Man Who Bought $735 Xbox One Photo Gets Free Xbox One

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
MrBaskerville said:
He isn't being rewarded, he payed 735$ for a videogame console that costs 500$...
And then got a refund and the console for free.

This guy is literally getting his cake and eating it too.

edit: Whoops, didn't know people already said this. Sorry. c:

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
As much as I don't agree to the fact that this man is rewarded for a stupid mistake, I'm am shocked about how many people are shaming his character because of it.

People are ranting and raving about him purchasing a game system for his son. That because he became a parent at 15 years old he must be a terrible person. That he should be taking care of his son instead of buying a game system. And that he should be ashamed for being rewarded.

At what basis does anyone know this man personally? We don't know if he's a good father or a bad father. We don't know the circumstances of him becoming a parent. We don't know if he is emotionally or financially stable enough to take care of a child and own a game system.

Sure, there is a large chance he was primarily purchasing this system for himself, but there's also a chance he was purchasing it as a means in order to enjoy time with his child. My father and I used to play on the nintendo and playstation all the time when I was a little girl, and he bought those systems for us. There is a chance this man was doing the same. Why is he immediately harassed just because he became an early parent?

All the above could be wrong, he very well could be the worst parent in the world, but let's be upset with the fact that this man got a reward for a silly mistake (which I'm sure we've all screwed up somewhere at some time). And perhaps we should be less angry with him, and instead be angry with the individuals who decided to reward him in the first place.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Revnak said:
Good for him. It was probably a pretty stressful ordeal and while I can't say he deserves it, I'm definitely not unhappy that they're giving him one. And good on the store, even if they're just doing it for the publicity.
I'm sorry, but you're showing empathy on the internet. I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
This is dumb, it really is. He admitted to reading it was a photo, he shouldn't get shit. Rewarding people for being dumb is not a good thing. Try that in a work environment, people will just do the dumb thing over and over again. We shouldn't really approve of this shit.

hey_iknowyou

Dec 24, 2008
When I originally read an article on this it listed that the description was reasonably long winded and said "Photo Edition" or something to that effect towards the end so it was certainly ambiguous. Couple that with the fact that it was in the home electronics category, and also that presumably that it was listed for a price that the Xbone would be expected to be selling for selling for, I think it's insanely harsh to label the guy a complete moron for bidding on it.

The backlash about it has been unbelievable in this thread. Why is it such an issue with people? The fact that he got refunded would be the most reasonable solution in my book and good job to Ebay for doing so. Of course he doesn't "deserve" to get the console on top of this but so what, it was a company doing a nice thing for somebody and getting good publicity out of it. Probably some of the best marketing money they'll spend given how cheap it is for them.

I don't view this as him getting "rewarded for his stupidity" or whatever, it's just a nice thing happening to someone else after a shitty thing happened to him that's leading to a win-win for everyone involved. It was clearly a con attempt, albeit a dated one. Why not more anger directed at the person who posted the deliberately misleading advert on Ebay?

As for the amount of negativity directed at this guy personally for having a kid so young, buying computer games for such a young child ect. I know I was playing videogames when I was 4. I loved them. Just because systems have gotten more complex doesn't mean a kid can't still enjoy playing videogames. As somebody pointed out earlier, you don't have to play the game right to have a fun time playing it. And while I wasn't sexually active quite as young as this guy I wasn't far behind him. I could easily have ended up with a similarly aged child at his age but I don't feel that should have any reflection on my intelligence level or on me as a person.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I'm done with work now. I guess I should do some replying.
VoidWanderer said:
While I would like to point out opinions are flexible, and less rigid with being right and wrong, from my understanding of them I would like to point out one thing.

The Xbox One is a console that has not had the stock level problems of the PS4, so why did he pat MORE for the console, where there was a reasonable chance he could get one for less than what he got 'cheated' out of. And before you claim there must not have been any stock, he just got a free console.

I am curious as to why you are taking this so personally though. There are other people here who seem to have the same opinion as me, yet you make it seem like I am the leader of some evil cult...
I'm not talking about opinions though, I'm talking about "opinions." Ideas which are hard to come to objective conclusions about, but where there are definitely some conclusions which are worse than others. Politics, for example.

He didn't pay more. It's roughly the same price as the Fifa pack. Also, he wanted to get a day one version, for whatever reason he had.

I'm not taking it personally, in the sense that I am not personally offended by the insults he has been facing. I am disgusted by them though. It's just so juvenile and pointlessly cruel.

Skarvig said:
As you said, it's life and, sure, it would be better if we stopped fucking each other over but it's not going to stop. The only way we can stop this is by making sure that people won't be that dense the next time. Bad people will always be there no one can stop that, that's impossible. Only a campaign of publicly shaming stupid people can help, because this way everyone else will be cautious the next time they see a fishy offer. But we breed the next batch of stupid people by encouraging them to not stop and think for even a minute. It makes me sad that they're only gonna multiply.
I am seriously creeped out by this post. I thought we all admitted social darwinism was a fucked up ideology based on total pseudo-science. I guess I was wrong.

I am quite willing to admit that my ideal vision of society, one where we stop acting like assholes, is definitely a pipe dream. However, so it your's. Your "fair" society, where bad people get punished (or are not allowed to breed) and good people go on to produce great things and push forward great ideologies. Except this idea of a fair world is totally undermined by how arbitrary and totally unfair the universe itself is and always will be. Fairness is, at best, no more of an attainable goal than universal compassion.
Now for my statement on this.
But the REAL tragedy here is that he is buying this for his 4! year old son. A FOUR YEAR OLD GETTING AN XBOX FOR CHRISTMAS! No one thought that this may not be the brightest idea? Of course he is the one mostly playing with it, but this robs the son of so many different, better presents for a 4 year old. That poor kid probably can't even hold the controller, let alone understand what's happening on screen. That dumb dipshit has the nerve to tell the media that it's a present for his son to get people to root for him.
I have been playing video games for literally as long as I can remember. Some of my first memories involve playing Sonic. I was 3 or 4 then. When I have a kid, I probably will buy them a game console at a similar age (if I can afford it).

Zachary Amaranth said:
Revnak said:
Good for him. It was probably a pretty stressful ordeal and while I can't say he deserves it, I'm definitely not unhappy that they're giving him one. And good on the store, even if they're just doing it for the publicity.
I'm sorry, but you're showing empathy on the internet. I'm pretty sure that's not allowed.

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
MrBaskerville said:
He isn't being rewarded, he payed 735$ for a videogame console that costs 500$...
$735 is the rrp of the xbox 1 in the uk, that's why he was buying on ebay in the first place.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Revnak said:
He also read the fucking category which said that it was not a photograph, which was why he bid on it. Why is everybody being so intentionally dense about this? It's not like the guy went out and hurt anybody, he was a victim of a con, and even if it is something that is fun to laugh about, that doesn't make him unworthy of any kind of sympathy. He's the victim here.
Considering how unfair life is for us not stupid people, and most stupid people too, its perfectly natural to get annoyed about someone else getting lucky without even trying or doing anything noteworthy. And its not a very elaborate con, considering it revealed itself in the post, so he should really know better.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
sweetylnumb said:
Revnak said:
He also read the fucking category which said that it was not a photograph, which was why he bid on it. Why is everybody being so intentionally dense about this? It's not like the guy went out and hurt anybody, he was a victim of a con, and even if it is something that is fun to laugh about, that doesn't make him unworthy of any kind of sympathy. He's the victim here.
Considering how unfair life is for us not stupid people, and most stupid people too, its perfectly natural to get annoyed about someone else getting lucky without even trying or doing anything noteworthy. And its not a very elaborate con, considering it revealed itself in the post, so he should really know better.
If life is inevitably going to be unfair and arbitrary, then we should just aim to make life as good for all of us as we can. I understand why someone would be annoyed, a few years back I would have been annoyed with them, but that does not make it the right reaction.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
What saddens me most about this is the vitriol being dished out towards the guy. He got very lucky, I doubt even he would deny that, but that doesn't warrant the bitter and hateful comments directed at him.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, they called their shop CeX. I wouldn't expect any better from them than to swipe some cheap publicity from a man's stupidity.

A dad at 15. If he doesn't learn from this I hope he at least knows how to put a condom on, now.

jammiestdodger

Aug 23, 2010
I live in Nottingham, this guy seems quite a fool. I seem to remember reading that this chap is jobless and on the dole. My question is how the feck did he get 450 quid to buy this thing. For your son? hmm... its nice to see my hundreds of pounds of national insurance money a month is going to a good cause.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
smithy_2045 said:
What saddens me most about this is the vitriol being dished out towards the guy. He got very lucky, I doubt even he would deny that, but that doesn't warrant the bitter and hateful comments directed at him.
He isn't lucky, he did something stupid and decided to get some people's attention and make himself look special.

eBay saw it as covering their asses to refund his money, the site that started his story saw it as good clickbait and CEX saw it as a nice opportunity for good publicity.

It's a young man who, as far as we can tell, has not made great life decisions and continues to do so. And rather than people attempt to make him learn a lesson from his mistakes, it's being publically displayed as a story of the 'underdog' getting rewarded.

Except if this WERE the case of a legitimate underdog, it wouldn't be coated in caveats like '19 year old with a 4 year old son' or 'Even though I saw that the description said it was a photo of an xbone, I decided to buy it anyway because it was in the category I wanted to buy the product from' and best of all 'this gift is for my 4 year old son and totally not for me, the teenager who totally doesn't like to play video games'.

People are upset because the bullshit detector is going off the charts with this whole story. He plays up being conned and then goes around to con other people into buying his story and CEX decides to play along with the con by giving him a free xbone.

There is nothing 'lucky' about this, there's a VERY good chance this kid decided he could get some attention and some shit for free by acting like a moron and whadaya know, he did. It's society continuing to further reinforce that it's okay to be careless and make bad decisions, because you just might end up gold in the end when people pick up the pieces for you.

It's a continued reinforcement of this concept, just on an EXTREMELY small scale is all. He should not be praised for his 'luck', he was rightfully ridiculed in the original article that was posted. It's good that he got his money back but holy shit did he NOT need to be REWARDED for his mistake by not ONLY getting his money back but getting something for free too.

He's not a child, he's a fucking 19 year teen kid with a 4 year old son, though his behavior, actions and that smug look on his face in the photo SEEM to imply he has the mind of a 10 year old who just pulled the wool over the eyes of his parents.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Wow, you guys are jealous. Also, you guys don't le things die don't you? We get it, you think he's dumb for getting ripped off, and think he shouldn't be able to breed anymore ( Talk about pretentious.)

OT: Good for him.

jammiestdodger

Aug 23, 2010
IAmTheToaster said:
Colour Scientist said:
AndrewC said:
Inbreds like this should be neutered, not rewarded.

eBay say that if you've read a description and it states what it is and you buy it: END OF. The seller was completely honest, and this dipshit clearly knew what he was buying, obviously for his 4 year old - yeah ok buddy - but yet he gets his money back and a free console.

Godfuckingdammitworldstopcateringtostupidpeople ;_;
This is definitely a proportionate reaction to the situation.
Indeed. He certainly deserved a refund, not a free console.

He certainly doesn't deserve neutering.

EDIT: On a side note, what's the use in neutering someone who has already had a child..?
when youre a 19 year old with a 4 year old already that seems to have managed to scrape up the dough that most of us with jobs cant, I can see an argument for it...

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
Revnak said:
VoidWanderer said:
008Zulu said:
He is being rewarded for being a complete moron. I'm sorry, but no. This is not how society should work.
Nuts, I was going to say that this is encouraging idiotic cry-babies. The guy even admitted that it said PHOTO in the item description, and he still somehow got news coverage because he was 'scammed'.
Would have agreed, if he didn't admit it said photograph, and not the console in an interview.

If he admits he read it wrong and bought it anyway, that is not a con. This to me is more life-lesson than 'con'. If he took the time to read the description where it says photo and not console, and figured he would get the console anyway, needs to really think about his priorities.

He is only a victim of his own idiocy, and I am not meaning being a father at fifteen. Hell, the people who fell for the actual con of 'unlocking backwards compatibility' on the XB1 get more sympathy from me, cause most people aren't tech-savvy enough to know it wouldn't work, but he failed basic logic and reading skills.

Sorry Revnak, but I disagree with your opinion with my own opinion.
Being dumb does not mean the scammer is off the hook. And he's a victim of someone else's predatory efforts to take advantage of his (and others') idiocy. We can all shake our heads in bewilderment that he fell for it, but the fact that it ever happened in the first place is the real crime here that we should all be pissed off about.

I don't honestly know how I feel about this guy getting an Xbox One, though. I suppose it's fine...the store awarding it can do whatever it wants, after all....and I imagine this guy is not rolling in money...but doing this seems to be rewarding his lack of common sense. And while I don't bedgrudge the victim of a scam, I do think that the optimal solution here already happened (Ebay refunds him) while adding the free Xbox One seems somehow to be rewarding bad judgement and poor decision making skills.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
jammiestdodger said:
I live in Nottingham, this guy seems quite a fool. I seem to remember reading that this chap is jobless and on the dole. My question is how the feck did he get 450 quid to buy this thing. For your son? hmm... its nice to see my hundreds of pounds of national insurance money a month is going to a good cause.
Probably his parents. But who knows, you could be right.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
Headsprouter said:
Well, they called their shop CeX. I wouldn't expect any better from them than to swipe some cheap publicity from a man's stupidity.

A dad at 15. If he doesn't learn from this I hope he at least knows how to put a condom on, now.
Maybe we missed his outrage four years ago when he was awarded $10,000 from Trojan Condoms after complaining that he thought they were chewable?