Marvel vs. DC

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Are you a Marvel fan or a DC fan. I tend to learn more towards Marvel because I know way more about their lore and characters, but I like both. I love Batman, Superman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (who I was for Halloween) and Watchmen is one of my favorite comics ever.

Jazzyjazz2323

Jan 19, 2010
Im going to say Marvel because I think on average they're more badass but I do love batman the green latern and watchmen

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
Uh-oh. VS thread. People don't really care for VS threads around here. They will often get locked pretty quickly because of the high probability of flamewars. And with a nerd-topic this contentious, I wouldn't bet on a long lifespan for this one.

As for the OP, both companies have their awesome characters. I like the X-Men and Spider-Man for Marvel especially, and with DC I like Batman especially, but I think they do the whole superhero-team thing with the Justice League far better than Marvel does with the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four and all that. Marvel teams can never manage to hold together for more than a year lately. It's like they just want every one of their superheroes to work together, but can never bring themselves to do it, while DC just said, "Screw it, throw them all into a team" and created the JL, which to me that works so much better. But Marvel does a better job in general at reminding us that behind the mask and the superpowers are very real, human people with real, human problems and emotions. DC does it well, too, but Marvel pioneered it and still does a better job.

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
Generally, I'm a marvel man. However, recently I've been getting into the Green Lantern series', particularly Blackest Night. Oh, and old Batman is aces.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
I like Both. Each company just goes about it in a different manner. With DC, its all about showing these individuals as larger-than-life characters and the effect these characters have on those around them. There's a saying that the superheroes found in comics are the new greek gods and DC is very much rooted in this.
Marvel on the other hand focuses more on the reali life implication of such people and how they react. It gives us a glimpse of what a world would be like if there really were superheroes running round. Jackass styled shows featuring idiots recreaing superheroic feats, merchandising, the political implications.
Niether one is better or greater than the other. They may have their similiarities but how couldn't they? They've been around the longest and have had the biggest players on their teams. Superman, Spiderman, Batman, Iron Man: All these characters have permeated into our culture. Simply said, such a choice, between two titans is pointless since they're both doing the same thing. Just differently.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I tend to find DCs style more appealing, but I'm fond of Spiderman. My favourite series is "Lucifer", followed "The Invisibles" - both of which are published by Vertigo, which I believe is/was owned by DC.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
dt61 said:
Are you a Marvel fan or a DC fan. I tend to learn more towards Marvel because I know way more about their lore and characters, but I like both. I love Batman, Superman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (who I was for Halloween) and Watchmen is one of my favorite comics ever.
Marvel creates characters with a more consistent background (Anyone care to de-mystify Catwoman for me?), but also creates characters that are heroic while still accessible. You can understand their flaws, because you may very well share them. You can't relate to Superman or Batman... a millionaire and an alien... But Spiderman? The X-Men? You get a sense they have a human side, and the stories can play on the conflict between the human side and the hero side.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I don't even know the difference between the two. They both are super-hero comic book companies, right? :eek:

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Without Vertigo, this would be clear win for Marvel in my books. Except well nearly everything Vertigo produces is completely awesome (or at least good). I like Batman and even Superman but I have a hard time getting my head around DC's snarled continuity with it's need for constant crisis crossovers to update the status quo. I found Marvel's sliding timescale works well if you don't think too hard about it. I find Marvel's character far more relatable due to their character flaws and more enjoyable due to their generally weaker powersets. So while I like some DC characters, I really have no favourites, whereas I have plent in marvel (nearly all of which have been killed off this year to my annoyance).

toriver said:
Marvel teams can never manage to hold together for more than a year lately. It's like they just want every one of their superheroes to work together, but can never bring themselves to do it, while DC just said, "Screw it, throw them all into a team" and created the JL, which to me that works so much better.
I quite like the ever shifting dynamics of the Avengers, I feel it's realistic that with such strong personalites clashing people would come and go, different squads and styles would be formed and reformed over the years. I also like the way that aside from the big three (Cap, Thor and Iron Man), the teams have often been drawn from B-listers and lesser known heroes (until Bendis), gives them a chance for developement that oftens leads to their own series and new found popularity.

Sir John the Net Knight said:
Marvel characters are far more relatable, as they're more human and less...god like. Superman is like Hercules.
Funnily enough, Marvel's Hercules is more human than superman. He's brash, eager and not that smart, but also loyal and courageous to a fault. He makes a great team with Amadeus Cho, the 7th or 8th smartest person on earth, smart enough to stop a rhinocerous with grape by throwing it at the right angle.

Jul 11, 2008
well apart from Marvel's Wolverine and Deadpool, Topcow characters are waaaaay more badass.
especially Jackie Estacado who dies a bunch of times and is barely slowed down by it.
also Jackie kicked Batmans arse and Jackie's grandfather fought Wolverine to a draw.

warchief809

Jul 8, 2009
Mavel by a landslide

Characters are more relatable + they seem to develop characters better.

aso, deadpool's disregard of the fourth wall is hilarious!

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Kron_the_mad said:
well apart from Marvel's Wolverine and Deadpool, Topcow characters are waaaaay more badass.
especially Jackie Estacado who dies a bunch of times and is barely slowed down by it.
also Jackie kicked Batmans arse and Jackie's grandfather fought Wolverine to a draw.
Badass? Yes. But they're also shallow 90's antihero wannabes, I read through two volumes of The Darkness because I played the game and except for when Garth Ennis was writing, it was all pretty mediocre. And I should pretty tolerant of that sort of stuf, because I'm a huge Cable and X-force fan.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Yureina said:
I don't even know the difference between the two. They both are super-hero comic book companies, right? :eek:
Yeah. Basically, DC is Batman & Superman.
Marvel is X-men, Iron Man, Hulk and the ones in that universe.

Back to the old avatar, I see. =D

OT: I like Marvel personally.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Marter said:
Yureina said:
Yeah. Basically, DC is Batman & Superman.
Marvel is X-men, Iron Man, Hulk and the ones in that universe.

Back to the old avatar, I see. =D

OT: I like Marvel personally.
In that case, I think I'd prefer DC then because I like Batman. :eek:

[sub]Yup! Its less fuzzy now too! ^_^[/sub]

Lord Aronsworth

Jul 20, 2010
Country
USA
I like both, but Marvel more than DC.

Typically, Marvel characters have very human flaws, which give them depth. Sure, Bruce Wayne's parents were killed, and he decided to become Batman to rid the world of scum that would do that. But let's look at Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Uncle Ben--his father figure, his hero, his role model--is killed by a similar thug, but this time it's not just chance like it was for Bruce. No, this guy got to Uncle Ben because of Peter's own selfishness, his desire to get back at someone who wronged him. Tony Stark is an alcoholic. Hank Pym is a wife beater.

My favorite, however, is Doctor Stephen Strange. He was a highly skilled neurosurgeon. Top of the line. Simply put, it went to his head, and made him an arrogant bastard. He then gets into a car accident, and suffers severe nerve damage. His hands now useless, he searches desperately for someone who can repair his hands. His travels bring him to meet the Ancient One who ultimately teaches him the mystic arts, and eventually leads to Strange become planet Earth's Sorcerer Supreme. Basically, I like that fall Marvel heroes go through. He had to lose everything before he could become greater than he ever was. That line of thought has actually gotten me through some tough times in my life.

All that said, I do like Green Lantern, Batman and Watchmen.

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
I was never a fan of Marvel characters. On the other hand, I think DC has far more multidimensional characters with great psychological depth. A great example of this would be Batman; many Batman comics have succeeded in portraying Batman's fears and uncertainties in ways I have never seen in a Marvel comic. I just think DC is overall superior in fitting my own taste, although I can see perfectly fine why someone would prefer Marvel.