Marriage Proposals in Public - Dick Move or Romantic?

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
If film is anything to go by, the most romantic thing you can do for someone you love is to propose to said person IN PUBLIC, preferably five minutes before the credits roll so everybody ends the movie with a happy ending. You can do this before the title credits as well (You know, back when film used to do that), and highlight the failure or success of said marriage throughout the picture.

But, film isn't like real life, in most cases, so we do the same thing in television, right? What about books, or songs, or of the rare examples in video games? What about online? Proposing online to someone you love, or on a jumbotron during a sporting event?

I guess I should explain where I'm coming from on all of this. I ended up watching Indie Game: The Movie the other day (It's a very good documentary, watch it if you haven't, its on Netflix Instant as of this writing), and without spoiling too much of the documentary (It's not super-spoilerific, really), during the movie, Edmund McMillen (Co-Creator of Super Meat Boy), had, during a video game awards show, proposed to his girlfriend, whom he is married to, if Wikipedia is anything to trust.

Now, I'm a romantic at heart (Who isn't?), but the idea of proposing to someone you love in public... Doesn't seem all that romantic to me, really. In fact, by my rationale, it seems particularly kind of a dick move, when you think about it.

You are putting someone on the spot for a possibly life-altering choice, during which the said partners now have all eyes on them, and everything they do in five seconds to 5 minutes during said moment, everybody will be watching to say things that should seem romantic (Aww, that's so cute/I'm so happy for them/ETC), but really, doesn't that seem kind of rude?

If someone doesn't like you, guess what? Now, you have to stare down all those eyes and either admit the truth, where at worst case scenario, everybody villifies you for even considering marriage, and the person who said "no" is treated as Satan-Hitler Omega V.4 for "Embarrassing that person in public like that", and don't tell me that hasn't happened before.

And if you want to save face, you now must marry someone who you aren't sure of/Don't love/Don't know enough to marry/ETC in front of everybody to avoid the previously mentioned villification that might be hurled your way.

I'm not bitter as I write this (Far from it, I'm actually quite happy), It's just a thought I've had for a little while, and I can't seem to understand why people might do it, considering that while it is a big deal to make a step such as marriage, why would you choose to do it in a place where your soul might be crushed in just a big a step as it would be if they say "yes"?

Perhaps it says a lot about me by typing this up, but it's something that seems rather unfair to all the people involved. If you love someone, why make it publically displayed? Now, as I read this, I'm not condemning Mr. McMillen for having done so (From watching the documentary, he and his wife seem incredibly happy, and who am I to judge, being single and not a famous video game maker), and I'm not saying that all people who do this are anything, I just have to wonder why, and I'd like to ask everybody else here, married Escapists/Single Escapists, What do you think about public marriage proposals? Bad idea, good idea, ambivalent?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Been with my girlfriend a little over a year and nowhere near marriage but I don't think I want to do it in public if it ever gets to that point.

I understand the meaning behind doing it publicly but I have enough social anxiety just walking in public minding my own business so this would be a damn train wreck for me.

edit: Never answered your question. Uh dick move I guess? It does kind of put them on the spot so they're most likely to say yes. Either way, why subject yourself to that?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
In my opinion, it's a dick move.
I do know of people who were proposed to in public, said yes and then later said no because they felt they couldn't have said no at the time.

I think it's not a spectator sport.

Then again I might be a minority because I think `proposing` is in generally pretty unromantic.
"Decide if you want to spend the rest of your life with me in the next 10 seconds!!"

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I've always known 'the proposal' to just the official declaration, and you knew she was going to say yes because before it there would be a lot of discussion about marriage between the two, so the guy would know the girl was ready, wanted to marry him, maybe they'd even go to choose the ring together, and the girl would kinda know it's coming, but not when exactly.

Instead of the guy taking it solely upon himself to arrange a huge proposal event without one clue whether his girlfriend was ready or willing.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, it seems like a terrible idea. I would never want that. Although most things that are considered "romantic" just seem to me like wanky, awkward pretentiousness, often steeped in archaic gender roles. I would never date a romantic guy.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
The fact that it may add more pressure to say yes makes it a bit of a dick move. Slightly off topic but this thread just reminded me of an episode of Rules of Engagement where Adam keeps proposing to Jen in public to get free stuff.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
It depends. If the guy knows that she is ready to marry him, if it seems the right time and if he is very confident she will say yes, then it can be romantic. It's hard to decide whether it's one or the other, because the guy could get turned down and then he is left there with a bunch of randoms. Also it would be a bunch of randoms there putting pressure on the girl to say yes.

While a part of me would love to be proposed to after a lovely dinner on a boat, I would rather be proposed to somewhere private, I don't like people staring at me and I wouldn't know how to deal with such a thing in public as it's an important decision to make. If my boyfriend were to do it publicly I would prefer to know in advance really that he intends to propose.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
I believe it depends.

The way I see it, if both know marriage is on the horizon and woman is just waiting for the proposal, this type of stunt could be a pleasant surprise.

Now if it's not certain marriage is on the horizon, it can be a dick move. Because yeah, putting someone on the spot.

Saw this book that showed this type of deal. Guy proposes to a girl in a restaurant. Less for her sake than for his, the girl says Yes to save his face. Later, she tells him no and all that. Explains why and how she's not ready for marriage and he was assuming too much when they hadn't been dating for too long.

Wasn't a pretty picture.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
as long as the instigator isn't doing anything preemptive. in theory, it's coercion, so it's a dick move. but in practice, it's likely the two people have a mutual understanding of their future together, and it's just a fancy method of delivering inevitability. in the event that the instigator is so inept as to think it's a good idea to propose in such a fashion -without- an assured result, then.. well... they're stupid.

KattieChampagne

Sep 24, 2012
Gah, a public proposal just sounds awful. On top of being embarrassing (for me at least) there is so much pressure to say yes, even if you're gonna turn them down later. If marriage had been discussed, then it wouldn't be a big deal, but otherwise a total dick move.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011

Answers will vary from people to people. If there is a single doubt in the marriage. Yeah.. dick move. If two people are truly in love and marriage is the next step, meh.

If I'm the outsider looking in, I'd say its a dick move more than it is romantic. Public marriage proposals are overdone that I feel no romance from it anymore.

And from videos it seem like relationship impaired by public proposal are harder to restore.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
Proposals in general are a dick move. As is the entire notion of marriage. "We've spent 4 years together! Clearly we should spend the rest of our lives together because people don't change at all!"

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
I have no problem with it either way, but I was to ever propose I know that I personally wouldn't want to share a moment like that with strangers. I would much rather share that with friends and family.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It's only romantic if it's HUGE. I'm talking orchestra in the background, fireworks, while at her favorite restaurant on the MOON.

Arpeggi

Sep 17, 2012
I'm split on this. I agree that it could be potentially put the person being proposed to in a bit of strife (should they want to decline), but god-damn, if seeing a public marriage proposal isn't shiver down the spine stuff, then I don't know what is. Personally, I'm quite a private person, so I think I'd do a private proposal. But, if your're 99.99 percent sure they are going to accept, then I guess it's okay. As I said though, I'm split between the heart-bleeding romantic and the realist.

Off-topic: Would you guys/girls go down on your knees to propose? Or would you go for a slightly more casual route?

Arpeggi

Sep 17, 2012
EHKOS said:
It's only romantic if it's HUGE. I'm talking orchestra in the background, fireworks, while at her favorite restaurant on the MOON.
Oh, and I'm totally with this guy. If you're gonna do it public, you gotta fuckin' DO IT.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
EHKOS said:
It's only romantic if it's HUGE. I'm talking orchestra in the background, fireworks, while at her favourite restaurant on the MOON.
I have not even got the girl yet :/