Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Episode 15: "Yes Men" Recap

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Most likely May is chatting with Nick Fury, remember, he "Moved Heaven and Earth" to save Coulson....he ain't putting a watchdog on the Bus? Yeah, it's going to turn out to be Fury and that our plucky heroes are a part of Nick's insurance policy against a hostile/corrupting takeover of SHIELD.....just like fans have been guessing from the beginning.

Also, YAY KREE! Gotta love those fanatical, totally-not-a-play-on-ancient-Rome aliens and their giant brain leader. Because with great Kree comes great responsibility to bring in Captain/Ms. Marvel! (God she was cheap as hell in M:UA2)

EDIT: And who else noticed the 1% badge on 'Rooster', the biker leader? Seriously....that's a thing? Like, I thought that was made-up bullshit for that godawful game. But...grown men actually wear that? On purpose?

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
JaredXE said:
EDIT: And who else noticed the 1% badge on 'Rooster', the biker leader? Seriously....that's a thing? Like, I thought that was made-up bullshit for that godawful game. But...grown men actually wear that? On purpose?
Time for a history lesson with Novaova!

Way back in the day, in the late 60's or early 70's, motorcycling had an image problem in the United States, due mostly to the negative press around the Hell's Angels and the spate of "Evil motorcyclists terrorize remote desert village" movies. The American Motorcycling Association (AMA) had an ad campaign themed around informing the public that these criminal bikers represented only 1% of all riders, and that the other 99% were ordinary law-abiding people. The outlaw bikers adopted that "one-percenter" label as a badge of honor and a sarcastic retort to the AMA.

See also Honda's "you meet the nicest people on a Honda" ad campaign, of the same vintage.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I bet Skye is Loreli's half daughter, or niece, or something linking back to her to explain why everybody loves her.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
K.ur said:
And still nobody sees fitz going bad scientist?
Oooo! Now that would be fun! Fitz becoming the Fixer! Now all we need is either a Mentallo, or a few more people like Blizzard and such to start setting up the Thunderbolts on screen.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
Andrew Siribohdi said:
The concept of Loreli's seduction of me brought a lot of questions to mind. Does it work on gay men or lesbian women? What about transgendered individuals who are in transition or post-transition?
They way I always interpreted it is that it works on what you are attracted to. If you are a gay man... Loreli's power and similar doesn't work. Lesbian women however it does work on.

To me it is an increase in natural attraction types and is not exactly tied to gender.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
JaredXE said:
Most likely May is chatting with Nick Fury, remember, he "Moved Heaven and Earth" to save Coulson....he ain't putting a watchdog on the Bus? Yeah, it's going to turn out to be Fury and that our plucky heroes are a part of Nick's insurance policy against a hostile/corrupting takeover of SHIELD.....just like fans have been guessing from the beginning.

Also, YAY KREE! Gotta love those fanatical, totally-not-a-play-on-ancient-Rome aliens and their giant brain leader. Because with great Kree comes great responsibility to bring in Captain/Ms. Marvel! (God she was cheap as hell in M:UA2)

I gotta give the Kree this: when they invade you, you KNOW it's them! Unlike those sniveling cowards, the Skrulls. Shapeshifting to manipulate others into doing their dirty work or set others against each other. That is a coward's strategy!
OT: I liked this episode, and I say the more Asgard, the merrier! I demand another! [whips coffee mug to ground] It's unfair to compare the visual quality of a TV show to a movie, so just lay off that. Hopefully we'll get some tying in to Winter Soldier in April.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
JaredXE said:
And who else noticed the 1% badge on 'Rooster', the biker leader? Seriously....that's a thing? Like, I thought that was made-up bullshit for that godawful game. But...grown men actually wear that? On purpose?
I come from a family of bikers, including a couple great-uncles who were part of small-time criminal clubs, and I can confirm that yeah, the 1% badge is a thing. That said, it's usually less about thinking of yourself as a criminal badass and more about a sort of pseudo-anarcho-nihilist-existential-whoa-dude worldview. Essentially, one-percenter MCs follow their own code of honor separate from the actual law, but with the same sort of strict enforcement and stigma for breaking it. To put it in pop-culture terms, it's less modern, amoral, gun-running Sons of Anarchy and more '60s anarchist ubermenschian Sons of Anarchy.

Easier to just like motorcycles and follow the goddamn law, but eh. People do their thing.

OT: Kinda divided on this episode. The action was well-executed and it's certainly cool to see Lady Sif again, but I've never liked the whole "evil seductress who can magically control men's minds because men are just inherently slaves to their dongs" thing. It wasn't any better the last time Joss Whedon did it in Angel, with Billy and his whole "magically awakening the inherent misogyny that ABSOLUTELY ALL MEN EVAR HAVE" schtick.

That, and I really don't want Mei to turn out evil. She's too fucking awesome.

Safaia

Sep 24, 2010
Nice of them to brush off that Lorelei and Ward doing it was creepy as fuck.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
Master_of_Oldskool said:
JaredXE said:
If we stay inside the cpt. america reasoning, i do not think mei is going evil.
If Fury himself ordered Coulsons treatment and she knows about it while the Clairvoyant does not,
that means she is not on CENTIPEDES side.
I guess that she called Fury or whoever is working with him.
It definitely will create heavy tension in the team if (rather when) this comes out, but I would not put Mei on the evil side.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Hiramas said:
Master_of_Oldskool said:
JaredXE said:
If Fury himself ordered Coulsons treatment and she knows about it while the Clairvoyant does not,
It definitely will create heavy tension in the team if (rather when) this comes out, but I would not put Mei on the evil side.
No kidding. "You mean to tell me that you had Nick Fury on speed dial this whole time?!"

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
K.ur said:
I think he's gonna end up being The Wizard. Pretty much all of the Wizard's tricks have been introduced on the show and Fitz has access to em all and can make some of his own.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
With the terrible scheduling (even worse here in Oz) and lacklustre episodes I had just about given up on this show...but Brad Douriff? I'm back in, for one episode at least.

Lhianon

Aug 28, 2011
may i point out that Sifs shoes are neither appropriate for renaisance fairs nor swordfighting?
seriously, trying to parry any weapon larger than a short sword with thoose shoes would make you loose balance really fast, in conjuntion with her "breastplate" (smarter people than me have disected the problems with thoose things, long story short, they are a grave danger to your survival in a combat scenario) this makes it really hard to believe the charakter as presented is actually a warrior that has fought in dozens of wars throughout the centuries.
which i find sad, i really want to like her :-(

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
thetoddo said:
K.ur said:
I think he's gonna end up being The Wizard. Pretty much all of the Wizard's tricks have been introduced on the show and Fitz has access to em all and can make some of his own.
Wizard is probably tied to the Fantastic Four license and would be over at Fox. He is more known as a FF villain and the more or less leader of the Frightful Four. Whereas Fixer originated in "Nick Fury Agent of Shield" alongside Mentallo, and his origin is basically genius SHIELD tech who went rogue and mercenary. Plus he has the whole redemption character arc where he goes from villain to hero with the Thunderbolts.

Lhianon

Aug 28, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Lhianon said:
may i point out that Sifs shoes are neither appropriate for renaisance fairs nor swordfighting?
seriously, trying to parry any weapon larger than a short sword with thoose shoes would make you loose balance really fast, in conjuntion with her "breastplate" (smarter people than me have disected the problems with thoose things, long story short, they are a grave danger to your survival in a combat scenario) this makes it really hard to believe the charakter as presented is actually a warrior that has fought in dozens of wars throughout the centuries.
which i find sad, i really want to like her :-(
Meh, she's a comic book character - it's not meant to look overly practical. At least it's designed to look like an awesome warrior and not a chainmail bikini.

There's also the in-universe explanation that she's an Asgardian, with her armour made of Asgardian metal (her shield deflected a shotgun blast in the episode) - so the balance, weight and protectiveness are all going to be a lot better.
see, in a comic book i kind of can accept thoose designs because it is entirely fictional, however, in a live action movie or tv show, where a real actress has to wear the clothes/shoes it breaks the immersion for me. the fact that asgardian metal is harder than the metals we utilize on earth actually reinforces the problem of a "breastplate"; essentially you are pointing a wedge right at the middle of your ripcage.
i was probably not clear enough in my first post, i want to like the "Sif"-charakter, especially in light of DCs inability to make their plethora of female charakters work, so i put high hopes in Marvel to demonstrate how you could possibly do it without completely droping the ball. i realize the costume is a minor problem from this perspective since most writers still struggle to write a good female charakter instead of some kind of stereotype, but on the other hand, many male charakters are also not writen as persons, so i chalk that up to bad authors writing bad charakters.

i apologize for gramatical or orthographic errors, english is not my first language.

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
This show's problem is a lack of ambition. Not ambition in tying to the Marvel universe, but ambition in pure cinematic terms: pedestrian cinematography, lack of characterization, and repeated situations, i.e. two characters talk, then actio scene, then exposition, then awkward emotion. It's not the 1990s anymore.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
Hiramas said:
Master_of_Oldskool said:
JaredXE said:
No kidding. "You mean to tell me that you had Nick Fury on speed dial this whole time?!"
Fury or Alexander Pierce.
This could be a good way to ease him in.
But i'm still going with Fury.
Also it makes sense for Fury to keep a tap on his invesment.

Also, this means that Fury and the hidden lab are not on the radar of the Clairvoyant.
So the Clairvoyant doesn't seem to be that omniscient.

Maybe i'm lookng to deep in plotholes, but if the Clairvoyant hase shield mainframe access, how come he didn't find the base?
fitz did it just by looking at travel expenses.

And why didn't tell Coulson Simmons that if they put the cure on te mainframe the Clairvoyant will find out.
By telling her off like he did, she will get fed up by it and do it regartless.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
I'm not exactly sure what this show promised to people before airing or what it was meant to be according to fans but it's just like any other show.. if you don't like it, don't watch it?

I highly doubt not watching will cause any serious continuity issues with the movies.

I love this show, I didn't read up about it beforehand or watch trailers or anything like that, I just tuned into episode 1 and haven't missed one since.

Personally, It's one of only a few shows I look forward to every week.

If it isn't what you thought it was going to be, whining about it isn't going to change anything, it is what it is.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Whatislove said:
I'm not exactly sure what this show promised to people before airing or what it was meant to be according to fans but it's just like any other show.. if you don't like it, don't watch it?

I highly doubt not watching will cause any serious continuity issues with the movies.

I love this show, I didn't read up about it beforehand or watch trailers or anything like that, I just tuned into episode 1 and haven't missed one since.

Personally, It's one of only a few shows I look forward to every week.

If it isn't what you thought it was going to be, whining about it isn't going to change anything, it is what it is.
Thats true, but they also make sure watching it doesn't either.

From the start i expected NCIS: Marvel, and i must say they do deliver on that.
I do like the show, but i also feel it's missing something.

And i think people were expecting Iron-Man, Thor, Cap or .... to show up at some point.
although that would be awesome and not entirely out of the question, i don't think that's realistic.
at least not structural.
But i do think the show can improve from a little stronger connection with the rest of Marvel.
(More than just name dropping any way).

With the mid credits scenes, the gauntlet(thor), a hologram of the tesseract (iron-man 2) and a coulple more, Marvel has shown they know how to connect movies