Martin Freeman Didn't Read The Hobbit Until He Was Cast As Bilbo

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Watching the old Rankin/Bass animated film of The Hobbit when I was a kid prompted me to go out and read the book. I devoured it and The Lord of the Rings soon after, followed by The Silmarillion and all things Tolkien by the time I was 8 years old.
Huh. I was a prodigy back when I was 9 and even then I'd struggled with Lord of The Rings. The Sil by 8? That's amazing.

Anyway it's nice at least someone involved in the film will have read The Hobbit. Maybe he can convince Peter Jackson not to include a helicopter chase.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Yay, 2nd season of Sherlock, the first one was awesome.

Very British, yet very believable.

MinchMan

Nov 12, 2010
Well, it's probably for the best to read the material that you're acting... I mean, just so you have an opinon on how the charecter would have acted, or something like that.
its good that he read it. He did great as Arthur Dent. and uh... yeah.

are they going to keep the same Gandalf, since he's like... always old? Great way to keep a great actor on hand.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
I think he'll do fine, particularly since he's read the book now.

But oh my, I do think he'd make a wonderful Doctor.

Jan 23, 2009
bahumat42 said:
Sneaklemming said:
Ive read it in school - but not the lotr trilogy. It's conceptually boring.

(sorry guys)
the concept of a group of fantasy heroes teaming up to destroy an evil enemy? thats pretty much every fantasy anything ever.
That's my point really.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
darkdots said:
Tolken reserves the rights to kill LORTO. They pulled out of Iron Crown Enterprises because they were bored. Galdolph gets to be gay because Harry Potter's Wizard is gay, and you know how Wizards are...? WTF, Corporate is goofy as hell. You know.....that banker dude named??? what was his name? Tol..something, oh I forgot, just rolled over in his grave. Why do we need 'these kinds of discussions' in a kids book? Corporate has lost it's vison of The Hobbit. Why not make Orc's from Bangladesh, Riders of Brazil, Samwise-Coco-puffs, or start alcoholics anonymous meetings with Tolken sponsored dwarves? I think this round of Corporate ideas killed the brad for many years to come. What were they thinking???, "You know George, people just aren't talking enough about gay wizards around the water cooler at work anymore. How can we get some of that action on the screen. Everyone wants this today. Kids are screaming, 'Where's my bisexual beard doll'?" OOOOOMMMMMMGGGGGG /go-away. & when Corporate pulls the plug on LORTO after people were suckered into buying lifetime licences, I'll be rolling on the floor laughing. (Meh, I'm not pissed. Just frustrated. The next Hobbit movie I go watch better say, "Under new management.") /end
...what?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here. You think Lord of the Rings is slowly taking over our lives thanks to marketing? Or something? Coherency, dude.

OT: Pretty normal as far as I know. Faramir's actor hadn't read LotR until he was cast too. Great story, but not everyone's read it.

darkdots

Oct 8, 2010
Tolken Enterprises would change the novel and sell you cough syrup if they thought they could make a buck. Dudes are dorks.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
If he works for the BBC he's got a real chance of being cast as Doctor Who sooner or later at the rate they run through Doctor Whos they're going to have to.