Marvel's L0Ki Discussion Thread

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
What was the brief tiny character trapped underground in the first scene transition between the surface and underground bunker of void planet?

An image capture type jobbie with time stamp...

ezgif.com-gif-maker-17.jpg

It's stuck in a jar! Is it some fan reference thing?

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I thought this latest episode was the worst so far. Terrible writing and acting, to the point that I'm embarrassed. The hell was that?

They did absolutely nothing with alternate versions of Loki, and nothing with the concept of a world where other realities are sent to die. Pretty damn disappointing.

Where are all the aliens? Why is everything just earth and also specifically Asgardians? Bleh. Was hoping for more a fun ride of the Marvel universe.

Reactions: gorfias and Piscian

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I thought this latest episode was the worst so far. Terrible writing and acting, to the point that I'm embarrassed. The hell was that?

They did absolutely nothing with alternate versions of Loki, and nothing with the concept of a world where other realities are sent to die. Pretty damn disappointing.

Where are all the aliens? Why is everything just earth and also specifically Asgardians? Bleh. Was hoping for more a fun ride of the Marvel universe.
I think it meant to be SPECIFCIALLY only Lokis. It's probably that one good Loki that doesn't like being good and making all the other Loki's stay evil

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think it meant to be SPECIFCIALLY only Lokis. It's probably that one good Loki that doesn't like being good and making all the other Loki's stay evil
I don't think so. I mean, they pruned a whole WWII battleship and I don't see what that has to do with Loki. Everything else could just be a smokescreen just so specifically Lokis could get fucked over I guess. Whatever, they'd better have a damn good explanation for all of this.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I'm left very conflicted after this episode and about the series in general. For once the whole episode just felt very by the numbers. The dialog was also severely weaker than previous episodes. Everything I did like about the episode I felt they didn't do enough of.

In my head I literally thought "Sylvies gonna show up and theyll fight the cloud monster." about 5 minutes in if that.

Actually the only character I found compelling was old man Loki. I thought his powers were neat and on classic character. In general though I just found his self-aware mindset refreshing. The Loki's was cheap and felt lazy. There's 30 Loki's in a room and the most interesting thing they could come up with was a Loki fight with a bunch of extras. That scene was very disappointing for the hype around it.

I feel like they had some big ideas at the start, including the end of time land, but when they actually had to write out episode 5 the head writer was out sick. I think I was hoping for the show to get a little weirder and more metaphysical before it pooped out an ending. The dialog with the head of the TVA was really drab as well lacking any wit. It was like "betrayal betrayal betrayal , yeah we get it". Again I genuinely think whomever did the actual script for this episode phoned it in to hit a deadline.

Hoping something interesting happens in the final, but I feel pretty good about saying it will not be some big gotcha.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
I did not know this thread existed. I will be binge-reading everything. I'm a Loki fan (if that's not obvious with my pic...) And I loved the series so much! Let me just skittle back to the 1st page real quick.

Reactions: gorfias

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, I was hoping for a lot more from this episode and the series in general. It feels like their is a ton of interesting ideas here and the writers are barely using any of them. I want to blame the short running time(6 episodes) but honestly it doesn't feel like the series is using the time they have very welll either so I'm not sure giving them more time to accomplish little would do anything to help.

Really, this series feels like it's copying Dr. Who half the time, but Dr. Who was often more interesting then this when it was firing on all cylinders. It was silly and often stupid, but I was more invested despite that. Here I keep waiting for something really interesting to happen and I'm honestly still waiting.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oh, a Thor Frog, huh...thanks for clearing that up somewhat!
I like giving explanations that don't actually explain anything. But if you must know, Throg is not Thor as a frog.

Ok, so ... footballer player loses wife and kid in tragic accident. Football player seeks help from witch to contact family in the beyond. Witch demands payment, dude can't pay. Witch punishes dude by turning him into a frog. Unable to reverse curse, frogdude come to live in Central Park with other frogs. There he eventually meets Thor, who was at that point also turned into a frog by Loki or whoever. Doesn't matter. Frogdude and frog Thor team up to defeat a baddy. During the battle, a small piece of Mjolnir breaks off. Frogdude finds piece after frog Thor has left. Because frogdude is worthy, he can pick it up and gains Thor's powers. Frogdude becomes protector of Central Park as Throg, Frog God of Thunder.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I must admit that Im not really feeling this show, so far.

3 episodes in, and I feel like I am watching this out of habit, more than Im watching it because I want to.

Ah well, the second half of most shows is usually where things pick up
2 episodes later, and im still not really feeling this show.

Between WandaVision, and TFATWS, this is probably my least favourite of the MCU shows so far.

I really enjoy the chemistry between Loki and Mobius, and I think the music is really good - but otherwise, I just see a lot of wasted potential.

Sylvie is fun - but I don't think that her character is shaking things up as much as I would have liked her to. The multiple Lokis of the last episode were severely underutilised. There are entire episodes dedicated to big, setpiece moments, and I just don't really find them to be that interesting. The pace of the show is just really dull, too - there is just no energy or urgency to anything.

Also, is it just me, or are there moments when the acting is just really bad? It just really stood out to me, in the last episode.

Im just not really that invested. When I was watching WandaVision, which was similar in that it was one big mystery of "who is behind all of this?", I was really invested in finding out what is going on. Here, I honestly don't really care.

Im just not bothered.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I like giving explanations that don't actually explain anything. But if you must know, Throg is not Thor as a frog.
I roughly already knew his origins, but only now am I thinking, damn, Thor just left that dude as a frog? Even if he was a Thor frog, that's fricking cold.

Also, is it just me, or are there moments when the acting is just really bad? It just really stood out to me, in the last episode.
Nah it's not just you. My sister stopped watching after she couldn't take Tom Hiddleston's acting in the first episode, and she actually likes him as an actor. Renslayer and Sylvie are always the worst offenders, followed by Kid Loki who was completely unconvincing. I'm almost certain it's a directing thing, because the acting isn't always bad but inconsistent.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I roughly already knew his origins, but only now am I thinking, damn, Thor just left that dude as a frog? Even if he was a Thor frog, that's fricking cold.

Nah it's not just you. My sister stopped watching after she couldn't take Tom Hiddleston's acting in the first episode, and she actually likes him as an actor. Renslayer and Sylvie are always the worst offenders, followed by Kid Loki who was completely unconvincing. I'm almost certain it's a directing thing, because the acting isn't always bad but inconsistent.
I wouldn't say I feel the acting itself is that bad so much as I think the script is dull or maybe like Bob said it's a directorial issue. Yeah I was expecting Kid Loki to have at least a little more to say. I mean he's still "talks too much" Loki. This last episode especially just felt very single take whatever just get the lines done.

With Sylvie on the outset she had a very compelling character, but it's almost like as soon as they established her backstory they were like "ok and now for the rest of the episode you stand here and say the line that gets us to the next scene". What happened to the mischievous implacable assassin? We're just done? All this compelling dialog and mystique from the first two episodes just evaporated.

Since my original post they revealed the rest of the writers on IMDB. Just some random staff writers though one is credited on the upcoming Ms Marvel show.

I think I justify it to myself that this is just a comicbook show and that I shouldn't be too invested, I'm just disappointed because especially the first episode really wow'd me.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I wouldn't say I feel the acting itself is that bad so much as I think the script is dull or maybe like Bob said it's a directorial issue.
Oh it's definitely a writing issue as well. But I feel in general that Sylvie and Renslayer's actors just don't bring anything to the table.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Oh it's definitely a writing issue as well. But I feel in general that Sylvie and Renslayer's actors just don't bring anything to the table.
To be fair part of it is the nature of a tv show vs a full funded Marvel movie. In Femki's case, meaning no offense to the actress, if she was going to continue on after the show and have cameos in movies they would have hired a bigger named actress. Same with I dunno, Sam's sister Sarah, or Agatha. These are small side characters in already side tv shows with side plots that are basically just the opening credits to the next Marvel movies.
Femki's actresses doesn't have to give it her all, she has a few dozen lines in 5 episodes of a Disney+ series, not only not about her, but specifically about Tomki causing the multiverse.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
To be fair part of it is the nature of a tv show vs a full funded Marvel movie. In Femki's case, meaning no offense to the actress, if she was going to continue on after the show and have cameos in movies they would have hired a bigger named actress. Same with I dunno, Sam's sister Sarah, or Agatha. These are small side characters in already side tv shows with side plots that are basically just the opening credits to the next Marvel movies.
Femki's actresses doesn't have to give it her all, she has a few dozen lines in 5 episodes of a Disney+ series, not only not about her, but specifically about Tomki causing the multiverse.
Everything on Disney+ so far though has been premium TV. If this was a CW show, I wouldn't have batted an eye at Sylvie. But her sheer lack of charisma, especially alongside Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson, stands out. I just genuinely dislike her, not even for her actions or her motivations. Just because she's a bore to watch, she adds absolutely nothing to show despite being a main character.

I wonder if she was casted because all the budget went to Hiddleston and Wilson. Considering her large role on the show, she's very unknown (to me at least).