Mass Effect 3 Beta Leak

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Oh boy. People will of course start judging the game from this, even though it's only in beta state and it was an unintentional leak, so who knows how old that is.
Anyway, I won't watch it because I want the experience to be fresh and new when I'll play the game for the first time.

AmstradHero

Jul 10, 2011
JamesStone said:
Oh, wait, sorry, that was wrong, I just re-counted, 140 minutes if you count with everything. If you really want to see it in is max charge of stupidity, just watch his 1st video or the Lair of the Shadow Broker commentary.
QFT.

His Lair of the Shadow Broker commentary basically boiled down to:
1) Liara has a completely different personality. Waaaaa! Waaaaaa! WAAAAAAAA!
2) Feron = Thane.
3) Because of 1 & 2, LotSB & BioWare == lame.

That's seriously about the level of intelligence in his "review". I wish I was joking.

Of course, he doesn't actually back up claim 1 or 2 with any evidence. He just says "because Liara has a completely different personality" as people are supposed to accept that, and he never calls Feron "Feron", but always refers to him as Thane. No, I am not joking. No, you shouldn't waste your time. No, BioWare (or anyone else) should not listen to a word he says.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Why are people so angry about this? They're giving us options. You can just choose RPG mode and play like normal. Chill out; it's exactly the same as setting difficulty (which you can also do elsewhere).
On one hand, you're not wrong. Trying to accommodate different kinds of players is not a bad thing. On the other hand, this feels like a very sorely misguided effort towards doing that, and telegraphs a very great deal of uncertainty about the game on Bioware's part. They feel that in as much as any of these can be selling points, they're also all potential deal-breakers, so they've gone out of their way to make sure they aren't integrated with one another and can be played separately.

What do I mean by integrated? Well, the idea is that whatever features are in your game, they have some inter-dependence on one another so as to feel like they're part of the same game. You feel like participating in one game mode, in other words, gives you an advantage in the others. It makes the experience cohesive and consistently rewarding, and how you integrate features together often is the essence of what makes a game unique.

A good example of a well-integrated game is Sly 2, the core concept of which is a mix between burglary and "Ocean's Eleven" style heists. It features combat, exploration, platforming and stealth. Exploring your surroundings reveals new opportunities, exploits, and rewards, whether it's a hiding place you can use to escape from pursuit, a vantage point that offers an ambush, a new shortcut, or a shiny ming vase that you can bring back to the hideout for a tidy lump of cash that can be used to buy upgrades. Enemies carry loot, and if you get the drop on them you can pick their pockets, which makes being stealthy rewarding. Offing an enemy means one less set of eyes to look at you. In general, pursuing each of these different styles of play offers an advantage in the others.

Mass Effect 2 is an example of a game that's not well-integrated. Exploring is confined to tedious mineral-scanning. The actual planet surfaces don't offer anything in the way of places to explore apart from small hubs that act as gateways into shooting segments and containers for NPCs to talk to. In fact, combat segments can't be re-visited at all. Meanwhile, apart from a few exceptions (notably the very last mission), actually making decisions has no bearing on the outcome of combat; in fact, dialogue is mainly confined to said hubs, where action never takes place.

"Confined" is a good way to describe the different modes of these games in general. They don't feel like they're part of the same set of interactions, and what rewards they offer to one another are very artificial, arbitrary things, like experience points that can be spent on combat abilities, or research gained as a result of arbitrary amounts of mineral farming. There's an indirect relationship between these modes, like they're all Facebook friends playing Farmville and sending each other points, but not a direct one.

Everybody says they want more RPG elements present in Mass Effect, but what they really want is better integration, I think. They want it to feel more organic than it does, and they want the different modes/features to feel more complete through their relationships with one another.

Unfortunately, Bioware doesn't seem to be getting the message, as this set of options would indicate. I honestly laughed out loud when I read "action mode," because dialogue isn't just a major selling point of the series--it's a major selling point of Bioware's games in general, period. Giving the player the option of cutting this out is kind of like offering the player the option to cut out cybernetic augmentations in Deus Ex, or withdrawing the ability to equip or customize your party in Dragon Age--oh, snap!

Point being, it's part of the core appeal of the game and doesn't make a lot of sense. Mass Effect's lead designer has stated that they have been looking into what people like about other games like Gears of War and Call of Duty (IE: More successful games), but you get the feeling lately that they don't really understand what people like about their games.

Spencer Petersen said:
The biggest problem I've had with Bioware is the complete story and gameplay segregation. The inclusion of these modes is a sign they are doing less to integrate the two together and more to make Shepard in combat and Shepard in talky mode 2 entirely separate entities. If each part is so meaningless to the other that it can be removed without detriment then there is a serious problem with your game.

I thought they would be doing more to include serious choices within the gameplay bits as well as ways to develop your character's combat skill from dialogue choices. But they seem to content to keep it as a railroaded, self-indulgent, empowerment fantasy that you occasionally interrupt to kill hundred of nameless assholes, which serves to remind you just how awesome you are.
To sum up, yeah, I'm with you on this one. My biggest complaint has been less the lack of integration of dialogue and combat, though, and more their lack of integration between their combat and exploration elements. Given that we haven't heard anything about what they plan to do in place of mining for minerals or driving the Mako so far and the relative urgency of the plot, it seems they're less interested in giving me the "Captain of the USS Enterprise" experience and more interested in making "Mass Effect: The Cinematic Railroad with Dialogue Bits Sometimes" experience.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
NickCaligo42 said:
a bloody excellent post
Thank you. Before, I didn't know why ME2 couldn't pull me in to the experience but you've pretty much outlined my exact problem with it. Most of the time if not all, it feels my choices exist in a vacuum. I thought ME1 did a decent job at creating the illusion of marrying exploration, combat and choices even if it was ultimately linear.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Watched probably all the footage and seen most (maybe all) handy cam screenshots. And I have to say, the bits that are done (or close to it) look stunning. I know the game plays well (played the demo at NYCC), and the footage had me at the edge of my seat the entire time.

This leak helped wet my 'need ME3 info NAO' whistle.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Packie_J said:
NickCaligo42 said:
a bloody excellent post
Thank you. Before, I didn't know why ME2 couldn't pull me in to the experience but you've pretty much outlined my exact problem with it. Most of the time if not all, it feels my choices exist in a vacuum. I thought ME1 did a decent job at creating the illusion of marrying exploration, combat and choices even if it was ultimately linear.
Illusion has very little to do with it. In ME1 the acts of exploration and combat--at the very least--are actually integrated, if only in a handful of spaces, and it makes for a much more organic flow with a lot more tricks up its sleeve. This is the one thing I will give it over its successor.

Other than that... I'm going to come out and say it, I actually like ME2 better, mainly because the systems in themselves feel less wasteful and shoehorned. It's rather like they took every single suggestion I had about how the systems design could be improved and did nearly all of them. It still wasn't a tremendously satisfying game for me, for the reasons you talk about and more, but it felt like a step in the right direction. You sort of hope they'd take the core concepts further now that they've sanded off all the rough edges, though. You sort of hope that you'll get more stuff to do as the "commander of the Normandy," which is the concept that has a lot more appeal than "commander of this squad of three dudes."

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
Spencer Petersen said:
The biggest problem I've had with Bioware is the complete story and gameplay segregation. The inclusion of these modes is a sign they are doing less to integrate the two together and more to make Shepard in combat and Shepard in talky mode 2 entirely separate entities. If each part is so meaningless to the other that it can be removed without detriment then there is a serious problem with your game.

I thought they would be doing more to include serious choices within the gameplay bits as well as ways to develop your character's combat skill from dialogue choices. But they seem to content to keep it as a railroaded, self-indulgent, empowerment fantasy that you occasionally interrupt to kill hundred of nameless assholes, which serves to remind you just how awesome you are.
It's exactly the same as any other RPG, just like it's always been. I don't know why people expected anything different, especially when they've never given any indication that they'd be doing anything other than what they've always done. Especially dialogue options affecting your combat skill...That makes zero sense.

How is a character supposed to behave the same way when he's talking as when he's fighting? Of course he's going to behave differently, they're two very different actions. I'm really not sure what you're looking for here.
The way your character behaves can give great indications as to how they would solve particular problems. Characters that act evasive and mysterious when interrogated or asked important questions might be more inclined to sneak by or use ambush tactics to defeat enemies. Characters which respond resolutely and hold their ground might be more inclined to tank damage in combat and have high shields/armor. People who value life in conversation would be more inclined to use non-lethal methods or crowd control to deal with enemies. People who act rashly and use force to coerce might specialize in more offensive attacks and strategies. Its a simple way of interconnecting your dialogue and your combat, by helping you develop a fighting style or strategy by how you behave in various situations that gauge your values. It doesn't have to be much, just enough to make the flow of events feel more logical and structured, as well as make your character feel like a more consistent entity.

Right now Shepard can spend the entire game talking about forgiveness, how valuable life is and how we should always give people a chance, and then when the combat starts shoots 10 people with frozen bullets and then karate chop them to pieces. It isn't consistent, logical or reasonable, its just bad design.

sarttan

Apr 5, 2011
Looks like this was made WAY before E3, maybe a little before ME2 was released. I wouldn't be suprised if most of the stuff in this gets dumped or remade (That Action mode/RPG mode thing will go I hope.). I've heared unused audio files for ME2's starting area, and it sounds like they made something, dumped it, and then remade it with different elements. Classic, game design if you ask me.

Also, its very clear from this demo that Bioware focused on the story and presentation before working on the actual level designs. I wouldn't be suprised if ME3's plot is just as amazing as the other MEs.

AmstradHero

Jul 10, 2011
Spencer Petersen said:
The way your character behaves can give great indications as to how they would solve particular problems. Characters that act evasive and mysterious when interrogated or asked important questions might be more inclined to sneak by or use ambush tactics to defeat enemies. Characters which respond resolutely and hold their ground might be more inclined to tank damage in combat and have high shields/armor. People who value life in conversation would be more inclined to use non-lethal methods or crowd control to deal with enemies. People who act rashly and use force to coerce might specialize in more offensive attacks and strategies. Its a simple way of interconnecting your dialogue and your combat, by helping you develop a fighting style or strategy by how you behave in various situations that gauge your values. It doesn't have to be much, just enough to make the flow of events feel more logical and structured, as well as make your character feel like a more consistent entity.

Right now Shepard can spend the entire game talking about forgiveness, how valuable life is and how we should always give people a chance, and then when the combat starts shoots 10 people with frozen bullets and then karate chop them to pieces. It isn't consistent, logical or reasonable, its just bad design.
Nice theorycraft, but a system that limits (combat) gameplay options based upon dialogue (or other gameplay) choices really doesn't translate into good game design. In fact, it would be terrible design. Why? Because plenty of people talk in a way that doesn't translate nicely into appropriate actions.

The best example here is the righteous do-gooder: the noble hero who brutally guns down hundreds of enemies in cold blood. They think they are doing the right thing, even if it is savage killing, because their moral guidelines dictate that "those enemies are evil, bloodthirsty beings who will result in the death of the entire city/country/world/universe". They'll help the poor, save the weak, but those enemies... they've got to die. Every. Last. One.

Any attempt at this ends up going down a "light-side/dark-side" or "open-palm/closed-fist" route which really doesn't fit the bill to any great degree. There are way too many variations for this to work in any sort of complex game environment, and dictating how players must play based on their dialogue choices is grossly constricting.

The only way I could potentially see for this being done would be an improvement on the system within Alpha Protocol. Certain actions (within missions or dialogue) would result in certain perks being awarded to the player. These were minor bonuses that were dependent upon choices made and provided relevant skill, monetary or other bonuses, but did not impact negatively upon the player's ability to pursue other paths.

Any integration would have to offer additional possibilities that tie into previous choices, but have to do so in such a way that it does not limit the ability for players to pursue particular styles of play. Doing that while also maintaining balance across a complex game mechanic system is no easy task.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
In case anyone reads the above post and rages, here's what it really says:

Action Mode: For those who want to emphasize action and combat and minimize story management. Action mode will set automatic replies in conversation and a normal difficulty.

Story Mode: For those who want to emphasize story immersion and minimize combat pressure. Story mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a minimal combat difficulty.

RPG Mode: For those who want to explore both realms of story and combat. RPG mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a normal combat difficulty.
Why are people so angry about this? They're giving us options. You can just choose RPG mode and play like normal. Chill out; it's exactly the same as setting difficulty (which you can also do elsewhere).
what is the point of the first two when the 3rd provides all three? unless of course they decide to dumb down every RPG element to the point of futility as they did in DA2.

action and story mode sound ridiculous. it is supposed to an RPG for crying out loud. i don't want to choose a game play style, i want to roll play the game however the hell i want. if the latter "mode" provides that flexibility it makes the first two redundant by definition.

others lol'd, but i cried a bit. this is the bioware i used to love and defend. what has happened?

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Zhukov said:
I see a lot of Wrex.

This makes me happy.
Indeed.
OP: The good was Wrex and Liara looking great after her redesign. The bad: Ashley's redesign and the game opening up after something from a DLC. Cute. Not like that is a slap in the face or anything to someone who played ME2, but didn't buy the DLC. And if that footage is anything to go by, this is not a good jumping on point for new players.
Edit: Why the complaining about the modes thing? They aren't forcing you to do anything. Just play the game normally.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Blargh McBlargh said:
The_Blue_Rider said:
Thats what RPG mode is for, please read some of the comments or pay some attention to the source next time
I have, and RPG Mode still seems like it will limit your options in both conversations and action sequences.
Well seeing as how you havent played the game you couldnt know that huh? Also there isnt any evidence to support that claim at all

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Do not want.

Why do people even want to play games unfinished?

I'll happily wait for the finished, undoubtedly awesome final version.
Worse, people play the beta (Whether official or leaked in it's crappier than beta state like this one was), then decide whether or not the game is worth buying from that.

That's not how a beta works, people. It's just noooooooot. /rage
Except for 95% of MMOs released in past 10 or so years.

That 5% is WoW, Guild Wars (though it's a stretch...) and games that started P2P and went F2P.

Champions Online, AoC, WAR, LotRO, and so on, so on. Especially official betas are terrible - they're basically glorifed demo versions.

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
RPG mode is the full game.
Story Mode are for those who doesn't care about combat and just want to get on with the story.
Action mode are for those who just wanna shoot things.

It's really not that hard to figure out.. oh and you can change the mode on the fly - it's not like you chose one option at the beginning and is stuck with it.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
JamesStone said:
SecretNegative said:
Don't want to jump right into the conversation, but who is smudboy? Seriously, who the fuck is he? And why must Bioware listen to his arguments? And were can I watch his review?
No worries. Smudboy is a guy who´s on youtube telling everyone how Mass Effect 2 sucked, making stupid points about it, and trolling everyone that disagrees with him. Go look for some of his stuff, and you´ll see what I mean.

WARNING: It´s 60 full-of-shit minutes divided in 6 parts, not counting with the DLC´s videos adn the responses to people that disagree with him.
I've only watched his video pertaining to mass effect 2's story, and he makes entirely valid points. The side stories, characters, and combat were all great, but the main story is absolutely abysmal. It lacks any sense of logic, and coherency that you would expect from "master of vidyagame stories". Doesn't mean the game itself was bad, but the main story was beyond salvageable. Thankfully it was a smaller portion of the game.

I hope they remedy this in ME3, but I'm not hoping for much.