March Mayhem 2011 Is Over, Mojang Wins!

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Sgt. Dante said:
I seriously, totally, cannot believe Mojang won, basically ruined my bracket xD.

Ah well, Congrats are in order, Well done Notch + co.
Hey,least you got a higher score than me,AND I FILLED OUT THAT MOJANG WOULD WIN!!!! But yeah clap clap clap for the indie underdog,next year we won't be so nice to you =P

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Oh I know! they should wait until next year before they release the full game, that way the will win again!

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
a developer with not one complete game should not have been in this contest, this is not a fanboy cry, this is a logical outcome.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
Okay, I'm sorry to say it but... this is idiotic.

Minecraft is great; its new, its arguably innovative, everyone seems to like it, and it is amazing that one guy was able to do that alone and be so successful.

But its just one game. Mojang, despite a great achievement, won because of a fad, because everyone jumped on the band wagon of praise.
awesome_ninja said:
/me blames fanboys *rolleyes*
and
Brad Shepard said:
a developer with not one complete game should not have been in this contest
Thank you.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I'd have liked to see Blizzard win, given the amount they did last year.
Not really a huge fan of minecraft, don't have the imagination or patience, and don't really think they deserved to win over all the other devs in the running.
Never mind, whats done is done. Well done Mojang.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Haters gonna hate, and I cackle with glee as they do.

March Mayhem isn't a competition based on merit - it never has been. The Escapist staff toils for MONTHS choosing the Game of The Year, based on the merits of the games nominated.

March Mayhem is an opportunity for you, the loyal readers, viewers, and fans of The Escapist to say (often very loudly) what you as a community think about the games we all enjoy. It's a developer showdown because there are so many games that come out every year, that choosing 64 of them would be a tireless chore beginning after last year's winner is decided. It's also an opportunity for said developers to get some free advertizing, by tweeting, myface journalblogging, and whatever other means they see fit to get people to vote for them. It's 100% the opposite of Game of the Year, so just relax.

In any case, I'm glad to see Mojang win. Their transparency with the development of Minecraft has been a refreshing look at how small devs CAN make big games.

Sprntr_Zomby

Jun 7, 2010
Meh, the only thing surprising is how many people voted for *that pile of sod that gave me the most boring hours of my life* Minecraft

teethofymir

Sep 5, 2009
What an utter load of tripe. A game developer whose only game is made of BLOCKS!!! Utterly freaking ridiculous.

UBERxL33T

Mar 29, 2011
Cheesebob said:
Bullshit. I cannot believe that pile of shit beat valve, quite possibly the best developer of 2000-2010. A developer who has done more for Pc Gaming than Mojang ever will.

Fucking hipsters.
It's funny you say that considering hipster is to describe a minority while Mojang infact won by majority.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
First its revealed that Dragon Age 2's sales are piss poor, and now this. I feel like I can trust the way the world works again.

Cranyx

Mar 6, 2011
A_who said:
I wonder if Notch knows about this contest?
Yes, he mentioned beating Valve in his blog, and announced winning the contest on Minecraft's facebook page.

serenityzero

Dec 24, 2008
As always happens in award ceremonies, people just like what's new. In a few years, people will forget all about Minecraft and Mojang, and will return to the companies with more than one game on their resume. Still, a wasted winner for this year nonetheless.

brinvixen

Mar 3, 2011
Slick Samurai said:
OK, that's it, I'm starting a new studio named Slamurai. We're releasing an alpha of a game called Super Slam-o-Rama Robot Monkeycraft that costs 25 dollars to download. It may not be a full game, but it has full Nintendo 64 graphics and you play as a monkey who farts out rainbow zombie crackheads. But the game is fully customizable in how many ways your monkey can fart out rainbow zombie crackheads. I plan on releasing the full game for 50 dollars sometime in 2026, where I hope to have upgraded to PS 1 graphics.

Can't wait to be in MM next year, maybe Slamurai can beat Nintendo and Valve too!
This made me laugh out loud. And for that, I thank you =)

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
I don't like Minecraft personally, though I can see why Mojang won... It's about recent achievements more than overall achievements I think, thats why its a yearly competition.

Anyway I wouldn't particularly care if my favorite developer won this since I'm just frankly glad that this MM bullshit is over for another year.

xqxm

Oct 17, 2008
I'm just gonna reiterate my previous statement.

Mojang - Best Developer of 2010