Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 15: "Yes Men" Recap

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 15: "Yes Men" Recap

?He knows.?

Read Full Article

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
The concept of Loreli's seduction of me brought a lot of questions to mind. Does it work on gay men or lesbian women? What about transgendered individuals who are in transition or post-transition?

As for the episode, it was alright. Interested to see which side May is playing for.

wiz828

Nov 30, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
As always this show gets your hopes up with closer tie-ins to the films then quickly squashes them with another dull episode.
There really is just no pleasing some people...

Also Bob, you are truly holding AoS to an unfair standard. Thor walks around the helicarrier in his "Renaissance Faire Asgardian armor" in The Avengers and you have no problem with it, Sif does it on AoS and you ***** and moan about it. Yes, it doesn't look as good on TV as it does in the movies, but that is UNAVOIDABLE. Hell, even Game of Thrones doesn't look as good as Lord of the Rings as far as production values go, but I don't hear anyone complain about that.

I'm just so sick and tired of people applying a double standard to this show. This was one of its best episodes yet. It had some of the best action moments we see on Network TV. It has a ton of fanservice in namedrops, MCU references and even non-MCU comic references. And it has the amazing Jamie Alexander as a guest star, wtf more do people want?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Andrew Siribohdi said:
The concept of Loreli's seduction of me brought a lot of questions to mind. Does it work on gay men or lesbian women? What about transgendered individuals who are in transition or post-transition?

As for the episode, it was alright. Interested to see which side May is playing for.
Valid question...

It IS good to see more universe-building, because the show still feels like an afterthought to the main Marvel universe and movies. But they're going to need to start giving bigger and better rewards quicker to fans for their patience.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I will have to agree with Bob's previous statements, I'm getting tired of Skye being so special and everyone always thinking about her. It's really starting to rub me the wrong way. Ward's getting kind of cliché and annoying, too. Fitz and Simmons are still promising, since nothing's really been done with them aside from going back to school. As for Mei... she needs to get a personality soon, or I'm giving up on her too.

I still see a lot of promise in the show and am excited to watch it every week. I am hoping this season was just putting feelers out and since it's doing so well they'll up the production values for next year. And start brining in more movie characters and references. That would really make it feel like a cohesive world.

That said, I know the season kind of has been one long trailer for The Winter Soldier and SHIELD going rogue, so I really hope the last few(?) episodes really start tying some things up and linking up with the upcoming movie more. Not that I want it to stay a trailer to the next Marvel movie, I really ant them to be a full extension of the universe with things moving from one medium to the next.

Edit to add - I hope they add more regular cast members to the show next year. I'd like to see a few more people on the 'bus' all the time. Another field agent or two, and maybe another (I hate to say it this way) 'sciency' character as Fitz and Simmons are getting pretty Mary Sueish in their ability to do work in every branch of the sciences that exists, and especially as advanced as the work they do is.

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Look, it's Wonder woman.... wait... no, this isn't DC.

Huh....

Did Marvel just beat DC in making a live action Wonder woman work?

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
wiz828 said:
Kumagawa Misogi said:
As always this show gets your hopes up with closer tie-ins to the films then quickly squashes them with another dull episode.
There really is just no pleasing some people...

Also Bob, you are truly holding AoS to an unfair standard. Thor walks around the helicarrier in his "Renaissance Faire Asgardian armor" in The Avengers and you have no problem with it, Sif does it on AoS and you ***** and moan about it. Yes, it doesn't look as good on TV as it does in the movies, but that is UNAVOIDABLE. Hell, even Game of Thrones doesn't look as good as Lord of the Rings as far as production values go, but I don't hear anyone complain about that.

I'm just so sick and tired of people applying a double standard to this show. This was one of its best episodes yet. It had some of the best action moments we see on Network TV. It has a ton of fanservice in namedrops, MCU references and even non-MCU comic references. And it has the amazing Jamie Alexander as a guest star, wtf more do people want?
How dare people not be satisfied with this mediocre, lacklustre and drab cash-in?

I'm not sure, maybe because a show isn't always as great as the sum of its parts. Even if it looks good in paper we're just watching pale imitations of Buffy+Avengers stiff their way around in a bland world that fails to engage me in any way. Using a name here and there, or creating some tv-show frankenfreak by sewing on different parts of comic-book arcs, doesn't necessarily constitute a great show. Especially when it has neither the heart, political commentary or depth of the comic-book arcs they try to emulate.

I had fairly low expectations, given that it's a Joss Whedon and American TV, but this show STILL managed to disappoint.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
INTERIOR: THE BUS

SIF: LORELAI has the power to utterly charm all men with a word or a touch
COULSON: We'd better send only women when we take down LORELAI and her BIKER GANG

CREDITS

Hevach

Dec 18, 2013
wiz828 said:
He said it was silly and there's no way to make it not silly. In his Avengers video review he called it preposterous and in his Thor video he called it absurd.

This seems to be the same standard to me. It's not complaining, it's not saying it's bad, it's just a point he makes a lot. He's made this point a lot with comics in general a lot - that the whole thing is quite silly and if you don't just go with it you'll go cross eyed trying to make sense of what is ultimately a huge pile of nonsense.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Novaova said:

COULSON: We'd better send only women when we take down LORELAI and her BIKER GANG

CREDITS
Or at least send the men with orders to stun first and ask questions later. Seriously, when Ward just held the gun on her I banged my head on the table going STUPID STUPID STUPID.

trytoguess

Jun 18, 2012
IndomitableSam said:
I will have to agree with Bob's previous statements, I'm getting tired of Skye being so special and everyone always thinking about her. It's really starting to rub me the wrong way. Ward's getting kind of cliché and annoying, too. Fitz and Simmons are still promising, since nothing's really been done with them aside from going back to school. As for Mei... she needs to get a personality soon, or I'm giving up on her too.
What "Skye is special" moments did we have in this episode? Closest I can recall Skye telling Coulson that she's not going to be too concerned about the alien serum because there's already too many mysteries in her life.

Redd the Sock said:
r at least send the men with orders to stun first and ask questions later. Seriously, when Ward just held the gun on her I banged my head on the table going STUPID STUPID STUPID.
Yep, and they could've solved this plot issue by having Lorelei say "hi" to Ward while he wasn't looking at her or something. Ah well.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
MovieBob said:
Sif is surprised to see Coulson alive, and reveals that Thor doesn't know he's alive either - a secret Coulson asks her to continue keeping. Okay, at some point they really need to explain how the "secret" part of this works. He gets to walk around in public, talk to associates and suspects, etc... no one has managed to snap a photo of him that's gotten back to any of The Avengers yet? Not even Heimdall, evidently, has noticed him up and about?
Wait... what if Heimdall is the Clairvoyant?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Sylocat said:
MovieBob said:
Sif is surprised to see Coulson alive, and reveals that Thor doesn't know he's alive either - a secret Coulson asks her to continue keeping. Okay, at some point they really need to explain how the "secret" part of this works. He gets to walk around in public, talk to associates and suspects, etc... no one has managed to snap a photo of him that's gotten back to any of The Avengers yet? Not even Heimdall, evidently, has noticed him up and about?
Wait... what if Heimdall is the Clairvoyant?
If the Clairvoyant cannot see Coulson, perhaps Heimdall cannot as well?

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
Redd the Sock said:
Novaova said:

CREDITS
Or at least send the men with orders to stun first and ask questions later. Seriously, when Ward just held the gun on her I banged my head on the table going STUPID STUPID STUPID.
You took the words right out of my mouth. OR since her main weapon is her voice, give the guys some EARPLUGS. Hello?!

I don't buy that they wouldn't be able to rustle up enough female agents on short notice, and even if they didn't have enough in the area, surely there's some cops nearby they could have recruited for the occasion.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Um did you watch a different episode than I did? This was the best episode so far because it finally did what people had been expecting this series to do. Have its own stories but still tie back to The Avengers in a more significant way then simply name drops. Seriously giving side characters or more minor characters from the movies episodes to themselves is a great idea. Lady Sif showing up and kicking ass on the small screen was awesome and made for some good television. Though I still think Arrow is better than this show.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Novaova said:

CREDITS
To be fair, they figured this out the second time. When everyone stormed the room in Vegas, they're all female save for Coulson. I thought at first they made the same mistake, but you can hear their voices and they're female. Also, one of the girls walks by the camera with her back turned and you can see her hair tied up in a bun.

I have to admit, I was really disappointed by this episode. I liked last week's better because it was building on a plot and creating its own Marvel Universe moment and lore, but still keeping it together. This one just felt like them going, "Oh hey, look! We finally managed to get one of the movie characters on our show for the fans!" The moment at the end, with May, Skye, and Coulson, was much more interesting to me than the whole thing with the Asgard girls.

Did anyone else at least get a little upset when they revealed the Icers? Boy, I bet those two guys who were just doing their job in the last episode would have really appreciated that. Oh, wait, they can't, because the Team gunned them down. And then hearing Coulson yell at Fitz that those two men died to protect that secret just makes it worse. The Team had at least two Icer guns already, and yet they didn't even consider using them.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
To be fair, they figured this out the second time.
I figured it out the first time, and I'm not even a world-class super-spy, super-agent, super-scientist, or super-hacker. They looked like imbeciles.