Marvel's L0Ki Discussion Thread

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Covid shmovid. These "shows" (cheapo third tier movies hacked up into six parts) are just keeping the seats warm while Disney conserves the energy for game day.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So do we think that perhaps the TVA is working for Kang the Conqueror? I just watched a moviebob clip about Kang, who is apparently slated for phase 4, and given what his story is, and what I've heard the TVA's goal is, it sounds like he might be the founder of the organization or whatever. Outsourcing his efforts to make sure his timeline is the one that persists.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So do we think that perhaps the TVA is working for Kang the Conqueror? I just watched a moviebob clip about Kang, who is apparently slated for phase 4, and given what his story is, and what I've heard the TVA's goal is, it sounds like he might be the founder of the organization or whatever. Outsourcing his efforts to make sure his timeline is the one that persists.

Thoughts?
Some Lego set was released that apparently spoils a big character appearance in Loki, wouldn't be surprised if it was Kang.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Replace the TVA's "lizard people" with billionaires, and I would agree with the two Lokis.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm pretty sure that every movie that doesn't have Avenger in the title
Yeah, but movies get movie budgets. The series get the budget of a last minute arts and craft show-and-tell spread thin like a double-spaced Font Size 21 essay. The Ant-Man sequel got more money. The next Ant Man sequel will probably get more money.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Thoughts?
Apparently Ravonna Renslayer(Mobius's Boss) is canonically Kangs GF in the comics, so make of that what you will.

Honestly, the only reason I know half the shit I do about this is because Moviebob does Comic Deep dives into shit like this and it's the only reason I occasionally watch him at this point.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Apparently Ravonna Renslayer(Mobius's Boss) is canonically Kangs GF in the comics, so make of that what you will.

Honestly, the only reason I know half the shit I do about this is because Moviebob does Comic Deep dives into shit like this and it's the only reason I occasionally watch him at this point.
Yeah same. I mean I watch his stuff fairly regularly, but the deep dives on comics are hit or miss with me. I find lately I just don't care enough about a lot of the stuff he covers (because it's what Marvel is putting out) to watch a video. But I rewatched that one, and the whole time traveling thing to secure his timeline, did sound a lot like what I've heard from the show, about the TVA.

So this Ravonna Renslayer is in the Loki show? That's honestly the first time I've heard that name, and I don't watch the show. But yeah, if that person is in the show, I think that's pretty good indication that this is connective tissue for Kang in the upcoming movies.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah same. I mean I watch his stuff fairly regularly, but the deep dives on comics are hit or miss with me. I find lately I just don't care enough about a lot of the stuff he covers (because it's what Marvel is putting out) to watch a video. But I rewatched that one, and the whole time traveling thing to secure his timeline, did sound a lot like what I've heard from the show, about the TVA.

So this Ravonna Renslayer is in the Loki show? That's honestly the first time I've heard that name, and I don't watch the show. But yeah, if that person is in the show, I think that's pretty good indication that this is connective tissue for Kang in the upcoming movies.
Well, I've seen a number of people suggest she's the one actually running the TVA and the Timekeepers are either fake or dead(because nobody has actually seen or met them, but everyone's sure they're out there running things). That would dovetail nicely.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, but movies get movie budgets. The series get the budget of a last minute arts and craft show-and-tell spread thin like a double-spaced Font Size 21 essay. The Ant-Man sequel got more money. The next Ant Man sequel will probably get more money.
Which show do you think had the best effects?

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
That's a staple of...well, pretty much any story that has weird ass powers and abilities. They flipflop around at the writer's whim, to fit the story.
There's a reason I'm a fan of Worm, UNSONG, and Ra. If the powers or the rules seem to flipflop in those, the reader is expected to respond with "This doesn't make sense, so either what I think is happening is not happening, or my understanding of the rules is flawed in a likely plot relevant way."

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Some Lego set was released that apparently spoils a big character appearance in Loki, wouldn't be surprised if it was Kang.
but Marvel has already said no new major characters will be introduced in the TV shows. They're not going to introduce Kang, the next big bad for Avengers movies, in like the 4th episode of a subscription locked Tv show with a TV show budget. That's the shit they save for the movie stingers.
Plus given what Marvel has done in the past, completely rewriting characters and changing them completely, I wouldn't be surprised if Kang the Conquer ends up being like a stand-up comedian or just some dude in Guardians 3. They did that to the Mandarin in Iron man 3, and to the multiverse in Spiderman 2.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
There's a reason I'm a fan of Worm, UNSONG, and Ra. If the powers or the rules seem to flipflop in those, the reader is expected to respond with "This doesn't make sense, so either what I think is happening is not happening, or my understanding of the rules is flawed in a likely plot relevant way."
I do not know what those 3 things are, but I'm glad they make an effort to have their stuff be consistent :LOL:

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I do not know what those 3 things are, but I'm glad they make an effort to have their stuff be consistent :LOL:
All three are written fiction.

Worm is rationalfic about supers. That's about all I can say about it without being too spoilery. https://parahumans.wordpress.com

UNSONG has a setting where world history is more or less the same until Nixon at which point the crystal sphere around the earth that the sky is projected on is broken by the early space program, damaging the machinery that runs the world and letting the divine light (and with it angels, demons and magic in two kinds - one based on speaking divine Names and the other on essentially putting on a good enough show to convince the universe that what you're doing is magic) back in - in it everything is a metaphor for everything because everything is like a funhouse mirror reflection of the underlying secret structure of creation, and as a result once you get used to the way of thinking Aaron Smith-Teller (one of the protagonists and also the narrator) and Uriel keep using to tease out Kabbalistic meanings from things you can easily go full epileptic trees, the world is fractal, it's metaphors all the way down and usually be right. Hell, Aaron Smith-Teller's name has at least a quadruple meaning, that I know of. Anything really mysterious that happens usually gives you all the pieces needed to understand it either before or shortly after it happens, though often they weren't obvious (it wasn't until a reread that I realized why Sarah was in the motel room or the full implications of Aaron going where he did when he escaped Ngo). The entire thing is also a loose reinterpretation of Blake, and multiple series of events that happen can also be readily matched against Miss American Pie, because everything is a metaphor for everything and it's not a coincidence because nothing ever is. https://unsongbook.com

Ra's premise is that a retired physicist accidentally discovers magic at the start of the 70s, and 30 years later it's an accepted branch of science and engineering. But some things happen that should definitely be impossible, which leads to the whole rabbit hole of what's really going on. One of the earliest big hints is in the form of the text justification on the site. It's written by the same guy who came up with the SCP-055, There Is No Antimemetics Division and Five Five Five Five Five on the SCP wiki. https://qntm.org/ra

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
All three are written fiction.

Worm is rationalfic about supers. That's about all I can say about it without being too spoilery. https://parahumans.wordpress.com
If you like more realistic takes on supers, you should check out the Super Powereds novel series by Drew Hayes. It's really good, and puts a lot of effort into trying to rationally consider how everyday life would change if a huge % of the population had super powers. I've often compared the overall plot to My Hero Academia, in that it's about a group of kids who are attending Hero School, but it's college, instead of highschool. So there are more mature elements to the story than you get in that anime. If you've ever been like "Gosh I really like MHA, but I wish it wasn't so super silly (most of the time) and filled with anime slapstick." Then Super Powereds is probably right up your alley.

It's REALLY fucking good. I can't praise it enough. Actually , pretty much every book by Drew Hayes that I've read is awesome. His Spells, Swords, and Stealth novel series, which is an homage/love letter to tabletop roleplaying games like D&D, is equally fucking awesome. And I consider it a mandatory read for anyone who enjoys playing those types of roleplaying games.

Reactions: Schadrach

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So I know this is kinda of dumb complaint considering the show but what's what the file binders full of papers? I know it looks "cool" in a retro sort of way, but these guys have computers(even if they have tiny-ass little screens) and time travel tech, but somehow the best way to file reports is to have a bunch of loose paperwork stuffed into binders? Like, if they handwaved that paper is less likely to get messed up by time travel/multiverse changes because they're using magic anti-change paper or something, I could kinda see it, but instead all I'm thinking is "You know, searching for problems in space time and seeing what apocalypses lokis are hiding in would be a hell of a lot easier if they could do computerized searches and not flipping through hundreds of files". Like you guys are literally dealing with the entire timeline of the entire universe, so yeah, having loose leaf file binders seems beyond fucking stupid from an efficiency viewpoint.

I know Mobius commented in the first episode that the paperwork is a pain but I didn't realize he meant literal bunches of paperwork.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
I've often compared the overall plot to My Hero Academia, in that it's about a group of kids who are attending Hero School, but it's college, instead of highschool. So there are more mature elements to the story than you get in that anime.
So, what The Magicians is to Harry Potter?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So, what The Magicians is to Harry Potter?
I guess? Never watched the magicians beyond the pilot. But I'm pretty sure the novels get more mature than a scifi level show. I recall the plot elements being really dumb in Magicians? Super Powereds takes things way more seriously. I mean it's still funny and light hearted at times, but I don't recall any storylines that involved an episode being a musical. :p

It's really really good. Probably my favorite "supers" storyline ever. He does an excellent job making the "real world" stuff feel legit and believable. You can see the way things played out and go "yeah, I can buy that, based on human nature." The way the school actually handles the training, and what the various goals are for the hero program, are equally well thought out and logical. Just, solid fucking work. I know I'm gushing over it, but it's really worthy of the gushing in my opinion.

Super Powereds, Year 1, by Drew Hayes, is the first novel. Give it a try on audible if you have a free credit, I think you will consider it a good investment.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So Loki.
Loki has a thing for Lady Loki, and she might have a thing for him. Sure okay. TBH I think its kinda sweet, but that's my emotional opinion. Here's my critical opinion: Why did they wait to introduce this plot element in episode 4 of 6? Its kinda like the only plot element in the show, everything else is inconsequential or deliberately misleading. I like that they're the star-crossed lovers, its very Shakespearean and a good reference to Kenneth Branagh. But imagine if they hadn't introduced Romeo and Juliet to each other until like Act 3. Its a little late in the game, things are winding down, the big ending is a few scenes away.
So to with Loki, the big ending, whatever it is, is 2 episodes and like 9 scenes away. Its a little late to be introducing the plot now.
Have Lady Loki break Loki out of the TVA in the end of episode 1 and let the chemistry begin. All this did was show the first 3.5 episodes were really just filler, and you can get away with that if you're Game of Thrones season 2 and have years to go, but not if you're a 6 episode miniseries.