Manga, how do you pronounce it?

asmidir

Apr 10, 2010
Man-gah, Mon-gah, Mun-gah, Men-gah, Man-gar, Main-gah, Mignogna.

I've heard so may people pronounce the word Manga differently so I thought i'd ask my Escapist buddies. How do you pronounce Manga? This isn't a "What's the correct way?" thread I'm just more interested in other peoples interpretations. We all read words differently sometimes. I pronounce like Mon-gah, how about you?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Exactly how it's written Man-ga.

I didn't realise there was any other way to pronounce a word like Manga.

asmidir

Apr 10, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
Exactly how it's written Man-ga.

I didn't realise there was any other way to pronounce a word like Manga.
Apparently the right way (according to Google) is Mon-gah.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I pronounce it Main-gah. I don't know if that's the 'correct' pronunciation, but it's the one that I use.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Pretty much Man-ga and sometimes i have to try to correct some of my American friends because they call it Mon-ga because it sounds like there is no "A" in the word not that it irks me i just feel the need to correct.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Mon-gah is the more like the French pronounce it, so I'd only recommend doing that if you're talking to French people.

For me, I pronounce it more (tho probably not exactly) like the Japanese - mun-gah.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Mah-nga. I pronounce it the proper Japanese way since I actually learnt some Japanese in school. Non-jap speakers tend to say the 'a' sound as in the a in tangy. A sharp sound. Whereas it literally sounds like "ah" when you say "ah..that's how you say it". It frustrates me when people say it wrong, since unlike English, there is one AND ONLY ONE way to pronounce vowels.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Man-ga Is how I pronounce it, I don't really say it as Mon-ga because that sounds weird to say to me and dammit if its written as man-ga then I'm going to pronounce it as such.

mikeysnakes

Apr 22, 2010
マンガ or /maNga/

Vowels are always the same in Japanese so it's not very difficult. It's always pronounced the same way so there's no reason to change the pronunciation, and there's no accenting in Japanese.

Any other way is wrong because manga is solely the Japanese word for a comic book, it's not an english word.

masterbazza

Mar 24, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
I generally pronounce it 'comic books' because I love winding manga fans up.

Then again I'm the guy who goes to Magic booster drafts and incessantly refers to it as a 'children's card game'.
i like you (wow that came out wrong)

Halcyone3

Mar 4, 2011
i believe the actual phonetics is man-gah, but not entirely sure, explaining pronunciation to an english speaker has always been really hard for me, what with it being a language when a single written word can be pronounced 50 different ways. Coming from Spanish, which like in Japanese, every letter has a single way of being pronounced, I've never gotten around that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I pronounce it Man-Ga. I do know that it can be pronounce as Mon-gah but I just remember it as Man-ga more.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
There is only one way of saying it correctly and it's "ma-n-ga".

Silly Westerners and their inability to speak correctly.

LilCyan

Sep 16, 2011
If you want to pronounce it correctly, it's not Man-ga. It's MA N GA. The n is it's own syllable. Mah nn Gah

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
I generally pronounce it 'comic books' because I love winding manga fans up.

Then again I'm the guy who goes to Magic booster drafts and incessantly refers to it as a 'children's card game'.
LMAO I do the same thing and I call anime, cartoons :p