Mass Effect 3 ending SPOILERS!

Skyeguy72

Apr 1, 2011
I 100% agree with u, they better make it like broken steel because I spent countless hours replaying mass effect 1 and 2 and then playing both on insanity for the challenge and i worked hard to get an ending where everything is perfect, Its an RPG game i should be able to get any ending i aimed for

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'd actually appreciate if they did an epilogue function like in Dragon Age: Origins. Even though the game had ended, they made the effort to show the results of your changes, and even hint at things to come.

At least before DA2 ignored all of that, but that's beside the point. The point is that there needs to be some sort of closure. You didn't just change the face of the galaxy over six years only for it all to be left ambiguous.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
I just....i don't know what to think about this, they took the game i loved, that i had spent years on and crapped on every single choice that was ever made in it. Who honestly thought this would be good? who honestly thought that this would be good really....

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Like a lot of the posts I've seen here, the only really bad part seems to be the endings, which were overwhelmingly depressing and made me feel like the majority of the game was spent preparing for war, only to have it wasted.

I got the Turians and Krogan to work together, managed to wrangle the Asari and Salarians on my side, not to mention assets from the Batarians, Hanar, Elcor, Volus, and Drell, the Terminus Forces are on my side and I didn't have to do too much that was stepping out of my Paragon leanings. Then I prepared the Citadel for attack, and got the Quarians and Geth to get along. Even with the 'Good' Ending where you can destroy all synthetics, EDI and the Geth are screwed. Synthesis seemed too vague for me, and I wasn't willing to stoop so low as to control the Reapers.

Personally, I am only a little upset that Shepard ends up dead no matter what, but galactic change on that scale? How can they make any more Mass Effect games that feel like Mass Effect still? Either the Geth are gone entirely, the Reapers are around still and possibly even messing around with everything, or everyone is fused to some sort of machine. That, along with the loss of all the Mass Relays and the Citadel? I'd love to see how Bioware reconciles this.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ending, but I would definitely have preferred an ending similar to Mass Effect 2's, only more intense and grander in scale. This... Just makes me sad, disappointed, and feel like Shepard went through all of that for nothing.

[EDIT]: After having started my Fem-Shep play-through, I think I realized the key to why the endings were so dissatisfying: They don't feel like they belong in Mass Effect. That, along with the dreams with the kid in the forest felt out-of-place.

XX55XX

Mar 15, 2011
Actually, if your EMS score is high enough, Shepard can "live" in the destroy ending.

Kennian

Apr 20, 2009
This ending is brutal...with the mass effect relays down, whole sections of council space will have no food, TRILLIONS will die.

messy...

Edit: this would make Fusion the only decent ending, This and the whole Tali fiasco has had my ME3 collectors edition sitting on my shelf unused... i honestly dont know if i want to play it now

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
With the on going backlash at the ending, I don't doubt there will be a Broken Steel Mass Effect DLC.

On the ending, I got depressed when my options were:

Kill all synthetic life. I like EDI too much, and Legion's sacrifice was so heartwrenching (for fuck sake he said I instead of We before dying), and finally the Geth and the Quarians were getting along, it just not seemed fair. Normandy is lost, and so is space travel, and colonies are fucked, as well as the galactic civilization/ the fleet is forever stuck in the solar system.

Merge, against the will of many, and having to forcefully become part synthetic, the reapers get to live. Normandy is lost, and so is space travel, and colonies are fucked, as well as the galactic civilization/ the fleet is forever stuck in the solar system.

Control, it's bullshit that after all this time, the goddamn Illusive Man was right, and too be honest I didn't want Shepard to be lord of the reapers in dark space forever.

What really annoys me is that this twist is a shitty Deus Ex Machina, coming out of left field, adding an almost foreigner and out of place dimension to the reapers, and the spirit kid cliche'd ass logic ( My answer to him would have been: Use the reapers to protect organics from their synthetic creations, problem solve/the way to preserve organics is to torture, kill, butcher and throw the butchered members of the races against the living ones?"

That and, why and how the hell was the normandy near the mass relay when the crucible fired? From the Relay to the vanguard (Hacket called it the tip of the spear) of the Sword fleet , there's a fair distance.

but to top it all off, that vague uninspired The Shepard epilogue made me so fucking sour.

After years of Against All Odds we will survive, we will win, we are forced to fuck up the galaxy and our friends.

Still the ending can't spoil the Rachni nest ending, God I trembled, I shaked and then I lifted myself up and said FUCK YEAH in the dead of the night.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
I uninstalled ME3 after I finished it.

I was that let down by the ending.
Stupid, out of nowhere, pointless, pathetic, and utterly cliche.

Why could they not have just had the macguffin do its thing like in other sci-fi, and say:
GOOD JOB YOU WON!
I have 15 Shepards to play, which I wont since ME3 is this pathetic.

I loved 9/10 of the game....than the ending happened.
Today I learned that I still have a heart...and it still can be broken.

Skyeguy72

Apr 1, 2011
I feel the exact same way. all that work just to see how it all ties together in the end. and that didnt happen I could live knowing shepard died for a cause but this seemed like his life was the harbinger of destruction, even in fall out 3 where u die they tell you what happened to everyone, hopefully they follow fallout 3 and make a epilogue

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Honestly, it was the most fun I had in the entire series. Odd that it ended with such a cliffhanger after beating the Illusive Man. You'd think they would put in an ending, not some speculation out of a bad fanfic.

Sarcasm aside, I was expecting some sort of deus ex machina thing (they wrote themselves into one), but something as bizarre as that. All three of the endings basically screwed over the galaxy, and a few of them just didn't make much sense (energy pulse -> everyone is organic/synthetic hybrid now..?). I was hoping for some sort of deal where the Crucible say disabled mass effect cores or shields/barriers for some time, meaning the Reapers would be a lot more vulnerable and the shields really didn't save anyone on the organic side anyway. Also, all of the planet-side reapers would crash to the ground, being unable to support themselves. Both of those combined, give the organics an actual chance of taking down the reapers (and then the whole "readiness" of the fleets come together, deciding the final outcome).

Finally, what the fuck was the deal with the kid-AI-citadel thing? While the reoccurring theme of the kid in the dreams was effective, the second they used that for the AI, it went from representing loss of earth etc to some bizarre plot-hole ridden thing. Honestly, if the citadel was what controlled the reapers, why the hell did it have the whole process with keepers and sovereign in the first place? Wouldn't some supreme AI be smart enough to figure out to just call the other reapers on its own...? The second I saw that AI thing I understood why there was all that rage about the leaked script.

Oh, and for anyone who missed it, there was a short clip at the end of the credits, not worth the wait IMO, but worth a look up if anyone has it on youtube yet.

Deremix

Apr 2, 2010
Actually, eventhorizon, you just reminded me. The ending scene says "Okay, one more story..." Does that mean Epilogue DLC? Maybe even DLC that rids of the endings? Who knows?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
I don't know - I'm not there yet, but the endings sound pretty cool to me. Depressing, but cool.

Not as cool as the Renegade ending I predicted however.

My Prediction: Lure Reapers to specific star systems (or go where there is already a large concentration of them).

Use Tali's research from ME2 (recruitment mission) or Arrival technique to BLOW UP SAID STAR SYSTEMS.

Yes, this includes Earth.

Finish off remaining reapers with fleets.

Oh well, a missed opportunity. I totally thought they were foreshadowing that. **shrug**

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Eh, my feeling from the ending was so they could sell more DLC, because people could play it even after beating the story. My Shepard DIED. How the hell is he building the legend after all of these events?

Captcha: "Good samaritan" ...uh ok ... I guess?

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
Why the hell did i fight a human reaper at the end of Mass effect 2? I mean none of that stuff had any bearing? Not that this is the biggest issue, but now becuase im so disatisfied im going back through everthing that is wrong with this game. What a way to waste a great game.

EDIT: you know why i realize i am so disapointed. The fact that nothing i do means anything on any real scale makes me not want to play the game over to see all of the different choices. They dont mean anything anyway.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
Seriously terrible endings. I don't even know where to begin on how bad they are.

The worst thing is, Bioware has to have known how terrible these endings were. There is no way they couldn't have realized this would piss off 99% of their players. So they either don't care, EA wouldn't let them spend time/resources on accounting for all the different variables throughout the game for proper endings and made them use an "everyone dies" ending instead, or they want a reason to sell massive amounts of "better ending" DLC.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Personally, from what I read, I don't know how well it fits the tone of the series. To me, Mass Effect has always been about defying the odds and living to tell about it. The type of people who laugh in the face of death, yet pull through
I mean, at least to me, the suicide mission from ME2 was very much a trip through hell and back, in ways more that one

"Losing no matter what" didn't seem very consistent. But I haven't played it yet.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
CM156 said:
Personally, from what I read, I don't know how well it fits the tone of the series. To me, Mass Effect has always been about defying the odds and living to tell about it. The type of people who laugh in the face of death, yet pull through
I mean, at least to me, the suicide mission from ME2 was very much a trip through hell and back, in ways more that one

"Losing no matter what" didn't seem very consistent. But I haven't played it yet.
The endings do go against the whole series. In the end, no matter what, you lose and it SUCKS. It's like they were on a roll and then had someone with no prior knowledge of the series to come in and make the endings.