Man Who Bought $735 Xbox One Photo Gets Free Xbox One

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Sheesh some people in this thread need to take a damn chill pill. The dude isn't Hitler.

No he doesn't deserve a free xbone but it's not like he asked for it, they offered and if it would save you a couple hundred dollars I think anyone would accept. Get off your high horses people, I'm sure you've all made idiotic mistakes. This one xbone giving away for free isn't the end of the world.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
By this logic I McDonalds now morally owes me the compensation of selling me burgers that look as good as they do in their commercials.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
wulf3n said:
I actually think his action was a calculated decision when considering paypals and/or ebays policies regarding poor/misleading item descriptions.
The whole article reads that way, in all honesty. He admitted the description said that it was a photo, he admitted that the seller had NO negative comments and had been around for awhile, and he admitted that even though he realized that the auction was in the wrong place he placed his bid anyway. Sounds like I wasn't the only one who read the Violin article two years ago. Confused? Go here. [http://www.cbsnews.com/news/paypal-makes-ebay-customer-destroy-2500-violin-seller-left-empty-handed/]

What is even MORE concerning is the fact that the auction no longer exists on eBay. At all. I mean, normally after something sells, the auction page remains accessible on the site labeled as "sold", but this auction has been completely erased! I searched for almost an hour (because working computer retail on a day when half the city is snowed in means I have a lot of free time on my hands) and found nothing.

The reason I searched was because I wanted to see this auction page for myself. I search eBay for memorabilia for my favorite movies and if any field gets mislabeled it is THAT one! Sellers will post in the title of their auction one thing but in the description something else. Books or music albums that share only the TITLE of the movie are also commonly "miss files". It is something the sellers due to get more hits and raise the odds of their product selling. Sort of like the poster of a Youtube video of someone doing something gross adds "cute kittens" or "Justin Bieber" to their Search Tags; to points more people towards the video and raises the hits.

But most people who post will make it VERY clear when something being auctioned is not EXACTLY what is described in the title. I am currently searching for props used on the set of my favorite movie and I found an auction labeled "Real Movie Prop". After clicking on the auction link to get more details, the description said "Real Movie Prop REPLICA" and descriptive how the seller did research on the film (which included visiting the company that made the props for the film, so 'go, dude') and made the replica based on that. Only if I hadn't been paying attention would I have missed the giant all-caps REPLICA label. I would like to think that is what happened here, but the article doesn't make it sound that way.

I feel sorriest for the gaming store that got roped into this. Dude, sell it to him at a discount. It's not like he didn't get his money back, Paypal bends over backwards to get people their money back if they aren't satisfied. That's one of the reason I will NEVER use Paypal!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, this guy just solidified his spot on the "Top 5 shameful people of 2013" thread I think I'm going to write at the end of this year.

He lost all sympathy with me when he said he was buying the console for his four year old son.

He may have honestly gotten duped while buying this picture. Which means he really was expecting a console to come with it. The idiocy of that is not what I'm here to debate. I'm more sickened by him saying the console was for his 4 year old son.

Colour Scientist said:
The XBox is marketed as an entertainment system, not just a gaming console.
Sure, his kid might not be playing the latest FPS but that doesn't mean he can't use it for other things. Microsoft have been trying to aim the console at families. My two little cousins, 5 and 11, were given an XBox and a Kinect a few years ago and they love it. They didn't get it for the hardcore gaming experience, I can tell you that.
I highly doubt your anecdotal story is backed with the facet of your cousins getting a fresh launched gaming console with next to nothing for kids in their age group to play. Sorry, but Lego Marvel Super Heroes is not a viable reason to throw $735 at a console. There's not even anything that's Kinect only besides Just Dance 2014 for 4 year olds to enjoy. And I doubt he wanted an Xbox One solely for his son.

Back to my point.

This guy used his kid for attention in the media and and got a refund in a situation that probably would have ended in him not even getting a refund in the first place. I highly doubt anyone and everyone who buys a picture of something that says its a picture in the description gets a refund. Especially after admitting that the description says its a picture. That's usually enough for eBay to tell you "tough luck. you read it, you bought it knowing what it was. nothing we can do." Plausible deniability.

Even if he was expecting to get an Xbox One due to the high price of the picture, that was an assumption he irresponsibly made. The video game company is just doing the skeevy PR/Marketing tactics gaming businesses are known to make so I'm not too angry with them. This guy however is shameful. But frankly folks that's all that needs to be said. No need for unrequited threats of castration. This point it out for what it is so that other hopefully learn to do better.

Phanixis

May 6, 2010
Caiphus said:
- The listing was "Xbox One Fifa 14 Day One Edition, Photo Brand New UK 2013"

Forgive me for not thinking that the description was "clear". For anyone who has seen a scam, you'd probably know that they don't tend to work if they're obvious cons. Furthermore, being listed in the wrong section by a seller with good feedback? Yeah, it's not entirely unreasonable that someone would fall for it.
Nice catch Caiphus. I was wondering what the precise verbatim of the title was, and this confirms my suspicions. This is known as a "misleading title" and is a direct violation of eBay's rules. Ebay was right to grant this man a refund, and hopefully they followed up by also closing the seller's account and reporting the seller to the attorney general's office of whatever state he resides in. This BS the seller pulled is criminal fraud, and nobody should have to put up with it. If it were up to me, I would have the seller thrown in jail for a couple of months.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I wouldn't pay close to 750? for any console!
I don't care if he got it in the end, he still paid double ths price for that thing.
Good for him I guess, a pretty easy PR move for Microsoft.
And people raging because they weren't "the lucky ones", althou as said, paid too much for it, even if the original would've been sent via ebay -.-

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Baffle said:
RedDeadFred said:
Why not give the free console to someone with a modicum of intelligence?
So you think it would make sense for CEX to have a press release along the lines of 'There's this thing going on with someone doing a thing on eBay. So we're giving this free Xbox to someone totally unrelated to this story'.

Yeah, I bet the PR would've been awesome. Would definitely have made the gaming press and got their name out there.
I didn't mean they should literally just give away a console for no reason... I guess that was clear in my mind but not in my post.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Its not a question of being jealous. I don't want an Xbox. If it was given to me I would sell it or give it to a kid in the family or something. Its stupid that he is rewarded for being a twit. Sure, he probably sort of maybe deserved a refund. But to top it off with a free system seems dumb. They could have gave it to a kid who did really good good in school. Or a kid who went out of his way to do community service.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
bdcjacko said:
How does a teenager have a 4 year old son and the disposable income to buy a brand new game system? Also why does a 4 year old need a glorified cable box?
THANK YOU
How does no one else think that's weird? Either this guy is getting a free ride from his parents or he somehow became head of a successful startup during the pregnancy.

BarrelsOfDouche

Apr 5, 2008
I would be happy to chock him getting a real Xbox one as charity...except it isn't. This is a retailer trying to garner good publicity.

The problem is that people waited in line for these things and someone who didn't, and made a dumb mistake to boot, is getting rewarded.

You wanna donate an Xbox to somebody who deserves it? Fine. Give it to the last guy in line who was one unit short of getting to pay for it.

Besides, I've heard that photos of the PS4 are about 100 bucks cheaper...and you don't waste precious ink on the kinect.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
MatsVS said:
gphjr14 said:
People aren't so much jealous, more or less they actually read the article and using sound logic came to the conclusion that the guy didn't deserve jack for being an imbecile.
Using sound logic they passed a moral judgement? Yeah, sure, that's how that works.

This world is a pretty shitty place, in case you haven't noticed, and if what bothers you is that something nice happens to a kinda dumb kid you're part of the problem.
Being a 19 year old father pushes him out of the kid category into a full fledged adult.

Also part of what problem? The world is shitty because people don't want stupidity to be rewarded?

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
gphjr14 said:
The world is shitty because people don't want stupidity to be rewarded?
People are slinging shit at a KID (contrary to what you wish was true, having a kid doesn't give you a magical growth spurt) for having something nice happen to him. Fuck sake... this is so bloody sad.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I'm not going to sling shit at the kid, but... He already got his refund, he can put his money down on a real XBone and get one the normal way. If he had been stiffed on the deal and didn't get his money back, I'd feel fine about him getting a free one, but this case didn't flow that way. He got his money back, his stupidity wasn't that harmful, just a good learning experience (hopefully) for him. Now that learning experience just turned into, do something stupid and get something free with no consequence for my actions at all.

Alorxico

Jan 5, 2011
Still can't find the original eBay post that started this madness, because I think if we did it would answer alot of questions. But it looks like someone is trying to turn a profit from this madness. Take a look. [http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Person-selling-picture-of-person-selling-picture-of-person-with-picture-of-XBOX1-/111236012338?pt=UK_Art_Photographs_RL&hash=item19e62ed932] I got a good giggle out of it.

Also, please, please, PLEASE, if ANYONE finds the original eBay auction or knows who the seller was, let me know either here or send me a PM. Thanks

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Clive Howlitzer said:
Everyone is so negative. Yeah he was a moron, and didn't really deserve it. Come on, though, if that happened to you, wouldn't you be pumped? Just be happy for the guy and move on!
This right here. Why does everybody feel the need to shit all over this guy? He got scammed, and then a store decided they could do somebody a favor and get some publicity at the same time. Whoop de freakin' do.

Just remember friends, putting others down is not the same as raising yourself up.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
A big fat shit on the reputation of my country.

A lot of people will probably say, "Where that twat who get the free XBOX and $750 comes from?" when sombody says "Nottingham".

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
mitchell271 said:
bdcjacko said:
How does a teenager have a 4 year old son and the disposable income to buy a brand new game system? Also why does a 4 year old need a glorified cable box?
I actually find this far more odd, than him actually getting a console for his stupidity.

Buying it for his four year old, having a four year old in the first place, and having the money to afford it with said four year old.

The only conclusion i can come up with is that he's a total Benefit cheat, which is probably, and most likely true.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Moral of the story: Hope your misfortune gets so much press that a big company decides it would be good for their image to give you what you want for free.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Four year old son? What's the four year old going to do with it?

And he's just a teenager himself? He's just a few years under my age, and I don't have the income to support myself + a son, let alone spend $700+ on a non-essential in a single go.

And he gets a free X1 WITH a refund?! I mean fine, good that nothing bad happened, and the refund was good too... but it just seems a bit undeserving after what happened really.