Marvel Promising Big "Shocker" in Invincible Iron Man 1

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel Promising Big "Shocker" in Invincible Iron Man 1

Brian Michael Bendis's Invincible Iron Man will apparently leave "the entire comic industry" in state of shock.

Earlier this summer, Marvel <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141410-Marvel-Launching-45-Comic-Series-After-Secret-Wars>offered the world a first glance at its plans for its post-Secret Wars "All-New, All-Different" universe. The publisher unveiled 45 new books -a mixture of re-launches and new series- that would serve as the spearhead of its refreshed continuity. Not surprisingly given the character's popularity, one of the first books listed was Invincible Iron Man, a new series by writer Brian Michael Bendis that would continue the adventures of Tony Stark.

Hoping to give its readers a deeper look at the new book, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20comics?os=marvel+comics>Marvel today has put out a series of preview images showcasing pages and variant covers from the first issue. The preview pages themselves look as though they're from the opening section of the book and feature everyone's favorite tech genius billionaire working on what he hopes will be the Iron Man suit to end all Iron Man suits. "I finally found a way to include all my different armor modes into one," he says, after finishing it. The pages do more than just show off his new toy however. Marvel also stated that the new comic will further explore what "really happened" at the end of Secret Wars as well as the consequences of recent revelations about Tony's parentage.

[gallery=4499]
In addition to stating that "questions will be answered," Marvel has also promised that first issue of Invincible Iron Man will include "a shocker of a last page that will have the entire comic industry talking!" Whether or not that winds up actually being the case is something we'll have to wait and see. Happily though, we won't be waiting for much longer since Invincible Iron Man 1 will be landing in comic shops on October 7th.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
It's going to change the comic industry? Wow it must be shocking, will they be revamping an established character or bringing in a new hero or... oh, something they did back in the 90's for Spiderman and 00's for Wolverine.

How quaintly shocking.

Oh Wait, there will be a last page shocker? How could it change the comic industry! Will Tony be outed as gay for Captain America, will Tony not be Tony but a Skurll who took his identity in Vietnam, will Tony actually be in a coma and the whole Marvel Universe was a dream and the Avengers people from the Hospital, will Tony actually be a giant, sentient Dildo?

I don't really see how at this point the adventures of Venture Capitalist in his magic suit of armor can shock us. He's already been a villain, and he's already nearly collapsed into alcoholic disrepair. And killed people. Where do we go for shocking? I mean, we already have hard core sex (Sex Criminals and Saga) and Violent (the entire Image output), so where are we going?

Also that suit looks weird. It's a bit too baggy.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
We actually already knew this. It was revealed in the last series along with his brother-by-adoption Arno Stark who was physically crippled but smarter than even Tony.

What Bendis has said he's going to do is actually explore that concept further than "Oh, we'll that's a thing then."

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Shiftygiant said:
It's going to change the comic industry? Wow it must be shocking, will they be revamping an established character or bringing in a new hero or... oh, something they did back in the 90's for Spiderman and 00's for Wolverine.

How quaintly shocking.

Oh Wait, there will be a last page shocker? How could it change the comic industry! Will Tony be outed as gay for Captain America, will Tony not be Tony but a Skurll who took his identity in Vietnam, will Tony actually be in a coma and the whole Marvel Universe was a dream and the Avengers people from the Hospital, will Tony actually be a giant, sentient Dildo?

I don't really see how at this point the adventures of Venture Capitalist in his magic suit of armor can shock us. He's already been a villain, and he's already nearly collapsed into alcoholic disrepair. And killed people. Where do we go for shocking? I mean, we already have hard core sex (Sex Criminals and Saga) and Violent (the entire Image output), so where are we going?

Also that suit looks weird. It's a bit too baggy.
Wgat's more, we already have a story about a psychic at war with the world to make it a utopia. It's called "Imperium", and it's actually pretty good.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
DeimosMasque said:
We actually already knew this. It was revealed in the last series along with his brother-by-adoption Arno Stark who was physically crippled but smarter than even Tony.

What Bendis has said he's going to do is actually explore that concept further than "Oh, we'll that's a thing then."
My bad for the misinterpretation. I've fixed it up!

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Not something I knew before the Death Battle episode, but not exactly a shocker. Adoption isn't a big deal and doesn't really change the character. Gah, now I can't help but thinking this is going to be coming -

The Mandarin: No Tony, I am your father.

Narrative causality now mandates Tony's real father be a villain. Of course, they could go in a 'completely original direction' and have him be some sort of clone.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
And along with it came the least interesting Iron Man armor ever created.

Can I be honest... I don't know if I have ever felt anything Bendis did was that good. His name is constantly put all over everything and it almost drives me away at this point. I'm not going to be so bold as to say he is a bad writer or that I have read everything he has done, but his name doesn't carry nearly as much weight for me as some other writers do. Like, I see his name but has no weight for me. If you said Jim Starlin or J Michael Straczynski or Peter David, that would be a seller for me. But Bendis... never really cared for his work. But that is just me.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
So what is Tony going to lose his beard and moustache in a fight and declare that he will build world-wide armor to protect everyone's face fuzz?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Given the design of the armour, I hope this means it comes with a theme song by Rooney.

Khrowley said:
So what is Tony going to lose his beard and moustache in a fight and declare that he will build world-wide armor to protect everyone's face fuzz?
Apparently, even he fears the power of his beard. Check the panels.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
008Zulu said:
I have seen the last page;

Tony Stark is a gay alien robot
I can't even tell if you being serious or not, I just accept that as a path Marvel would pursue.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Liking the art style, but I can't help that picture 6 makes me think of the new armour looking very...anime. Not sure if I'm a fan of that.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
It could be interesting, but somehow it might end up with Tony actually being the father of the Talky Toaster from Red Dwarf.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Hmm.

What if they kill him?
Either on the date or during his first deployment.

An inversion of the 'Invicible' name, though given another iron man will rise the naming remains appropriate.
The other Stark brother could take his place, which sounds like an interesting proposition.

I'd personally prefer a faked or inconclusive 'death' if they do indeed go with this option.
As much as I am interested in seeing the other stark brother and reading his rise as a hero, I'm reluctant to see the end of Tony.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Oh, oh, I know, he's gay now!
What? Comic industry still considers it groundbreaking.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Okay, my last prediction. Iron Man is killed by his suit, which uploads his mind. The last scene of the issue is tony realizing he's dead when the suit opens and his charred corpse falls out.