Mass Effect 3 "Change The Ending" Petition (almost certainly spoilers)

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
It's time like this it make me think being a fanboy is a bad thing.

It's their game therefore Bioware doesn't even need to meet their fans demands. Name me one game that the fanboy had cried for a change and the company give in to them? (Well ok I guess Supreme Commander sort of count when they brought back the experimental units but this is bigger than that.) Also no I don't think this will be the first either.
Other than Tali/Garrus as bangabl"romance"able characters?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Wenseph said:
The ending is disappointing. I would have been alright with a depressing ending, but it really destroys all replay value and if you had several shepards, to get different endings with, you can't. It's all the same endings, no matter the choices you've made before.
I don't really have a problem with that. Yes, it seems to be the most common complain for some reason but honestly, you're dealing with a threat that the combined might of the galaxy can't do shit against, hence the "let's go get the ancient tech that will destroy our enemies for us" card.

And when you're dealing with one device that is your only chance for hope, built for a specific purpose, how many options could there be? How are any of your decisions prior to that supposed to factor into something like that?

I couldn't care less about your choices having nothing to do with the ending, that wasn't the point. Your choices come into play with the rest of the game, in helping you get to where you need to be to pull off that ending. Beyond that, it is what it is.

So, I don't hate the ending because of lack of choice, the game did everything I feel it should have with your choices. I only hate the endings because they were stupid, unsatisfying bullshit. Also, because after the Normandy crashed, crew members who were on Earth during the final assault walked off. What the fuck is that?

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Jadak said:
I couldn't care less about your choices having nothing to do with the ending, that wasn't the point. Your choices come into play with the rest of the game, in helping you get to where you need to be to pull off that ending. Beyond that, it is what it is.
OMG finally a person who got their head out of their space-waifu dreams to realize what choice meant in this game

+10000 internetz to you

Jadak said:
So, I don't hate the ending because of lack of choice, the game did everything I feel it should have with your choices. I only hate the endings because they were stupid, unsatisfying bullshit. Also, because after the Normandy crashed, crew members who were on Earth during the final assault walked off. What the fuck is that?
1. It may be a glitch
2. how hard is it to imagine the Normandy picked them up?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
MiloP said:
S

I'll start by saying that I haven't played ME3 yet,
Perhaps you should, before making blanket criticisms of others.

If you'd spent 3 games, 100+ hours building up your character, collecting war assets and trying to do every sidequest and story choice right, the game constantly goading and hinting at you that you're doing it all the right way... you too might feel a little miffed at the end when it all means nothing.
And now it's up to us to collect our own war assets to make Bioware change that stupid ending. I'm glad you're on our side. As an internet celebrity, you're worth a lot as an asset.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Had Bioware not been faffing about with ME2's story, than ME3 would not have been left holding the ball and consequently dropping it.
Nothing that happens in ME2 is of any importance to the events of ME3, except for bailing out your previous team mates.

I think ME3 handled the story and the ending the best it could (considering ME2 having not added anything to it). It really didn't come too much as a surprise. I expected Shepard to die, and some sort of change of galactic proportions, so there you go.

It's kinda sad how big games like this can't simply end with the hero saving the world and getting the girl anymore.

Oh well, it's over now. Time to look on to newer things.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Had Bioware not been faffing about with ME2's story, than ME3 would not have been left holding the ball and consequently dropping it.
Nothing that happens in ME2 is of any importance to the events of ME3, except for bailing out your previous team mates.

I think ME3 handled the story and the ending the best it could (considering ME2 having not added anything to it). It really didn't come too much as a surprise. I expected Shepard to die, and some sort of change of galactic proportions, so there you go.

It's kinda sad how big games like this can't simply end with the hero saving the world and getting the girl anymore.

Oh well, it's over now. Time to look on to newer things.
Me2 was the middle point of a series, you know what middle point of the series ends up doing much besides faffing about? not many.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Buretsu said:
Abedeus said:
Buretsu said:
Actually, we did write the story. With out Shepard's actions, his choices and words. And last 5 minutes of the game destroy up to 90 hours of time we spent in the last 3 games.
That's not writing the story. That's choosing which parts of the story you read.
So you're always happy with the ending someone got you?

Hard to say what you enjoy or not, but just a blind guess - if Harry Potter could destroy Voldemort, but only by destroying magic and Hogwart at same time, would you still enjoy the ending? Ending that makes no sense at all and invalidates everything a character did over past few years?

Or Lord of the Rings where Frodo falls into the volcano with Gollum, they both die, Sam dies from exhaustion and everyone inside of Mordor falls into the fissure that was created when Sauron died.

So you are sitting there, thinking "...What? HUH? EVERYONE I KNEW AND CARED ABOUT IT DEAD AND IT MAKES NO SENSE WHY! BUT THEY HAD PLANS, FUTURE!".
Please look up the definition of 'invalidating' because I do not think it means what everyone's been using it to mean.

It's the concept of "heroic sacrifice", that sometimes saving the world can mean that you're no longer a part of it. The main goal is accomplished; anything that comes afterwards is just icing on a potentially depressing cake.

And, yes, they made plans. They made plans for what they would do IF they survived. Just because you plan for something, doesn't mean it'll happen. I could plan what I would do if I won the lottery, but those plans would be useless if I didn't actually win.
No. Because let's look at endings (I'm ignoring the green ending, because it's piss-poor magic shit that makes zero logic and was chucked into the game at last moment).

You control the Reapers? Why control only to leave them? If Shepard dies for the control, he should just tell them to reveal all secrets they have and uplift the civilizations. This way, even if relays are destroyed, the might be rebuilt in the next 100-200 years, or at the very least tell the secret of faster FTL travel (because Reapers traveled from 0.25 to 1 lengths of Milky Way in a year, that's FAST without mass relays).

You destroy them? You also destroy the geth, EDI and you MIGHT survive (if you did everything in Single Player and then played a bit of multiplayer to get above 5k Effective Readiness). But that makes the whole "Quarians, Geth or both survive" things you did earlier in game invalid. If you let Geth live and advance, they are now all dead. If Quarians were destroyed, now there are two races annihilated instead of just one. And in any case, the geth can't help Quarians on their homeplanet anymore, and they were just starting to live in peace.

Your comparison to lottery makes no sense - Shepard made preparations, he united all of the races, there were sacrifices on all sides, and the magical God child made them all obsolete. Because no matter what you choose during those 3 games, the endings are still the same!

As it stands now, ME3's ending is like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, except if the protagonists upon finding out the existence of Anti-Spirals just gave up and returned to living underground instead of fighting against all odds and laws of the universe (gravity and logic included).

Reapers/Anti-Spirals: "We were once like you, but we realized that synthetics/Spiral Power will cause chaos and destroy the galaxy/universe, so we keep stomping down intelligent life whenever one appears and reaches to the stars!"
Simon: "SCREW YOU, WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, MINE IS THE DRILL THAT SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!"
Shepard: "Okay.jpg"

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Abedeus said:
No. Because let's look at endings (I'm ignoring the green ending, because it's piss-poor magic shit that makes zero logic and was chucked into the game at last moment).

You control the Reapers? Why control only to leave them? If Shepard dies for the control, he should just tell them to reveal all secrets they have and uplift the civilizations. This way, even if relays are destroyed, the might be rebuilt in the next 100-200 years, or at the very least tell the secret of faster FTL travel (because Reapers traveled from 0.25 to 1 lengths of Milky Way in a year, that's FAST without mass relays).

You destroy them? You also destroy the geth, EDI and you MIGHT survive (if you did everything in Single Player and then played a bit of multiplayer to get above 5k Effective Readiness). But that makes the whole "Quarians, Geth or both survive" things you did earlier in game invalid. If you let Geth live and advance, they are now all dead. If Quarians were destroyed, now there are two races annihilated instead of just one. And in any case, the geth can't help Quarians on their homeplanet anymore, and they were just starting to live in peace.

Your comparison to lottery makes no sense - Shepard made preparations, he united all of the races, there were sacrifices on all sides, and the magical God child made them all obsolete. Because no matter what you choose during those 3 games, the endings are still the same!

As it stands now, ME3's ending is like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, except if the protagonists upon finding out the existence of Anti-Spirals just gave up and returned to living underground instead of fighting against all odds and laws of the universe (gravity and logic included).

Reapers/Anti-Spirals: "We were once like you, but we realized that synthetics/Spiral Power will cause chaos and destroy the galaxy/universe, so we keep stomping down intelligent life whenever one appears and reaches to the stars!"
Simon: "SCREW YOU, WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, MINE IS THE DRILL THAT SHALL PIERCE THE HEAVENS!"

you are aware Simon and Team Dai-gurren are total idiots for enabling the destruction of the entire universe at a future date.

they are like the worst role models ever.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
It's their game therefore Bioware doesn't even need to meet their fans demands. Name me one game that the fanboy had cried for a change and the company give in to them? (
Fallout 3.

And when almost the entire ME community is in unanimous agreement that the game was a masterpiece apart form the last 10 minutes ruining the entire series, something is clearly amiss.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
Abedeus said:

you are aware Simon and Team Dai-gurren are total idiots for enabling the destruction of the entire universe at a future date.

they are like the worst role models ever.
They'll protect it.

Also, the fear that Anti-Spirals and Reapers alike had from the evolution and development of organic life is based on their experiences. They basically said "It didn't work for us, so it OBVIOUUUSLLLYYYY won't work for you!!", like some dumb children that don't want to see another kid succeed where they failed.

That's why Simon says: "No that's your limitation! You sit here closed off, locking away other life forms like some kind of king! That's nobody's limitation but your own!". There's a LOT of angst here coming from Anti-Spirals, who couldn't prevent the destruction of universe, and they couldn't bear the fact that they have a limit too, despite being highly advanced.

And yet, they lost to a lesser form of life.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
Scarim Coral said:
It's their game therefore Bioware doesn't even need to meet their fans demands. Name me one game that the fanboy had cried for a change and the company give in to them? (
Fallout 3.

And when almost the entire ME community is in unanimous agreement that the game was a masterpiece apart form the last 10 minutes ruining the entire series, something is clearly amiss.
Exactly. If it was like, 50% dislike, 50% like, or something similar would be fine. Not every has to like it.

But if OVER 90% OF COMMUNITY THINKS SO, it has to mean something. I know argument to population is a poor one, but in business, it works. And if Bioware wants to keep being in business, they won't get far ignoring the staggering majority.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Abedeus said:
They'll protect it.

Also, the fear that Anti-Spirals and Reapers alike had from the evolution and development of organic life is based on their experiences. They basically said "It didn't work for us, so it OBVIOUUUSLLLYYYY won't work for you!!", like some dumb children that don't want to see another kid succeed where they failed.

That's why Simon says: "No that's your limitation! You sit here closed off, locking away other life forms like some kind of king! That's nobody's limitation but your own!". There's a LOT of angst here coming from Anti-Spirals, who couldn't prevent the destruction of universe, and they couldn't bear the fact that they have a limit too, despite being highly advanced.

And yet, they lost to a lesser form of life.
They'll protect it?

You remember that scene from episode 1 with them in space that never happened in the actual show?

According to the shows writers that was Team Dai-gurren causing the spiral nemesis in another timeline.

The show BEGAN with THEM SCREWING UP. My expectations, especially since simon isn't piloting gurren-Lagann anymore, is low.

DolorousEdd

Sep 25, 2010
Wanted to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt for this game or rather enjoy it for what it's worth, shallow and overhyped or not, but after hearing of this jarring, embarrassing ending, and finally seeing it for myself (if it's not so bad it's still better to know it than expecting crap), I think I invest my money elsewhere. No logic, no choice, no meaning, pure pretentiousness and cheese.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
The only thing I want, is being able to get all the endings AND anything else, without having to touch the multiplayer. I am not going to play it. I just won't.

This is a new low for BioWare and a really cheap strategy to force people to play the multiplayer.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Who Dares Wins said:
The only thing I want, is being able to get all the endings AND anything else, without having to touch the multiplayer. I am not going to play it. I just won't.

This is a new low for BioWare and a really cheap strategy to force people to play the multiplayer.
You can get all the endings by not playing mutliplayer.

It depends on how you deal with the anderson/TIM situation.

and import bonuses from the first 2 ME games.

karoliso

Apr 14, 2009
The writing in Mass Effect 3 was so incredibly bad I could barely stomach it. It's not filled with plot holes, it's filled with plot chasms and weak one line cover-ups. I also love how everyone forgot that a mass relay exploding destroys an entire system that it's inside of. So Joker escaping is just insulting to the audience.

A good article on the subject: http://www.nerd-age.com/mass-effect-3-review/

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
karoliso said:
The writing in Mass Effect 3 was so incredibly bad I could barely stomach it. It's not filled with plot holes, it's filled with plot chasms and weak one line cover-ups. I also love how everyone forgot that a mass relay exploding destroys an entire system that it's inside of.

name a plot hole and I will be able to answer it as said person not paying attention.

karoliso

Apr 14, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
karoliso said:
The writing in Mass Effect 3 was so incredibly bad I could barely stomach it. It's not filled with plot holes, it's filled with plot chasms and weak one line cover-ups. I also love how everyone forgot that a mass relay exploding destroys an entire system that it's inside of.

name a plot hole and I will be able to answer it as said person not paying attention.
When Shepard is in the virtual space with Legion and can't see what Quarians look without their suits. The weak one line cover up the game swiftly deploys is that Shepard never saw himself what a Quarian looks without a suit. You know, apart from Tali... That also doesn't excluse every single Geth connected to the network. They were just too lazy to create additional assets so they just threw a bad cover up at the audience.

In fact, I stand corrected. It's not plot holes the game is filled with it's just overall bad writing. They even ripped off Babylon 5 of some of the points in the end.

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Who Dares Wins said:

You can get all the endings by not playing mutliplayer.

It depends on how you deal with the anderson/TIM situation.

and import bonuses from the first 2 ME games.
I've seen people complain and the evidence, that even after doing ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING (except the multiplayer, the flash/iPhone games or whatever) they didn't have nearly the half of Galactic Readiness needed for one of the endings.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
I'm just peeved that such a huge. new age game threw a DE:HE at us with a press button to finish game. I was thinking the choices you made, and missions you accomplished would be calculated for one of who knows how many cut scenes like in ME2 with the beginning of the suicide mission... well except I wouldn't mind it pieced together a little more fluently. they did it once though... why can't they make a slightly bigger bang for the finally?