Maryland Declares Official Civilization V Day

essexfuzz

May 15, 2008
I'm a resident of Baltimore County, Maryland and as much as I love games, I think this is just ridiculous. Maybe that's because I have never played any of the Civ games, maybe it's because Martin O'Malley has f'ed up every decision he's made since he was elected. Either way, this is dumb.

Xiorell

Jan 9, 2010
I don't get it... doesn't being the 42nd smallest state make it also the 9th biggest state? Or 10th or whatever it is

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Plus our state fossil is the Ecphora gardnerae.

OT: Is this guy really the best thing to come out of Maryland(aside from seafood and old bay seasoning)?

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I like the civ games, but this is just flat-out stupid. First off, why would it be a holiday? It's just another day, and you won't be able to celebrate it ever again, and the majority of the population will just be confused. It's pointless and really just foolish in the end.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
The DSM said:
Thats pretty cool.

Are they going to act out a btalle from Civ or something?

And have Pikesmen stabbing tanks to death?

Stupid Pikesmen, killing my tanks somehow...
Only one explanation mate.

A wizard did it.

OT: This is.... interesting. Pointless like other users have said but interesting. At least I know when Civ 5 is coming out.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Jim Grim said:
21st of September? Why, that's my birthday!
Also, that's genuinely awesome.
Just so you know your parents probably conceived you on Valentine's day.

Just thought I'd ruin that holiday for you. Enjoy Civ day anyway, An unruinable holiday!

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I mean, this is nice and all, but will most of Maryland even know what Civilization (the game, that's not a snark) is?
Does it matter? Even if they don't, this will make it easier to spread knowledge about the game and gaming in general, which can only be a good thing.

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
Maryland resident here. This is actually kind of shocking. I mean, the only two awesome nerd things to come out of Maryland are Jim Henson and Otakon (which is this weekend.) pretty darn cool.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
This is pretty amazing! Everyone should get the day off to play Civ :p

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
And in other news, 2010 has been rechristened "The year of the Depend brand Adult Undergarment".

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
I think this makes Maryland the #1 best state, right? That's what I've been saying for eons.

WolfMage

May 19, 2008
lacktheknack said:
<link=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat>WHAT.

That's taking things a bit far, isn't it?
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
You've linked to TVTropes!
You've doomed us all!

Also, cool holiday.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Teach kids to play Civ for a day and then I'll consider this amazing (it's cool right now), seriously though, a class would be amazingly helpful to play the damn game

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
WolfMage said:
lacktheknack said:
<link=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat>WHAT.

That's taking things a bit far, isn't it?
WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
You've linked to TVTropes!
You've doomed us all!

Also, cool holiday.
It's been a very handy trap/revenge link. I'm glad you liked it.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
WOOT! Go Maryland! Yes *Happy that I live in the state*

OT: I don't really care for Civilization Games, but hey, if it gives us another holiday, I'll take it.

Thedayrecker

Jun 23, 2010
Hmmmmm..... the fuck?

On the other hand, it's nice to see someone in the government doing something that doesn't screw anyone.