Martial Arts That Aren't Useless

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Meriatressia said:
There is one I can't remember the name of, but it was in Recess. A french martial art that seems very practical.

I think there's a practical form of martial art from england. Not sure what it's called but it's old.
I think Savate and Bartitsu are the ones you're thinking of. Savate is french kickboxing (where headshot kicks score the most points so, y'know, thats how they roll) and Bartitsu is a weird beast of gentlemanly combat where you have savage beatings administered with an elegant mahogany cane.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
RandV80 said:
Talking about different styles though, one thing I've never understood is why modern MMA doesn't incorporate the side kick. In ITF this is the first kick you learn alongside the front kick, and it's basically you're bread and butter. It can be quick, versatile, and powerful. Anytime we went to mixed style tournaments we'd usually dominate with it. It also happened to be Bruce Lee's favourite kick.
It's getting more popular recently, since it's the Thai Round kicks natural predator a lot of people seem to be incorporating it into their styles now. Can't say why it wasn't prevalent before, that ones got me stumped.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Has OP even been in a fight, or taken courses in any of this stuff? How can you say most martial arts are unless you fight for a living? How bout you just plan on not fighting people mmmkay.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
If you want to get fit just work out, martial arts aren't all that effective in a street fight anyways. Most fights are won by the guy who swung first. Just sucker punch someone if they're getting in your face.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Pharsalus said:
Has OP even been in a fight, or taken courses in any of this stuff? How can you say most martial arts are unless you fight for a living? How bout you just plan on not fighting people mmmkay.
He was asking because a lot of martial arts, as they are modernly taught, are useless. You'd be hard pressed to find a legitimate karate school in most parts of the United States - the majority are tournament schools, where they teach you a lot of things that will get your booty beaten on a street. A lot of martial arts suffer from this.

Of course, if you heads to Asia, things change.

Generally speaking, there are 'good' martial arts for fighting. By good, most people mean 'easily accessible fighting styles.' Jui Jitsu is a good one not because its superior to 'true' karate, per se, but because its one of the most common taught in the US at real self defence schools. Krav Maga is another good one because it just about has no other use then to mess people up. It's pretty much 'dirty murder fighting 101.'

EDIT: Jui Jitsu is also pretty good because a lot of people have spent a lot of time distilling it down to its basics for exactly what the OP is asking for - simple self defense you don't have to spend a life time mastering.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Age plays a factor too. There are inner styles and outer styles. Outer styles are for more explosive intense release of power. Where inner styles focus more on reaction. Both have value, like Tai Chi is very good for your joints and flexibility while great for focus. That is one of more popular inner styles and the one I am most familiar with since I didn't get into it till I was in my 30s

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Surprised Jeet Kune Do hasn't been mentioned yet. Being built entirely around efficiency and adaptability, there are definitely styles that get the job done faster (it being more reserved than some all out techniques), it should be able to deal with whatever comes at you. It is however painfully hard to learn as it's as much a mindset as a list of moves.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I've personally found kickboxing to be excellent for my physical fitness, but I would think its practicality really comes down to what kind of kickboxing class you go to and whether they train you for continuous sparring or just point scoring. Some intructors will put more emphasis on inflicting damage or self defense, whereas some are a bit more keen on the 'art' side of things and will just nag you to get your form right.

At the very least, you should be taught to throw a really bloody good punch, kick, sweep people's legs, keep a guard up,etc. You'll also probably learn proper technique for knee and elbow strikes, although they're illegal in sparring. The kicks can't generally be performed properly if you're wearing jeans or anything, but they're worth learning on the off chance that somebody tries to mug while you're wearing joggers.

I've had people recommend things like krav maga, judo, jiu jitsu, muay thai, but I can't personally attest to whether or not any of them are any good.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
BanicRhys said:
(I'm not sure if martial art is the broadest term, but basically, I'm just talking about any style of fighting.)

I want to get fit and I figured that I may as well learn a useful life skill while I do it, so naturally, I thought of learning a martial art. The only problem is, all the martial arts that I'm aware of (Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Tai Chi, Yoga, Sudoku, etc etc etc) seem to be about as useful in a real life fight as training in Baseball (or so I'm told).

So, my question to you is, do you know of any fighting styles that actually have a practical application.

In honour of the upcoming Brazil Soccer World Cup, which I'm sure we're all super excited about [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lie], have some Capoeira.

Try several different styles to see what suits you, don't be afraid of being shit, looking a fool or taking a hit. I've done karate, tae kwon do and kick boxing. I assure you any form of training will make you faster than the average punk, none of them are useless so long you learn to take a hit and practice actual fighting.

From what I've done, kick boxing was the best for fitness and easily had the most applicable skills, if I understand you. I still do this in my mid 30s, I'd easily suggest this if you are going into a fighting style and you've left it a bit late in life.

Tae Kwon do is often ran as a sport, so most clubs will probably not provide what you want. But it is a great way to get fit and it is often popular with the ladies ;)

The karate style I practice, wado ryu, has both practical and spiritual aspects to it. I found it a great way to relax both physically and mentally in my troubled youth. It kept me fit and it helped me kick the shit of of few plebs in my teenage years.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Sleekit said:
Funyahns said:
Age plays a factor too. There are inner styles and outer styles. Outer styles are for more explosive intense release of power. Where inner styles focus more on reaction. Both have value, like Tai Chi is very good for your joints and flexibility while great for focus. That is one of more popular inner styles and the one I am most familiar with since I didn't get into it till I was in my 30s
ye but are you doing it right ?

most people in the west do "Tai Chi" completely wrong and thus develop very little, if any, tendon strength from doing it...which is it's major benefit...especially in old age.

not saying that's you Funyahns but typically classes are usually just people flailing about...slowly...while thinking their doing something vaguely beneficial and perhaps vaguely mystical...usually middle aged women tbth...including my own mother...

for the layman: if anyone knows what i mean by "pushing against a wall that isn't there"...that's the real secret of "Tai Chi".

now try doing that continuously while executing something akin to a single clichéd "Tai Chi" movement or "form"...

ye.

now you know why it's mental discipline as well as a physical one and why it takes years to master.
I learned it from a very good teacher. The man grew up in China and was amazing. I have hardly ever seen anyone as graceful in motion as him. He was also adept at several Kung Fu styles, which I never tried to learn but I still love to watch him do it. So to answer yes, I learned a lot about it. He taught us how the forms and movements could be used in joint locks and tosses. Tai Chi is honestly a pretty nasty style it goes for a lot of breaking of hands or dislocation of shoulders.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
The reality is that knowing how and being really good at throwing a straight-forward punch is far, far, far more useful in a fight than knowing twenty different kinds of kicks and thirty different katas.

In a real fight, you need something that you can do as a reaction. Unless you're an asshole setting out to pick a fight with a smaller person, then any real fight you find yourself in is going to be an unexpected, stressful situation where you will need something simple and direct that you don't need to set up or think about. Knowing a bunch of neat joint locks is only helpful if you have the skill and presence of mind to pull them off. And you will never learn to use any martial art as a reaction practicing katas or doing sets of ten crescent kicks on count. If you want to use something practically, it needs to be practiced practically.

So if you're looking for self-defense, you want to train in an environment that focuses on sparing in a way that can actually resemble a real fight. Boxing is good for non-grappling (It doesn't teach you to defend against kicking, but being able to kick well enough for that to be a problem requires more training than whoever your fighting probably has), but you *definitely* want to practice some kind of grappling as well, because real fights can end up on the floor pretty fast.

Keep in mind that, in a real self-defense situation, you're almost certainly not going to be fighting a martial artist or trained boxer. You'll be fighting someone is just impulsive and violent, but tough enough that he hasn't gotten that behavior beaten out of him and actually experienced in a real fight. If you can keep your cool and hit him hard with a solid, well-formed punch you've neutralized most of his advantage.

RandV80 said:
Talking about different styles though, one thing I've never understood is why modern MMA doesn't incorporate the side kick. In ITF this is the first kick you learn alongside the front kick, and it's basically you're bread and butter. It can be quick, versatile, and powerful. Anytime we went to mixed style tournaments we'd usually dominate with it. It also happened to be Bruce Lee's favourite kick.
Might be because, if you *don't* serious hurt your opponent with it, it's easy for them to grab your leg and put you in a bad position.

I remember from my days in TKD sparring that, yeah, it's really good if you're just trying to hit someone and they aren't supposed to grab, but the one time I sparred with a woman who liked to grab anyway she'd be able to grab my foot every time, and it would be straight to the mat at that point if we were doing MMA. And it's also a kick that requires your opponent to be far enough to have room to use the kick, but close enough for you to actually hit hard with it. Back off just a little neutralized it as an actual attack, rather than just a point-scoring move.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I have to say BJJ is surprisingly useful. A lot of the time you end up on the ground anyway, and most people don't know what to do when you go for an armbar or a triangle choke because they have no concept of what you could be doing before it's done.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I have to say BJJ is surprisingly useful. A lot of the time you end up on the ground anyway, and most people don't know what to do when you go for an armbar or a triangle choke because they have no concept of what you could be doing before it's done.
Most people are overly concerned about their torso and head, and value them above limbs and joints in a fight. Its understandable - In any circumstance besides a bare knuckle fight, giving up an arm is preferable to getting stabbed, or hit with a bat, or having boxes fall on you, or whatever normal things may be happening to you. In truth, your torso and head are fortresses of their own right. Its really only modern issues like weapons and accidents like car wrecks that make them seem so fragile.

Generally speaking, once you get just about any joint on your opponent's body under your control, the fights done, whether they accept it or not. If the pain of having an arm wrench out of the socket doesn't finish them off, the fact that their fighting you with only one arm will likely be a decisive factor.

Which isn't to say you should go tearing peoples limbs off once you learn how to. That's obviously the last resort deal.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
Krav Maga to be sure.
Though it is not really a martial art - it was pragmatically deigned to be a set of principles to be employed on the actual modern battlefield. It is a dangerous thing to know, however - Krav Maga is generally designed to kill opponents.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
I'm gonna go with recommending Krav Maga too(although it's not a Martial Art,it's self defense),I started Martial Arts 30 odd years ago with Kung Fu,and have done just about every interesting one to come to light since then(Shotokan Karate,Bujinkan Ninjutsu,Muai Thai(in Thailand),Pencak Silat,Tae Kwon Do...I'm sure I'm forgetting a few!..
and if you don't like Krav Maga a couple of other good picks are Pencak Silat(the Martial art used in the Raid Redemption and Raid 2 movies,Muai Thai fighters are some of the toughest people I've ever met because of the ferocious training schedule,there's also Bokator which is Cambodian,but if you make the mistake of mentioning/asking the question "which came first Muai Thai or Bokator you may not survive the answer!)

If it's fitness that you want by all means do some MMA training,but remember it's a sport...with rules,and I heavily discourage anybody who thinks taking a fight to the ground as soon as possible is a good idea...one of my friends was murdered in Wales a few years ago because he took a fight to the ground and got kicked to death by the guy he was tying in knot's friends and he was a very competent fighter,taught me a lot of Jiu Jitsu moves that I still use today.

Ultimately I would recommend a Krav Maga school whose main instructor has been trained by someone from Roy Elganyahan's school
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hXjr_7bSdg,anyone who has trained with Amir Peretz or of course the main man Eyal Yanilov,
I know this is a wall of text but the most controversial aspect of Krav Maga training is Gun Disarms,I was totally against them when I started(as I shoot as well,and if I'm gonna shoot someone it's not going to be within reach of their arms),
but those disarms are mainly for execution style situations where someone is intending to shoot you from close distance,so I got over my reservations :) I would also recommend Escrima,and a good Krav Maga or Escrima class will get you every bit as fit as Boxing or MMA,
One final word,street fighters with no training,who fight all the time,beat black belts and highly trained individuals all the time,there's a world of difference between a Dojo or Ring and a street or bar situation,so if you're REALLY serious about learning to protect yourself,and read your surroundings,either get a job as a Door Supervisor(we used to just call ourselves Bouncers,but a lot has changed since then!) for a while,or get ADVICE from a Doorman/Woman who has at least ten years on the job,
also look up a chap named Geoff Thompson http://www.geoffthompson.com/ and read his book "Watch my Back" it's full of tips and tricks that have saved my ass numerous times and is a cracking read too.

teamcharlie

Jan 22, 2013
First, a note: Don't get into fights. They're really bad. It's surprisingly easy to get somebody killed when there are a lot of hard surfaces and corners around (anybody see Ender's Game? It gets a lot of flack, but if you recall the shower scene that can absolutely happen), and even if you 'win' the fight their friend, or girlfriend, or grandmother might be hiding a knife just waiting for you to walk on by. Fun fact: knives are really easy to use, easy to hide, hard to see, really hard to defend against at close range, and can absolutely kill you. Stay safe.

That being said, a few basic recommendations:

Any good martial arts school should have a proper exercise regimen. Stretching has dubious benefits prior to a workout (helps your joints move further, but can also increase the risk of hyperextension. Definitely stretch afterwards if your class doesn't do it though, great for preventing sore muscles and getting the most out of your training the next time), but jumping jacks, push-ups, crunches, and jogging are a great way to get some exercise in and get the blood flowing before you train.

Style honestly depends on your teacher. Krav and MMA can be good. If the sensei (and whoever else runs classes; pretty often a high-ranking student runs some normal classes. This shouldn't put you off, but bear it in mind when considering a dojo) has a good pedigree and teaches a mixture of strikes, joint locks and throws (and if you're lucky some weapon defense techniques) you're pretty much set. But some senseis and dojos are shitty, so do your homework. And yes, as awesome and disabling as a good joint lock is, most fights you're likely to be in require nothing more than good reflexes and the ability to punch somebody without breaking your own hand.

Sparring is good, and so is not getting beaten up at your own dojo. You definitely want there to be some contact. This should optimally include bag work for your strikes, a training partner for joint locks and throws, and an opponent for free-form minimal-to-medium contact sparring. The first teaches you what it's really like to put force into a strike against a target with mass, the second ensures you understand how the joint locks and throws work against another human body (in an actual fight you generally have to soften up your opponent with some strikes to get them into a lock in the first place, btw), and the third helps you learn what works in a match against somebody actively trying to beat you as well as helping you with your reflexes.

Avoid getting hurt. An injury puts you out of training for a while, and concussions can lead to brain damage and a whole host of other problems. It probably doesn't sound very manly/tough/whatev, but if you're legitimately worried about getting hurt by another student and your sensei doesn't do something about it, you're at the wrong dojo.

Don't worry about rank. If you really want a black belt, buy it. You train to learn and to get in shape, and that's the only true measure of success in training.