Mandatory Physical Education

Jim From Accounting

Mar 10, 2010
It's to get the fattys to move and in hope get them to start eating beter witch will hopefully lead to a heathy life style and bring America out of the top 5 fat ass countries of the world.

Adrian Neyland

Apr 20, 2011
As a nerd I say that there needs to be a alternative to pe. such as sitting in the corner with a note from mum classes.

Caligulust

Apr 3, 2010
I don't really care about physical education. I took it, now I'm done. The class was only a bother if I didn't have a friend in it. I got exercise, and it seemed less awkward to run around the gym in shorts and plain T-shirt than it does to run around the block.

I don't quite understand your stance. You don't like that it's mandatory because people you don't like will be in it? Are you forced to directly interact with them? You'll probably have to deal with "those" kind people in some of your other classes. They also get older, sometimes they get better, other times they stay the same. You'll encounter them as an adult after High School as well.

My problem with those people is when they refuse to participate, and you are required to run for five minutes more each time they slow down to chat.

So anyways, what are they directly doing to you?

Jamie Johnson

Jan 14, 2011
i think madatory P.E. is very good ...its been a while since i was at school ( i think about 4 years now :( ) and i remeber hateing P.E. but it was the only exersize i got (and unfortunatly i dont exersize now just out of pure lazyness and lack of will power) i wouldnt mind if it be came law to do an hour a week lol or and hour a day its not that lona a time and would help me be healthyer so i guess im for P.E. now just wish i was earlyer lol

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Bluntknife said:
It's there to help you be physically active and by extension healthy.

If you go into it thinking it is going to be a waste of time.
You will gain nothing.

However if you apply yourself might be able to add something to your "slender figure"

Lastly, you might want to not call the people in your class neanderthals.
You come off as an asshole and you will likely get your ass beat.
This.

Not sure why this needs to be debated.

Being physically active is good for you.

Kids get picked on in all aspects of school. Getting rid of PE cos of that is silly. Harden the fuck up.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
PE was fine and is fine. So sometimes guys make fun of each other, big frekking deal.

I'm not saying it's the ideal thing but in a society where diabeties and obesity are one of very common things this one of the cheapest and most cost effective ways to actually make kids get off their ass and actually do couple of exercises.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Can anyone tell me what's so special about this? In our country it's always been this way, P.E. is a regular part of school you can't skip out on, just like, say, math.
Sure, being a fat kid I didn't much like P.E. sometimes, but it was useful nonetheless and actually helped me discover a few team-based sports I'm good at.

foodmaniac

Mar 2, 2010
I thought that PE was one of my more fun classes, even though I am absolutely atrocious at any physical activity. Maybe the act of throwing a ball at someone's face was very stress relieving?
Btw, PE was compulsory for me from year 7 - 10 (Australian standards).

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
TestECull said:
I can tell you why I don't like it.

Exercise in general just feels like I'm spinning my wheels, like I'm a gerbil in a wheel. I get tired, cranky, sweaty, uncomfortable, and I have fuck all to show for it. I've got no qualms about doing labor-intensive work, just last week I was outside slaving away underneath my truck replacing worn suspension parts, but with that I had something to show for it. Before it drove like I was drunk, now it tracks straight and true. I'll mow my yard with a push mower, because I can look out my window and see a lawn instead of a field. But I flat refuse to exercise because I see no benefit to wasting the time and energy.
I'm not going to tell you that you're wrong in feeling that way, but there are a wide range of benefits to exercising - it helps to combat disease, it keeps your weight down, it improves your mood, it gives you more energy, it helps one sleep better, and, in general, it makes one look better, as well. You don't have to like exercise, but claiming you have "fuck all to show for it" is incredibly shortsighted. Yes, you aren't going to see the benefits I listed above immediately after exercising, and it would seem as though that's the main issue you have with exercise in general. Which is too bad, because it's good for you, and there's simply no arguing that point.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I've never been properly marked in PE owing to the fact that the teachers don't care as long as the athletic kids are doing something and neither my parents nor I considered it important. When doing GCSEs (14 - 16) we had one lesson every fortnight. It was just as well because I never liked it, not because I'm bad at sport (although I am) but because it was boring - the teacher would just give us a football or basketball and let us be.

It got interesting when we went to do less conventional sports. We spent one term doing circuits and boxercise at the nearby leisure centre (punching pads then running round in circles and doing push ups) and then the next year, I kid you not, we walked down to the local bowling alley.

So yeah, it's boring because not even the teachers are motivated.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
TestECull said:
Exercise in general just feels like I'm spinning my wheels, like I'm a gerbil in a wheel. I get tired, cranky, sweaty, uncomfortable, and I have fuck all to show for it.
Thats becuase you are focusing on what you image should be AFTER exercise. maybe the exercises you're doing are a bit daft for tennessse but remember that almost everything you do in life is exercise and tbh If you are healthy and dont particularly enjoy Phys as an adult you shouldn't do it.

However saying that; what PE should do is motivate you as a kid to maintaining a healthy lifestyle if not then its a bunch of guys playing games in short-shorts its the reason its called Phys Ed and not Phys Training.

As for sports...my school did not offer any of the following:

Stock car racing
gokarts
motorbike
dirtbike
ATV
RC
touring cars
drag racing

Since they didn't offer any sports I liked, let alone wanted to play, I didn't have any interest joining or practicing any of them.
just becuase My school didnt offer:
Rowing
Sailing
Field Gun http://youtu.be/t2Rb9A77-w8
It didint stop me from taking PE as a GCSE subject

As someone with severe Dyspraxia (I cant throw a ball in a straight line let alone catch one, and sometimes walk straight into walls) it was hard but I got through enjoying every minute of it ^.^

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I don't know about high school, but, to be honest, having a lesson or two a week where you get to run around, have fun and do fuck all sounds fine to me. A way of blowing off steam and not getting overly stressed, and keeping yourself from getting burnt out studying. But, then again, some people might find they seriously don't want to do that, or don't find that it gives them those positive effects. So, yeah, it should be available, but probably not mandatory.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I think physical education should be required. It is to help you stay in shape but also usually focusing on team aspects as well.

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
So I question the Escapist members about mandatory Physical Ed.: What's the point?
Point is that not all have the motivation or any kind of experience on exercising. Some get no physical movement at home. I know it's nearly a lost call to try to change that in school, but still... doesn't hurt anyone. Only your nerves ;)

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Uh, without it, I think most of us would not do any or barely any work out otherwise. I guess its to prevent us from becoming moving hills.
Also: you're a neanderthal for enjoying sports? I'm about as active as a dead fish and I love a good game of hockey, badminton or something similar to those two.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
In my school mandatory P.E isn't a grade, it's supposed to go through all the sports and some fitness but we always end up pressuring the teacher to let us play football(soccer) or basketball:3

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Edit: I work out at the gym. A Lot.

So in my starting year of Highschool in about a month, every student needs to have one credit of physical education in order to pass to the new grade. There are only two classes to choose from, endurance building (Muscle building I guess) and Sports practice. I obviously picked the endurance training because I do not want to be with all the neanderthals and I have a very slender figure. (Does not help that i'm a nerd too.)

So I question the Escapist members about mandatory Physical Ed.: What's the point?

There is no point in having physical education. It's our life. Our build. I think we have enough power to decide what we want to do with our bodies, correct?

Can you help me understand this "Theory" of P.E.? I'm some what ignorant of these thing called rules in school.
WARNING: This post contains sensitive subject matter, which may affect you emotionally.

Endurance training isn't muscle building, at least not in the sense that body builders do it. Endurance training is more about training to be able to exercise for longer periods of time. Essentially it is indeed about enlongating your core muscles so that you can use them for longer, but that really isn't the main focus of endurance training. In fact, I can guarantee you that the main muscle your focus will be on is your heart, since the relatively slow muscle build is barely recognisible compared to the physical strain your heart has to put itself through.
When you think of endurance training think of excercises like running (marathons not sprinting) or swimming. Sure, you build muscle, but that's not really the reason you train for those things.
Anyway, to answer your question, education feels the need to take some responsibility for the physical development of its students, especially since they're cooped up in a room most of the time, but I'd postulate that schools these days don't actually do enough to encourage children and teenagers to exercise (what with the whole overweight issue these days). So is it really worth it for that one, perhaps those two lessons a week? Well, one could agrue that exercise at school might encourage young people to become more involved in sports outside of school, maybe out of a competitive stride. And there's certainly an argument to be made there.
Honestly though, do you really believe the world would be a better place if you had 100% control over your body at such a young age? Suicide for instance is still strictly speaking homocide, so you could even argue that you never have full jurisdiction over your body and perhaps that's for the best. Moreover, what about the brain? Wouldn't you say that that's part of your body too? Yet every day you still go to school to let your teachers tweak at it to improve its knowledge. And I think we can all agree that's for the best, no?
From a more practical, less philosophical point of view, didn't you just say that you already work out a lot? How is a little bit of P.E. going to make a difference then? One would have thought that you might actually enjoy it more in that case.

grizzlyAssuager

Feb 23, 2011
Knusper said it right.

I think that like so many subjects, it all depends on the teachers.
personally, in my entire school career, I had ONE good PE teacher, in my last year:

She was not abusive is any way (it's sad this is mentioned as some special thing), and she managed to magically motivate a bunch of 17-year old girls in an art school, by letting them do things suited to their activity-level. Teaching how to give a friend a massage, how to climb up a rope, some basic yoga, going to the fitness hall and letting us roam free, stuff like that.
She also made sure to not do things that stigmatize people, and give them asthma-attacks at the same time things like those bloody cooper tests.

this shows what PE can (and maybe even should) be.
In theory, it would be nice and relaxing to do some stuff with your body once in a while at school, and I think it would be great if less active people could get a taste of what doing sports can feel like, they might even stick with it, or you know, HAVE SOME FUN. Teaching a group of students with wildly varying skills sports by letting them run laps or playing teamsports involving balls is just going to frustrate the better ones, and downright traumize the lesser students. So if any PE teacher reads this: MORE FUN PLZ. You choose this job because you love sports? Time to spread that love, instead of shouting at us from the side while we are running laps.

(I was one of the most unmotived kids possible in PE. Having exercise-induced asthma might have had something to do with that. Now I don't have those classes anymore, I do a lot of sports. Maybe it was that last teacher I had, maybe it's just that being forced to do something is never fun. Hooray for freedom!)

thick doona

Jul 11, 2011
If you're never exposed to PE how will you know if you like it?

It's the same as how English should try to make you love reading, Maths and Science give you new ways of thinking/skills.

The vast majority of stuff you do in school will be not be of much use to you. At least this one sort of HAS to be ;)

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
I hated PE when I was in school. HATED it.

What it did was have us do sports stuff for a while. What it didn't do is educate me.

Now that I'm older... I actually see its value. You need to exercise and keep fit. However, where physical education often fails is teaching people HOW to do that for oneself.

Now, what SHOULD be included are lessons in Sports Medicine, Kinesiology, First Aid.

Knowledge of what the difference between Aerobic and Anaerobic exercises is, and which exercises are for building strength, which endurance.

That sort of shit... so that the students can walk away knowing how to prevent making their lardy butts bigger, or their skinny asses skinnier.

Also... some fundamental knowledge of how certain sports work is also cool. I think it's a crime that in my Canadian school, they didn't teach hockey fundamentals.