Mass Effect 3 Gives Steam a Miss at Launch

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Baresark said:
I'm not convinced, look at this statement: "Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection ... Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital."

It sounds to me like it's going to install it, no matter what. But, it says you only need a constant connection when playing online. But, I'm not making any decisions until I know for sure, because the way this is worded, it is very vague and could go either way.
ok, i thought i read it in the ME3 forum but i am wrong. someone also is asking this question and i have checked nearly 20 pages in hope to find the answer. dint find anything. but even when it doesn not require origin to run in the background, ?A still will not get my money. i dont want them to scan my stuff just to activate the game. and it does scan your system before you even agree to the terms.

and besides, its ?A we are talking about. so you can be pretty sure that origin will be required to run in the background just for playing the SP.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, this is unfortunate, i rather like using Steam.
I suppose i may have to get Origin, tho I`m not really fond of the idea...
Oh well, we shall see how this goes.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
burhanr said:
I think some guy mentioned that DLCs for Steam games HAVE to be distributed through Steam, but I believe I have to use BioWare points for my Mass Effect 2, and Steam is fine with that. They just want their service to be popular don't they? I kinda don't understand, isn't hosting your own server cost you money?
Fallout 3's DLC was sold and distributed exclusively through GFWL for some time (you can get it on Steam now, though). I think Sims 3 has some kind of integrated marketplace. So I doubt it's that.

Unless they want to sell DLC codes on their own marketplace, then use the Steam servers to distribute it without recompense. Which would be kinda a dick move, tbh. =/

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
That is rather unfortunate, I'd have liked to play it. I won't install Origin for it, so I'll either wait for a crack, or not bother at all. Propably the latter.

I would consider buying it for the PS3, if they would let me import my ME2 PC save, but we all know it's not going to happen.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I really dislike EA for their business practices, but I still buy games from them every now and again.
However, I absolutely REFUSE to use Origin.
I will NOT buy this game if this Origin requirement persists. End of story.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Plumerou said:
i heard that the restrictions they talk about is buying DLC from within the game to avoid paying to Valve a little percentage, but im not sure thats the case, so can someone please confirm this? i remember reading it somewhere, but cant really remember where
I think it's more because Steam will put the DLC on sale whenever the game goes on sale. As far as I know, Bioware doesn't have sales on their DLC. I may be wrong though.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
008Zulu said:
octafish said:
It isn't. The ToS for Origin clearly states that EA cannot sell any information gathered. It is for internal EA use only.
So? Who says they can't trade the info away or give it away for free on the promise of a returned service or favour later down the line?
The same contract that they will hold you to. Have you even read the Origin ToS/EULA or the EA Privacy Policy? I have.
Ympulse said:
octafish said:
It isn't. The ToS for Origin clearly states that EA cannot sell any information gathered. It is for internal EA use only.
Internal use: take system specs/other personal information and plug them into oddly specific metrics.

Those oddly specific metrics are now a product of EA that you do not have a stake in. EA then sells the information from those oddly specific metrics just like Facebook does.

Come on now, you cant be THAT dense...
Once again, read their ToS/EULA and Privacy Policy, it is written in plain English. Of course I recommend reading the ToS/EULA before applying any updates to make sure the terms you originally agreed to still apply. If they change the EULA/ToS you have the right to revert the agreement to the one you first agreed to if you contact them about it.

I do like reading the Facebook comments about people refusing to use Origin because it is an invasion of privacy. Hilarious!

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Heres my two penneth: Okay people saying Steam did the same service wise on release. Here is why you are wrong. An offence comitted in the Steam forums will not get you banned from your games list. EA has a habit of deleting your games from origin for minor and nonexistant infarctions. Even cheating on steam will get you a ban from multiplayer games secured with VAC. That is it. Second ME3 is shaping up to be mass market DA2 style wank anyway, but thats imaterial to this. Thirdly: I use steam. I have one digital distribution service on my computer. Don't want another.

Heres the real kicker, ME3 will be available on other distribution services that aren't origin, just not Steam. This is very much a choice because steam is the most popular and EA does not want to hand them more, if a relatively small, slice of the profits.

So no, Origin is nothing like Steam as a service because the ethic behind it is nigh on unforgivable when an automated swear checker can delete your account because your name came up in a quote. Anybody arguing otherwise must be licking EA love juice from their lips as we speak.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
EA, you guy's really need to fire your PR guys, all I'm getting is 'EA is bitching again', or 'EA wants more money they don't deserve'.

Bioware, cut loose now.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
Not surprising. I couldn't care less either way, though, I'm not one of those people who feel the need to have every single game of theirs on Steam.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Vindictus said:
This is getting worse and worse. I really hate to deny Bioware hard-earned money, but I'm not happy with Origin being active for a game like Mass Effect. Looks like I'll be joining the pirate bandwagon as soon as it's available.
you can buy the console version ME3 for the 360/ps3 neither of them need Origins
Neither the 360 / PS3 have mouse support for ME3 and playing a 3rd person shooter on a joypad sucks more than Origin's info raping.

octafish said:
I do like reading the Facebook comments about people refusing to use Origin because it is an invasion of privacy. Hilarious!
Since Facebook does not rape your hardware and software details and usage, then it makes sense. Maybe they are OK with Facebook's level of voluntary invasion but are not with Origin's forced invasions.

Fed up of these 'Facebook is worse comments', no it isn't. You have complete control over what info you give to Facebook. You don't want Facebook to know something about you, simple don't tell it. It's not the same as Origin's we have the right to take whatever details we want from your system if you agree to use our service just to play that game you want.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
"Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content"

I'm pretty sure Steam is the most open about their terms of service, and how patches and download content are delivered. I think EA is just calling the Waaaaaahmbulance now.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
The blame is once again being laid at Valve's door, with Priestly saying that Steam's restrictive policies regarding downloadable content and interaction with customers. He didn't say that the game would never be available on Steam, but implied that Valve would have to change its policy before that could happen.
Could someone explain to me what this is about? Are Steam's policies that restrictive to DLC and customer interaction? WHAT'S GOING ON!? D:

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Jamous said:
Could someone explain to me what this is about? Are Steam's policies that restrictive to DLC and customer interaction? WHAT'S GOING ON!? D:
Restrictive customer interaction = EA can't freely skullfuck the customer

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Evilsanta said:
Required to have Origin? Screw that.

Sorry Bioware, You just lost a sale.
That's actually the reason I won't play ME2 as well. I bought the original on the PC, but before I got around to buying and playing the second they announced Origin and then said it would be required for ME3. I figured it was best I just leave my experience with the series at the fairly mediocre first entry and move on before I risked getting attached by playing the, by all accounts, superior sequel. Because what the hell is the point if I will absolutely never play the third title?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Jamous said:
Logan Westbrook said:
The blame is once again being laid at Valve's door, with Priestly saying that Steam's restrictive policies regarding downloadable content and interaction with customers. He didn't say that the game would never be available on Steam, but implied that Valve would have to change its policy before that could happen.
thats why:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536/22

im pretty sure he was forced by ?A to tell this crap.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I'm not surprised to be honest. EA wouldn't let a competitor like Steam within a hundred miles of their AAA release.

I don't think I'll get it then. Oh well, at least I still have Terraria.