Man Who Bought $735 Xbox One Photo Gets Free Xbox One

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
IAmTheToaster said:
Colour Scientist said:
AndrewC said:
Inbreds like this should be neutered, not rewarded.

eBay say that if you've read a description and it states what it is and you buy it: END OF. The seller was completely honest, and this dipshit clearly knew what he was buying, obviously for his 4 year old - yeah ok buddy - but yet he gets his money back and a free console.

Godfuckingdammitworldstopcateringtostupidpeople ;_;
This is definitely a proportionate reaction to the situation.
Indeed. He certainly deserved a refund, not a free console.

He certainly doesn't deserve neutering.

EDIT: On a side note, what's the use in neutering someone who has already had a child..?
Maybe he didn't deserve one but he got one and so what?

He didn't take it from anyone else or act like he was entitled to it, he was just given one by a company who wanted to make a goodwill gesture for the publicity.

IAmTheToaster

Bread Warming Expert
Nov 8, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
Maybe he didn't deserve one but he got one and so what?

He didn't take it from anyone else or act like he was entitled to it, he was just given one by a company who wanted to make a goodwill gesture for the publicity.
True, but as I've already said:

IAmTheToaster said:
That said, for me the issue is one that is seemingly being played down, as I said in my original comment: he's a 19 year old lad, the console is for him but he's used his child as a sob story. At point of release, I'd only say LEGO Marvel Super Heroes is suitable for a four year old child. I'd quite like it to come out what games he's purchased along with the console.
It feels like said goodwill gesture was born out of his claim that the console was for his kid, which I simply refuse to believe.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
A guy screwed up and everyone is talking about what a moron he is? Can we please all take a chill pill? Don't act like you never made a stupid mistake.

IAmTheToaster

Bread Warming Expert
Nov 8, 2013
Smilomaniac said:
The moral is that a 4 year old now gets to play on an xbox because someone out there was nice enough to make up for the huge dissapointment they were subjected to.

I can't help but feel that people judge the guy harshly because he's a(very) young dad. A bunch of you probably thought it was well deserved that he got screwed over in the first place.
How small a person do you have to be, to be offended by this?
Of course he didn't deserve to get screwed over - no one does in these circumstances. But what games is that four year old going to play? Ryse? CoD:Ghosts? Assassins' Creed: 4? I don't think many would support a four year old playing those titles.

It may be unfair of me to judge based on his being a father at 15 and it's certainly unfair to be calling him "inbred" and asking for him to be neutered. But we're not going to get told what games he's bought along with the console and I feel safe in assuming that the four year old will either be enjoying games that are definitely not suitable for a kid that young (in my opinion), or not enjoying any games at all.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
his stupid, smug face in that photo is the stupid, smug cherry on this entire heaping ice cream sundae of idiocy

if his "son" is even real, I hope he grows up to resent his father

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
what a fucking joke, 4 year old is not going to know wtf to do with his new xbone. I just......you fuck up like a true n00b and you get somthing for free if you cry about it enough ?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
008Zulu said:
He is being rewarded for being a complete moron. I'm sorry, but no. This is not how society should work.
Trust me, people get away with much worse in the UK.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
IAmTheToaster said:
Colour Scientist said:
AndrewC said:
Inbreds like this should be neutered, not rewarded.

eBay say that if you've read a description and it states what it is and you buy it: END OF. The seller was completely honest, and this dipshit clearly knew what he was buying, obviously for his 4 year old - yeah ok buddy - but yet he gets his money back and a free console.

Godfuckingdammitworldstopcateringtostupidpeople ;_;
This is definitely a proportionate reaction to the situation.
Indeed. He certainly deserved a refund, not a free console.

He certainly doesn't deserve neutering.

EDIT: On a side note, what's the use in neutering someone who has already had a child..?
I just wanted to blow up over the situation, gotta let off some steam once in a while. Maybe if we neuter him he won't go buy a photograph of a ps4 for his 3 year old daughter that's hidden in the cupboard

Colour Scientist said:
Dude made a mistake, wanted his money back after falling for an intentionally misleading ad and ended up getting a free Xbox, why are people so bitter over it? It's not like he stole the bloody thing.
The ad wasn't misleading at all, the 'wrong category' thing is total nonsense: the seller clearly and plainly listed what the item was so the guy is an idiot.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
One of the first life lessons i learnt came via Eve Online when i wasn't paying attention and used the 350mil i got from selling a Plex to buy a Domi when i thought i was buying a Sin (The Tech 2 Variant), through that game i learnt to check all transactions i make and it has saved me a few times (buying fake anime stuff being advertised and sold as real etc)

This guy messed up, cried about it on the internet and then not only got his money back (which i don't agree in, from what i gather he bid on it knowing it was a picture of an xbone but because it was in the video game section thought it was ok) but got a free Xbone "for his son" (Yeah his son, with its mass of child friendly day one releases (Skylanders and Angry Birds...))

All this teaches him (and others), is mess up and whine about it and someone will bail you out

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
So next time I'm gonna buy a picture KNOWING it says PICTURE, acting like a completely stupid person, and I'm gonna get free stuff? Really?
Little Duck said:
See a lot of people are ragging on this guy for falling for this con, but if it happened to anyone else here and it probably could, we wouldn't be laughing. Let us not forget the ipod photo con or the other people who bidded on the item in question.
But there was no con, con would've been someone selling the picture saying "this is a console I'm selling" but it said "this is a picture". Someone being stupid doesn't make it a con by any means.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Teoes said:
Hmm, so what we do to scam our way to success is as follows: create fake eBay account -> set up listing for photo of console -> switch accounts, bid and win -> pay, get refund, lose fake account -> cry to media -> free console -> PROFIT!

Am I doing it right? No, because that's not how things should be functioning.

The lesson I learn from this is indeed that stupidity gets rewarded. Nice guys finish last and all the rest of it. My energy company switch-over is taking three times longer than I was told it should and I'm getting no compensation for the trouble - I've just got to suck up the higher bills in the process. Clearly I need to get some (inter)national attention on the matter. Being litigious is the way forward.
You'll have to say you were switching energy companies for your four year old son as a christmas present too! Instant profit.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Yeah, some company did something nice for someone and got some sweet free press out of it (Ok well the cost of an XBone) And people still debating his stupidity or defending the company saying he doesn't deserve it.

The truth is the press jumped on this not so special news story, which in turn was jumped on by gaming websites enjoying a bit of schadenfreude at a young guy who is obviously very thick cos he had a kid young (It really pisses me off at how much this came up in the discussion). All because it is videogame news it creates discussion, clicks and views. The company saw how many views this story got decided to cash in very, very cheaply and come across as good guys you want to buy your games off of. On every level this is a pretty cynical story.

Dec 16, 2009
so, erm. this Nigerian prince offered to give me millions of £££ if i just give him my bank details and look after the money for him.
seems legit, and he is a prince after all. if it all goes wrong, i guess the bank could give me my money back, and some generous sort will donate me all the money i was promised.
yay

IAmTheToaster

Bread Warming Expert
Nov 8, 2013
Smilomaniac said:
Even if he plays adult games with the kid, so what? As long as he isn't forcing them on the kid, there's not really an issue. Games with a higher age rating don't magically turn your kid into a psychopath or drug addict. If they spend time together playing, then as far as I'm concerned, it's fine.
And nor did I ever say they did - I said I personally have issues with a four year old child playing games in which one kills hundreds of people. I don't think it would have a long-term effect, I just don't like the idea that four is considered an acceptable age to witness violence.

Smilomaniac said:
It's none of our business what they do with the console, or if he did make up a sob story, but the majority seems to judge him anyway, despite knowing nothing about the man.
In what way is any of the story our business at all? If you take issue with people judging this story, why don't you take issue with the fact that there is any story to be told here?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Disgraceful. People should be punished for their idiocy, not rewarded.

He didn't even deserve a refund from Ebay, considering that he knew the item he was buying was a photo and he bought it anyway thinking it was just a mix up.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ITT: Someone calls for him to be neutered
>ITT: More people are outraged that someone got a free thing than when people steal a bunch of said things

There's absolutely no way that anyone in this thread is bitter and petty and saying dumb things because of it. None whatsoever.

And before some sensitive soul calls out the greentext: I'm just trying to match the tone of the thread.