Man Of Steel Saddens General Zod

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Man Of Steel Saddens General Zod

Terrence Stamp, the actor who portrayed General Zod in 1980's Superman II has opinions about the newly-released Man Of Steel and they're not as rosy as you'd expect.

Outside of Christopher Reeve, Terrence Stamp may be the most recognizable actor to ever appear in a film adaptation of DC Comics' Superman mythos. His work as General Zod in Richard Donner's second Superman movie was simultaneously regal and menacing, and his iconic line - "Kneel before Zod!" - has become indelibly linked to the character in pop culture. Even the upcoming Injustice version of Zod drops that command during combat (and it's awesome).

With Stamp having such an extensive history with the Zod character and the role being reprised by Michael Shannon in the new film Man of Steel, one would expect Stamp to have opinions. Polite opinions. Words of encouragement. But instead Stamp finds the whole production a bit depressing.

"When I heard they were remaking it, or they were doing a version of it, I was kind of sad in a way because it was the benchmark for all of these comic book movies," Stamp recently told Enertainment Weekly. "There's never been anything quite as good as those Dick Donner movies. And since then, big movies have become computer generated. They've become unemotional, and so I was sad."

"I thought it would be diluted, in other words. And that it would be a personal dilution because it was such an incredible moment for me to come back and play my first comic book villain. I was sad, but the truth is, I'm sure it's vastly different," Stamps states.

"But, hey, you know, they wanted to pull on the Kryptonite boots? Good luck to them. They're big!" he adds.

After hearing his feelings on Man of Steel, Entertainment Weekly asked Stamp to discuss the controversy surrounding Marlon Brando's role in Superman II - or more specifically, why the legendary thespian was cut from the movie. Stamp obliged with candor.

"Incredibly, [the producers] replaced all of Brando's stuff because he was trying to get a percentage that they had promised him," Stamp recalls. "And to weaken his case, they replaced Marlon with this English actress [Susannah York], Superman's mom. It didn't seem possible. So it was very unhappy. Fortunately, we didn't have to do much. We had to do the last sort of eighth of the movie, frankly."

Marlon Brando was a pain to work with? My stars! That's just ... actually that's exactly what we expected. Brando may be one of the finest actors in history, but the man had a lot of diva in him, especially once he started commanding huge sums of cash to simply show up on film sets and utter a few words. Stamp on the other hand wins full propers for his comments about Man of Steel. If only more actors were honest about their true opinions, huh?

Source: Entertainment Weekly [http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/06/19/eneral-zod-terence-stamp-man-of-steel-superman-2/]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'm not sure, is he unhappy with the overall movie? Shannon's portrayal of Zod? The slight altering in the lore? Has he even seen it?

I'm intrigued that he's voiced his opinions on the matter, but to be honest, I'm not sure which aspect of the film he's unhappy about.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Mr Tunstall!

It sure looks/sounds like something that would sadden me, seems to be a big, loud and obnoxious grimdark take on a silly character. Can´t imagine that i would be seeing this movie anytime soon.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
wooty said:
I'm not sure, is he unhappy with the overall movie? Shannon's portrayal of Zod? The slight altering in the lore? Has he even seen it?

I'm intrigued that he's voiced his opinions on the matter, but to be honest, I'm not sure which aspect of the film he's unhappy about.
I think he's more expressing disappointment with the present state of Comic Book movies, and some disappointment that they would try and tackle Zod again. I don't think I'd blame him too much since he's undoubtedly got some attachment to the role. Doesn't sound like he's seen it at the time he made the comments though. If nothing else, I'd think he'd be pretty impressed with Michael Shannon's performance to be honest. That man was excellent in Man of Steel.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He played a good Zod. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! An then Superman breaks his hand. lol.If i remember they had a really good fight as well, if i remember correctly didnt superman get thrown into a bus? Wow, havnt seen the original Superman in years.

They said Lex might be in the next one, I hope not, dont like Lex. Granted i dont read the comics, so it could just be that Lex has been badly done in the movies. But i would like them to set up a few of the more galactic style enemies.....like Darkseid.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
He played a good Zod. KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! An then Superman breaks his hand. lol.If i remember they had a really good fight as well, if i remember correctly didnt superman get thrown into a bus? Wow, havnt seen the original Superman in years.

They said Lex might be in the next one, I hope not, dont like Lex. Granted i dont read the comics, so it could just be that Lex has been badly done in the movies. But i would like them to set up a few of the more galactic style enemies.....like Darkseid.
Rumor is the next villain is Brainiac, with Luthor only performing a minor role as a forced assistant in brainiac plans.
If you going to bring in Luthor, also bring in Metalo, The Cyborg-Android whose powered by a chuck of a kryptonite meteorite.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
wooty said:
Not enough mentions of the planet Houston.

Besides, we already know how Zod feels [http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/bum-reviews/39593-zod-reviews-man-of-steel].

SonOfVoorhees said:

Lex has had quite a few solid performances over the years, in various media. I think they could probably do a good one in a more serious Superman flick, as this one seems to be.

Or more emo, as some are complaining. Whichever.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
I think he is more dismayed simply with how diluted and cut n paste modern cgi movies are becoming. And I kind of agree with him. The Donner Superman films worked, in part because there was an enormous price tag involved in everything seen on screen. So the director was forced to pare down as much as he could, and do more with the actors and performers and story to make up for limits in the effects. You couldn't simply cut and paste in 20 minutes of exploding city and blurry shaky fight scenes. You actually needed dialogue to advance the story. I kinda miss those movies.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
This line:
"Marlon Brando was a pain to work with? My stars! That's just ... actually that's exactly what we expected."

Has nothing to do with what you quoted:
"Incredibly, [the producers] replaced all of Brando's stuff because he was trying to get a percentage that they had promised him," Stamp recalls."

Stamp said that Marlon was just trying to get paid what he was PROMISED! I guess to expect someone to hold up a contract is pretty "diva" though, huh?

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Amir Kondori said:
This line:
"Marlon Brando was a pain to work with? My stars! That's just ... actually that's exactly what we expected."

Has nothing to do with what you quoted:
"Incredibly, [the producers] replaced all of Brando's stuff because he was trying to get a percentage that they had promised him," Stamp recalls."

Stamp said that Marlon was just trying to get paid what he was PROMISED! I guess to expect someone to hold up a contract is pretty "diva" though, huh?
The percentage he was "promised" was, adjusted for inflation, quite likely the very largest amount of money any human being has made per hour of work. He also did try and pull a whole lot of random bullshit that everybody had to put up with on top of his ridiculous salary. Marlon Brando was many things. Among them was a douchebag.

Chris Spaeth

Jun 21, 2013
This version of the article is quite a bit different than the one on Entertainment Weekly's site. I would suggest going there to read it since Terence Stamp's comments make more sense in context. There is also an entirely arbitrary attack on Marlon Brando in The Escapist version that makes no sense. As Richard Donner pointed out in the commentary track for Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, Marlon Brando's scenes were already shot and the producers were too cheap to honor his contract. This really undermines the father and son theme that runs all the way through to Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, a film which works a lot better once you've watched the first 2 films as Richard Donner intended them.

Chris Spaeth

Jun 21, 2013
This version of the article is quite a bit different than the one on Entertainment Weekly's site. I would suggest going there to read it since Terence Stamp's comments make more sense in context. There is also an entirely arbitrary attack on Marlon Brando in The Escapist version that makes no sense. As Richard Donner pointed out in the commentary track for Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, Marlon Brando's scenes were already shot and the producers were too cheap to honor his contract. This really undermines the father and son theme that runs all the way through to Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, a film which works a lot better once you've watched the first 2 films as Richard Donner intended them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
wooty said:
It looks to me more that he's lamenting the (over-)reliance on CGI for its own sake, and I do believe he has a point- when you're just doing huge CGI scenes and effects because you can, instead of for moving the story or enhancing its characters, it leaves things feeling hollow and artificial.

There's plenty of proof that you can have a fully-CGI film with a lot of heart and seemingly real characters- for example, WALL-E, Up, Wreck-It Ralph. It just takes dedication and an acceptance of the medium's limits.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I think he is talking more about the heart of the original Superman movies, goofy, upbeat but dark in all the right places.
I don't know if he has seen the new film but he hits the nail on the head. Personally I liked Shannon's take on Zod. Purely because he was the most fleshed out character with proper goals and motivations. As much as I love CGI as an artform, Michael Shannon's armour did not need to be cg and it bugged me a lot. The truth is he is dead right on the industries reliance on cg without compelling story telling. There are great exceptions, But they are exceptions.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
I really wish I saw Superman II before The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert because whenever Terrance Stamp was on screen I kept on picturing him as Bernadette and it just killed his attempts to be menacing as General Zod.