Mass Effect 2 In The Works

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 2 In The Works

It's not exactly an Earth-shattering surprise, but the itinerary for the Xbox 360 [http://www.gdconf.com/] and PC, is in the works.

According to the GDC site, one of the sessions featured at the upcoming event will be "Electronic Arts [https://www.cmpevents.com/GD09/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=8854], sure is.

"This session examines the BioWare Mass Effect [http://masseffect.bioware.com/] team's new level-creation process, which is focused on maximizing iteration for quality while minimizing rework and cost," the site says. "This approach to building levels strives to integrate the Design, Art, and Production teams such that the highest-risk level-creation issues are addressed early in the development cycle. Lessons learned from Mass Effect lead to a detailed description of the new level-creation process, and graphical examples of a level illustrate its progression through the necessary phases. The discussion also examines how BioWare is currently implementing this process using elements of Scrum and Lean Development."

What does all that mean? Mass Effect 2 is coming! Stay tuned for details.

via: videogamer.com [http://www.videogamer.com/news/08-01-2009-10327.html]

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
I'm really looking forward to this game. I really loved the first one.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Already knew it was on the way, a friend of a friend is an Animator for Bioware and he let it slip a few months ago to my buddy. It's not like there was any doubt it was coming out though.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I never doubted there'd be another (sales for the first one were just too good) but it's definitely nice to see confirmation that it's under way. Yay!

-- Steve

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
DamienHell said:
Hurray, hope they shortened the elevator rides though.
Man I hated those damn elevator rides. Especially when I first started the game and didn't quite know my way around yet. I kept getting in those elevators trying to find my way around.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
What happened to all the DLC we where supposed to get, if i remember correctly this was supposed to be a big part of ME

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
thebobmaster said:
Sweet. I want it to come out soon, but I hope they don't rush it.
Agreed, I hope it's released with as a few bugs as possible. The last name was great.

Hey, bioware!

The inventory system in the last game needed to be reworked. I know it needed to be console-ified, but can the PC version pleeease be more mouse friendly and have the interface optimised?

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
That sounds like a lot of words for saying "Every bunker you find on every planet won't look exactly the same except with two dozen boxes arranged somewhat differently"...

ME was a fun game, but all the side quest levels sucked...

EDIT: Sorry, I ment "THE side quest level sucked..."

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
As long as they don't give us those HORRIFIC side quests and the TERRIBLE Mako again, I'm happy.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Kick ass. Mass effect was the first game in a while that had a really good ending. Hopefully Bioware will continue the tradition.

blarggles

Jan 18, 2008
Well we all know its planned as a trilogy. And it was announced ages ago they had already started work on it. Due out later this year apparently. Loads of other sites have already spoken to the devs though and got some info about it.

Can't wait myself. So many good games coming out this year though.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
*Begins happy dance, after having cursed the gods for no announcement last year and not bothering to check the BioWare website.

I liked the MAKO, just because it had a steep difficulty curve doesn't mean it was a bad control scheme. Of course, the similarities to the Scorpion tank in Halo helped.

Not being someone playing RPGs for twitch factor stimulation, I didn't mind elevator rides for the most part. They meant a good way of introducing sidequests (the news radio) and developing your party members. (See for example the "Who would win in a fight" conversation.) Really, the majority of elevator riding was optional.

What I'd like to see in the inventory management is wider detail area and multiple columns, with better grouping for items and more sorting options. I expect them to reuse the pre-fab planetside structures to a degree, because they make sense, but I'd like to see more variety; I hate to say it but the traditional way of doing that by section and texture like Oblivion's Ayleid ruins does offer some improvement.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
So it'll look and feel the same, but the actual story and content will be improved out of sight?

I wish more developers would do this. We've hit a point where we don't need to create a new engine every time a game comes out. They're all pretty enough. Now make them worth playing.