Marcus "Notch" Persson Turned Down a Job at Valve to Develop Minecraft

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Yea good call man.

I don't think I would want to spend my life making hats for Team fortress 2 either.
(honestly how has nobody made that reference yet)

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Notch has more dedication to his work than I can possibly imagine. I would probably drop what I was doing for a job at Valve.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
omega 616 said:
Strazdas said:
Except nobody is still going cocoo for coco poofs over psycho... However minecraft/notch is headline news every 5 fucking seconds minecraft coming to a new device, it's sold x amount etc.

Then there people watching it being streamed, gets millions of views on YouTube and so many "so and so built such a thing in minecraft" (you know like the enterprise). Don't forget about how great it is in schools!

I think seananners was the one to really get it huge, the the yogscast capitalized on the game... Notch just made it, very slowly by all accounts.

Speaking of which, is it finished yet or is it still just "mods or shit"
Psycho came out in 1960. Minecraft came out in 2009. That is 4 years ago. 4 Years after Psycho came out A LOT of people were going "Coo coo". In fact, a lot of people still do and talk about it constantly. It just didnt have youtube when it released. people STILL try to copy Psycho scenes. after 53 years. It still gets into headlines.

And minecraft being a computer lego does get a lot of "i built this" in it, of course. thats to be expected.
Technically its been finished for a while now. the rest is patching, which is same as patching, say, skyrim a year after its release. you can still add new things (you know, what patches used to do before they decided to make us pay for them) in patches. Mods are really what makes the game interesting though. but interesting is in the eye of the beholder.

sparafucil

Dec 5, 2013
Headsprouter said:
Well, thank god he didn't. We got a great, original game out of it, whereas if he did go work at Valve, we'd be exactly the same as we are today minus Minecraft. I guarantee that Valve would have put him to no original use whatsoever.
You really don't know how Valve operates very well, do you?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Headsprouter said:
Well, thank god he didn't. We got a great, original game out of it, whereas if he did go work at Valve, we'd be exactly the same as we are today minus Minecraft. I guarantee that Valve would have put him to no original use whatsoever.
Gonna have to disagree with that.

You want to know how Portal, and TF2 started?

They hired people who were working on personal projects before release, than continued those projects in Valve, and slapped the Valve brand name on release.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Headsprouter said:

They hired people who were working on personal projects before release, than continued those projects in Valve, and slapped the Valve brand name on release.
What you have just said is only partially true. Individual project you were talking about was Narbacular Drop. Valve became interested in the concept of portals and hired those students to work on a new game which was Portal. But many Valve employees also worked on the project. It was not as simple as slapping their name on it you see you see.

I also think that you are confusing TF2 with TFC which was a port of the quake mod. TF2 was entirely developed by Valve employees some of whom were also the makers off the original mod in the timespan of 8 years.

But yeah you are right. Valve gave them the opportunity of developing their ideas even further. But It wasn't a simple exchange of money and software

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
sparafucil said:
You really don't know how Valve operates very well, do you?
You like to make snarky comments and not justify them, don't you?

Dragonbums said:

Thankfully we have a bit of justification right here. And I read the guy who quoted this guy, so I'm all straightened out. Either way, I'm still happy Notch turned 'em down, but one may be a petty reason. Valve fanboys need less reasons to be fanboys, and I think Notch's indie success has proved to be quite inspirational to many would-be indie developers.

Mind you, don't take me as a hater. I just don't like their snail-like habits. Another reason to be happy, in fact: I don't think we'd have Minecraft as of now if he joined Valve. Sure, it would be on the horizon, but even that isn't guaranteed.