Marvel Won't Move Captain America 3 Release Date for Batman v Superman

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Unless Marvel loses some serious credibility before then, Cap will squash Superman V Batman. If DC has any sense at all, they will move the date on their movie, because I feel they are going to get embarrassed. I will only be going to see one of those movies that weekend, and without question it will be Cap 3.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Why would they? Marvel movies are steamrolling DC, and wasn't Cap 2 one of the most popular super-hero movies ever released? Cap 3 will beat the ever-loving pants off of Superman v Batman, of course Marvel doesn't want to move the date. If a competitor decides to release an inferior product on the same day, that's their bad decision.

Seriously, why are people surprised by this?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I totally expect Superman v Batman to win at the box office, while Captain America is considered a better movie. Although I am not thrilled about the job WB has made with their properties, I am more curious about a Justice League movie than about another Captain one, because one of them is a known quantity.

I will eventually see both, but modern Hollywood logic dictates a movie is successful if (and only if) it is successful in the first week.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
marvel studios only has marvel movies to make money. WB has got a ton of other franchises, not only DC. Só get off your high horses, marvel is the one with more to lose here.
of course it would be another thing if we were talking about Sony and spiderman here.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Well Actually it's a dangerous game either way if they ever play at the same time even if starting on different weeks.

A. they release the same day: the top seller "Wins" reviews be damned, week 2 based on reviews and audience appeal being swayed to one or the other if they rarely see movies (they'll wanna see the bigger/better one.)

B. releasing a few weeks apart: If these movies are as big as they expect they'll be out for a few weeks so unless they're at least 3 months apart there might be an overlap where you can say even if the first to release made more money on it's first weekend that the later one is #1 "This" weekend beating out the other. However going second to the other is a negative as well as mentioned not everyone goes to every movie they have an interest in seeing so why wait for one movie that's "like the other movie" when the first one is out already or I just say a comic/super hero movie I don't feel like watching another one so soon and/or etc.

So going head-to-head might be the best of a bad situation building up day to be bigger than it is meaning more people will wanna be in on it or take sides and get their friends/family in on it. Because you can only watch one of them first.

Personally I think I'll plan on seeing Captain America first if they are coming out the same day.

I can't really say which I think will come out on top what with movies Like T4: Age of Extinction getting low reviews but moderate audience ratings.

Cheesy Goodness

Aug 24, 2009
This video seemed very relevant and I agree completely.

Dear Hollywood - Captain America 3 Vs. Batman v Superman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTvBQE6cvVg

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Everything is in Marvel's favor.

Unlike DC, even if Captain America 3 totally bombs, they can absorb the hit and have multiple other brands. There's a reason they announced ELEVEN movies coming out from now. If one or two underperform, the rest can salvage it (like The Incredible Hulk... and even THAT made enough money to be profitable). If they win the weekend, then you have Marvel's solo Captain America beating DC's two top heroes combined. It would be a tough sell, sure, but we're living in an age where Iron Man 3 has made more money than any Batman film ever has and Captain America: The Winter Soldier left Man of Steel's gross behind in the dust (and Thor 2 came really close).

DC, on the other hand, has history against them. Man of Steel is still a "certified Rotten" movie with critics, despite making money, but it divided more than united DC fans and Superman fans. Apart from Batman (and his track record is iffy too), DC movies just haven't come close to the level of quality fans would expect. From Jonah Hex to Constantine to Catwoman to Green Lantern, DC has shockingly done little to match the quality of their animated Paul Dini/Bruce Timm universe.

DC has the most to lose. They put all their eggs in one basket. Nobody will care that much if Captain America 3 underperforms, since it's the third installment in a series and the other movies will be unaffected, but the ENTIRE DC universe in film apparently hinges on this one movie. Even if Batman v Superman: Dawn of Bad Subtitles isn't bad or even if it WINS, it's profit will still be undercut by another quality comic book movie the Marvel faithful will be eating up instead. It's a lost ticket every time a fan picks Captain America over Superman and Batman, and the vast majority will not go and see both the same weekend, if at all. If the cost of making this film just doesn't warrant the investment (and you bet it'll be uber-expensive), it hurts them long-term and it hurts their properties going forward long term, even if they gain a short-term victory.... IF.

Personally, I despised Man of Steel. And I say that as a passionate DC fan of the comics who grew up watching everything from the 40's Superman cartoons to the Superfriends to the modern Justice League.

But Captain America: The Winter Soldier was amazing.

A timeless, heroic, iconic hero of American truth and justice, trying to find his way in a modern, morally ambiguous world of tough choices without compromising his integrity... The Winter Soldier was a far better "Superman" movie than Man of Steel was.

I know which movie I'll be seeing that weekend.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think that the BvS movie will do well. Though will it make enough to be a success in the eyes of WB? I dont know. Itll make its money back and will make a good profit. But i dont think it will be a blockbuster that screams sequel. An WB really need this movie to be a major success especially as its setting up JL and also new character like wonder woman. If BvS fails (in the eyes of WB) will that ruin a Wonder Women movie? Will they reboot Superman and Batman again? They have a lot riding on this movie. Whereas with Cap 3 it is its own movie and if it didnt do that well its not going to impede the Avengers movies or the other Avengers solo movies.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I don't really see why this is such a big deal. Both of those films are going to make disgusting amounts of money over the course of their run in cinemas. It's not like they're both only coming out for one day. Aside from that, the 'opeing weekend importance' is surely less of a big deal with both of these properties. 'Avengers' and 'TDKR' didn't clar a billion in their first weekends, I really doubt either studio cares that much, they know they have several weeks of fat paydays coming in the weeks after these release.

And I for one am glad they're both out the same day. That is going to be quite the double-bill. It will be a good day.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
My only question here is why do we assume Captain America 3 would move for Batman v Superman? Batman v Superman is the underdog here. They are the ones who should be afraid.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
No one should assume that. The fact is, Marvel already had scheduled the date and announced it as "TBA Marvel Cinematic Universe Film" when BvS DOJ moved from its previous date near the opening of Ant Man to be on the same date as Capt. America.

This was a purposeful move on DC's part. All Marvel did was fill in their title later.

I will see Captain America in the theater. I will likely wait for DoJ on DVD and borrow it from the library like I did Man Of Steel. And I really don't regret that decision.
I may never pay DC another dime after so many disappointments from them since New 52 began.

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
DrOswald said:
My only question here is why do we assume Captain America 3 would move for Batman v Superman? Batman v Superman is the underdog here. They are the ones who should be afraid.
I suppose maybe because Captain America is such a nice guy? I.E. he wouldn't want to beat up a weakling franchise on their big opening weekend even though they're after a piece of his market.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
From what I can tell, by how successful the Marvel movies have been, Captain America has become very well known, and it seems people know him as well as Super Man or Batman. So I wonder, even though Batman and Superman are well known, with Captain America becoming more well known and audiences loving the movies, have they lost their iconic status advantage? If it was against Captain America 2, they might've had an advantage since people only knew him from the first movie and the Avengers, but Cap 2 seemed to have gotten people really interested in his story, and with him having one more movie appearance before Cap 3, people will have motivation to want to see what happens to him.

This is only from a small number of people I know, but if this was the general reaction from most of the audience, I wonder if Batman v Superman movie will have any iconic status advantage.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Fancy Pants said:
I didn't think Captain America was much of a celebrity. Maybe it's an American thing. I would think anything with Batman in it would garner much more attention.
Captain America doesn't do too well on his own in Argentina. Check out these attendance figures:

Captain America: The First Avenger - 561,341
Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 806,135

Compare that to...

The Dark Knight Rises - 1,807,171

Iron Man on the other hand is just as popular, because he doesn't carry the jingo thing Cap does.

Iron Man 3 - 1,860,750

Marvel's Avengers, on the other hand...

The Avengers - 2,675,356

And just for fun...

Man of Steel - 716,286