Marines posed with Nazi SS symbol in Afghanistan

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Mycroft Holmes said:
Elemantary - Dear Watson said:
and without knowing it, built into a fighting and killing machine...
I know, it's like so out of the blue; the army trains people to kill? Jeez government, not everyone is Nostradamus, they really should educate people better about what exactly this 'military' organization does.
And again.. taken out of context...

Not literally out of the blue, you moron...
You obviously don't understand what it is like, going through the training, and knowing that you are now a soldier... You don't notice the change until after training, how it effects the way you think and act...
When you have done it, and are at the same level of understanding as us, then your point could be valid, but until then nothing you say or do effects any of what we do. Being trained as a killer isn't the same as being trained to write an essay, or do some equations, it has a lot more serious effects on the mind. It takes a lot of mental preparation to be ready for a situation where you may have to kill someone, so show some fucking respect to the lads and ladies who have gone through that, and are going through that to protect your interests... You never know if the day is coming where they will be saving your life from a much closer to home threat...

And from a fellow Sherlock Holmes fan... tut tut...!

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
I hate the military and the little peasants who go fighting wars more than anyone, but isn't that the Sniper Scout logo - one they have been using for years? I don't know, but desecrating the bodies of fallen opponents seems far worse than putting up an ambiguous sign.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Disclaimer: I don't spell/grammar check and everything I do is a first draft.

Mycroft Holmes said:
and without knowing it, built into a fighting and killing machine...
I know, it's like so out of the blue; the army trains people to kill? Jeez government, not everyone is Nostradamus, they really should educate people better about what exactly this 'military' organization does.
And again.. taken out of context...
Again?

And how was it taken out of context? How could anyone join the military and not realize that they are going to try to craft you into a more effective killing machine psychologically and physically? You would have to be pretty dumb to not figure that one out.

You obviously don't understand what it is like, going through the training, and knowing that you are now a soldier... You don't notice the change until after training, how it effects the way you think and act...
Though you happen to be true with your assertion I've never been combat trained, that's a pretty big leap to go from "guy sarcastically/insultingly says of course the military teaches people how to kill." Assume much?

I know quite a bit about it from other sources, several friends in the military(Including one who now works for the Xe/Academi/Blackwater PMC), both my grandfathers were combat pilots. Pilots of course don't really apply psychologically in the same way as when shooting another plane down a mile away is considered close, so you never really see them. I do plan on reading Dave Grossman's On Killing at some point; though I haven't had a chance to actually read it yet I'm quite familiar with it's thesis. Understanding the dynamics of violence and how they effect people is actually one of my biggest specialties, and I make it a habit to watch most everything about it from The Hurt Locker, to Restrepo, to the various documentaries from VBS tv; as well as reading lots of books on the subject.

Everything effects how you think and act. Absolutely everything you will ever do. Some things change it more than others and some things can change it in dangerous ways. Which is why one should never rush into such things. There's a terrible change in the way one views other human life that occurs with most people who go through it. But there's also a sense that one is helping that you're out there doing good. That feeling of purpose and place, that you know exactly what you're doing every day. There's also the higher stakes that makes life all the brighter and more intense but it makes so many other things seem dull and unimportant by comparison. That combat level height of intensity that comes crashing down as their bodies try to recover. When they become estranged from their spouses because everything seems strange to them now back home, when they stand in that store aisle looking at the hundreds of brands of cereal completely overwhelmed by the experience and completely uncaring about it because life on this lesser level is like white noise.

But that sense of purpose that sense of helping don't have to come at the price of the so often perverted sense for the value of human life. Read The Moral Equivalent of War by William James.

When you have done it, and are at the same level of understanding as us, then your point could be valid, but until then nothing you say or do effects any of what we do.
Several Things:

1) Again assumption that I haven't done so, based off absolutely nothing. Don't 'argue' against an imaginary person. Argue against me.

2) My point is that before making a major life decision like planning on killing people professionally one should probably take a few seconds to realize that the military is very obviously going to try to turn them into a killing machine. And its going to irrevocably change who they are on a foundational level.

3) I will never join any military force for a great many reasons. Despite any intentions they may or may not have, the US military is not a force of good on any level. They have been thrown into a metaphorical meat grinder over and over for the past 40-50 years for the benefit of corporate America and a few politicians.

4) Everything I say effects anyone who reads it, you included. It can push you further from my opinion or closer to it. It can teach you about psychology of people in general, about the psychology of people on the internet, a new word, a new understanding of argumentation. To pretend like you aren't effected by the world around you is ridiculous.

5) How does personal experience give one an exclusive right to comment on an issue? Is 95% of the US population not allowed to have an opinion on the Iraq war because we have never been there? Am I not allowed to say that black people have the right to vote, because I'm not black and therefore I can't comment on their issues? Or is your point that I can't comment on this issue because you disagree with my imagined opinion? Because I'm pretty sure that's a big logical fallacy. People talk about subjects without first hand experience all the time and "you don't know what it's like man, you haven't seen what I've seen" is not an acceptable debate technique unless the debate is frivolous and not logic-based(Eg. presidential debates.)

Being trained as a killer isn't the same as being trained to write an essay, or do some equations, it has a lot more serious effects on the mind. It takes a lot of mental preparation to be ready for a situation where you may have to kill someone
Wow, you really got me on those points I never said that you just inferred out of nowhere?

so show some fucking respect to the lads and ladies who have gone through that
I give respect where it is due. If someone does not realize, on some level, that they are going to be psychologically conditioned to kill people when they join the army; then they are pretty dumb. I feel sorry for anyone affected certainly, but respect is something different. A victim does not instantly garner respect simply for being a victim, I respect people for who they are beyond or in spite of being victims(in this case of essentially legal psychological abuse.)

and are going through that to protect your interests
The US military has absolutely never supported a single one of my interests. I have no interest in policing the world. I have no interest in decimating the economies of small nations and forcing them to lower tariffs to turn them into dependent states for the economic benefit of American corporations. I have no interest in starting street battles in foreign countries where we kill innocent men, women and children for vague reasons that are the ideological equivalent of Philip K Dicks scramble suit. I have no interest in having the rest of the world hate us because of all the innocent people we kill, and because we foist our own ideals on everyone like its impossible to have a separate viewpoint than that of the US government. I have no interest in the deaths, the maiming, the psychological problems of America's youth; America's poor. I have no interest in a ballooning deficit as we spend an ever increasing budget on the Military Industrial Complex. I have no interest in all the political ruination, the political corruption that comes with that MIC.

And no I don't have any interest in killing foreign invaders nor do I have any interest in having stopped Adolf Hitler. Both can be(could have been) stopped with a millionth of the deaths caused through proper application and training in nonviolence. The state however will never effect any such training because it removes their power, and the politicians aren't there to protect the interests of the people, they are there to power trip and play like satraps for as long as they can with as much power as they can gather.

You never know if the day is coming where they will be saving your life from a much closer to home threat
If a threat comes to the US they will not be saving my life, they will be putting it in danger.

And from a fellow Sherlock Holmes fan... tut tut...!
Actually my name is the super-computer from The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein, I've only recently(last few months) started reading Sherlock Holmes while I've used this name for nearly 5 years.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
...What?...Okay, yes, I recognize the SS symbol, and yes, its probably not on purpose. But I do know the media attention is going to result in a lot of people giving a bad reputation to the rest of the brave men and women of our US Marine Corps.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Mycroft Holmes said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Well, if they were photographed holding something as tenuously linked to the SS as your examples then there would be very little dispute, unfortunately (and as was pointed out in the first page I might add)
If anyone places a star next to a crescent moon I flip out because Jihadists use that symbol and they done did 9/11. It disgusts me how astronomers ever portray them next to each other, I think we should censor star charts. And if a child makes a drawing with a star next to a crescent moon he should be berated for being pro the murder of 3000 innocent people.

I'm going to take over a country and start a genocide. My flag will have a big letter A emblazoned on it so that you guys have to reinvent the entire alphabet.
Thanks for completely ignoring the point I was making to continue creating logical fallacies that do not properly reflect the actual issue here.

The flag wasn't just aesthetically similar to an SS flag. IT WAS AN ACTUAL SS REPLICA FLAG! That is the problem. Meaning a better application of your strawman would be if they proudly posed beside an actual Jihadist's flag, which, as you must agree, would also be a massive PR disaster and a really stupid thing to do.

That's the issue. That, whether they knew it or not, they took a picture of US army troops proudly gathered around a flag of the military personnel responsible for one of the greatest, and most well known genocidal atrocities in living memory. A group that is universally demonised and condemned. It is really not something they should be affiliating themselves with.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Mycroft Holmes said:
If anyone places a star next to a crescent moon I flip out because Jihadists use that symbol and they done did 9/11.
No they don't.

Jihadists most commonly use the shahada written on a black or white flag, often embellished with swords or a circle in another colour (for example yellow, in the case of Al-Qaeda in Iraq).

The crescent is originally the symbol of the Sassanid Empire, who were not even Muslims. It's been slowly adopted by Muslims since and became an official symbol under the Ottomans, who established their head of state as the Sunni Caliph and thus made their national symbol, the crescent and star, an official symbol of Islam.

The earliest "Jihadist" groups actually arose from Nationalist groups who direct opposed the Ottomans, particularly in places like Egypt. They know damn well where the crescent symbol comes from, and thus they don't use it.

And you're not comparing like with like at all. The shahada is the most important prayer in Islam, it appears quite legitimately on the flag of Saudi Arabia (which is green). The sig rune is an occult symbol only loosely based on a much older runic script which was just made up by German racists in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

There's absolutely no excuse or reason to use it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
BaronIveagh said:
wintercoat said:
You are either very naive, or have never been taught about the past several thousand years of history. The Nazis are hardly a unique case, and it could be argued that they aren't even the worst case. Human history is nothing if not bloody and depressing.
Um, I wasn't talking about Nazis, I was talking about the US Army. My point was that the Nazis didn't invent anything, they just copied stuff the US Army had already done and added the occasional technological update to it.

And yet the Nazis are reviled, but the US army is a shining beacon of goodness.
Then you are even more naive than I thought you were if you think the U.S., a 200 year old country, invented any of that.

tipp6353

Oct 7, 2009
The media is full of shit here, this symbol has been used to identify Marine Scout Snipers for a little over half of a century...they apparently did no research

TheTurtleMan

Mar 2, 2010
Eh, whatever, so long as the military understands what's wrong with this then I'm okay with them either being that stupid or more probably lying about it to cover their asses. It would be way more messed up if they try to defend themselves in support of the SS

It's not like they were going actually going around murdering jews and gypsies, it's just a flag. It's the same reason that I could give a shit whether a US flag is set on fire or trampled, it's just a piece of fabric that represents something. No one got hurt from this, end of story.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
Pimppeter2 said:
Looks more like the Kiss logo to me...!

And they didn't say they thought it meant that... they said their SS meant sniper scout... Sounds like you have right and truely jumpend on the media over exaggeration already...!
Oh, and my sticking my middle finger at them does not mean I'm saying Fuck you. No no no.

No, to me it means "Good job boys". Yeah, that's it...
It's all about interpretation.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
The flag wasn't just aesthetically similar to an SS flag. IT WAS AN ACTUAL SS REPLICA FLAG! That is the problem.
Which is why I also don't support museums, because they are secretly fronts for Neo-Nazi organizations. Did you know they own actual Nazi Flags?

Meaning a better application of your strawman would be if they proudly posed beside an actual Jihadist's flag, which, as you must agree, would also be a massive PR disaster and a really stupid thing to do.
My straw man? I simply stated things I do and feel, did you think it was a commentary on your opinion? Because that sounds like a personal problem, I certainly never mentioned you by name.

evilthecat said:
Jihadists most commonly use the shahada written on a black or white flag, often embellished with swords or a circle in another colour (for example yellow, in the case of Al-Qaeda in Iraq).

And you're not comparing like with like at all. The shahada is the most important prayer in Islam, it appears quite legitimately on the flag of Saudi Arabia (which is green).
Oh so the color of the original one matters? Then what is the problem exactly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Flag_Schutzstaffel.svg

Wikipedia and google image search seems to agree that the actual flag is black and white, while the only case of the flag being blue is some random dudes internet store. So it was all just a miss understanding bro, because the Scout Sniper flag is the wrong color.

evilthecat said:
The crescent is originally the symbol of the Sassanid Empire, who were not even Muslims. It's been slowly adopted by Muslims since and became an official symbol under the Ottomans, who established their head of state as the Sunni Caliph and thus made their national symbol, the crescent and star, an official symbol of Islam.
So what you're saying is that you don't give a shit about Armenians, because they aren't Jewish? That's pretty insensitive of you to ignore a genocide brought about under an authority that used that flag.

There's absolutely no excuse or reason to use it.
Challenge accepted!

Ok ok, what if a group of Jihadists placed a bomb in New York City then contacted the US Military and said , hey our only demand is that we want a dozen or so dudes to pose in front of a replica SS flag or we will detonate the bomb killing some 1.7 million people. Is there still NO REASON to do it?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Mycroft Holmes said:
Meaning a better application of your strawman would be if they proudly posed beside an actual Jihadist's flag, which, as you must agree, would also be a massive PR disaster and a really stupid thing to do.
My straw man? I simply stated things I do and feel, did you think it was a commentary on your opinion? Because that sounds like a personal problem, I certainly never mentioned you by name.
Mentioned me by name? You quoted me and gave a response, so yes, that is a commentary on my opinion.

Mycroft Holmes said:
The flag wasn't just aesthetically similar to an SS flag. IT WAS AN ACTUAL SS REPLICA FLAG! That is the problem.
Which is why I also don't support museums, because they are secretly fronts for Neo-Nazi organizations. Did you know they own actual Nazi Flags?
Yeah. Now you're just flat out trolling.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Yeah. Now you're just flat out trolling.
So you have no problems with Turkey, or Tunisia or Algeria using the symbol of a genocidal power as their national flags because the media hasn't told you to do so yet, right?