Many of the best Si-Fi movies have nudity?

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Well, certain kind of nudity. Watchmen had a naked guy on screen a few times, and by the reaction, you'd think that was the only thing in that movie.
Well, in the comic (for fanboys...."graphic novel") Dr. Manhattan was always naked. Therefore, I feel that they were just being true to the source material, and not attempting to "shoe-horn" it in.

Other than that, I completely agree that nudity is forced into a lot of movies where it is not central to the plot. Horror and Sci-fi are the biggest perpetrators of this.

Does it make for a better movie? Hardly. Nudity can't clean up a shitty plot, horrible acting, or ridiculous premise.

WeAreStevo

Sep 22, 2011
henritje said:
what about the Star Wars series?
I haven,t seen them all but as far as I know they don,t have nudity.
Well....this will remain true until Lucas makes the 4th alteration to the original trilogy that will include his dream of a Ewok on Wookie sex scene.

It will be CGI though, so at least it's going to be tasteful

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Blade Runner had nudity in it - The replicant Zhora was a exotic dancer and Deckard hoping to pull a little ruse follows her into her dressing room, where she's topless. Totally acceptable within the confines of the story.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
It's because the vast majority of sci-fi films are aimed at teenage boys. That's why the tits are almost always inversely proportional to the amount of believable characterization, challenging themes, or actual science.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
craftomega said:
Has anyone else noticed this?

EG:
-SuperNova
-Total Recall
-Lifeforce
-Starship Troopers

I wonder if this is because people belive that boobs will make people watch there movies?

Or if they are trying to have a semi accurate view of the culture (From the history/story of the movie)

Thoughts?
The word you're looking for is 'worst' and yes, among poor sci-fi films, it appears nudity is available.

That's my opinion anyway - what makes you say these are some of the 'best' sci-fi films?

craftomega

May 4, 2011
Conza said:
craftomega said:

EG:
-SuperNova
-Total Recall
-Lifeforce
-Starship Troopers

I wonder if this is because people belive that boobs will make people watch there movies?

Or if they are trying to have a semi accurate view of the culture (From the history/story of the movie)

Thoughts?
The word you're looking for is 'worst' and yes, among poor sci-fi films, it appears nudity is available.

That's my opinion anyway - what makes you say these are some of the 'best' sci-fi films?
Because i enjoyed watching them far more then most "Criticly Aclaimed" movies.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
thaluikhain said:
Well, certain kind of nudity. Watchmen had a naked guy on screen a few times, and by the reaction, you'd think that was the only thing in that movie.
You mean there was more to that movie than two and a half hours of a big blue penis flopping around?

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
craftomega said:
Conza said:
craftomega said:

EG:
-SuperNova
-Total Recall
-Lifeforce
-Starship Troopers

Thoughts?

Because i enjoyed watching them far more then most "Criticly Aclaimed" movies.
Then the word you're now looking for is 'favourite' not 'best' ;).

AngleWyrm

Feb 2, 2009
We should immediately edit all the available movies to be more inline with today's freaky morality of the week syndromes.

- Blade Runner, rework the character Pris, so that she's not a sex robot. It's sexist, by which I mean admitting that women sell sex and men buy sex is a secret.
- Alien, remove the scene where the crewman gets raped by the alien. Evil, criminal acts should never be in movies. Nothing but rainbows and sparkle ponies.
- Avatar, cut out the scene where the female Navi destroys social order by having sex with an alien (human). It's racial prejudice; aliens are people too.
- Anime/Manga should be banned. Having sex with oriental people should not be allowed, because those evil Chinese people are going to be our enemies in a few generations.
- Remake the movie Gamer, only with no guns or nudity.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Event Horizon had plently of nudity.

As well as other things.

Von Strimmer said:
Odbarc said:
Rabish Bini said:
Wait, did 12 Monkeys contain nudity?
Did it contain 12 monkeys?
Actual humour on the escapist? Now that is something you rarely see around here anymore :D

Contact was a great sci fi movie and I believe it didn't contain nudity. Also has anyone else noticed that Jodie foster looks a lot like Australian PM Julia Gillard?
Am I the only one who didnt really get 12 Monkeys? I didnt like it or dislike it but when I finished it my reaction was "Well that was weird." with no real emotional or intellectual impact on me. Movies leave some sort of impact but 12 Monkeys left me with nothing.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Film industry trying to make a quick buck but getting some girl to take off her top, then they flash her on screen for half a second to earn an MA15+ label so that adults think its not a kids film. Then they go watch it and are disappointed that the plot is about as complex as Barney the Dinosaur.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Ehh.... I don't agree with this, though that's probably because my definition of good Sci-fi is way different than the OP's. IIRC, there is little to no nudity in any of the Sci-fi films that I like. Come to think of it, there's pretty much no nudity in most of the movies I like in general. :eek:

I wonder why that is. I'm not a prude or anything. :eek:

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Wolfram01 said:
marscentral said:
It's not a film, but the pilot episode of Stargate SG1 has full frontal nudity. The DVD was rated 18 in the UK which confused me until I watched it.
Whaaat? I've watched a lot of SG1 and I don't think it had any nudity. Maybe they cut it out for prime time TV?
Yes, they did. But if you pick it up elsewhere, the nudity is definitely there.

And on topic, you're not on to anything. Lots of good and bad movies have nudity. Lots of good and bad movies also do not have nudity. There's nothing go on here, people like boobs. Sometimes, we get them.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Hmm, I don't remember any nudity in either of the two best sci-fi movies ever made. That is, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Blade Runner. Or maybe there was some (it's been awhile, I think there might have been a little in Blade Runner), but nothing in the pandering audiences sort of way.

But really, what's the big deal about nudity? It can be done in a completely non-pandering way.

Also, this
Kendarik said:
That makes my brain hurt. I don't consider any of those "best sci fi", those are all B movies (although fun to watch).

B movies often throw in nudity as a selling point because they know their content is weak.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I don't recall any nudity in Moon, Wrath of Khan, Surrogates or District 9. I think you are looking for a trend where there isn't one.