Mass Effect 3 Director Addresses Ending Controversy

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
"So we designed Mass Effect 3 to be a series of endings to key plots and storylines, each culminating in scenes that show you the consequences of your actions."
Then we changed our minds and made an ABC ending where every option sucks, and no matter which you chose, not a single thing you've done so far will have any impact on the ending whatsoever.

Thanks, Bioware.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
With all the moola Bioware has raked in with Mass Effect 3, they'd better hire themselves some good spin doctors because this is pathetic.

Chaos42

Feb 25, 2010
the dlc better be 2 things Cheap or free and brilliant. other wise were all going to be a little pissed because they have deus exed the ending. I don't want 3 choices i want a choice made from all the crap ive been doing up till now.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
soren7550 said:
I'm just waiting for two things:
- A DLC to fix this mess
- BioWare to man up, admit they did wrong, and stop with the poli-talk.
Bioware still talks about DA2 like its the best thing ever to happen to RPGs, even though its pretty much universally panned by customers and mocked by more than a few critics and influential editorial pieces.

I doubt ME3 will see anything better.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
ITT: Entitled whiners continue to get pissy about the last 4 minutes of an amazing 30-34 hour game. "It's not teh endinng I wuz prooomissed.... wah. My choices diiidunt maaaaterr.. WAH!"

Honestly, it's really embarassing to be a video game player sometimes.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
freakydan said:
To all you people whining because you were "promised" better for the ending:
-nothing relevant-
In short: Grow up. That is all.
Mister Linton said:
ITT: Entitled whiners continue to get pissy about the last 4 minutes of an amazing 30-34 hour game. "It's not teh endinng I wuz prooomissed.... wah. My choices diiidunt maaaaterr.. WAH!"

This video was originaly made in response to IGN (Colin Moriarty), it may also apply to you both.

It's not a matter of "promise", they >>advertised several times<< features that were obviously not present on the game.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
lol except non of your decisions really matters. none. and some just ignored (Anderson). i'm done with bioware and mass effect.

freakydan

Jan 28, 2010
My last post came off WAY more whiny than I intended it, as several people have been kind enough to point out. My point is simply that the gaming world has always been full of disappointments (ET, Superman 64, Daikatana, Duke Nukem Forever). Hell, if I remember correctly, didn't Duke Nukem Forever actually say in game that the game was worth the wait? Wasn't that quote used in most of the game's ads? I've never been surprised when a game/movie/whatever doesn't live up to the hype/commercials/pre-release interviews. It's just a natural part of the monster. I'm actually surprised that Bioware has responded to the outcry at all. Note, before you start jumping down my throat about that last statement, that I didn't say they SHOULDN'T. I think it's great that they did. I just didn't think they would.

Arina Love said:
lol except non of your decisions really matters. none. and some just ignored (Anderson). i'm done with bioware and mass effect.
I believe that's actually addressed in one of the books. Don't quote me on that, as I've only read a little bit of the first book, which takes place well before the first game, but from what I've heard, Anderson voluntarily steps down. It's kinda stupid for them to put such a big plot point in a book and not at least reference it directly in game, but there it is.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Arina Love said:
Yeah! Like how in the first game, deciding who lives and hwo dies doesnt matter...because you... decide who lives... and who dies?
Or how in the last game, letting the Quarians be wiped out for their own stupidity doesnt matter...because...they wouldnt have died if you saved them?
Or...how the...renegade ending...can kill an entire race...but the paragon one...doesnt?
Im lost.

I cant understand comments like this with mounds of evidence to the contrary.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Apparently I HAVE been living under a rock, because this is the first I've heard about any controversy...
Same. Honestly, what he's describing here doesn't sound that bad. How did they fuck it up?

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
I could get behind the Sacrifice theme; but you guys sacrificed logic, consistency, common sense and continuity with this ending.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
RJ Dalton said:
Simalacrum said:
Apparently I HAVE been living under a rock, because this is the first I've heard about any controversy...
Same. Honestly, what he's describing here doesn't sound that bad. How did they fuck it up?
My opinion? Not bad. The endings are visually similar to each other and require sacrifice, so its not a "happy" happy ending.

A lot of people think its just aweful but i havnt found one person yet who will lay out the reasons why in a manner that isnt either...well...stupid, or easily disputed (see my above post of key instances where your choices do matter, in direct oposition to someones claim)

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
shado_temple said:
BioWare will continue to hem and haw about this situation for as long as possible, and I can't honestly blame them for wanting to. Really, there is no way for them to win in this situation; the "fan base" has them cornered when it comes to every option, with those being:

A) They leave the game as is, and claim that the original game is "as intended". The "Retake Mass Effect" movement will cry foul, and will ask the gaming community to both disown BioWare and to boycott any upcoming games. People will continue to send complaints to the FTC and BBB, and this controversy will continue.

B) They work pro bono to complete an entire new ending to the game. If it differs from the endings written by the fans, people will still be angered by the new ending; if it uses a plot point that a fan did come up with, people may enjoy the ending, but will persecute BioWare for being unable to come up with "original" writing anymore. Either way, Mass Effect 3 will permanently have that '*' next to its title in gamer history as being one that "could've been written better by fans".

C) They work (for pay) to complete an entire new ending to the game, and sell it as DLC. Gamers across the internet (regardless of whether they played the game or not) will declare this as clear and definitive proof that EvilArts has corrupted all that is/used to be the BioWare that everyone grew up with and cherished. See the consequences for option A, except replace the "fix the ending" banner motto with "split from EA". Yes, I understand that many have stated that they would be willing to pay for a fix, but you know that an argument like the one above will arise.

While I understand that they were the ones that dug this hole by making the ending how it currently plays, it is the fans that are covering said hole, thereby eliminating any chance of escape.
Honestly option B is their best option. While yes people will will say it was just a copy of what the fans wanted the support for such a movement will be lucky to have half the numbers of the current one. At this point it isn't about appeasing everyone it is about damage control to their reputation.

Option A will just leave their reputation as it is, beaten and bruised after DA2 and ME3 ending. Option C may appease some people and will make them a lot of money but it will also piss off a lot more people, even those who are not ME fans. Option B will leave some pissed off but will appease the majority.

Muphin_Mann

Oct 4, 2007
Jodah said:
shado_temple said:
BioWare will continue to hem and haw about this situation for as long as possible, and I can't honestly blame them for wanting to. Really, there is no way for them to win in this situation; the "fan base" has them cornered when it comes to every option, with those being:

A) They leave the game as is, and claim that the original game is "as intended". The "Retake Mass Effect" movement will cry foul, and will ask the gaming community to both disown BioWare and to boycott any upcoming games. People will continue to send complaints to the FTC and BBB, and this controversy will continue.

B) They work pro bono to complete an entire new ending to the game. If it differs from the endings written by the fans, people will still be angered by the new ending; if it uses a plot point that a fan did come up with, people may enjoy the ending, but will persecute BioWare for being unable to come up with "original" writing anymore. Either way, Mass Effect 3 will permanently have that '*' next to its title in gamer history as being one that "could've been written better by fans".

C) They work (for pay) to complete an entire new ending to the game, and sell it as DLC. Gamers across the internet (regardless of whether they played the game or not) will declare this as clear and definitive proof that EvilArts has corrupted all that is/used to be the BioWare that everyone grew up with and cherished. See the consequences for option A, except replace the "fix the ending" banner motto with "split from EA". Yes, I understand that many have stated that they would be willing to pay for a fix, but you know that an argument like the one above will arise.

While I understand that they were the ones that dug this hole by making the ending how it currently plays, it is the fans that are covering said hole, thereby eliminating any chance of escape.
Honestly option B is their best option. While yes people will will say it was just a copy of what the fans wanted the support for such a movement will be lucky to have half the numbers of the current one. At this point it isn't about appeasing everyone it is about damage control to their reputation.

Option A will just leave their reputation as it is, beaten and bruised after DA2 and ME3 ending. Option C may appease some people and will make them a lot of money but it will also piss off a lot more people, even those who are not ME fans. Option B will leave some pissed off but will appease the majority.
I have yet to see any evidence that the fans could write a better ending.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
What a load of shit, find the biggest rock and hide behind it.
One day they'll have to justify their laziness.
We are given no insight to what our decision's conciquences are, and we were promised an ending based on how you played the damned games!
Everyone's ending is the damned same.
"You then carry the knowledge of these consequences with you as you complete the final moments of your journey" What a load of fuck-tard laziness. For christs sake I can't remember everything with perfect detail I did in the other 2 games! Don't expect me to reflect over those shit endings you gave, SHOW IT.

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Muphin_Mann said:
RJ Dalton said:
Simalacrum said:
My opinion? Not bad. The endings are visually similar to each other and require sacrifice, so its not a "happy" happy ending.

A lot of people think its just aweful but i havnt found one person yet who will lay out the reasons why in a manner that isnt either...well...stupid, or easily disputed (see my above post of key instances where your choices do matter, in direct oposition to someones claim)
Don't know if you've seen already... but here are a few links.

Heavy Spoilers.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Mister Linton said:

1. Last 15 minutes or so. Semantics, but yeah.
2. We are being kind. We could just leave Bioware to rot and not buy another of their games. Hell, Amazon is giving full refunds on ME3, so we could trade it in too. Instead, we are telling the Devs what they've done wrong, and how to fix it. Far kinder than leaving them lot with no job don't you think?
3. We are well within our rights to complain. Imagine if the next CoD was talked up to be the fastest paced CoD game ever, with more maps than any other, more guns, bigger explosions and an the best FPS of 2012, only to have it be released as a turn based Tactical shooter along the lines of Jagged Alliance. You can bet people would be POd
Yeah, this is about the ending. Know what? This whole game was about the ending. That's why we bought it. To bring a satisfying end to Shepard's story. When the whole point of the game turns out to be crap, we'll be pissed. We have a right to be, and anyone who says otherwise apparently doesn't have the right to return a faulty product to anywhere, as they're just being entitled.

Muphin_Mann said:
Yeah! Like how in the first game, deciding who lives and hwo dies doesnt matter...because you... decide who lives... and who dies?
Or how in the last game, letting the Quarians be wiped out for their own stupidity doesnt matter...because...they wouldnt have died if you saved them?
Or...how the...renegade ending...can kill an entire race...but the paragon one...doesnt?
Im lost.

I cant understand comments like this with mounds of evidence to the contrary.
Please, tell me the differences in these endings, and how my choices affected them. Please, do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPelM2hwhJA&feature=youtu.be
To me, they all look the same.
Indirectly you can say your choices had consequence, but when it comes down to it, they didn't. No matter which choice you made, one of these three multicoloured explosions will happen. No matter what choice you made, the battle for Earth will play out the same, with 1 or 2 minor variations. That isn't your choice changing anything, that is your choice changing nothing. You can imagine that your choices effected something, but they didn't. Why? You can imagine anything you want. Sure, you can say that because you cured the Genophage, the Krogan will now live happily and reclaim their place in Krogan Society. I say that because the Genophage was cured, the Salarians plant and activate a WMD on Tuchanka, wiping out 80% of Krogans in existence as they gathered for breeding, thus dooming the Krogan to exile.
No matter what happens, you can imagine what you want to happen, but that's all it will be - your imaginings. What really happens is 'Speculation for Everyone!', and the game ends the same way no matter what. Bioware made a bad ending that didn't honour your choices at all. We have our right to complain about it.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
You know what I can't wait for? The DLC that takes place in the galaxy you pretty much made devoid of inter-stellar travel. Yeah... No one's going anywhere except to that broken remains of Earth, and whatever Joker and friends landed on. They'll probably just join the Na'vi. Looks like Pandora to me.