Mass Effect 3 DLC Appears on Xbox Live

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Alpha Centauri said:
Oh day 1 DLC, if there was only a way that i could explain my loathing for you, possibly with a British Accent, oh wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G269b4efFUAAAAAAAAAA
That was a good watch. Very well said. My rage is kind of burned out at this point, but I'm in agreement. This is getting ludicrous.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
rolfwesselius said:
It is possible.
a giant water wheel in an underground river,a solar power plant that's still active,etc,etc could probably power a single cryo pod.
But why would such a cryo-pod exist? I highly doubt there would be time to prepare such a device during the Reaper invasion.

My statement about there needing to be a very good reason for this DLC remains, and I will not be convinced until I see it first-hand. Which will likely be in a year or so, once I can actually scrape together enough money for both a new computer, ME3 (which will only be available in standard edition by the time I can buy it) and the additional price for the DLC.

Llamazoid

Mar 10, 2011
CounterAttack said:
From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.
Yeah, I'm intrigued about having a Prothean in my squad but also uncomfortable. As you said there's no real way (that I can see) they can introduce the character that doesn't contradict their previous lore. In Mass Effect 1, Vigil turned off their life support on Ilos and in Mass Effect 2 one of the biggest reveals was that the remaining Prothean's were actually implanted with tech to make them a labor force for the Reapers (aka the Collectors).

It's going to take a lot of convincing and very skilled writing to integrate this character into the plot-line in a acceptable way. None the less I've already pre-ordered the Collectors Edition before this was announced so it's going to be an interesting experience.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
CounterAttack said:
rolfwesselius said:
It is possible.
a giant water wheel in an underground river,a solar power plant that's still active,etc,etc could probably power a single cryo pod.
But why would such a cryo-pod exist? I highly doubt there would be time to prepare such a device during the Reaper invasion.
How long would it take to jury rig a cryo pod into the power network of a solar power plant?
i think an hour at most and what if the reapers are busy destroying an outer planet in the system?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Dorkmaster Flek said:
It means I don't buy your game until there's a discount bundle with all the DLC a year from now. Fuck your day one DLC and online passes EA.
And the horse they rode in on. I wont even buy that shit with a stolen credit card.

I guess it was only a matter of time before they started selling DLC before the actual launch.
The good news is that with pre-launch, day 1 dlc, and dlc that (let's face it) was probably done when the game was finished we no longer have much of a wait for those goty/complete editions. The one for LA Noir came out a few months later.
And they wonder why we don't buy their new releases. Fuck them in the goat-ass.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Right. Fuck you EA I'm out.

I was on board when it came to Origin and I'm fine with the IOS games but this is to freaking far. Do not remove content from the game to you can sell it on day one. I dont care if it wont change a thing, there is no way in hell I'm buying Mass Effect 3 now, such a waste of such a brilliant series.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
10$ day one DLC? Fuck you BioWare. It'd be one thing if it wasn't a whole character who seems to be integral to the plot (The Exiled Prince DLC for Dragon Age 2 was absurd too, but at least Sebastian wasn't important to the plot) but this seems like this would be a huge important plot point, with there being a Prothean and all.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Alpha Centauri said:
Oh day 1 DLC, if there was only a way that i could explain my loathing for you, possibly with a British Accent, oh wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G269b4efFUAAAAAAAAAA
Listening while reading the article LOL. Nice to me another member of the Cynical Fleet!

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Irridium said:
JasonBurnout16 said:
I've played mass effect 1 and 2 and read three of the books.

But what the hell is a prothean? I have no clue! (I did read, and play the game,a long time ago.)
The race the Reapers wiped out 50,000 years ago.

You go to one of their worlds at the end of ME1 (Ilos), meed a Prothean VI, and learn about their last moments from him.

In ME2 you learn that the collectors are heavily modified Protheans.

They're... pretty integral. Kind of surprised you don't know about them.
It was a long time ago that I played Mass Effect and I have played a lot of games since then.

I remember the main aliens - turians, krogans, Quarians, the blue women, thane (Cause he was a green fish) and the geth. But there is little chance of me remembering something as small as one level.

Windu23

Aug 6, 2008
JasonBurnout16 said:
Irridium said:
JasonBurnout16 said:
I've played mass effect 1 and 2 and read three of the books.

But what the hell is a prothean? I have no clue! (I did read, and play the game,a long time ago.)
The race the Reapers wiped out 50,000 years ago.

You go to one of their worlds at the end of ME1 (Ilos), meed a Prothean VI, and learn about their last moments from him.

In ME2 you learn that the collectors are heavily modified Protheans.

They're... pretty integral. Kind of surprised you don't know about them.
It was a long time ago that I played Mass Effect and I have played a lot of games since then.

I remember the main aliens - turians, krogans, Quarians, the blue women, thane (Cause he was a green fish) and the geth. But there is little chance of me remembering something as small as one level.
The blue women are called Asari. And Thane, a drell, is more reptilian than fish. Moist atmospheres are deadly to them.

And it wasn't just a small thing on one level. It was a pretty big revelation that was heavily discussed for the majority of the latter half of the game.

But this is all rather new for me, so the memory might be fresher.

Also, don't take any of that personally. People fudging details, purposely or not, is a pet peeve of mine.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
okay i feel cheated but not getting a Prothean on my squad without paying for it but i feel like paying for it now out of curiosity...

also, i did not believe i would see a prothean at all before a quarian face

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Wait a minute, so who the hell were these guys?

CounterAttack said:
From a lore standpoint, I do not want to believe this. The Protheans were entirely wiped out in the previous cycle of genocide. Vigil stated as much in the first game: after the Reapers left, only a dozen scientists remained on Ilos, not enough to repopulate. Vigil killed most of them out of necessity, and the last of them died of starvation.

It makes no sense to have a Prothean character in Mass Effect 3. If this legitimately does exist, there had better be a damn good explanation for it.
I willing to bet that because this squad member looks like a Collector, the explanation is going to be something like this. Some scientists capture a Collector and "biologically reverse engineer" it's genes or some shit and now it's a Prothean again.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Mydogisblue said:
I'm willing to bet that because this squad member looks like a Collector, the explanation is going to be something like this. Some scientists capture a Collector and "biologically reverse engineer" it's genes or some shit and now it's a Prothean again.
That could never happen. The Protheans that were turned into Collectors were mutated through Reaper technology, already marking them. They also have no intelligence of their own, because they're indoctrinated and have been for so long. Because of the indoctrination damaging their mental functions, they were also given Reaper cybernetics, another method of control (remember Saren at the end of ME1?).

According to the Mass Effect wiki, the Prothean squad member has been in stasis for the past fifty millennia. With that in mind there is undoubtedly some ridiculous reasoning for it being there in the first place. Again, I myself will need to see first-hand to believe.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sigh...what happened to the days of Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins? When just buying the regular copy of the game new was enough to give you the bonus character? I'm a little miffed at this to be sure.
Still totally picking it up though.

Harper0341

Mar 31, 2010
I was already disappointing when they removed the Battlefield 3 copy from the preorder (like five minutes prior to me deciding that I would buy into it). Then I see this shit. I am so glad that I hesitated now.

ANGRY INTERNET MEN UNITE!!!!

Maybe if we ***** enough, they'll change their minds. Too bad I am too afraid to ***** on the official forums. *sigh*

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Windu23 said:
The blue women are called Asari. And Thane, a drell, is more reptilian than fish. Moist atmospheres are deadly to them.

And it wasn't just a small thing on one level. It was a pretty big revelation that was heavily discussed for the majority of the latter half of the game.

But this is all rather new for me, so the memory might be fresher.

Also, don't take any of that personally. People fudging details, purposely or not, is a pet peeve of mine.
It does surprise me too that someone could play through ME1 (especially) and ME2 and not know what the Protheans are. After all, in the first game, the Prothean Beacon (and the visions Shepard gets from it) are basically one of the main driving points of that games plot.

That and the mortal races of both games believe the Protheans to have built everything they have built current galactic society on (Citadel, mass relays and the like). Then, as you said, there is the whole Collector/Prothean reveal and the second vision, if you find it.

So yeh, they really are a pretty big deal.

I'm getting my CE of ME3 anyway, but knowing this now, I will feel a bit guilty when picking up this Prothean squadmate now.