Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Redefines "Epic"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Launch Trailer Redefines "Epic"

[video=5429]
The Mass Effect 3 launch trailer is out and holy kapowzers, it is awesome.

I've poked my share of fun at some of the overwrought, bombastic and flat-out loud pre-release videos for Mass Effect 3, but setting aside my gleeful cynicism for a moment, I have to admit that this launch trailer, the latest and greatest bit of cinematic overload to slip out of EA and BioWare, is pretty awesome.

Okay, fine. It's completely awesome. Incredibly, spine-tinglingly, mind-blowingly so. I am very impressed.

Yes, it's overwrought, with Shepard spouting a typical "do-or-die" speech over fast-cut clips of the galaxy getting bent over by the Reapers, and I could certainly do without that stupid "Inception BWAAAM" that's so inexplicably popular these days and the obligatory snippet of sex scene. But so what? It's got action! Explosions! Supporting characters! A huge fleet battle in space! If this doesn't get your blood pumping, I'm afraid there's just no helping you.

So are we excited or what? [Hint: The correct answer is "yes."] Mass Effect 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004FYEZMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330710148&sr=8-1] comes out on March 6, just four days from today, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Jul 9, 2008
Looked pretty good, but I really wouldn't say it's less overwrought than the other trailers. I mean, I could really do without them taking out the most blatant attempted emotional manipulation from the demo (the little boy) and sticking it right here.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Mass Effect 3 comes out on March 6, just four days from today, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
Unless, you know, you live in Europe and you have to wait seven more days. Bloody Americans.

I think the greatest thing about this trailer is when Shepard tells the Illusive Man to go to hell. Can't wait to say that to him myself. Space battles are also cool.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I'm a little excited about this. I didn't just have a nerdgasim. I'm not counting down the hours until arrival. I'm am calmly waiting until I can get my hands on Mass Effect 3 and then I'll go crazy.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
the trailer is awsome...
**here comes the "but"**
But lets not forget that explosions and sex is not what made mass effect great, it goes far deeper then that.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Suddenly I'm a little worried about my decision to let the Destiny Ascension blow up in the first game...

Jul 9, 2008
ChromaticWolfen said:
Andy Chalk said:
Mass Effect 3 comes out on March 6, just four days from today, for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.
Unless, you know, you live in Europe and you have to wait seven more days. Bloody Americans.

I think the greatest thing about this trailer is when Shepard tells the Illusive Man to go to hell. Can't wait to say that to him myself. Space battles are also cool.
That will be cool, but this is what I'm really waiting for:

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post: this trailer is good, but I don't think it quite reached the point of being as good as the ME2 launch trailer. Hell, when you can have a character tell us to "fight for the lost" and have it actually still sound pretty cool, you've done it right.

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
Why must you torment me like this Bioware? GAHHHH!

Well, time to slip into a self-induced coma.

KnightOfAthena

Dec 13, 2010
I got a little wet after watching the trailer.I've seen some messed up movies in the pass so a fake animated child dying doesn't tug on my hearts strings but the giant space battles and the possibility of wrecking the universe with Grunt and Wrex is just to epic to comprehend.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Meh, it was all right..... not enough Captain Anderson for my liking.

Shepard's opening speech was hella corny and incredibly self-important.....

But if Anderson had done it..... Then my mind would have overloaded with awesome.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011

I've fallen and I can't get up! Trailer... too... awesome.... heart... failing....

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Veloxe said:
Suddenly I'm a little worried about my decision to let the Destiny Ascension blow up in the first game...
You aren't the only one :/

So, this is exactly what the doctor ordered for me. I am officially hyped for this game.

And to anyone who thinks hype is some horrible disease, don't bother. I didn't see what the endings entailed, but I did see what the alleged problem with them was, and it doesn't bother me.

FUCKING.

HYPED.

My spine is still tingling just thinking of the music from the trailer.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The.Bard said:
I've fallen and I can't get up! Trailer... too... awesome.... heart... failing....
You win this thr...

You win today. You just win today.

... Wait, no, second place. The trailer won today. You get second place.

Bantis

Jan 27, 2009
"Go out there and give them hell. You were born for this."

Those type of cheesy, action movie over the top lines usually make me roll my eyes, but I have to say the guy who plays Garrus delivered that perfectly. Awesome.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Ehhhh........well.
I liked it.

Reminded me of some of the more awesome moments from SG1/Atlantis, DS9, and Star Wars.
I mean a huge part of sci-fi is gigantic space battles, flashy combat, and huge amounts of drama.

This trailer delivered exactly that.
I mean do you want to put some 5 minute long convo in a trailer or what will say:
"HEY LOOK AT THIS BOOM BANG WOW FLASH EXPLOSIONS AND TITS!"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, up until now I thought the assorted trailers for ME3 were distinctly on the "meh" side.

I now stand corrected, and cheerfully so.

Shepard is still a total ham, though.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
There is no way I'm missing out on this just because of all the bullshit. I'll just have to get a used copy.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]There is no way I'm missing out on this just because of all the bullshit. I'll just have to get a used copy.

Aye, buy it new and you may pay more. Don't buy it new, and you'll pay less... at least a bit. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell the Reapers that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR SEXY TIME!