Martin Freeman Didn't Read The Hobbit Until He Was Cast As Bilbo

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Paul Verhoeven read Starship Troopers and was bored.
Not really surprised by this at all.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Isn't this what essentially happened to Ian McKellen when he was casted as Gandalf, and if memory serves me right from a "making of" he carried the book with him so as to be as true to the character as possible.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I was too burned out to read anymore tolkien and never picked any up afterwards. Kind of want to read it now.

And also, why is Morgan Freeman starring in The Hobbit? I just don't see that working out.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Oh yeah... oh yeah... bring it on! BRING IIIT OOOON! The Hobbit... THE HOBBIT! -is too excited for proper comments-

Mullahgrrl

Apr 20, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The biggest difference for Freeman in playing Bilbo is that he finally gets to play a character that takes some initiative. "I love the fact that the majority of the characters I've portrayed in the past always react to something, Bilbo, on the contrary, is an active character. He creates his own adventure."
Are we certain that he has actually read the book?

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
Tsaba said:
Isn't this what essentially happened to Ian McKellen when he was casted as Gandalf, and if memory serves me right from a "making of" he carried the book with him so as to be as true to the character as possible.
Uh... No. according to Peter Jackson, Ian already knew the books like the back of his hand, and was constantly badgering him to make the movie as true to the books as possible.

McKellen himself claimed that he rereads the books on a nearly annual basis.

So he was more-or-less the Tolkien nerd on set (I mean that as a compliment by the way).

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
bismarck55 said:
Tsaba said:
Uh... No. according to Peter Jackson, Ian already knew the books like the back of his hand, and was constantly badgering him to make the movie as true to the books as possible.

So he was more-or-less the Tolkien nerd on set (I mean that as a compliment by the way).
Ok, so no he didn't read the book before it for the first time, but, didn't he carry the book with him constantly?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Oh right, this is coming soon...

ROCK ON!!!

OT: Meh, it isn't the first time actor's have had to research the characters they will be portraying.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
Tsaba said:
bismarck55 said:
Tsaba said:

Ok, so no he didn't read the book before it for the first time, but, didn't he carry the book with him constantly?
Maybe... I remember hearing something to that effect.

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
i never read the hobbit per se...it was read to me as a child many times, and I have never re read it in its entirety

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Christopher Lee was said to be the hugest Tolkien fanboy on set. In the special features there were moments where he gave feedback on how to be more faithful to the backstory, answered lore questions to other actors and even writers, and he even knew how to speak and read the fictional languages beforehand.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mullahgrrl said:
Greg Tito said:
The biggest difference for Freeman in playing Bilbo is that he finally gets to play a character that takes some initiative. "I love the fact that the majority of the characters I've portrayed in the past always react to something, Bilbo, on the contrary, is an active character. He creates his own adventure."
Are we certain that he has actually read the book?
My thought exactly. Okay, once the adventure STARTS, then he is active. However, he didn't start it.
Mr. Freeman certainly looks the part in that picture, and his attitude seems to be spot on with Bilbo's too. This looks like a good match.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
So what, the guy who played Arthur Dent is playing Bilbo?
The universe may explode with awesomeness.
'Nuff said.

llafnwod

Nov 9, 2007
I do believe Viggo Mortensen had not read Lord of the Rings before being cast as Aragorn, and he did alright.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Did anyone else accidentally misread Martin as Morgan?
Now that would've been an interesting casting choice...

darkdots

Oct 8, 2010
Tolken reserves the rights to kill LORTO. They pulled out of Iron Crown Enterprises because they were bored. Galdolph gets to be gay because Harry Potter's Wizard is gay, and you know how Wizards are...? WTF, Corporate is goofy as hell. You know.....that banker dude named??? what was his name? Tol..something, oh I forgot, just rolled over in his grave. Why do we need 'these kinds of discussions' in a kids book? Corporate has lost it's vison of The Hobbit. Why not make Orc's from Bangladesh, Riders of Brazil, Samwise-Coco-puffs, or start alcoholics anonymous meetings with Tolken sponsored dwarves? I think this round of Corporate ideas killed the brad for many years to come. What were they thinking???, "You know George, people just aren't talking enough about gay wizards around the water cooler at work anymore. How can we get some of that action on the screen. Everyone wants this today. Kids are screaming, 'Where's my bisexual beard doll'?" OOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG /go-away. & when Corporate pulls the plug on LORTO after people were suckered into buying lifetime licences, I'll be rolling on the floor laughing. (Meh, I'm not pissed. Just frustrated. The next Hobbit movie I go watch better say, "Under new management.") /end

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I don't see all that large of a problem with the actor having never read the source material.

On one hand, it may be a benefit to have someone who is a giant lore-nerd and takes the source material very seriously. They'll commit themselves to the role wholeheartedly.

On the other hand, people who know the source material well may not come up with a natural film representation of the character. They may be so caught up with what's in the book, and what works in books doesn't necessarily work in movies. The actor may come to a point where they have nothing of themselves in at the part all, which would make the character seem hollow and less-dynamic.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I thought the title said Morgan Freeman Didn't Read...
That really peaked my curiosity.

OT: It doen't really matter if he had never read it, or even if he still hasn't. The director should be able to get him to act appropriatly. But its good that he read it because its an awesome book and now he knows exactly what an awesome film he will be in.