter what happens in a game if your kid is suffocating?