Map Making Programs (For DnD)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So, as I am on a DMing break so we may have another person DM in a new setting, I am taking the time to flesh out my world some more.

One way I'd like to do this is by mapping out said world a bit more clearly. While I have a makeshift map in paint for the region my campaign took place in, it is, well, a makeshift map in paint.

I googled "map maker" and got some interesting results, but if anyone else perhaps has already done the leg work or if anyone has any suggestions or advice, Id like to hear them.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Saelune said:
So, as I am on a DMing break so we may have another person DM in a new setting, I am taking the time to flesh out my world some more.

One way I'd like to do this is by mapping out said world a bit more clearly. While I have a makeshift map in paint for the region my campaign took place in, it is, well, a makeshift map in paint.

I googled "map maker" and got some interesting results, but if anyone else perhaps has already done the leg work or if anyone has any suggestions or advice, Id like to hear them.
The last time I was playing I used prepared laminated tiles for dungeons and tokens and a simple grid program on laptop.

Basically photocopies of the grid in the old DMGs, laminate ... use dry erase markers and cut outs in different colours.

For world maps I cheated and just used a Google Maps image of the interesting pieces of topography of Earth, mesh them together by adding in missing details, carfully removed names of towns, rivers, etc ... and filled in the blanks.

But I was always a bit lazy in terms of visually showing the world. Describing it in words makes more sense for a Medieval-esque society because that's how people navigated. Using stories and talking about different ways to get places. Plus it's kind of hilarious to ask players if they remembered the instructions to get to some off the beaten path place after 3 sessions of tromping through various places.

If they couldn't... survival roll modified by the number of days and how far off the beaten path they are :3 ... It was a roll the players didn't mind failing, because failing them might mean no reward ... but more adventures they might not have found.

I only really use maps when running Shadowrun. Even then I just modify existing city maps... etc

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Saelune said:

The last time I was playing I used prepared laminated tiles for dungeons and tokens.

Basically photocopies of the grid in the old DMGs, laminate ... use dry erase markers and cut outs in different colours.

For world maps I cheated and just used a Googleaps image of an interesting piece(s) of topography of Earth, mesh them together by adding in missing details, carfully removed names of towns, rivers, etc ... and filled in the blanks.

But I was always a bit lazy in terms of visually showing the world. Describing it in words makes more sense for a Medieval-esque society because that's how people navigated. Using stories and talking about different ways to get places.

I only really use maps when running Shadowrun. Even then I just modify existing city maps... etc
I just really like being able to look at a map of Tamriel or Middle-Earth and having defined locations.

My world is vaguely based on our own, but I have been altering it more and more as I get less concerned with trying to mirror our reality in a fantasy game.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Saelune said:
I just really like being able to look at a map of Tamriel or Middle-Earth and having defined locations.

My world is vaguely based on our own, but I have been altering it more and more as I get less concerned with trying to mirror our reality in a fantasy game.
I don't know... using modded Google Map images might be easier for you then. Deserts and thick jungles work well... as do unpopulated/sparsely populated islands also work well for maritime adventures.

Then you mesh them up, smooth out details, one instant world map ... or instead of world maps have regional maps ... then hand draw how these should look when you bring it all together.

Not sure.

Might I suggest Rottnest Island... I had a job there... that island has everything. Beautiful bays, forested section, deserted salt lakes thing at the heart of it, nice beaches, reefs, a single small human habitat and port, tiny little foot and bike paths, tiny little rivers... If you blew it up big it would make a siitable island kingdom esque place.

Pretty place.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I honestly just drew MS paint stuff with one of my maps. It worked fine for what it was, but it looked like crap. Was better than nothing though, as I lacked the skill to make much better at the time

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'm gonna be honest I just draw flowcharts that can't be understood by anyone but me when I'm mapping out a Dungeon, it works just fine most of the time.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I use Inkarnate myself. It's pretty solid and has a bunch of useful little features to make a somewhat quality map for DnD for free in a decent amount of time.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
I remember doing some worldbuilding for a project once, and I think I ended up working off of a map from either donjon or topps (Can't remember which). Donjon in particular is quite useful because it gives you that nice little preview of the globe...and then you hit construct and you get a more detailed map. For illustration purposes try 951290341 as a seed, with 55% water and whatever for ice. Now hit construct and wait about a minute for it to compile (it is a 4000x2000 image after all)

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Saelune said:

I've recently started GM'ing for my Dark Heresy group. I was really tempted to do a map of the Hive World they're in with key places highlighted in the capital and things like that (probably also in paint). They've only just started exploring the capital city where they landed so I could still introduce a world map when they become a bit more mobile.

Do you find it useful (for them and you) having a fully fleshed out world map? I'm kinda learning there is a thin line where you want to know your setting really well because they'll go off script, but likewise them going of script can mean that your fleshed out setting needs to be changed.

A bit more OT:
I've used a couple of online map builders but never anything bigger than a continent/region sized, but I guess you could stick a couple of continents together to make a world, though that may make a strange world with a lava continent leading straight onto a jungle continent with little merging though depending on how you want your setting that may be cool.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bobular said:
Saelune said:

I've recently started GM'ing for my Dark Heresy group. I was really tempted to do a map of the Hive World they're in with key places highlighted in the capital and things like that (probably also in paint). They've only just started exploring the capital city where they landed so I could still introduce a world map when they become a bit more mobile.

Do you find it useful (for them and you) having a fully fleshed out world map? I'm kinda learning there is a thin line where you want to know your setting really well because they'll go off script, but likewise them going of script can mean that your fleshed out setting needs to be changed.

A bit more OT:
I've used a couple of online map builders but never anything bigger than a continent/region sized, but I guess you could stick a couple of continents together to make a world, though that may make a strange world with a lava continent leading straight onto a jungle continent with little merging though depending on how you want your setting that may be cool.
I keep things vague enough to be able to plop down a town or village or cave when it suits the game but, well, we sort of follow an "Its been established" rule. That thing wont just disappear for no reason, and should it come to it, can be returned to in other campaigns. The only exception is if it is at a different point in time where it did not yet exist or exists no longer, but it still means it will be or was there.

Plus, considering my world is based alot on our own, there is plenty of places to go and be, so if any country gets too filled out, I could always set it somewhere else.

As I mentioned to Addendum, I like looking at a fantasy map and knowing alot of it, and being curious of the rest. It is one of the main appeals of playing Elder Scrolls Online as a TES fan, hearing about places in Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim (the games), in a book, or in passing, and then finally seeing it on a map and being like "Oh, Ive heard of Firsthold, Ive heard of Wayrest" etc.

Plus it can help me keep track. If I have a character from another land, I want to have an idea where that is, and not forget the name. Ive accidentally renamed countries before, and dont always have a clear idea where one is in relation to another.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
If you were doing it online, I'd recommend Roll20.
Well, I mean, if you have a printer, I guess you still could use Roll20, and just print out the maps you make. Though, I guess that's the point, since you asked for programs.
So, yeah, I'd recommend Roll20. I've probably made about a hundred maps of varying sizes and complexity with it. And it's free. Not really a program so much as a site you join and play on, though.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I've used this one before:

http://inkarnate.com/users/sign_in#/

Free and produced a high quality fantasy-style map, in my opinion.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any specific programs, but the fine folks over at the Cartographers' Guild will certainly be able to help you.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
World Map? Just have whoever can doodle doodle it.
Battle Map? roll20 is pretty good.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Souplex said:
Someone...else...? But...but...its my world...mine ;n ;

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Saelune said:
Souplex said:
Someone...else...? But...but...its my world...mine ;n ;
It's not like the map is hidden information right? Just get the best doodler from your group to follow your doodle instructions.
Just have them do it in steps.
For example, here's the process of doodling my campaign's continent:
1. Draw a landmass.
2. Bisect the landmass with a mountain-range from the east coast to the west.
3. Continent north of the Fukov mountains (Named for the hero-king who united the Dwarves in ancient times, and also a pun because fuck-off you're not getting past this mountain-range) is all forests, meadows, swamps and other lush ecosystems. Elves, forest gnomes and the like live up there. South part of the continent is all deserts, rock flats, wastelands and the like. Humans, Halflings, and the like live down there.
4. To the south-east add a Hong Kong/Puerto Rico/New Zealand sized Island.
5. Add some details if you like. Inland streams, more islands of much lesser size, whatever.
There you go, an effective drawing of something you've never seen. Some of the details will be different, but once you make have your version stick with it and you'll be fine.

As for setting details:
Background: Millennia ago the continent of Dragor was ruled by evil Dragons. (Hence the name) Humanoids didn't appreciate this and rebelled. The Humanoids eventually won but at great cost' The war against creatures that spew fire, lightning, acid, poison, and cold from above destroyed the ecosystem of the south.

The south: The lack of natural resources has led to a politically unstable climate of constant war. Few nations last more than a year before they get taken over, coup'd or the like. A perfect ecosystem for adventurers.

That big island to the south-east: An Asian-themed empire from another continent (how you justify Ninjas, Samurai and the like) set up shop there about 50 years ago to serve as a trading post and eventually a beachhead for the invasion they were planning that got cancelled when on their home-continent the empire collapsed for vague reasons.

The Fukov mountains: Divided between 3 major dwarf clans the exemplify different sets of dwarf cliches cranked up to 11 along with minority communities of rock Gnomes and Stout Halflings. The Stone Clan: Your "Children of the earth(as in element, not planet) Dwarves". Stodgy traditionalists. The Iron Clan: Taking the Lawful Good aspect of Dwarves to its extreme they're basically communists. No concept of royalty or inheritance, everyone is raised by the state and assigned a role. Governed by a council of elected representatives from each of their mountains. The Gold Clan: Taking the "Greedy merchant lord Dwarves" to its logical extreme, their government is a crony-capitalist, kleptocracy where anyone with enough money can do as they please. They engage with lots of trade with the south from things like fine Dwarven weapons and ales to "Indentured servants".
None of the clans like each-other but they've agreed not to kill each-other.

My ASCII map of how the mountains are divvied among the clans:
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
sssssssssgggggggggggggggIIIIIII
SSSggggggggggggggggggggggIII

The north: I didn't really get to develop here much before my group fell apart, but I wanted to make the wood-elves violent psycho-hippies like this: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:A_Dance_in_Fire

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I habitually use MS Paint to make fantasy world maps for world building and D&D purposes and I feel I can get decent results. I think it takes practise though. Some general tips I have is:

-Recommended map size is generally around 3000x3000 at least. This varies depending on wherever you're drawing landscape or portrait obviously.

-Draw the islands, continents and landmasses in rough first using the thickest pencil setting, then zoom in and go back over your lines in greater detail to include coves, peninsulas and bays once you're happy with the general 'shape' of your landmasses.

-You can do mountains by carefully drawing a sample set of mountains, then copying and pasting the sample mountains were you want them to be. Then fill in the gaps and make the copy/pasting less obvious with some hand drawn mountains.

-Try to ensure your coastlines, mountains etc are a different colour or shade to the text you use on the map. I generally do coastlines in black first, then switch to grey so black text can overlap it and still be legible.

I've never really been able to find a way of bringing out geographical details such as deserts and forests in a way that looks acceptable on MS Paint however. Obviously if you're using paid software you're going to get much better results, but if you want to save your money that MS Paint will work out reasonably well for D&D mapping purposes.

That all said, I've signed up for the Inkarnate Beta so i'm curious to see what I can make with this! Inkarnate may be your best bet if you don't want to use MS Paint.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
I use Campaign Cartographer for most of my detail-oriented map making needs. It's a tad bit on the pricey side (45 USD), and it has a tiny bit of a learning curve, but has a bunch of different stylistic choices and looks quite a bit better than most stuff MS paint can do.

Heruca

Jul 9, 2015
Check out MapForge. It's battlemap creation software for Windows and Mac, and it's currently on Kickstarter (http://kck.st/2ldOJOn).

MapForge should appeal to GMs of face-to-face game sessions and to those using any VTT software, who want to create their own slick-looking battlemaps to visually enrich their RPG sessions (in any genre), but who find existing mapping programs (including image-editing tools such as Gimp and Photoshop) too intimidating/confusing/expensive.

Thanks to the unlocked Stretch Goals, there will be at least 9 free content Add-Ons for MapForge, covering various genres. The program will also offer a free level of use, so having a license won't be required to make maps with it. Did I mention the software will have the ability to generate random "dungeon" layouts via?Donjon?