Mass Effect 3 Director Addresses Ending Controversy

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
This just keeps getting funnier. The fans backlash at the ending, the developers try to fix everything with "kind words" that only make the fans angrier, the fans try to WRITE THEIR OWN ENDING AND MAKE IT CANON, Developers argue with that, etc, etc.
I've seen people blow things out of proportion, but this is so out of proportion that the term "proportion" ceases to have any meaning. I can understand that you REALLY didn't like the ending, but has it occured to anyone that this has gone on long enough?

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Dfskelleton said:
This just keeps getting funnier. The fans backlash at the ending, the developers try to fix everything with "kind words" that only make the fans angrier, the fans try to WRITE THEIR OWN ENDING AND MAKE IT CANON, Developers argue with that, etc, etc.
I've seen people blow things out of proportion, but this is so out of proportion that the term "proportion" ceases to have any meaning. I can understand that you REALLY didn't like the ending, but has it occured to anyone that this has gone on long enough?
Heres a scenario for you.

Lets say you got to write a story of your own, except the writer was someone else, all the decisions the character makes and the effect on the world are your responsibility but someone else writes it (I'll name him Joe). Towards the years and long time of the story at the ending when you want to see the results of it all, Joe says "Okay, pick your ending from this list of 3". You exclaim, "But what happened to everything I did?". Joe then says, "Oh, its okay, all your decisions were important, now you can also buy the spin offs to the story soon, have a nice day!"

Its not the fans that are the issue (Maybe some are blowing out of proportion) but its the issue of Bioware's response to us not being able to see our results that is the issue. We'd get the same response from a goddamn telemarketer.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
i64ever said:
just have to ask. Did any of the journalists, including the Escapist's own Susan Ardent, whose review of ME3 appeared on release day actually play the game to the end? That seems hard to believe. While I can accept that they may have personally liked the ending (we all have our own opinion) I can't imagine they could have experienced it and not known how controversial it would be.

Giving this game a glowing review without even MENTIONING the firestorm that you surely known was coming would have been amazingly irresponsible. That is why some many fans have no faith in ANY review anymore.
You can find her response here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.353199-Mass-Effect-3-Review?page=14

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
So they're trying to avoid spoiling anyone who hasn't completed the game yet? Touching sentiment Bioware mah boi but come now, this late and you're worried about spoilers? I call shenanigans! How about the next time you make a statement you actually state something of merit.

Then again, maybe a statement about making a future statement is just what people need during these hate filled tiemz... Not the statement they wanted. But the statement they deserved...

It's obviously just a time filler just so people don't go "WHY IS NOBODY LISTENING TO US" and start firebombing their offices. Good preventative measures Bioware!

I think i'm gonna be forced to post nothing but crappy jokes in all ME threads now. I just can't take any of this shit seriously anymore...

Except Marauder Shields of course, I will forever take him as seriously as possible. God bless his mechanical soul.

Oro44

Jan 28, 2009
Ok, seriously. Stop talking. Stop making official statements about the ending. The more you defend the ending, the angrier the fans will become. Casey Hudson, you are not helping. There is the obvious "fan rage" issue, but this doesn't make sense from a business standpoint either. Defending the ending is pushing customers away.

You want to make an official statement? Sweep this nonsense under the rug and start hinting at future DLC. Undo the damage, continue Commander Shepard's saga and, if you really want to get your fans back, make it free.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
If Casey Hudson's definition of an inspiring and uplifting ending is a poor Deus EX ripoff that makes no sense and leaves people with a "WTF was that" feeling he succeeded. Regardless I'm not paying for any DLC until they fix this abysmal ending.

FYI Biowares National Anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMM2ut1-Sro

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
NO! We shall go on to the end. We shall fight on the endings, we shall fight on the forums and game reviews, we shall fight with growing entitlement and growing strength in the 'Net. We shall defend our ending, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight about plot inconsistancies, we shall fight about broken promises, We shall fight about day 1 DLC, we shall fight about Tali's face reveal, we shall never surrender!

I have nothing to offer but Indoctrination, Theories, Fanon, and Tali's sweat [http://www.somethingawful.com/d/weekend-web/bioware-social-forums.php]

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I don't think they're responses are out of ignorance. They know they screwed up,it's all politics in admitting that they did.

Despite how much they may want to stick with the ending, from an economical standpoint they should fix it because

A. Despite how much of dick move it would be, they would make money off releasing alternate ending DLC's. Heck, I'd fork over ten bucks to actually get closure to a good series.

and B. They're obviously going to have some PR issues if they don't, sort of like the metacritic reviews.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
At times I think this would be easier for Bioware if Mass Effect 3 was a piece of crap in its entirety. Hudson words are true for the majority of the game. Players do get to see the consequences of their actions from ME1 and ME2 in terms of Malon's research, previous romances, recurring crew-members. Those were great and in keeping with what made the series fun.

I think that's what highlights the faults of the ending. I imagine there would be nowhere near this much moaning if fans were able to say well, the whole thing was crap, what do you expect.

As it is now, since its the last 10 minutes of the game, people feel like the can fix it rather than write it off as a lost cause.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
This just makes me glad I decided not to buy it at all. Granted, you can't really know before you play a game (hurr reviews) if you'll like it or not, but I'd rather be disappointed that I didn't get a good game than disappointed that I was right in not buying it in the first place.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
This has been posted at the Bioware forums for over three days.

Hardly "breaking news." Speaking of news, I'd say this hardly qualifies as it contains a real healthy dose of editorializing towards the end. It would have been better labeled as an opinion piece rather than news.

OT

I wouldn't hold any breaths on the idea of any kind of change to the ending. I maintain that while the ending is far from good, the ending is also not the complete deal breaker that so many have said it is. It's just a real lazy, stupid unsatisfying ending. many games have these. Too little resource goes into them. Any other franchise would have gotten away with it. Mass Effect is rather special in that it really engaged the audience. The disconnect between haw the ending was treated vs the rest of the game is what really has gotten in people's britches.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
again, they skirt the real issues here... i wish i could lock them in a room, and FORCE THEM to read and acknowledge every point on

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

that list. don't just give us some god damned politician's answer.

and if you haven't read that article, it's a great read and i recommend checking it out.
I think I totally understand the ending rage now.

GT5Canuck

Feb 25, 2012
This, linked through Reddit last week, more thoroughly and convincingly explains EA/Bioware's response so far, and where it will go, than anything else I've seen. http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10084349/

Sleepless Gamer

Mar 18, 2012
All that i'm getting from listening to him, is that he has ears. I honestly don't think they will do jack and try and wait it out. Well if i am right, and i REALLY hope i'm not to clarify. Then I don't think i'll be bothering with any of their paid DLC from now.

On another note i really did'nt much care for the from Ashes DLC, i mean i wanted it due to the fact if Gamestation actually got my bloody 360 collectors ed in, id have had it anyway but eh, can't change that now.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Well. This really doesnt help at all does it.

My glass is half full, so even if my heart is crying blood I still choose to believe that Bioware will fix this either because

1: They have a shred of care for their fans
2: They have a shred of care for the reputation
or
3: The have a need for money from DLC

I dont really care about the reason, but I hope they will do something.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
digital warrior said:
Look here is a pretty good rundown on why biowares ending makes no sense. note its 15 pages long. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QT4IUepvrU1pfv_B95oQj0H84DlCTUmzQ_uQh1voTUs/preview?pli=1&sle=true
My god, it really is Deception all over again!

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
We always intended that the scale of the conflict and the underlying theme of sacrifice would lead to a bittersweet ending-to do otherwise would betray the agonizing decisions Shepard had to make along the way. Still, we wanted to give players the chance to experience an inspiring and uplifting ending; in a story where you face a hopeless struggle for basic survival, we see the final moments and imagery as offering victory and hope in the context of sacrifice and reflection.
And that would be great, if the ending actually had any of those things.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
BioWare will continue to hem and haw about this situation for as long as possible, and I can't honestly blame them for wanting to. Really, there is no way for them to win in this situation; the "fan base" has them cornered when it comes to every option, with those being:

A) They leave the game as is, and claim that the original game is "as intended". The "Retake Mass Effect" movement will cry foul, and will ask the gaming community to both disown BioWare and to boycott any upcoming games. People will continue to send complaints to the FTC and BBB, and this controversy will continue.

B) They work pro bono to complete an entire new ending to the game. If it differs from the endings written by the fans, people will still be angered by the new ending; if it uses a plot point that a fan did come up with, people may enjoy the ending, but will persecute BioWare for being unable to come up with "original" writing anymore. Either way, Mass Effect 3 will permanently have that '*' next to its title in gamer history as being one that "could've been written better by fans".

C) They work (for pay) to complete an entire new ending to the game, and sell it as DLC. Gamers across the internet (regardless of whether they played the game or not) will declare this as clear and definitive proof that EvilArts has corrupted all that is/used to be the BioWare that everyone grew up with and cherished. See the consequences for option A, except replace the "fix the ending" banner motto with "split from EA". Yes, I understand that many have stated that they would be willing to pay for a fix, but you know that an argument like the one above will arise.

While I understand that they were the ones that dug this hole by making the ending how it currently plays, it is the fans that are covering said hole, thereby eliminating any chance of escape.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
I dispute the idea that it was a labour of love when they tack a horrible "Buy our DLC" page on to the end of the game.

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
HeWhoFightsBosses said:
Hudson, when are you going to actually TRY to justify this shitty ending? How it makes no sense, how it kills the themes set up by the previous games, and how it takes the choices we made over the course of the series and throws them into a fire?

You promised, FUCKING PROMISED, NO LESS, an ending that would widely vary depending on the choices we made, but then... THIS.

I'm not trying to sound entitled, but a series as amazing as Mass Effect deserves better than this. Yahtzee put it perfectly in his Splatterhouse review; "Seems there's an obvious way to avoid this: make the intro first, the ending second, then everything in between. That way if anything feels rushed or cut down, it'll be one of the bits in the middle no one cares about, while the ending is what people will remember."
My thoughts exactly

dragonshardz said:
EA and Bioware can go suck a donkey boner... After the Dragon Age 2 debacle and now this, people should REALLY, and I do mean REALLY consider ignoring their products in the future (though knowing the state of the playerbase and how Activision continues to milk their franchises I highly doubt it will ever happen).
Say whatever you want about DA2, but the ending of that game is somewhat proper since the ending is obviously a sequel bait and it gave you some idea on what happened to the land and the party after the game is finished (not as comprehensive as DA:O though)