Mass Effect 3 M.Player on Gold...have you survived?

Sleepless Gamer

Mar 18, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Last night I took my first few shots at playing a few gold difficulties in ME3's multiplayer with a few friends of mine. We managed to beat Giant and Ghost, and I'm just wondering how my fellow Escapists are doing with the challenge of the gold maps. What maps have you beaten? What tactics do you use? That is, anything specific other than "run for your frickin' life and take a few shots whenever you can".

There were 3 of us. We managed to beat Giant by ourselves but we picked up a random (From Ireland! :D) for Ghost. But yeah, the three of us were playing Quarian Infiltrators (the Irish guy on Ghost had a Salarian Engineer) and we picked to specifically fight against the Geth so we could all use Sabotage on them. It definitely helps, hacking the Pyros can really cause a nice distraction, and if you've got a Geth Prime's shields down the Pyro can do some real damage to him.

That was the gameplan, at least, and it worked up until about wave 4 or 5. After that it became "run for your frickin' life and take a few shots whenever you can." Those Geth Hunters are a bunch of psychopathic crack-heads now! Good god, check the patch notes and you'll see they actually buffed the hunters. They're soooooooo frickin' fast now, it's ridiculous! Seriously, you could have all possible avenues covered to where you and your squad are holding out, but within 10 seconds you can have 5 hunters running around your area and seriously messing up your face. Be that as it may, we still struggled through and beat 2 stages, making it to wave 10 on a couple other attempts before I had to call it a night.

So yeah, Sniper Squad: White (called that since we all changed are armor to white and looked like a bunch of storm troopers running around) against the Geth was our strat. What's yours? Any prefered base/class formation/enemy you prefer if you're taking on gold?

And on a side-note, anyone else disappointed with their Victory Pack and Commendation Pack? I was. I got seriously hosed. From the Victory Pack I got a frickin' Locust SMG, and from the Commendation Pack I got the Crusader Shotgun. Yeah...this shotgun is worthless...absolutely and without a doubt...especially if you've already got the Geth Plasma Shotgun (which I do) which has far more stopping power, better accuracy at range (you can literally snipe people with it), and can actually been fired from the hip with a decent degree of accuracy. The Crusader has pinpoint accuracy up to about 10 feet in front of you, then it spreads out like a traditional shotgun. Don't bother trying to shoot from the hip, you'll kill nothing but gnats and mosquitoes. Annnnd yeah, it takes about a full clip to kill one Cannibal. (My weapons test for this shotgun was on Silver difficulty against the Reapers. 1 charged geth shotgun or 2 regular blasts is enough to kill a cannibal, took 3 to 4 shots with the Crusader to bring one down. And as the gun's description specifically tells you: the pinpoint accuracy doesn't leave room for error. So unless you're exceptional at predicting which way those wily enemies are going to suddenly turn or roll, you're going to be missing a lot. And since it takes 3 to 4 shots to kill even a basic target anyways, it just makes the shotgun very ineffective.

>.> both of the friends I was playing Gold with got the Valiant sniper rifle...the only weapon out of the bunch that I actually wanted. From what they said it's pretty sweet.

So yeah, I feel like I got royally screwed.

Oh yeah, and as ineffective as that shotgun is, at least it weighs as much as a frickin' Widow. Oh wait, that's another bad thing.
I find the best way to counter the hunters is to have an asari adept/vangaurd on the team, the can toss a stasis bubble down if they have a keen eye, and locking the missile troops can be a great deal of help also.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
RJ 17 said:
A bit of warning/advice: if you get by with your Vanguard by doing the charge-nova-charge-nova combo, you might want to rethink your strategy on Gold. It might work for Bronze and the first half of Silver, but on gold it's a very good way to find yourself getting shot from every enemy on the map.
That's what I do when there aren't many enemies. It does work well for bronze, but it's basically suicide to do that method in later parts of silver. Mostly what I do when there are a lot of enemies around is use my assult rifle to do damage and then use charge to replenish my shields. The shield boost I have with the fitness perk makes it so I have enough shield to give my charge long enough to replenish (thanks to, in part, the fact I have a 200% increase to recharge rate). If I have long enough, sometimes I use shockwave to hit enemies that are behind walls and cover, though that's normally when I'm not charging into the area.

Is that a decent strategy for gold as long as I'm not stupid enough to charge into an enemy spawn area, where I'd likely get murdered in all of two seconds?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Only had randoms, so no. I imagine if I was doing Bro-op I could. Got to rank 5 or so with 3 other randoms though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Kapol said:
RJ 17 said:
A bit of warning/advice: if you get by with your Vanguard by doing the charge-nova-charge-nova combo, you might want to rethink your strategy on Gold. It might work for Bronze and the first half of Silver, but on gold it's a very good way to find yourself getting shot from every enemy on the map.
That's what I do when there aren't many enemies. It does work well for bronze, but it's basically suicide to do that method in later parts of silver. Mostly what I do when there are a lot of enemies around is use my assult rifle to do damage and then use charge to replenish my shields. The shield boost I have with the fitness perk makes it so I have enough shield to give my charge long enough to replenish (thanks to, in part, the fact I have a 200% increase to recharge rate). If I have long enough, sometimes I use shockwave to hit enemies that are behind walls and cover, though that's normally when I'm not charging into the area.

Is that a decent strategy for gold as long as I'm not stupid enough to charge into an enemy spawn area, where I'd likely get murdered in all of two seconds?
Ehhhhh it's hard to tell, I haven't actually seen a Vanguard in action on Gold. What I can tell you is that if you thrust yourself at an enemy, any other enemies near that enemy will be pumping you full of large quantities of lead. Just gotta be REALLY careful with Charge on gold, seriously the attack angles that some enemies get on you seem ridiculous. As far as I've seen the safest thing to do on gold is to stick with your team and focus fire. I can see where Charge would be useful for making an escape (and trust me, half of Gold difficulty is making escapes :p) so you can Charge at a spare enemy that's flanking from the direction you and your group are running, that way you can obviously get a teleport and free shield recharge. But using it in combat, I don't think it would be a good idea. But again, I've no evidence to support this since I haven't seen a Vanguard in Gold yet. Just sounds like a good way to get shot...a LOT.

The enemies are absolutely relentless. And when they focus fire, you can find yourself downed very quickly.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Only had randoms, so no. I imagine if I was doing Bro-op I could. Got to rank 5 or so with 3 other randoms though.
Yeah, I'd say you need at least 3 friends in a party with mics in order to take on Gold...I shudder to think what a Gold match would be like with a bunch of randoms.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
RJ 17 said:
hazabaza1 said:
Yeah, I'd say you need at least 3 friends in a party with mics in order to take on Gold...I shudder to think what a Gold match would be like with a bunch of randoms.
TO be honest, it wasn't that bad. The main problem was that 3 of us (including myself) were Salarians. Probably the squishiest of the races.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
I managed to make my way through two maps on gold, namely White and Giant. They were both against Cerberus, and I was the lowest scoring member of the team... but still, I had fun.

I really want to get in a team with two Quarian Infiltrators and two Salarian Engineers and see how we would far against the Geth on Gold. That would be pretty interesting.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
tendaji said:
Only against Cerberus so far, I've had a ton of training from the beta that they are basically no longer a threat against me anymore. Reapers rape my team on Silver so I'm afraid of what they do on Gold, and Geth love pyros WAYYY tooo much
Agreed! the only enemy I'll face on gold is Cerberus, the rest make me...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
RJ 17 said:
hazabaza1 said:
TO be honest, it wasn't that bad. The main problem was that 3 of us (including myself) were Salarians. Probably the squishiest of the races.
Actually like I mentioned in my OP, we had a Salarian Engineer when we did Ghost and I've gotta say that the Decoy ability proved to be very, VERY useful. Kinda like a Quarian Engineer's turret: it provides a great speed-bump/distraction that holds up the enemy for a while.

But yeah, straight Salarian doesn't really have much meat to it. I mean at least with my squad of Quarian Infiltrators our idea was "use widows to absolutely decimate anything before it can get too close."

putowtin said:
tendaji said:
Only against Cerberus so far, I've had a ton of training from the beta that they are basically no longer a threat against me anymore. Reapers rape my team on Silver so I'm afraid of what they do on Gold, and Geth love pyros WAYYY tooo much
Agreed! the only enemy I'll face on gold is Cerberus, the rest make me...

I soiled my armor I was so scared!!!

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I tried Gold in one session, and didn't even get past wave 1. Sadly, I think it's mainly down to the same problem that usually happens when playing random online games: even if the rest of the team have their mics on, nobody will bother to talk and head off to so their own thing.

In fact the last time, I was trying Gold and the team had flatlined for the fourth time in a row, one of the other players finally pipes up "you people aren't ready for gold". Perhaps you could have tried opening your mouth earlier, thing might have gone a little differently.

Even when playing on the likes of silver, it's incredibly frustrating when your attempts to alert your absent squadmates to the oncoming Brute/Banshee combo fall on inattentive, if not necessarily deaf, ears.

Ratboy1337

Mar 21, 2012
I have survived gold a few times. It's definitely a challenge, but if you have a good group with players that compliment each other's play styles, it is significantly easier. Also, I think the extraction wave is easier than silver.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
RJ 17 said:
And on a side-note, anyone else disappointed with their Victory Pack and Commendation Pack? I was. I got seriously hosed. From the Victory Pack I got a frickin' Locust SMG, and from the Commendation Pack I got the Crusader Shotgun. Yeah...this shotgun is worthless...absolutely and without a doubt...especially if you've already got the Geth Plasma Shotgun (which I do) which has far more stopping power, better accuracy at range (you can literally snipe people with it), and can actually been fired from the hip with a decent degree of accuracy. The Crusader has pinpoint accuracy up to about 10 feet in front of you, then it spreads out like a traditional shotgun. Don't bother trying to shoot from the hip, you'll kill nothing but gnats and mosquitoes. Annnnd yeah, it takes about a full clip to kill one Cannibal. (My weapons test for this shotgun was on Silver difficulty against the Reapers. 1 charged geth shotgun or 2 regular blasts is enough to kill a cannibal, took 3 to 4 shots with the Crusader to bring one down. And as the gun's description specifically tells you: the pinpoint accuracy doesn't leave room for error. So unless you're exceptional at predicting which way those wily enemies are going to suddenly turn or roll, you're going to be missing a lot. And since it takes 3 to 4 shots to kill even a basic target anyways, it just makes the shotgun very ineffective.

>.> both of the friends I was playing Gold with got the Valiant sniper rifle...the only weapon out of the bunch that I actually wanted. From what they said it's pretty sweet.

Oh yeah, and as ineffective as that shotgun is, at least it weighs as much as a frickin' Widow. Oh wait, that's another bad thing.
Yeah, I got that stupid shotgun too. I already have the Geth shotgun, the Discipline, the Wraith and the Graal Spike thrower. I did not need another shotgun. I wanted the pistol but my friend said it sucks so I don't fee too bad.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Swyftstar said:
RJ 17 said:

Yeah, I got that stupid shotgun too. I already have the Geth shotgun, the Discipline, the Wraith and the Graal Spike thrower. I did not need another shotgun. I wanted the pistol but my friend said it sucks so I don't fee too bad.
I do think that the weapons were supposed to be mediocre by design...not as good as the kick-ass weapons for each weapon class, but better than the standard versions. From what I hear the sniper rifle is actually pretty damn good, making an arguable case against the B. Widow since apparently the Valiant has almost 0 recoil. But this shotgun...good lord it's just depressingly bad...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MarsProbe said:
I tried Gold in one session, and didn't even get past wave 1. Sadly, I think it's mainly down to the same problem that usually happens when playing random online games: even if the rest of the team have their mics on, nobody will bother to talk and head off to so their own thing.

In fact the last time, I was trying Gold and the team had flatlined for the fourth time in a row, one of the other players finally pipes up "you people aren't ready for gold". Perhaps you could have tried opening your mouth earlier, thing might have gone a little differently.

Even when playing on the likes of silver, it's incredibly frustrating when your attempts to alert your absent squadmates to the oncoming Brute/Banshee combo fall on inattentive, if not necessarily deaf, ears.
Seriously, you can get away with not talking in Bronze and Silver...but good and constant communication is a MUST in Gold. "Prime coming from the right." "Hunter in the hallway." "Phantom coming from behind (don't they always? :p *drum rimshot*)." You've gotta be calling out where the enemy is otherwise you get flanked by 13 Hunters that will be more than happy to show you the business end of their shotguns.

Sleepless Gamer

Mar 18, 2012
I recently actually succeeded at it with a bunch of randoms with no mic's. Against geth and I had my asari adept out, which is hardly ideal. All i will say is i'm damn glad we were all level 18 and over.

And yeah I pretty much used all my medi-gel and cobra missiles.

Damn geth primes and their cornering my squishy backside >.>