Mass Effect 2 - It was good, but not that great

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
True, it's very, very shallow, which is below Bioware's standard.
I liked it, but gone are the golden days of yore.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
It wasn't good, it wasn't even great. It was spectacular.

Now can we stop with the sudden flood of threads calling "Mass Effect 2 was decent" or "Mass Effect 2 isn't a RPG"? It is painfully remeniscing of last years flood of "Modern Warfare 2" threads.

In a year we'll all be whining about Skyrim somehow not delivering.

beniki

May 28, 2009
OniaPL said:
beniki said:
Why did the combat seem mediocre to you?
Because it did the same as Gear of Wars except not as well, and added some abilities. In my opinion, It was just that, mediocre. A couple of abilities isn't a redeeming quality. And because weapons only overheat, you could pretty much duck down and wait until the mediocre AI desrves to move out of cover and then spray.
Well, the problem here is that you're comparing a shooter to an RPG. Although they appear similar, they're both coming at it from opposite directions.

Gears of War is a skill based shooter, in that the game play of shooting is the main event. It's coming to third person combat from the FPS genre. It emphasises player skill over story telling. That's not to say GoW wasn't good at telling the story, I'm just saying the combat mechanic isn't meant to support it. Rather in that game, the story is there to support the combat.

Mass Effect 2 is a role playing game. It's designed to tell the story first, with combat supporting the story, with it's roots in the old top down, random chance via D20 games. To that end, it's not trying to challenge you in the same way as GoW is doing, it's trying to trick you into believing you are Commander Shepard, space captain hero.

Since your experience of the game was similar to GoW, I'm willing to bet you played as a soldier. This class is very much the spray and pray Rambo style hero. If you want a more tactically inclined play experience, try either the adept or the infiltrator.

But, the real test of Mass Effect 2 should lie in how it made you feel. Did you feel like Rambo stomping down the corridors of an alien ship? But then again, it might just be that you prefer challenging yourself in a shooter, rather than indulging in a bit of role play fantasy.

So there you go. Different design philosophies, and pick the one you like best.

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
Nerdy fiction world, guns and pretty easy combat(skill tree is pretty pointless, +% 1,2,4,5,6 for all abilities is not a interresting Also cross class talents so they arent very unique. bla bla) everyone just pick soldier aldy and gg, extreme ammounts of intercharacter relations = Masseffect and dragon age. Not my kind of games but the basic internett nerds with not much skill seem to enjoy it, and well game mag dev's etc pretty much are those kind of ppl.

Doinstuffman38

Dec 1, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
The best thing a game can do is be immersive, it doesn't matter about all the little annoyances.

Mass Effect 2 has, on several occassions, kept me playing for 8 hours straight and not realising it. A game that can do that is a brilliant game in my book.

ME2 was the one game of 2010 that could do that, so I think it being GotY is perfectly justified.
I've been there, my friend.
I've said it before (maybe not here, but I have said it), and I've been more sure of this than just about anything in my life: Mass Effect 2 is the best game that I have ever played, on any system, in my entire life.

Sure there are a few things that could be improved (resource mining and minor camera glitches during cutscenes), but it's not enough to irritate me. I have not yet grown tired of it, and I hopefully never will.

Peter Pottorff

Feb 12, 2010
yeah well you need to understand that it's the middle of the trilogy. Besides have you seen the cutscenes vs gameplay very nice.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
OniaPL said:
Also, I think that Bioware get's way too much love just because the players can be gay or straight. Sure, it's great, but I personally think people celebrate it too much.
Sorry I wasn't clear on my point. It's not choosing straight or gay. It's about the fact that I had personal relationships. With most games you're either alone or if you do have teammates you don't get to spend time with them, get to know them. If there is a love interest it's a pre-determined, you're this guy or girl who loves this guy or girl.

I got to decide my love life in the game.

Apocalypse Tank

Aug 31, 2008
Its great, but over hyped.
Planet mining, and very much dumbed down from the previous game made a second run-through very boring for me.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Skoldpadda said:
Lordmarkus said:
In a year we'll all be whining about Skyrim somehow not delivering.
I'm sure we will. Because it won't.

^^
That's what we all thought of Modern Warfare 2. I certainly thought it would be the second coming of christ and look what that got me.

Besides, I will have lots of input on Skyrim because I'm probably chosing Mass Effect 3 over any game next holiday. That's of course Valve isn't involved in anything holidays-ish.

Or Duke Nukem. Always Duke Nukem.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
beniki said:
Well, the problem here is that you're comparing a shooter to an RPG. Although they appear similar, they're both coming at it from opposite directions.

Gears of War is a skill based shooter, in that the game play of shooting is the main event. It's coming to third person combat from the FPS genre. It emphasises player skill over story telling. That's not to say GoW wasn't good at telling the story, I'm just saying the combat mechanic isn't meant to support it. Rather in that game, the story is there to support the combat.

Mass Effect 2 is a role playing game. It's designed to tell the story first, with combat supporting the story, with it's roots in the old top down, random chance via D20 games. To that end, it's not trying to challenge you in the same way as GoW is doing, it's trying to trick you into believing you are Commander Shepard, space captain hero.

Since your experience of the game was similar to GoW, I'm willing to bet you played as a soldier. This class is very much the spray and pray Rambo style hero. If you want a more tactically inclined play experience, try either the adept or the infiltrator.

But, the real test of Mass Effect 2 should lie in how it made you feel. Did you feel like Rambo stomping down the corridors of an alien ship? But then again, it might just be that you prefer challenging yourself in a shooter, rather than indulging in a bit of role play fantasy.

So there you go. Different design philosophies, and pick the one you like best.
I just cry when I hear someone call ME 2 RPG. It was a shooter with slight rpg- elements. These minor rpg- elements don't give a free pass to Bioware for not really trying with combat.
I think of myself as an RPG player, but in ME I felt like a spectator and not Shepard himself.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It's epic, is got great acting, writing and missions, and the combat feels really good too (although if you're playing as a soldier, you're not doing it right). It also approaches the story in a different way too, which felt quite refreshing - seeking out most of your companions and gaining their trust felt more interesting then going to 4 or 5 different places, each with their own big quest and lots of little ones. It really put emphasis on the characters.

Having your choices carry over from the first, and seeing the preparations you have or haven't made for the final mission affect the lives of all your crew is great too.

The entire time I was playing it I was thinking, "this is fucking amazing". The opening sequence is powerful stuff too.

People need to get the fuck over the RPG thing too. Dragon Age (which I also love to bits) is for classic, old-school stats based gameplay, Mass Effect is far more about character interaction and the snowballing consequences of your actions - and yeah, that comes under the RPG tag too. They took the series in a direction that was best for it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's a good game, but there's always a sense of soullessness just beneath the surface whenever I play it.

I play this game only for the story and characters; the gameplay is just a means to an end for me. Now, there have been other games where I played almost exclusively for the story, but atleast there the gameplay was somewhat intergrated with the narrative. But in Mass Effect 2, the gameplay and narrative seem almost completely cut off from one another. Making it so that I'm always chewing myself through the gameplay in order to get to the story bits.

This makes playing multible runthrough's of the game seem like such a damn chore.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
OniaPL said:
I liked Mass Effect 2. It had an entertaining story, combat wasnt that boring and you had choices. It is a good game that you can recommend to others. But it isn't worth all the celebration it has received. It wasn't that groundbreaking.

The constant praising of Mass Effect 2 haven't bothered me much until now. I have lately spent time on these forums, and seen a lot of people praising ME 2 for various reasons. But it was too much when Mass Effect received so, so many awards.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/5535102/1

As it seems that there are a lot of ME 2 fans out there, could you explain me why this game is bigger than life itself?
Its combat was nothing more than a 3rd person shooter with few abilities, the story was decent (although the ending with that gigantic reaper was a little bit "come on!"), you had to mine planets with probes to get both the best ending and better gear which was horrible, almost all missions were completely linear, and I didn't find the AI to be exactly genius.

To repeat my question: Yes, ME2 is good, but how can anyone justify calling it the Game of the Year?
Red dead redemption received far, far more awards. I found this pretty annoying considering I ultimately never finished the game because I got sick of hearing the character's soliloquies for an end to all government. I frankly would have picked ME2 as my game of the year, but awards are a tad pointless compared to sales.

And how, I dunno, all the elements were there none were bad. I played through it three times. It's fun? What more substantiation can I offer? Sadly though New Vegas got no love, yes it had bugs but it was twice the game fallout 3 was and people showered that mediocre title with praise.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Woodsey said:
Having your choices carry over from the first, and seeing the preparations you have or haven't made for the final mission affect the lives of all your crew is great too.

The entire time I was playing it I was thinking, "this is fucking amazing". The opening sequence is powerful stuff too.
You mean by choices carrying over that either Kaidan or Ashley make a few minute appearance, or will Liara knew that you had a romance with her? They were pulling punches for ME 3.

The opening sequence wasnt that amazing. It was just an excuse for you to change your old Shepard to a new one.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
OniaPL said:
Woodsey said:

You mean by choices carrying over that either Kaidan or Ashley make a few minute appearance, or will Liara knew that you had a romance with her? They were pulling punches for ME 3.

The opening sequence wasnt that amazing. It was just an excuse for you to change your old Shepard to a new one.
You sound pretty bitter with this "pulling punches" stuff. You're making some negative assumptions there. Can I ask what game you'd have preferred?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Radeonx said:
(I'm not counting the story because a good story isn't an RPG element.)
Lolwat?
I'm saying that good stories aren't exclusive to RPG's in any way, shape, or form.
There are plenty of games with good stories that have no RPG elements in them whatsoever.

CatmanStu

Jul 22, 2008
For me Red Dead Redemption was the game of the year, and I haven't played it. A game of the year should symbolise the pinnacle of technical and narrative achievement, but if all things are even it should also symbolise the introduction of something new, whether it be a mechanic or an aesthetic.

If RDR had a Lone Ranger license I would have finished twice by now :)

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Gotta agree with you that it's very good, but nothing OMG OMG OMG OMG
I still like ME1 more, but I would still give ME2 GOTY this year :)