Mars Colonization Mission Now Taking Applications

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Smiley Face said:
What happens when there's disagreement/crime?
"someone stole my red dirt!"

In all serious though, they're going to be pretty heavily screened and trained against 'the crazies.' I know there's still a chance, but there always will be, even in 50-100 years. There's a long term need for humanity to reach Mars, eventually, and we need to take that giant leap at some point; even with 'the crazies' risk. So why not now?

Personally, I think this is an incredible idea and will be the biggest achievement of mankind. I couldn't do it, as much as I would like to think I could. Sure, seeing space/Mars would be incredible, but only for a while until it gets boring. I take my hat off to all those who do get chosen!

One thought though, We're basically going to be colonising by extensive incest. Come 2070 everyone up there will be someone else's mother/father/aunt/uncle/brother/sister et al

Jun 23, 2008
There is a shitstorm of problems that will kill anyone we try to send to Mars, and NASA continues to study them all in efforts to land and return a team, do a few experiments, bring home some Mars rocks and then eventually start a colony.

One of the problems (for example) is coronal mass ejections (solar flares) which happen with some frequency. Our moon shots we could schedule when solar weather indicated it wouldn't be a problem, but even then there were a couple of missions that got back just under the wire when the sun was feeling tempermental.

A trip to the moon is a week-long thing. A trip to Mars is 9 months one way. You can almost guarantee the Sun's going to shoot its wad during that time. Multiple times, probably.

Here on Earth, we're protected by the magnetic field which turns the mass that hits earth into the aurora borealis. Without that field, one needs the equivalent of eleven feet of concrete in order to not get baked to a tasty golden brown.

And that's one problem out of hundreds.

238U

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
S-Sign me up, please!

*Unlikely to kill each other*

Oh...well that would depend on who the other 4 were.

But seriously, did I miss the part where NASA looked into this and found a viable way for humans to live on Mars? Or is this just a blind hope sort of thing?

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
There's too much on Earth I want to do, but if this actually happens, then I wish best of luck to the colonists.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
One thing many people seem to forget about a trip to Mars is that communication with Earth is still completely doable. Mars is only an average of twenty light-minutes away from Earth (one way), so daily or even hourly messages with the home planet would be nearly guaranteed.

Given that a decent laptop requires very little energy to run, solar panels could power all of the reading you could ever need during the trip there, too, in addition to movies and video games.

Fuck, I'd do it, if there wasn't the medication requirement. I'd gladly throw my life away to be one of the first people on the surface of our first colonized planet, for science!

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
Misterian said:
Wait, we're not gonna colonize the Moon? we're just gonna skip it to get for Mars?

Bit of a shame, I'd think colonizing the moon might be easier, it's a shorter distance and with the right science in mind, I'm pretty sure we could make it inhabitable.

On the other hand, there IS still alot less gravity on Mars than on Earth, right?

At least you could jump around to get across long distances, and if you can somehow make that planet inhabitable at least to turtles and you could almost pretend you're in the Mushroom Kingdom's Desert World!
Because there is nothing on the moon worth going for. Not even an atmosphere. Heck the best thing we can use the moon for is if humanity successfully wipes itself out. We can send survivors up there to carve a legacy of our race into the rock so that any aliens that stumble upon our dead world will know it was once a world filled with life. They will know because someone drew a giant penis on the moon.

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
If it weren't for my heart trouble (not sure I'll still be ALIVE in 8 years), I'd sign up for this in a split-second. That's pretty much the ONLY problem there would be. There's already not much to keep me tied to this planet anyway.

Captcha: pea brain

Really, Escapist? No need to resort to name-calling. :)

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm mostly interested in the idea of someone being BORN on mars and how they would psychologically deal with the idea that they are from another planet that they will likely never see again.

But at the same time the idea of bringing that person BACK to Earth would be the sign of true colonization of Mars.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I would totally apply, but, umm, yeah, I'm not qualified to even start any kind of training, and I'm not in the best shape physically right now, I am however resilient, adaptable, creative, easy to get along with, and capable of spending years doing almost nothing other than thinking about things, imagining the possibilities, meditating, learning, writing...
Also I mean, what do I have to live for here? Nothing, my family is better off without me, which is why I moved away from them in the first place, I'm pretty well incapable of competing in this world as it stands, and I feel no sense of purpose or drive for anything.

But I'll leave this one to others, I'm sure we'll be doing other space stuff soon if this takes off, and I may get a chance then, who knows...