Marshall of the Legion

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
Marshall of the Legion

MovieBob reviews the werewolves and cannibals that brought director Neil Marshall to the Centurions of the Ninth Legion.

Read Full Article
 

RTR

New member
Mar 22, 2008
1,351
0
0
I Was kinda expecting a sort of response to all the heat Bob got for his review of The Expendables. That would've been fun. I already had a title in my mind, something like "counter-Attack" or "Returning Fire", in which Bob compares other action movies, and compares them to The Expendables to better show off its shortcomings. Anyway, this is still a good read.
 

sephiroth1991

New member
Dec 3, 2009
2,319
0
0
I have seen Decent(It was good) started watching Dog soldiers(Fell asleep but was ok from what i saw) and have yet to see doomsday.

Good read non-the-less
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
2,419
0
0
I think I fall on the other side of the fence of Bob on this one. For one, Dog Soldiers fell into my "it's another Saturday SciFi filler movie," The Descent felt like a mishmash of The Hills Have Eyes and The Cave, and Doomsday was downright dreadful.

Kudos to the guy for funding his wife's project though.
 

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
14,275
15
43
Doomsday is probably my favourite movie of all time, with it only maybe being edged out by Inception.

I just bought the Descent, and am looking forward to watching it.

Haven't seen Dog Soldiers yet, but when I find it, I will buy it.

Glad to hear that you liked Doomsday Bob.

I will likely go check out Marshall's new film ASAP now.
 

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
4,252
0
0
Dog Soldiers was a great flick, first time I watched it was before we went out on an weekend excercise in the army. It fit really well, I also think the NCO's were trying to shit a few of us up with it too.
 

ccesarano

New member
Oct 3, 2007
523
0
0
Maybe this is one of those situations of different taste. For one, I found Doomsday to be so forgettable that I can't even recall the big twist of the second tribe. It's a mish-mash of imagery in my head.

However, if I were going to see a bad movie, I'd prefer a bad action film over a bad horror film. I guess I just don't have as much a taste for gore porn, though, and could care less about nude scenes since I have the Internet, even if they are in 3-D. I found The Expendables fun enough, just disappointing in the same manner Aliens vs. Predator was disappointing. I enjoyed the action, but in the end it was bogged down with too much shit I didn't care about that what I really wanted didn't get the necessary screen time.

Centurion does seem interesting, though. Up my alley, in fact.
 

MB202

New member
Sep 14, 2008
1,157
0
0
Alright, Centurion definitely looks cool, I'll check it out after I see Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

But before I do, I know you said your movie reviews are planned out months in advance, but surely you can at least write an article address the REAL complaints of The Expendables. You know, to keep yourself from looking like a complete douche.
 

ckeymel

New member
Jun 24, 2008
234
0
0
I, too, loved Dog Soldiers, and The Descent is one of the few scary movies that I absolutely adore, although I don't know if I will ever be able to sit through another viewing of it. I agree with the sentiment that Doomsday was a step backward - it was ok, but I am not a huge Rhona Mitra fan either. I previously had no idea that these three films had the same guy behind the wheel, but now knowing that, I am definitely gonna have to give Centurion a watch!
 

s_glasgow99

New member
Jan 8, 2010
77
0
0
I have to say, I've gotten REAAALY a lot more intrigued in Piranha 3D in the past few days, even more so now realizing the director.

I got lucky enough to grab The Decent off the shelf of a Blockbuster without so much as looking at the back cover to see what it was about. I didn't even know there were going to be monsters in it. That being said, the movie freaked me out BEFORE the monsters showed up. Oh, sorry, spoiler alert, there's monsters. I don't know how well it holds up knowing the full premise before viewing, but it confirms my theory that the less we know about a movie before we watch it, the better. No expectations, no preconceived ideas, just enjoying it as it is.

Imagine being in the 80s, you haven't heard of Indiana Jones, and you pop that guy in from a white, no frills, no graphics case. And then you experience it.

So to all you guys wanting to experience something new, just grab a random movie off of the scifi/horror shelf and see what you get. First film "Altered States" :) and no, I'm not going to tell you what it's about. :)
 

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
5,630
0
0
theclownprince1 said:
Doomsday was God aweful, I cringed my way through the entire film.
I jsut barely watched it myself...so terrible, truly
 

RMcD94

New member
Nov 25, 2009
430
0
0
Didn't seem much of a review, or even anything really. More like a News Article.
 

snow

New member
Jan 14, 2010
1,034
0
0
RTR said:
I Was kinda expecting a sort of response to all the heat Bob got for his review of The Expendables. That would've been fun. I already had a title in my mind, something like "counter-Attack" or "Returning Fire", in which Bob compares other action movies, and compares them to The Expendables to better show off its shortcomings. Anyway, this is still a good read.
Actually, I wish he did do that, because I STILL don't know why he doesn't like it. I haven't seen the movie and all I can take from his review is that "Bob does not like."

That's the only real problem I had with that last review. A lot of people told me it was decent, and Bob said it sucked, I want to know why. It's not going to make or break me seeing the film, but if he was able to explain the movie a bit more to give me some incite as to why he hated it, then I wouldn't have a problem. If anything, he could have left this weeks review to the other 2 films and made the article based on what his problem(s) with the Expendables were.

I'm not mad at the insults, because obviously they don't affect me considering I haven't seen the film, I'm upset that I feel his videos are slipping. Watch one of his older videos like Splice, then come back to watch the Expendables and this weeks double review, and you can see why I feel this is the case. The review on Splice gave me enough information about the film for me to get a better idea on whether that film was worth my time or not. His later reviews seem to lack that of which attracted me to his videos in the first place.

The only things I know about the past 4 movies he talked about are "Liked, HATED, Boobs, and the director from Dog Soldiers." Quite frankly, how am I supposed to take him seriously as a reviewer/critic when that's all the information he's releasing about the films he goes to see. Is he suffering from illness and is accidentally falling asleep at the theater so his videos are suffering for it?

This article however inspired me to go down to my brothers, grab a glass of wine, and watch Dog Soldiers and The Descent again. This is the kind of approach I expect from you Bob. In this article, he introduces a writer/director that may not be as well known as the others, and talks about a few of his movies that I for one feel are extraordinary, and by doing so, giving them the spotlight for a moment so others who have never heard of the film(s)/director before can go out and rent some treasures.

Very professional, and very informational, what happened that your videos are starting to lack this?
 

RTR

New member
Mar 22, 2008
1,351
0
0
snowfox said:
RTR said:
I Was kinda expecting a sort of response to all the heat Bob got for his review of The Expendables. That would've been fun. I already had a title in my mind, something like "counter-Attack" or "Returning Fire", in which Bob compares other action movies, and compares them to The Expendables to better show off its shortcomings. Anyway, this is still a good read.
Actually, I wish he did do that, because I STILL don't know why he doesn't like it. I haven't seen the movie and all I can take from his review is that "Bob does not like."

That's the only real problem I had with that last review. A lot of people told me it was decent, and Bob said it sucked, I want to know why. It's not going to make or break me seeing the film, but if he was able to explain the movie a bit more to give me some incite as to why he hated it, then I wouldn't have a problem. If anything, he could have left this weeks review to the other 2 films and made the article based on what his problem(s) with the Expendables were.

I'm not mad at the insults, because obviously they don't affect me considering I haven't seen the film, I'm upset that I feel his videos are slipping. Watch one of his older videos like Splice, then come back to watch the Expendables and this weeks double review, and you can see why I feel this is the case. The review on Splice gave me enough information about the film for me to get a better idea on whether that film was worth my time or not. His later reviews seem to lack that of which attracted me to his videos in the first place.

The only things I know about the past 4 movies he talked about are "Liked, HATED, Boobs, and the director from Dog Soldiers." Quite frankly, how am I supposed to take him seriously as a reviewer/critic when that's all the information he's releasing about the films he goes to see. Is he suffering from illness and is accidentally falling asleep at the theater so his videos are suffering for it?

This article however inspired me to go down to my brothers, grab a glass of wine, and watch Dog Soldiers and The Descent again. This is the kind of approach I expect from you Bob. In this article, he introduces a writer/director that may not be as well known as the others, and talks about a few of his movies that I for one feel are extraordinary, and by doing so, giving them the spotlight for a moment so others who have never heard of the film(s)/director before can go out and rent some treasures.

Very professional, and very informational, what happened that your videos are starting to lack this?
The way I see it, Bob likes to call things the way he sees them or the way he thinks it was intended to be. Example: in his review of Splice, he brought out all the good points he saw in the movie while also kidding around with the whole "Would ya...?" thing. Also, when he talks about boobs in movies, for the most part, he brings it up when their inclusion was intentional right from the start, which was pretty much the case with Pirahna 3D. It's just a mindless, bloody, junky, b-movie distraction. The good kind.
 

Sovvolf

New member
Mar 23, 2009
2,341
0
0
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the fellows films. Though I honestly didn't know who he was or if it was the same fellow who did the mentioned films. However I've enjoyed both The Decent and Dog Soldiers, haven't got around to Doomsday and I'm sure I'll enjoy centurion. Though now that I know the director is linked to both of those gems. I assure you I'll be keeping a watch out of this fellow and his future movies.
Marter said:
Haven't seen Dog Soldiers yet, but when I find it, I will buy it.
Do, seriously... It's a brilliant largely underrated gem and a personal favourite of mine. The movie as a brilliant balance of horror, action, tension and comedy... A must see film in my opinion. Though I hear it went straight to DVD in America which is a shame.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
ckeymel said:
I, too, loved Dog Soldiers, and The Descent is one of the few scary movies that I absolutely adore, although I don't know if I will ever be able to sit through another viewing of it. I agree with the sentiment that Doomsday was a step backward - it was ok, but I am not a huge Rhona Mitra fan either. I previously had no idea that these three films had the same guy behind the wheel, but now knowing that, I am definitely gonna have to give Centurion a watch!
I'm almost completely with you, though I'll watch The Descent over and over again and, though I agree Doomsday wasn't nearly as deft, I love me some Rhona Mitra.

I'd heard Dog Soldiers was good, but now that I know who's responsible for it, it's definitely on my "to watch" list.
 

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
2,054
0
1
Country
Ireland
Saw Centurion last week and like the rest of his movies it's pretty enjoyable as long as you're not expecting anything other than a decent action flick