Manga, how do you pronounce it?

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I don't understand how these threads continue to exist now that we have audio dictionaries.

Click here to hear the correct pronunciation. [http://www.merriam-webster.com/audio.php?file=manga01v&word=manga&text=\%3Cspan%20class%3D%22unicode%22%3E%CB%88%3C%2Fspan%3Em%C3%A4%C5%8B-g%C9%99\]

It's not manga like mango with an a on the end, though I admit that's how I read and pronounced it before I looked it up.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I pronounce it MANAGAAAAAAA

man-a-gaaaaaaaaa

Because my friends have now decided this is the best way to communicate that it's worth a read. I was slightly amused, I admit.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
I generally pronounce it 'comic books' because I love winding manga fans up.

Then again I'm the guy who goes to Magic booster drafts and incessantly refers to it as a 'children's card game'.
Thats funny I do the same by calling action figure dolls just to piss of action figure collectors. And dont worry, i do the same with Magic.

OT: I pronounce it with the long A in the first syllable and the guh sound as the second.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I pronounce in the Japanese way cos damn it, I didn't spend 3 years studying the language for nothing! >.<

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I pronounce it as "maynga" although I'm well aware that it's pronouncd manga.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
Marik2 said:
LMAO I do the same thing and I call anime, cartoons :p
And the best thing is those are actual translations! If people get a bit snooty you can just say 'hey, I'm just agreeing with the artists'.
EXACTLY

Baffles me how people dont know about that

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
Doom-Slayer said:
Mah-nga. I pronounce it the proper Japanese way since I actually learnt some Japanese in school. Non-jap speakers tend to say the 'a' sound as in the a in tangy. A sharp sound. Whereas it literally sounds like "ah" when you say "ah..that's how you say it". It frustrates me when people say it wrong, since unlike English, there is one AND ONLY ONE way to pronounce vowels.
luckally for us dutch folks, thats all the a's we ever use. so i seem to pronounce it correctly. lol ( a as in 'ah' )
verry clear explanation btw, nicely done ^^

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Man-ga.

It helps that the written word in my native language actually exists (meaning something different, though), so I just reuse the pronunciation...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Mang-guh, with the tone rising at the last syllable. I'm Swedish.
Mr Thin said:
I don't understand how these threads continue to exist now that we have audio dictionaries.

Click here to hear the correct pronunciation. [http://www.merriam-webster.com/audio.php?file=manga01v&word=manga&text=\%3Cspan%20class%3D%22unicode%22%3E%CB%88%3C%2Fspan%3Em%C3%A4%C5%8B-g%C9%99\]

It's not manga like mango with an a on the end, though I admit that's how I read and pronounced it before I looked it up.
IN all fairness, how many English-speaking people pronounce words like "spaghetti," "café" "Jesus," "sushi," "IKEA" and "Björk" correctly? Bad pronunciation of foreign phrases is pretty much how you're spupposed to do it if you're an English-speaker.

mikeysnakes

Apr 22, 2010
Mr Thin said:

Actually that pronunciation is a little anglicized. But it's hell of a lot closer than what some people would say.

Queen Michael said:
IN all fairness, how many English-speaking people pronounce words like "spaghetti," "café" "Jesus," "sushi," "IKEA" and "Björk" correctly? Bad pronunciation of foreign phrases is pretty much how you're spupposed to do it if you're an English-speaker.
Those are different, those are what would be called borrowed words, there were no other ways to describe these things in the English language, especially Bjork (~_^). But manga has an english counterpart: Comic.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
The correct pronunciation for the word is "mon-guh." Two years in Japanese studies taught me that really quick.

I tend to cringe a bit when I hear it pronounced the other way.

Iron_will

Feb 8, 2008
Read these two posts.
Doom-Slayer said:
Mah-nga. I pronounce it the proper Japanese way since I actually learnt some Japanese in school. Non-jap speakers tend to say the 'a' sound as in the a in tangy. A sharp sound. Whereas it literally sounds like "ah" when you say "ah..that's how you say it". It frustrates me when people say it wrong, since unlike English, there is one AND ONLY ONE way to pronounce vowels.
mikeysnakes said:
&#12510;&#12531;&#12460;&#12288;or /maNga/

Vowels are always the same in Japanese so it's not very difficult. It's always pronounced the same way so there's no reason to change the pronunciation, and there's no accenting in Japanese.

Any other way is wrong because manga is solely the Japanese word for a comic book, it's not an english word.
Then your question is answered. There are no other ways to pronounce for it.

RagnarokHybrid

Aug 6, 2011
I've gotten so used to saying the May-n-guh--otherwise known as the incorrect, American way--and I really want to say Mahn-gah but I never catch myself before the wrong word blurts out.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
I generally pronounce it 'comic books' because I love winding manga fans up.

Then again I'm the guy who goes to Magic booster drafts and incessantly refers to it as a 'children's card game'.
Not just any children's card game, a SHADOW children's card game, Binky Boy!

OT: Mahn-ga. That's the proper Japanese way. The first A is supposed to be pronounced as an ah sound. Trust me, I've taken more than a few classes on Japanese language.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
mikeysnakes said:
Mr Thin said:

Actually that pronunciation is a little anglicized. But it's hell of a lot closer than what some people would say.

Queen Michael said:
Those are different, those are what would be called borrowed words, there were no other ways to describe these things in the English language, especially Bjork (~_^). But manga has an english counterpart: Comic.
I see your point, but I'd say that manga is a borrowed word like the others, since people saying "manga" don't mean the same thing that they mean when they use the word "comics." The word has another meaning when English-speakers use it. Lke how the English word "brat" means "young man aged about 18-26 whose rich dad pays for everything" whn we Swedes use it.