Marvel Studios Boss: Female-Led Marvel Movie is a "Challenging Thing"

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Exterminas said:
Don't get me wrong, I love the Marvel Movies, but when freaking Ant Man gets a Movie before Black Widow, someone really has dropped the ball.
Sorry, but Ant Man was originally supposed to have his movie be released in 2010 before Iron Man 2 took its place. His movie was going to come out before people even knew who Black Widow was.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
A suggestion: let a female script-writer and Marvel fan take the lead! If DC could entrust Kevin Smith to write an entire Superman script (even though the aborted Superman Lives went to shit) then why not try the same thing here with a woman?

snowfi6916

Nov 22, 2010
Stop fucking making excuses Marvel. Scarlet Johannsen just did Lucy, which was female led, and she's your fucking Black Widow. Get your shit together.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
To those that claim female lead characters in movies is too hard/difficult: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gFP0Z4g11w

It can be done, it has been done. It's just that too often we get lame films that everyone remembers more for failure. Cat Woman anyone? Elecktra? Columbiana? Yeah. The bad ones stick out, and the good ones are easily forgotten even if we have them in our film library. He even mentioned a few that everyone enjoyed. It's almost how people try to denounce female heroes for video games. It's sad.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Waiting for the right time I understand. As others mentioned you don't want the first flop to also be first female lead picture.

But waiting for "the right story"? BOOM, She-Hulk origin movie. There you go.
1. People have a renewed interest in the Hulk franchise following The Avengers, crossing over would be easy.
2. She's a widely-known character who would fit right in with the current MCU lineup.
3. She's both strong, smart and sexy. Which casts the net of appeal pretty wide.

The only potential drawbacks I can think of would be concerns about character design(s) and how something not designed to be monstrous would look in CGI.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
"Oh, I would love to do that! It's just -argh- now's not a good time for me."
"I am just, like, swamped at work right now."

I just find it bizarre that a female lead superhero is this nebulously hard concept to grasp and get a handle on and fit into the MCU, while just having released the movie starring a talking raccoon. And a sentient tree. And a purple guy with rocket powered armrests.
Anyway, personally I'm not that interested in a Black Widow movie, but there are tons of other heroes they could make a movie about.

*EDIT*
I should note that I know that the Guardians are tied to Thanos and as such fit into their overarching story culminating with Avengers 3, I just don't think they should be having such a hard time fitting in a female lead movie into this plan given how willing they've been to go beyond the Iron Man level stuff in terms of the fantastical.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
OF COURSE we can have female leads, BUT we have to have a believable lead. To see how to NOT do it, watch Electra. Electra was fine in Daredevil, but she is not a (very) good person and should NOT be portrayed as such. If you want a movie about a captain america character, make another captain america movie.

Same problem with Catwoman (that and a host of other problems). When you make a superhero movie, you usually make a movie about a HERO. Some heroes are a lot more reluctant than others and do NOT fit in the limelight. This was one of the worst things about X-men the last stand too. "Hey, Wolverine is popular as shit! Lets make him the leader!" NO! THAT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

You need two things to make a superhero movie with a female lead:

1: A female character that BELONGS in the spotlight (not because she's popular, because thats the kind of character she is)

2: A director/writer that understands why she belongs there (or not).

This is why I would be against a Black Widow movie. I LOVE black widow, but I really dont think marvel would get her right. She is more cool than fun, and more bad than good (well...you know what I mean). So a Black Widow movie like the Electra one....horrible idea. I usually HATE prequels, but it honestly could be cool to watch a prequel about Black widow. Let her start out as a real killer...and show us the change. That COULD work. It might not, but it could.

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Guys, guys. As much as I hate to say it we need to drop both movies, I mean how else is marvel going to be able to make a second howard the duck movie?

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
tzimize said:
OF COURSE we can have female leads, BUT we have to have a believable lead. To see how to NOT do it, watch Electra. Electra was fine in Daredevil, but she is not a (very) good person and should NOT be portrayed as such. If you want a movie about a captain america character, make another captain america movie.

Same problem with Catwoman (that and a host of other problems). When you make a superhero movie, you usually make a movie about a HERO. Some heroes are a lot more reluctant than others and do NOT fit in the limelight. This was one of the worst things about X-men the last stand too. "Hey, Wolverine is popular as shit! Lets make him the leader!" NO! THAT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

You need two things to make a superhero movie with a female lead:

1: A female character that BELONGS in the spotlight (not because she's popular, because thats the kind of character she is)

2: A director/writer that understands why she belongs there (or not).

This is why I would be against a Black Widow movie. I LOVE black widow, but I really dont think marvel would get her right. She is more cool than fun, and more bad than good (well...you know what I mean). So a Black Widow movie like the Electra one....horrible idea. I usually HATE prequels, but it honestly could be cool to watch a prequel about Black widow. Let her start out as a real killer...and show us the change. That COULD work. It might not, but it could.
Pretty much agree with this aside from the prequel bit, Black Widow only works well in contrast to the heroes as someone who is out of the focus and with some mystery to her since she's the straight up femme fatale archetype.

If you want a female lead you gotta go for She Hulk, Captain Marvel, or Scarlet Witch. Two of those already have some headway to getting in (She Hulk being directly tied to Hulk and Scarlet Witch being teased in Winter Soldier) but you just have to have patience for those to plot threads to come in rather than rushing them along and resulting in a poorer movie that will further back the stupid claims of female leads make for bad movies.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Lilani said:
I think the title of the article paints what he said in a bit more negative light than it actually was. The title would suggest that he meant "challenging" in the sense of creating a movie with a female lead that people would want to watch. But what he really said was he knows people want to see movies with female leads, but due to their massive schedule of films within their franchise and their desire for quality they haven't gotten around to it.
This.

The article is taking that particular phrase "is a challenging thing" completely out of context.

I hope we do it sooner rather than later. But we find ourselves in the very strange position of managing more franchises than most people have -- which is a very, very good thing and we don't take for granted, but is a challenging thing.
He's referring to the juggling of multiple franchises as being the "challenging thing."

I don't appreciate the clickbait title, but I do think that Marvel, out of all the studios, would be capable of producing a good female led film. Give 'em a bit. They've got a hell of a lot of balls in the air. '_'

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Ratty said:
But waiting for "the right story"? BOOM, She-Hulk origin movie. There you go.
She-Hulk would fit better as a TV show.

Reason being that her civilian identity is almost as important to her as a character as being big and green is, and her civilian identity is a lawyer. Which means you have all sorts of potential for plots which rely on both superhero punching and courtroom drama, and that just works better on TV.

This is also why Daredevil is better for a TV series than he was in a movie (in that case also because it gives more chance to show how pernicious the Kingpin's influence is and how hard it is for the law to touch him).

They need to do a Ms/Captain Marvel movie. There's enough fancy bollocks floating around in the Marvel cinematic universe (and now the Kree have showed up as well) to just skip straight to her origin with some kind of alien tech accident giving her powers and have her punching and lasering dudes in the face.

vid87

May 17, 2010
She-Hulk:

-Timid lawyer becomes super-powered.

-Grows confident because of new abilities and has a ball smashing bad guys.

-Soon seeks balance with old life and professional goals, tries to hide her powers when she goes back to law.

-Realizes one or the other is impossible, returns to field as She-Hulk - green giant in pantsuit - becomes public face of super-humans in domestic life, causing a ripple effect throughout MCU and setting the stage for other heroes to reveal themselves.

It's. Right. There.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Pixar's 13th movie was Brave. They got a lot of crap for waiting that long to have a female protagonist. Their 15th will also have a female protagonist.

MCU's will be Captain America 3. Unless they re-write the script of Ant-man so much that it becomes a Wasp movie, it's looking like the 16th film at the earliest.

Given the huge number of superheroines, Marvel doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Depressing and often repeated, but still very true.

EDIT: Or at least the thinking goes that way. Just because female led movies can't ever succeed doesn't mean they won't ever succeed.
Zachary Amaranth said:
Yes, but a talking tree and raccoon won't put off the fan base like a woman will.
is this actualy true? because female droven comicbooks exist...are comic book fans THAT terrible?

if your talking about the general movie going public I call bullshit....Hungergames, Frozen and Lucy have all done well and I highly doubt it was only women going to see them

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Welp, they went ahead and made thorita. They could make some sorta spin off movie about it? Or something to do with ms. marvel

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Well, to the title of the article, I'll quote one of the greatest minds of the century:

"BULLSHIT!!"
Dr. Weird.

At least he acknowledges the great female led movies, like Frozen, for instance, which has had a massive impact in Asia, and a large enough impact in Europe that Elsa's becoming one of the most common female names. Wouldn't be surprised if Elsa didn't see a rise in popularity in the states.

I mean, they, movies with female leads, work. People see them. Men, women, children. They seem to be profitable.

I'm finding it possible that -power- plays a part in it. I mean, looking between Elsa, and Anna, Elsa's merch is more popular. The princess with the super powers.

Could've sworn they're at least working on a Ms. Marvel movie. Might be doing something with Squirrel Girl based on a recent article I saw.

Heck, Resident Evil lasted pretty dang long as a movie series for better, or worse. Personally I like them! All of them!

Considering the fact that female lead movies are super diverse, from rom coms to hyper-action, it can't be that-frikking-hard compared to other comic characters... provided people don't take too many liberties, and screw it all up, like most every female lead comic book based movie. I mean you don't see directors tampering too much with batman, or Superman, or Hulk, and so forth.
But for the love of god, don't make an arbitrary love interest. Don't invest too much into love, either, IMO. Just show her doing what she does best in the comics coz that'll be why fans are there!

But mein gott, if they're only focusing on popular franchises, I'd say female heroes might just well be screwed, and we'll never see a female lead movie. At least not for a long time. Who's a popular woman in marvel these days?

My advice would be to find a woman that's fairly popular, and use a movie to give her a push. Get people interested. Hook people. But no one'll take that advice.

Black Widow's popularity is likely because she's the most recent woman in marvel movies that is likely to do something solo, unlike members of the x-men, so people want to see her do something solo.

captcha: far away
Seems like the odds of seeing a woman leading a good movie. They are giving the crap excuses other media give when they want to shove women aside, and not deal with them in some of the most meaningful roles.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised, with their tweaking of characters and storyline to make their own cannon if black widow didn't go on to become ms marvel..

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I want to call bullshit on this whole "it's hard to do a female-led movie", but he's right... to a certain extent.

First, MAKING the film and making it interesting are simple so long as you have the right talent putting the film together (which Disney and Marvel have given their recent track record. That being said, making the movie is one thing, but marketing is a different story. The same audience that loves the Marvel movies may not be interested in a female led super hero movie (or at least that's what CEO's and big-wigs are thinking)

But, Much liked the failed logic of the games industry that says horror games and single player games are dead and not worth making, it's because most companies doing that aren't really trying at it. Granted, it's a risk. But, Marvel, you've made success stories with films about Nordic Space Gods and Guardians of the Galaxy. The only way we really see you losing with an attempt at a female-led movie is by not trying to do it at this point.