Mass Effect 2 In The Works

Nov 28, 2007
plastic_window said:
My only fear is that they don't go overboard with new characters. There will inevitably be more, maybe even some new races not included in the first, so long as Wrex and Garrus are back I don't care. And maybe Joker.
You forgot to mention a Quarian by the name of Tali'Zorah nar Rayya.

Straitjacketeering

Jan 3, 2009
I played the first and enjoyed it more every time I replayed it, I just hope that the game wont find a way to screw you over if you don't choose to import you old character.

Parallel Streaks

Jan 16, 2008
Kukul said:
Parallel Streaks said:
I'm just hoping for an OPTION to have a gay relationship, but that ain't gonna happen. Wanna know why? If we're sticking with Shepherd, then his sexuality was confirmed in the first game. If it wasn't he could have found but one bum-loving alien or HUMAN on one of the many pointless sidequests he embarked on.

And can I just say that a quote springs to mind, "A hero is only immortalized by the grandure of his death", at the end of ME the death was almost TOO perfect, Shepherd deserved to die like a hero. I mean, crushed by a giant evil space-ship from the Underworld of the Universe after fighting a semi-synthetic sociopath Alien? When I saw Wrex look mounrfully down and start to grieve, I though, "What a SPECTACULAR ENDING!" then when I went to turn the Xbox off I saw that wait, why's that bit of spaceship moving? Who's that sillhouette? IS IT SAREN!? *Hopeful* Oh no, wait, it's Shepherd, is he fatally wounded, at least? Nope, he made some shitty decision about politics, then stood in front of a planet looking ominous.

I don't like to use this word much, because I'm not a pre-pubescent American girl, but that ending is what's known as "LAME-OH"!

/endrant
I think the ending was quite decent. At least if you've chosen to help humans. Seeing humanity (and Shepherd) tryumph over those puny aliens from the council had this nationalistic appeal :D
Also Shepherd is straight, because gays are not allowed into the military :D
I didn't get that mainly because I'm British, and the idea of only Americans and one Indian-Asian man being aloud into space sickens me slightly.

And gays may not be allowed, but those lesbians sure are commonplace. It makes me sad when I think of all the controversy that's caused by allowing a gay relationship, but add a Lesbian scene and all of those fug-nuggins over at FOX are eerily quiet on the issue.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Parallel Streaks said:
And gays may not be allowed, but those lesbians sure are commonplace. It makes me sad when I think of all the controversy that's caused by allowing a gay relationship, but add a Lesbian scene and all of those fug-nuggins over at FOX are eerily quiet on the issue.
I was disappointed that you couldn't have (human to human) lesbian or homosexual characters in that game, its the future, organised religion is less widespread and political views are quite liberal.

Had Captain Jack Harkness been on the ship he'd have slept with Liara, Ashley, Kaidan, Joker, the lady doctor, the XO, all of the navigational and engineering staff, the marines and Wrex...

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
GyroCaptain said:
*Begins happy dance, after having cursed the gods for no announcement last year and not bothering to check the BioWare website.

I liked the MAKO, just because it had a steep difficulty curve doesn't mean it was a bad control scheme. Of course, the similarities to the Scorpion tank in Halo helped.
Huzzah, another Mako supporter! The Mako seems to sit alongside the Xen levels in Half-Life in my list of "things in games I like but not many others seem to". There was something satisfying about flooring the gas (or whatever fuel the Mako uses), slamming it into a Geth Collossus and taking it halfway across the planet :p

Things I would like to see in ME 2, besides a little more variety in the side quests and the nonstory environments, are mostly things I imagine they would include at some point anyway. I'd be looking forward to a visit to the Quarian fleet and hopefully Earth as well, or least part of it, as I don't really expect Bioware to create the entire planet and it's countless billion inhabitants. :p

One thing I felt was missing, especially for a game that involved space travel, was the sense that you were actually travelling the huge distances between star systems. No drastic change to the format would be needed but something that gives a bit more of a sense of scale than selecting a location and seeing a short clip of the Normandy heading into one of the Mass Relays.

Other than that (and mainly because it's late and I'm tired) I expect more of the same, only better. Something I'm sure Bioware will be able to deliver.

As for the jellyman, I think you should pick up Mass Effect, but don't expect, giving your other choices, don't go in looking for something like Gears of War or even Half-Life. There's a lot more talking, for starters, and pasuing the games mid combat to dole out commands. A lot like the Fallout 3 V.A.T.S system, but with more commands available :).

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
as long as every damn planet i go to in mass effect 2 dosent have the same damn worm thingy that annoys the heck outta me whilst im exploring them im sold (frickin hate the lazyness of using the same damn monster as a way to limit your travel) they can however include as many funky blue monkey things as they like :)

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I just pray that they make the maco better and when you land on planets, that everything isnt the same

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Parallel Streaks said:
I'm just hoping for an OPTION to have a gay relationship, but that ain't gonna happen. Wanna know why? If we're sticking with Shepherd, then his sexuality was confirmed in the first game. If it wasn't he could have found but one bum-loving alien or HUMAN on one of the many pointless sidequests he embarked on.
That, of course, was a step back from Jade Empire, where you could have steamy man-love with Sky.

I III II X4

Nov 14, 2008
I was at gamestop the other day (buying Mass Effect, $15 used) and one of the clerks brought up an excellent point that you shoulde have the option to play as a different race...he said he wanted to be a Vollus, I myself would like to be a Turian, maybe it'd deviate from the story too much, but I think it'd be a great feature.

As for the MAKO, I love the damn MAKO and I lurv exploring the galaxy, just...so much fun! Words can't describe how incredible it is to drive around on a planet bathed in blue starlight and find a massive, and I mean massive, blue roiling star on the horizon, that moment took my breath away!

---

One final point about character customization, you should have the option to make your helmet closed OR open faced, it just...bugged me that I had to look like some reject from Starship Troopers.

MURPHYCHACHO

Oct 28, 2008
Oh hell yes. I can't wait. Hope it lives up to the original. I heard that our save files from the first game will impact how the second one is played. To what extent I wonder...

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
When I got this news, I put Mass Effect back in the disc drive and started all over again. Awesome.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
Damnit I want to play this game... :( (the original).
Unfortunately I'm waiting until my final exams are over (may) and for it to appear on Steam in the UK so I can avoid the DRM.. (DAMN YOU EA!)