Mars Colonization Mission Now Taking Applications

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
RJ Dalton said:
They're making a media spectacle of it.

. . .

Does anyone else get the idea that this might just be intended to get rid of the sort of people who'd do anything to get on TV?
Code:
B-Ark reporting in.
When can we depart?
On topic: this sounds like EVERYTHING will go wrong. I'm kinda torn between "can't wait to see some idiots die" and "yeah we shouldn't do it for these reasons in the first place, let's stay a bit more sane"

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Why is everyone so down beat on this? I mean Jesus they don't call it the final frontier for nothing.

And I have NO IDEA how any of you lot get the idea that it's going to be Paris Hilton in space for fucks sake.

The fact is that the ONLY people who are going up are going to be screened and vetted to the point of ridiculousness to make sure they can take all the shit they'll have to.

If you genuinely think that the people going up are chosen for ratings and not for their ability to handle the physical and emotional stresses then you're too cynical to be worth bothering to talk to.

This is the next step on the path to the stars. The first human colony not of our home PLANET, an incredible scientific and a monumental human achievement - and so many people I've talked to are so cynical and small minded about it its fucking unbelievable.

Only time will tell if I'm right but this has, as far as I'm concerned, the hallmarks of one of the truly great markers of human history.

The beginnings of a human colony ON ANOTHER PLANET. Think about that for a while. Think about what it really means to the future of humanity as a species. Big picture time ladies and gentlemen. Seriously big picture time.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I don't have a life, I'd be fine going right now.

I'm losing my job in June, and haven't had a date in over 9 years so I can go without women. The only real question is what's interplanetary bandwidth like, and can those missions every two years bring new top spec parts for my gaming PC... also can Amazon fire orders my out of a huge cannon?

Hmmm 2022 eh, I'll be... carry the one... o.0 36! ya no thanks, if I don't have a life by then I'd rather just kill myself.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Nah sounds too much like the movie Oblivion and that movie was boring as shit. And it was only 3 hours long. I think I'll stick to earth. I here they don't have broadband on Mars.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I'm all for this, partially because I'm hoping they'll discover Prothean archives. Pleaaase discover Prothean archives. Because then sexy blue space women are not far behind!

OT- This seems ambitious, but something a lot of people forget are the secondary and tertiary scientific benefits to a project like this, even if it doesn't accomplish many things in and of itself. Thousands of technologies we use today were developed by NASA originally for use with the space program. Faced with the challenge of setting up a permanent colony on another world, who knows what amazing innovations these guys could come up with. In my mind, someone is going to try this eventually, and eventually, someone will succeed, so why not these guys?

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I'd go in a heartbeat, no joke. Too bad I'm too tall, too fat and my eyesight isn't good enough. =(

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
hotdogoctopus said:
38 USD to apply? I dunno man. Seems a little 'scam-ish' for the "Interplanetary Media Group" a company which would traditionally rely on investors to need me to pay a fee to have my application thrown through the sifter...
$30 is enough that those who would sign up for shits and giggles and waste everyones time would be put off. Even now they have 5000,000 applications to go through so prank applications would not be appreciated. Also, how would they get away with it if it were a scam, this has been advertised internationally!

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I worked in Antarctica for a long time in a similar circumstance but apparently I don't qualify because I have to take pills every day. Nevermind that the amount of pills I'd need for the mission would collectively weigh less than a pencil, take up little space, and go bad only after twenty years. SEEMS LIKE A STUPID RESTRICTION TO ME. But w/e I don't need them. I'll go to Mars myself. I have a bike, how hard can it be?

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
Mr_Spanky said:
Why is everyone so down beat on this? I mean Jesus they don't call it the final frontier for nothing.

And I have NO IDEA how any of you lot get the idea that it's going to be Paris Hilton in space for fucks sake.

The fact is that the ONLY people who are going up are going to be screened and vetted to the point of ridiculousness to make sure they can take all the shit they'll have to.

If you genuinely think that the people going up are chosen for ratings and not for their ability to handle the physical and emotional stresses then you're too cynical to be worth bothering to talk to.

This is the next step on the path to the stars. The first human colony not of our home PLANET, an incredible scientific and a monumental human achievement - and so many people I've talked to are so cynical and small minded about it its fucking unbelievable.

Only time will tell if I'm right but this has, as far as I'm concerned, the hallmarks of one of the truly great markers of human history.

The beginnings of a human colony ON ANOTHER PLANET. Think about that for a while. Think about what it really means to the future of humanity as a species. Big picture time ladies and gentlemen. Seriously big picture time.
Never thought I'd say these words, but thank you Mr. Spanky.

Everyone else is being cynical for the sake of cynicism, without putting any rational thought behind it.
I thought gamers were supposed to be adventurous, yet you all seem to claim it would be boring or stupid.
For shame.

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
Mr_Spanky said:

Jesus christ, I was waiting for someone to say these words. I am so bloody sick of the cynicism in this thread. I for one think it would be well worth all the risks, just to be one of the first people on Mars.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Mr_Spanky said:

This has the potential to be a complete disaster. However, if we sit around "waiting" until we perfect the technology, like NASA and others want to do, then we'll be sitting around a long fucking time. Complacency kills advancement, which is why we don't have those exotic engines everyone and their brother has "theorized", but never put to the actual testing because. Funding.

If we can pull this off it might actually jump start the desire to research more advancement, sooner, rather than later.

Apr 5, 2008
Question: Will there be Internet access available and a gaming PC with Steam? If yes, I could well be the right man for the job. Better if I could be in a group with 3 fertile women.

Oct 2, 2012
You Can said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
I'm too tall :(
Me too. Goddamn my height, living on a dead, desolate, cold, miserable planet is something I could see myself doing otherwise... Now I'm sad.
Lets be tall and sad together. Our tears can be like rain to the fortunate tiny people that can go.

Dec 15, 2009
Beffudled Sheep said:
You Can said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
Me too. Goddamn my height, living on a dead, desolate, cold, miserable planet is something I could see myself doing otherwise... Now I'm sad.
Lets be tall and sad together. Our tears can be like rain to the fortunate tiny people that can go.
Alright, as they say "Tall misery loves tall company." We should also sneak aboard the ship before it launches and put all the really good provisions, like cookies, up on high shelves. That will show those hightists!

Oct 2, 2012
You Can said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
You Can said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
Alright, as they say "Tall misery loves tall company." We should also sneak aboard the ship before it launches and put all the really good provisions, like cookies, up on high shelves. That will show those hightists!
Yeah! We should also take all the step ladders too! We don't want them pretending to be our height now do we?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nurb said:

"stuffing people into a small space for an extended period of time on another planet... You'll love it!"
-Mars One, Subsidiary of Vault Tec, who in no way has a secret experiment in mind

Man, you'll be spending at least 10-15 years up there before you can get a vehicle to give you a return trip, and mars isn't all that super-fun on the surface.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this picture. Move along.

OT: This is awesome and I'm glad to be able to see it in my lifetime.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
This is a recipe for disaster. Hilarious, scientifically invaluable disaster.

Who knows what kind of crazy stuff will be happening 5, 10 years in? They'll be totally isolated, meaning once the crazy starts, no one can come in from the outside to calm things down. What happens when there's disagreement/crime? People will shout 'there is no crime on Mars, because Mars has no laws!', and you could get anything from makeshift courtrooms to the basis for a decent slasher film. The sheer volume of crazy that could potentially go down is mind-boggling - and sociologically invaluable. And the best part is, if nothing goes wrong and they create some sort of productive, self-sustaining society in the Martian wastes, then that's going to be even more scientifically interesting.

This should happen, for science. Just don't put me on it, I've got too much of Earth left to see.